• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switched to android from iOS, immediately miss imessage :(

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
That doesn't really explain why it gets 'hate' though. Why would an apple service being only on apple products be a problem.

If it didn't exist, a swathe of people would have a richer texting experience because everyone would be using whatsapp, messenger, or some other platform agnostic service.

If it didn't exist, a swathe of people would have a richer texting experience because everyone would be using whatsapp, messenger, or some other platform agnostic service.

I haven't been on Android (EVO 3D RIP) since Apple released the 4S. Does Android have a stock messenger that is like iMessenger now? I will have to check, but I am pretty sure most of the Android friends only use the stock app (a few of them use Facebook Messenger which causes me to keep it on my phone urg). I'm going to have to ask.

Here's another blow against Whatsapp. International texting has recently become free with AT&T unlimited. I don't know about the other US carriers, but that pretty much kills any reason to use anything other than the default option.

I see this egocentric view again and again here. You having a certain contract doesn't change the fact the person abroad still has to pay to write you a simple text message back. and heavens forbid he/she wants to send you a pic!

Meanwhile whatsapp allows me to have group chats across multiple continents and phone brands, with everyone being able to share photos etc to each other at zero costs or hassle.
I can do it with people I don't want to add on Facebook or even chat with a tourguide during my vacation that needs to send me pics of the time schedule etc.

That sounds like it's up to Android to create a default system messaging app for their OS though. Apple already gave their customers a rich texting experience.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
I haven't been on Android (EVO 3D RIP) since Apple released the 4S. Does Android have a stock messenger that is like iMessenger now? I will have to check, but I am pretty sure most of the Android friends only use the stock app (a few of them use Facebook Messenger which causes me to keep it on my phone urg). I'm going to have to ask.

it does, but google sucks immensely at the messaging game. hangouts is getting replaced in favor of allo, but no one uses allo, so almost everyone on android (that i know of) uses whatsapp or messenger. and really, that's great.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
That sounds like it's up to Android to create a default system messaging app for their OS though. Apple already gave their customers a rich texting experience.

it does, hangouts/allo, and most importantly, they're available on iphone. if apple made imessage available on other phones, it wouldnt be a problem. google is lost when it comes to messaging and cant make a single fully featured app that uses phone numbers so messenger and whatsapp won.

any of those apps being the most popular messaging app would be fine though, because theyre all available on android/iphone/desktop

mid83

At the end of the day, this discussion just amounts to people talking about how stupid and backwards Americans are because we aren't using WhatsApp or some other 3rd party messaging app.

We get it, WhatsApp is vastly superior and we are all losers for not using it, but that won't change the fact that the overwhelming majority of people here use default texting apps to chat. So if you want to talk to people, you are are going to use what everybody else uses.

No amount of yelling and screaming about how awful iMessage is, or how Apple users are elitist assholes (seriously though...do any iPhone users even care about green/blue bubble thing...i sure as hell don't pay attention to it) is going to change the method that the vast majority of Americans use to chat among themselves.

Tigress

Here's my simple take on it. Most my friends and family have iphones and for the few that didn't just text over SMS texting (is that what it's called, the standard phone texting) is just fine. It's not worth trying to cajole my friends and family all to download an app just cause I think it would be better (as I said, for my dad and stepmom even getting them to text was an accomplishment). Not to mention imessage does fine with me.

So why would I change?

Now think, that's what a lot of people in the US are at. Sure, whatsapp got universal in other countries, but it didn't here and most people don't want to bother with a seperate app (especially one not everyone else they know is on it).

(and anyways, some one mentioned whatsapp shares data with FB... that alone nixxes it for me. Fuck that, I avoid having FB's apps on my phone, not going to put one that shares stuff on my phone with FB, that's the entire point of not having FB's apps on my phone! Personally I am glad that it didnt' become universal here cause of that. I already want to gripe at some one to stop using FB message to message me. She doesn't have an iphone either but a text message would work just fine for what she messages me for).

ITT: I find out that people care a lot more about their messaging apps than I do.

I would never choose a phone for the messaging app, since basically all of them do what I want to.

I see this egocentric view again and again here. You having a certain contract doesn't change the fact the person abroad still has to pay to write you a simple text message back. and heavens forbid he/she wants to send you a pic!

Meanwhile whatsapp allows me to have group chats across multiple continents and phone brands, with everyone being able to share photos etc to each other at zero costs or hassle.
I can do it with people I don't want to add on Facebook or even chat with a tourguide during my vacation that needs to send me pics of the time schedule etc.

I don't text anyone abroad, so that doesn't apply to me. That's fantastic that it is a feature you require, but what people aren't understanding is that for a lot of people it doesn't. People asked why WhatsApp isn't being used, and people responded with reasons, and the reply back was those reasons were stupid.

You're also speaking to a group of relatively young people. My parents aren't installing WhatsApp. They really don't need to, because again of the huge presence of iPhones.

But even when I was on Android, the only thing I ever missed really was the ability to construct longer messages. That's it. And should I go back, I still won't be installing it.

it does, hangouts/allo, and most importantly, they're available on iphone. if apple made imessage available on other phones, it wouldnt be a problem. google is lost when it comes to messaging and cant make a single fully featured app that uses phone numbers so messenger and whatsapp won.

any of those apps being the most popular messaging app would be fine though, because theyre all available on android/iphone/desktop
Right but they keep fumbling, especially with Allos sms integration being poor compared to imessage straight out of the gate.

bbalde

Whatsapp user here... It's very simple, I live in Africa and even the cheapest Android can run it. When in Asia I just switch to WeChat. You don't have to be restricted to one messaging system, use where friends, family, coworkers use the most.

I tried to move my family to more secured platform, not even bothered to download it.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Right but they keep fumbling, especially with Allos sms integration being poor compared to imessage straight out of the gate.

i completely agree, and i don't generally recommend hangouts or allo for that reason, but i would still suggest allo or hangouts over imessage because only being available for download on a single platform is a much, much worse flaw.

Dalek

At the end of the day, this discussion just amounts to people talking about how stupid and backwards Americans are because we aren't using WhatsApp or some other 3rd party messaging app.

We get it, WhatsApp is vastly superior and we are all losers for not using it, but that won't change the fact that the overwhelming majority of people here use default texting apps to chat. So if you want to talk to people, you are are going to use what everybody else uses.

No amount of yelling and screaming about how awful iMessage is, or how Apple users are elitist assholes (seriously though...do any iPhone users even care about green/blue bubble thing...i sure as hell don't pay attention to it) is going to change the method that the vast majority of Americans use to chat among themselves.

Dropping truth in here.

The best way to answer sarcasms is not answering at all.

I’ll be the judge of that.

this_guy

It's the whatsapp users that are always bringing it up and telling people in the US that they should a messaging app that their contacts aren't using.

I will never be able to wrap my head around this thought process.

Yup this sort of blue/green discriminatory mindset is downright bonkers. But then again I do recall a “green” friend asking me this once... “you know mate, if there’s a smartphone brand out there that comes closest to the definition of a white supremacist phone, what d’ya think it is?” Plenty of crazies on both sides :-D

Kronotech

So to sum up this thread:

"My communication piece is better"
"No mine is"
"lol(other country)"
"I literally only know 1 person..."
"Well I literally only know 1 person..."

And repeat?

For non US peeps, the way to think of this is:

Everyone in the US uses SMS, it's free and default.

If you are an iPhone user texting other iPhone users, you automatically use a better underlying protocol by default.

Some people use FB Messenger if that's not enough.

Some people use WhatsApp if they have international friends.

Goodlife

For non US peeps, the way to think of this is:

Everyone in the US uses SMS, it's free and default.

If you are an iPhone user texting other iPhone users, you automatically use a better underlying protocol by default.

Some people use FB Messenger if that's not enough.

Some people use WhatsApp if they have international friends.

SMS is also free in UK.
But it's shit

I recently started using WhatsApp to talk to family in London. So far I'm not impressed mainly due to iPad support and desktop app issues. I don't understand why anyone with an iPhone would download a separate app to do the same thing the native messaging app does. SMS is fine for when I talk to my android friends.

Jonnax

I recently started using WhatsApp to talk to family in London. So far I'm not impressed mainly due to iPad support and desktop app issues. I don't understand why anyone with an iPhone would download a separate app to do the same thing the native messaging app does. SMS is fine for when I talk to my android friends.

Because your android friends don't want to receive shitty SMS messages.

Because your android friends don't want to receive shitty SMS messages.
Well my android friends don't care enough to use WhatsApp either so.... I don't know what the default messaging app is for android now but that's what my android friends use.

This topic has many parallels with the Euro/American food thread from a few days ago.

Hattori

Banned
Animoji makes WhatsApp obsolete
9e250ee7-beff-44ca-b1vjkdz.gif

ty_hot

So I went to check how many people have Androids in the USA because so many people claim "i dont know anyone that is not an iphone user".

https://www.google.es/amp/s/www.rec...9038/iphone-apple-android-sales-united-states

55% of the market is Androids. Unless you talk to half a dozen people, I find it very very very unlikely that you dont talk to people with android phones. Come on, I have lots.of conversations in my Whatsapp, some people that I talked once or twice, most of them have some kind of photo/location/contact on them, it would be a pain in the ass to use SMS instead.

Also, people who buy iphones dont have money to have a data plan? This is the biggest joke. Everybody has internet all the time, specially those that pay 300+ om a phone (im even starting with prices from used iphones, not to say those that pay full price...).

nickcv

I just don't understand how anyone would ever be fine with the option of sending a sms.

Probably you guys is the US mostly text words but for us is pictures, locations, videos and voice most of the time. If my messages for some reason could randomly revert to sms the recipient would lose half of the conversation.

Messages that are not going through the Internet are just inadeguate, and that is why most of you guys in the US dread the green bubble I assume, but your solution doesn't cover anyone that might have a different device.

On top of that any function that basically forces me to not being able to buy 90% of the devices that exist in the market sounds like a hindrance and something that would be worth prosecuting for monopoly charges.

People in this thread made comparisons to the browsers war and the EU made it clear with Microsoft that you cannot abuse the fact that you are the market leader

fbutron

Mexico reporting in! only WhatsApp is used here even Iphone users have to use it because everyone use it and they will get out of the loop

this_guy

So I went to check how many people have Androids in the USA because so many people claim "i dont know anyone that is not an iphone user".

https://www.google.es/amp/s/www.rec...9038/iphone-apple-android-sales-united-states

55% of the market is Androids. Unless you talk to half a dozen people, I find it very very very unlikely that you dont talk to people with android phones. Come on, I have lots.of conversations in my Whatsapp, some people that I talked once or twice, most of them have some kind of photo/location/contact on them, it would be a pain in the ass to use SMS instead.

Also, people who buy iphones dont have money to have a data plan? This is the biggest joke. Everybody has internet all the time, specially those that pay 300+ om a phone (im even starting with prices from used iphones, not to say those that pay full price...).

Less people have whatsapp in the US than there are iPhone users. What part of that is difficult to understand? What good is a messaging app where the majority of your contacts don't have whatsapp?

I just don't understand how anyone would ever be fine with the option of sending a sms.

Probably you guys is the US mostly text words but for us is pictures, locations, videos and voice most of the time. If my messages for some reason could randomly revert to sms the recipient would lose half of the conversation.

Messages that are not going through the Internet are just inadeguate, and that is why most of you guys in the US dread the green bubble I assume, but your solution doesn't cover anyone that might have a different device.

On top of that any function that basically forces me to not being able to buy 90% of the devices that exist in the market sounds like a hindrance and something that would be worth prosecuting for monopoly charges.

People in this thread made comparisons to the browsers war and the EU made it clear with Microsoft that you cannot abuse the fact that you are the market leader

K

^^^See, my response to this could have been done with sms. I didnt need an animoji in the response.

This thread:

OP: "I switched to Android, but I miss Messages, because that's because that's what the majority of people in my country uses to communicate."
WhatsApp user: "You should use WhatsApp, because that's what the majority of people in my country uses to communicate."
Messenges user: "That's cool, but we use Messages, because that's what the majority of people in my country uses to communicate."
WhatsApp user: "What? That's stupid. Stop being so elitist."

Top Bottom