• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Houston woman’s dog discovers newborn baby in a Walmart bag

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Update 3:

Update:

Her parents have not been found (not that they deserve her), and the family that she has been placed with wants to adopt her.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Baby-Chloe-moves-closer-to-adoption-4540388.php

I really hope that all goes well for this little one.

Update 2:
So it was a tooth! News segment at the link.

An abandoned infant's baby tooth may be the key to finding her parents.

Baby Chloe, discovered in a plastic Walmart bag just an hour after her birth with her umbilical cord still attached, has a rare early tooth that may help authorities flesh out the newborn's family history.

The natal tooth, seen in only one of every 2,000 infants, is the latest development in the hunt for Chloe's parents since a woman walking her dog discovered the baby outside an apartment complex in Cypress, Tex., on Feb. 19, ABC News reported.

Houston police have also turned to world-famous forensic sketch artist Lois Gibson to draw up composite sketches of what Chloe's mom and dad would probably look like.

Gibson, named "Most Successful Forensic Artist" by Guinness World Records, made the renderings by doing an age progression on Chloe's appearance.

The pastel drawings show a man and woman in their early 20s with several of Chloe's distinguishing features, like her gray eyes, her dark brown hair and her signature smile.

"The people would recognize that smile," Gibson told ABC's "Good Morning America." "It's a ready smile, and then all I had to do was put teeth."

This is reportedly the first time law enforcement officials have tried such a technique. But some forensic art experts have raised their eyebrows at the drawings' precision.

"I doubt [the sketches] are going to be accurate at all … not even in the ballpark of likeness," Steve Loftin, head of the forensic imaging unit at the Center for Missing and Exploited Children, told ABC News.

"Trying to add years to a baby's face without any reference at all — we could not do that and be sure of any accuracy," he said.

Gibson, who has never done an age progression on a child as young as Chloe, acknowledged that random factors, like weight gain, acne and dyed hair, could affect the renderings' exactness.

"It might just look half like one and half like the other," Gibson told the Houston Chronicle. "I think I have a 50 per cent chance of the sketches looking more like one than the other."

Authorities hope either Chloe's parents or other relatives come forward to claim the child. Determining the parents' identities has been especially difficult for authorities because it appears the mother never visited doctors for prenatal care.

Chloe's parents will face charges if found.

The tiny bundle of joy, named by her rescuers at Texas Children's Hospital, remains in the care of Child Protective Services. But there is no doubt she will soon "be placed in a loving home," Harris County Sheriff's Department spokeswoman Christina Garza told ABC News.

"There is no shortage of people who want her."

Possible sketch of the parents:
EA9XqKe.jpg

Update:

Found in a plastic Walmart shopping bag after being abandoned just an hour after her birth, the little girl named Chloe by the staff at Texas Children’s Hospital was deemed healthy enough on Monday discharged, and even smiled for pictures.

6OusJCe.jpg

So adorable :)

Link.

A Houston woman was walking her dogs when she stumbled upon a ghastly sight: A newborn baby, with 3 inches of her umbilical cord still attached, lay abandoned in a plastic Walmart bag.

The unidentified lady's dog sniffed out the unclothed but clean infant between a tree and a bush at the Stonegate Villas Apartments around 7 p.m. Tuesday, reported The Houston Chronicle.

"If it had not of been for the resident that came out to walk her dogs, that child may have laid there all night, possibly would've died," said Sgt. Gordon Trott of the Harris County Sheriff's Office.

The baby was rushed to the Texas Children's Hospital, where she is currently in "good condition."

Jenn Jacome, a spokesperson for the hospital, told the Daily News that the baby's vital signs - such as pulse, temperature and blood pressure - are stable and within regular limits, she is conscious and comfortable and her chance of recovery is between good and excellent.

"The child could not have been out there very long," said Trott. "The child had a normal body temperature."

Child Protective Services took custody of the 4-pound, 12-ounce baby, who will be placed in a foster home after recovery, according to Gwen Carter, a CPS spokesperson.

Carter added that authorities have launched an investigation into the incident. But they will not have the help of surveillance footage.

"As far as we know, there are not any security cameras back there to capture anything on video," said Trott.

Police were confused as to why anyone would abandon a baby, because anyone can drop off a newborn at a fire station or hospital without answering any questions or facing legal charges under Texas law, reported ABC affiliate KSAT.

So sad. It is one thing not to want the baby, but to leave it there is a different story. I hope they find the mother/people behind it.

Rookje

Police were confused as to why anyone would abandon a baby, because anyone can drop off a newborn at a fire station or hospital without answering any questions or facing legal charges under Texas law, reported ABC affiliate KSAT.
Doubt anyone really knows that. I didn't.

Good news is that baby will find a home ASAP. The queue to get a newborn baby is huge.

I didn't know about the fire station/hospital thing. I think it's pretty deplorable to straight up abandon a child like that, but I don't know the parent(s) circumstances. I can only imagine what must go through someone's head when they do something like that.

"Police were confused as to why anyone would abandon a baby, because anyone can drop off a newborn at a fire station or hospital without answering any questions or facing legal charges under Texas law, reported ABC affiliate KSAT."

I didn't know this, it was obviously someone that didn't know it

"Police were confused as to why anyone would abandon a baby, because anyone can drop off a newborn at a fire station or hospital without answering any questions or facing legal charges under Texas law, reported ABC affiliate KSAT."

