• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RegionThree Released For All Non-New 3DS Models - No Game Or Flashcard Required!

L95

This works on the latest firmware.

I know that. I'm asking in case of a future update that blocks this.

(If my last post was unclear, I meant testing using the internet browser on an outdated version, if it would force an update, not the exploit itself)

Hasney

Isn't it obvious?

New Nintendo 3DS Isn't out in all regions until next month at least, and system firmware can be updated before then. The point of this is not having to buy an import system for import games. All people who have a 3DS must update to transfer their shit to N3DS. If this would have been released on say, the 12th of February, I could have bought a N3DS, transferred my shit, and used my old 2DS as my dedicated long-term import machine. Now, Nintendo has time on their side and if things go bad for us, I will STILL have to buy a JPN 3DS.

They should have waited.

This doesn't work on any New 3DS, even on a lower firmware than the latest one now.

EDIT: I get your point now. Oh well, don't think it would have been a good reason to delay it.

Dunkley

I know that. I'm asking in case of a future update that blocks this.

Well, it says "this also allows you to bypass mandatory gamecard firmware updates" and works with older firmware, so I think you should be able to use the browser without updating the firmware.

Sorry for misunderstanding your post.

Kolma

Isn't it obvious?

New Nintendo 3DS Isn't out in all regions until next month at least, and system firmware can be updated before then. The point of this is not having to buy an import system for import games. All people who have a 3DS must update to transfer their shit to N3DS. If this would have been released on say, the 12th of February, I could have bought a N3DS, transferred my shit, and used my old 2DS as my dedicated long-term import machine. Now, Nintendo has time on their side and if things go bad for us, I will STILL have to buy a JPN 3DS.

They should have waited.

This is exactly what I said!

HUELEN10

This doesn't work on any New 3DS, even on a lower firmware than the latest one now.
I know that, but you need to update BOTH SYSTEMS to do a transfer, meaning that by the time it comes out, Nintendo could block this, and after transfer, my 2DS can no longer be my dedicated import machine.

Kolma fucking gets it. These smaller device teams need to learn to hold their horses; just because you can release ASAP doesn't mean you should!

L95

Well, it says "this also allows you to bypass mandatory gamecard firmware updates" and works with older firmware, so I think you should be able to use the browser without updating the firmware.

Sorry for misunderstanding your post.

Hm, okay. Sorry if it was a stupid question.

Cool then, no worries. I was just wondering as the game I would like to import is still a few months away from JP release.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't it obvious?

They should have waited.
To be fair, the exploit that made this possible was released weeks ago.

Kolma

No one is talking about using this on new 3DS.

As it currently is old 3DS is at 9.4 new 3DS is at 9.4
Transfer old to new, use new for games, old for imports.

HOWEVER since they didn't wait Nintendo could update the firmware to lets say 9.4.1 where this exploit does not work.

THEN if you wanted to transfer you would HAVE to update both old and new 3DS to 9.4.1 which would break the exploit on the old 3DS.

Why does everyone that hear this issue not understand this and instantly goes "you can't use this on new 3DS no matter the firmware" WE KNOW.

HUELEN10

To be fair, the exploit that made this possible was released weeks ago.
Point stands: should have waited. At best, they should have said something like "don't trade in your old 3DS after you upgrade to the New one, we've got something cooking" and leave it at that.

Hattori

Banned
I know that, but you need to update BOTH SYSTEMS to do a transfer, meaning that by the time it comes out, Nintendo could block this, and after transfer, my 2DS can no longer be my dedicated import machine.

Kolma fucking gets it. These smaller device teams need to learn to hold their horses; just because you can release ASAP doesn't mean you should!
ah I see what you mean now, I forgot you need to update for transfers.

MCD

The simplicity of this hack just tells how how absurd Nintendo's stance on region locking really is.

Rich!

Not so much. Unless it's made possible to transfer our systems over, many of us with eShop purchases will still be out of luck. I have over half my 3DS library digitally, so in the long run this doesn't really help :(

You will be able to with Gateway if this region switching thing works out.

Isotope

This is more than likely ignorant on my part, but regarding transferring stuff (Like 3DS to N3DS), couldn't you just delete the launcher from your SD card root and then transfer fine? Or does the exploit write some data into your root?

Again, I'm ignorant on this, so sorry if this is a dumb question.

Kolma

Still wouldn't be a good reason to delay this. It's reusing the Gateway exploit which was already released.

Yeah but Gateway required a purchase
this does not.
Gateway also promotes piracy which this also does not.

Now news sites are going to start talking about it and it's going to be widespread so it forces Nintendo's hand quicker.

chunk3rvd

Yeah but Gateway required a purchase
this does not.
Gateway also promotes piracy which this also does not.

Now news sites are going to start talking about it and it's going to be widespread so it forces Nintendo's hand quicker.

Bullshit. Nintendo will be much quicker responding to Gateway which allows piracy than they will to this hack which just allows region free. No way that it hasn't been on their radar for ages as the Gateway hack was touted as in the works several weeks before it dropped. If you want to be mad at someone direct it at the gateway team for releasing their exploit last week. Smealum couldn't put the toothpaste back in the tube so there was no sensible reason for him to delay the release of this exploit

Edit: Got it working. For anyone that keeps getting errors, try to bookmark the page along with clearing your cache.

Got it working on a 9.2 US 3DS with a JP copy of Kingdom Hearts 3D. Going to see if my JP 3DS can get a US game up and running, too.

Awesome, Smash US works flawlessly on my JP 3DS. I plan on getting a JP n3DS, so i think I'll use my current JP 3DS as a backup 3DS for playing all physical games, and I'll use my n3DS and my US 3DS for eShop stuff that I want to buy.

Man, I did not expect to wake up to a region free 3DS this morning. Good times!

Jacqli

Finally I can import a physical copy of Shin Megami Tensei IV
and use it
. And I should take a look at Japanese games that I've missed this whole time. Great great great news.

komorebi

I know this goes without saying but this is the only thought that comes to me when seeing workarounds like this. Nintendo is such fucking dinosaur of a company. I love their games and I love my 3DS. But between NoJ being run by a room of deceased corporate shareholders' brains kept alive in vats and NoA's batshit leadership and marketing decisions, its just ridiculous.

Tethering the 3DS' web bowser so you can swap any cartridges you're lugging around when out and about with your portable system? These are dark times, my friend. Dark times indeed. My genuine sympathies to those who jump through these hoops just to have some freedom of choice.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I was excited about this, until I realized that everything I want will eventually come over here lol. Senran Kagura 2, Project Mirai...

This is FUCKING AMAZING! I am ordering an SD card reader now since I don't have one but I'll be testing my sk burst when I can finally put shit in my sd.

Danj

So OK, I'm in the UK and have a UK 3DS XL. Can someone recommend me some games that were released in North America but not here, that I can buy to try this out with?

Top Bottom