• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most powerful magic users in fiction

I am currently watching Doctor Strange and now I am remembering all the amazing feats he is capable of in the comics. And now I'm starting to wondering who are other powerful magic users in fiction. Spanning from television, comic books, video games, novels, etc, just who are the wizards, witches, warlocks, sorcerers, sorceresses and other magic users who would be at the tip top of the A list?

Jesus fed a crowd with barely anything, walked on water, cured disease, resurrected people and himself. His dad is pretty OP too.

Magi from

latest

This is a rabbit hole you're never gonna come back from, turn around while you still can.

I'm partial to reality benders myself. This little shit ruined the second season of what was a generally alright first season of anime:

HaruhiSuzumiya.jpg

Cause apparently she can just will whatever she wants into happening or not happening, depending on her mood and subconscious.

*EDIT* Aw shit misread the OP, technically reality bending is also magic no?

If we're going for the dumb meme answer though, it's Tom Bombadil obviously.

I'm also partial to Lady Galadriel.

Apt101

John Constantine can essentially do anything given the time. He can't fire mystical bolts of energy at a whim or fly around like other magic users, but he can warp reality on a grand scale, walk the planes, or travel through time with the right incantation.

Sorceresses in Final Fantasy 8, since they all pass their power to only one Witch at a time, the "active" witch inherits all the previous sorceresses power.

WaterAstro

Doctor Strange is extremely overpowered if he would unleash literally everything he has.

This is a rabbit hole you're never gonna come back from, turn around while you still can.

I'm partial to reality benders myself. This little shit ruined the second season of what was a generally alright first season of anime:

HaruhiSuzumiya.jpg

Cause apparently she can just will whatever she wants into happening or not happening, depending on her mood and subconscious.

Well, uh, being a God isn't magic really... but I guess we don't really have a way to determine what is magic and what is not.

Pau

Ged might be up there despite the magic system in the Earthsea books following a different philosophy than something like Harry Potter.

Scarlet Witch if you consider whatever the fuck she does as doing magic on some level.

zeemumu

Gandalf (LotR)

Grindlewald (Harry Potter)

Aegwynn (WoW, just going off of mages)

This is more in their respective universes than overall because either or them could beat Grindlewald

shira

HaruhiSuzumiya.jpg

*EDIT* Aw shit misread the OP, technically reality bending is also magic no?

If we're going for the dumb meme answer though, it's Tom Bombadil obviously.

I'm also partial to Lady Galadriel.

image.php

Well, uh, being a God isn't magic really... but I guess we don't really have a way to determine what is magic and what is not.

I mean, that's the trick: what counts as magic?

I could claim Simon the Digger from Gurren Lagann is a pretty god tier "magic user". Having the sheer unbridled power of evolution and advancement through Spiral Energy, which can essentially break reality using cognition, is a great power; but does it count as magic?

Not to mention the idea that "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Slayven

Ged might be up there despite the magic system in the Earthsea books following a different philosophy than something like Harry Potter.

Scarlet Witch if you consider whatever the fuck she does as doing magic on some level.

Black Alice
0e51fb1c45e0ba46debe7d424128bff2.jpg

Rand al'Thor from the Wheel of Time, and I don't think it's particularly close. They obviously operate on totally different rulesets but the people mentioned from the Harry Potter universe just aren't on the same level. Rand is essentially a god, or at least has god-like powers, by the end of the series. Shit, by like halfway through he essentially has the power to destroy the world if he wished. His supporting cast is also incredibly powerful although not all of them are channelers (magic users). The three male leads all have intense reality-warping effects although they cannot directly control them.

Probably some Marvel comics bullshit too but that stuff tends to barely make sense so it's not worth getting into.

TDLink

Doctor Strange is a good contender. Definitely not anyone from Harry Potter. Dr. Fate is also good.

Darth Nihilus from Star Wars maybe as well?

Tacitus_

Raistlin is a pretty good choice. He got so powerful that he usurped a god and everything else after that.

Magnus the Red from Warhammer 40k.

Magnus instead of the Emperor?

HeresyStamp.png

(and ymmv if psychic powers should count as magic:
Lheor: Obviously, else you'd not have had me drag his half-dead body through your magic gate.
Khayon: Please do not call it magic. )

Ganhyun

Magi from

While powerful, unless your GM sucked at enforcing the magic being coincidental you still had some good limitations on you.

Elminster is OP to the point of ridiculousness.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Elminster_Aumar

Well, he was Mystra's lover basically and favorite magic user.

My other option would be Pug/Milamber.

Pug Con'doin from the Krondor series.

lol, at least I mentioned him first :p

robosllim

Pre-mending planeswalkers from Magic: the Gathering are practically gods. Their signature skill is to move between planes (essentially planets, just separated by dimensional voids rather than conventional vacuum), but the super powerful ones can also create and destroy them. They're all effectively immortal, nearly invulnerable as long as they're not caught off guard, and can do all the normal magic stuff like fly and shoot energy bolts and stuff.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I only finished the Harry Potter movies last month.... Why are people stating Grindlewald? My memory might be off but I don't remember any crazy feats he has done.

Im very casual when it comes to HP but from the movies I would say. Dumbledore is the most powerful followed by Voldemort.

I still don't get what the deal was with Harry Potter. He could keep up while fighting Voldemort but none of his spells were all that impressive. Power levels were kinda weird in those movies.

Top Bottom