I didn't know this, it was obviously someone that didn't know it

Yup. Sad situation all around, I cant imagine someone being so horrible that they would do that on purpose. I have to assume that they had no family to trust or turn to,

hym

Banned
I assume the US doesn't have these baby hatches? That's one way of anonymously putting your baby up for adoption in some countries. You open the door, put your baby in it, close the door, it locks, an alarm goes off for medics to retrieve the baby. Mothers that change their mind have a limited period to request custody with a DNA test.

I have mixed feelings about it because I suspect those that consider the option are more likely to attempt giving birth by themselves without any support and that seems like a risk nobody should take with 2 lives at stake. But I doubt there is a perfect solution for messed up situations leading to this.

JnUcY55.jpg

PfooeFe.jpg

I assume the US doesn't have these baby hatches? That's one way of anonymously putting your baby up for adoption in some countries. You open the door, put your baby in it, close the door, it locks, an alarm goes off for medics to retrieve the baby. Mothers that change their mind have a limited period to request custody with a DNA test.

I have mixed feelings about it because I suspect those that consider the option are more likely to attempt giving birth by themselves without any support and that seems like a risk nobody should take with 2 lives at stake. But I doubt there is a perfect solution for messed up situations leading to this.

JnUcY55.jpg

PfooeFe.jpg

What the hell?

shira

JnUcY55.jpg

PfooeFe.jpg

That wouldn't work in America. People would hide in the hatch.

BigDug13

JnUcY55.jpg

PfooeFe.jpg

What country is this?

Yeah, that is fucked up. There are places that will accept babies no questions asked. I threaten to drop my daughter off at one when she misbehaves.
No I don't do that.

seriously, why can't these fuck tards just take the baby to a orphanage....or just have the baby and give it up for adoption immediately at the hospital.

Seriously, I wish they could find these fuck tards, both the dad and mom, and sterilize the bitches so they could never again have kids.

shira

seriously, why can't these fuck tards just take the baby to a orphanage....or just have the baby and give it up for adoption immediately at the hospital.

Seriously, I wish they could find these fuck tards, both the dad and mom, and sterilize the bitches so they could never again have kids.

Don't give bitches a bad name.

Dead Man

JnUcY55.jpg

PfooeFe.jpg

Won't work in the US, people will think it is like putting a baby in the bin, even though it is an elegant solution.

shira

Won't work in the US, people will think it is like putting a baby in the bin, even though it is an elegant solution.

No, I think people would just dump their garbage or shit it in it.

I can already envision a scam scenario where the baby gets injured/dies while putting it inside and the mom sues the hospital. People sue hospitals for everything these days.

Dead Man

No, I think people would just dump their garbage or shit it in it.

I can already envision a scam scenario where the baby gets injured/dies while putting it inside and the mom sues the hospital. People sue hospitals for everything these days.

LOL, that too.

Many U.S. states have safe haven or safe surrender laws. It's usually a fire station and you can drop off your baby no questions asked. However they will ask if you want to answer a medical questionnaire relating to the babies health.

shira

Many U.S. states have safe haven or safe surrender laws. It's usually a fire station and you can drop off your baby no questions asked. However they will ask if you want to answer a medical questionnaire relating to the babies health.
Yeah I think you can do it at any major church/mosque/temple too.

But in a smaller town where everyone knows everyone - how the hell are you supposed to do that anonymously.

What the hell?

It looks weird, but it only gets used a couple of times a year, at least here in Belgium. Someone's always on the other side of the hatch to take care of the baby immediately, and every effort is taken to find the mother and see if she won't take the child back after all. If she can't be found, or if she doesn't want her child, it'll go to foster parents. It's a better solution than having people dump babies in plastic bags.

hym

Banned

But in a smaller town where everyone knows everyone - how the hell are you supposed to do that anonymously.

It's not simply about anonymity either, some mothers can't handle the thought of having to face a person regarding what they are about to do, it's probably some toxic combination of preexisting psychological issues and postnatal depression. There have been cases of mothers killing and burying their newborns, leaving them in a trash can or in some public place for random people to find, who may not have good intentions or where medical attention is required and arrives too late.

Many of those Baby Hatches never even been used, but when it does happen it might be a life saved.

Dr Prob

Banned
It looks weird, but it only gets used a couple of times a year, at least here in Belgium. Someone's always on the other side of the hatch to take care of the baby immediately, and every effort is taken to find the mother and see if she won't take the child back after all. If she can't be found, or if she doesn't want her child, it'll go to foster parents. It's a better solution than having people dump babies in plastic bags.

Feeling like I'm pro-Baby Hatch. Touching up the 3 step instructional panel couldn't hurt though.

JnUcY55.jpg

PfooeFe.jpg

This is incredible. I bet it works quite well, but it's still hard to imagine this being apart of the world.

You can only hope that people who work in these institutions would understand the important roles that they play in society and follow the rules.

The US doesn't have fancy hatches, but all 50 states have safe haven laws with the same concept. So it is an option for people.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Found in a plastic Walmart shopping bag after being abandoned just an hour after her birth, the little girl named Chloe by the staff at Texas Children’s Hospital was deemed healthy enough on Monday discharged, and even smiled for pictures.

6OusJCe.jpg

So adorable :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom