• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Goldeneye Wii Discussion

DeathbyVolcano said:
shit like this should be fucking bannable.

thebouncer_2.jpg

timesplitters_b3_screen009.jpg

summoner_orenian_790screen001.jpg

uh-huh
You clearly disproved his argument by posting examples of the upper echelon of early PS2 graphics. Good show!

Banned
Blader5489 said:
Jesus, alright. So the graphics *are* better. I just couldn't tell at first.
So it's okay to troll the wii according to Ami.

You know what, I'm not even going to say it.

jrricky said:
But its not so you have to deal with it, Amirox says so :lol :lol .
Eurocom i think

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Oh I love situations like this.

If they had simply knocked up the resolution and cleaned up the textures, kept the gameplay in tact, and then released it on XBLA, people would spooge all over it. They'd go nuts. Just like what happened with Perfect Dark. In fact, the very suggestion of this had the rumor mill spinning so fast people were getting dizzy.

Instead, they've added geometry, improved models, improved the gameplay, put it on the system with the best FPS controls, improved the game in nearly every conceivable way, and you have some people take a big ole' dump on it.

Ah... nostalgia. You have a way with the illogical.

Medalion said:
Nostalgia shades... more powerful than you can possibli imagine...

I couldn't agree more. However, it's the people who are insulting the game that are being blinded by nostalgia. It's one thing to cry about the graphics, but anyone who is honestly implying that it looks like an N64 game obviously doesn't remember what N64 games really looked like. I know that fanboys are naturally in "attack mode" because of E3, but some of the responses in this thread are just embarrassing.

If this game is half as fun as the original GoldenEye, it'll still be twice as much fun as any other FPS from this generation.

nincompoop said:
You clearly disproved his argument by posting examples of the upper echelon of early PS2 graphics. Good show!

I have no idea what you're talking about. Those games look like shit. Goldeneye Wii looks loads, LOADS better than that.

G-Fex

Tssh watching the trailer again. Wow, my gameboy does the FPS better, and my saturn could render people better than it did here. They should've just resold the damn N64 cart.

GOSH THESE DEVELOPERS CANT DO ANYTHING RIGHT

G-Fex said:
Tssh watching the trailer again. Wow, my gameboy does the FPS better, and my saturn could render people better than it did here. They should've just resold the damn N64 cart.

GOSH THESE DEVELOPERS CANT DO ANYTHING RIGHT

Nor can you post anything correctly...

GDGF

Soothsayer
So it's okay to troll the wii according to Ami.

You know what, I'm not even going to say it.

Eurocom i think

That shit works both ways I'm sure. E3 is a trollfest. MS got it earlier (for good reason) and I'm sure there will be some creative things said about the Move tomorrow :lol

ZealousD

Coolio McAwesome said:
I couldn't agree more. However, it's the people who are insulting the game that are being blinded by nostalgia.

If this game is half as fun as the original GoldenEye, it'll still be twice as much fun as any other FPS from this generation.

Weren't you just saying something about other people being blinded by nostalgia?

You must look inward, sir.

Goldeneye is a very dated game. Very, very dated. Terrible AI. Poor aiming. If Goldeneye was released in today's market, people would make fun of it and call it a C- project by some student at Digipen.

It's notable as a milestone to bringing shooters to consoles. A very important game for its time, of course. But some games age better than others, and Goldeneye is certainly not one of the better ones.

Sir Ilpalazzo said:
We don't know that for sure yet.

We know that the framerate for multiplayer has been improved drastically, we know the enivronments are a lot more interactive, we know that the tank can now plow through buildings, and we know that Oddjob can throw his hat. What else do you want?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I like the fuzzy textures. Honestly, there is something about super crisp textures in today's games that can work against immersion. Its as if near-photo realism that makes the mind say "no this is not real, you can't trick me" instead of defaulting to 'make believe mode'.

---

I am concerned the feel of the original N64 style controls won't be there at all. I loved using the c buttons to straff and look up/down.

Coolio McAwesome said:
We know that the framerate for multiplayer has been improved drastically, we know the enivronments are a lot more interactive, we know that the tank can now plow through buildings, and we know that Oddjob can throw his hat. What else do you want?

MORE VIDDY GOODNESS DAMNIT!

GDGF

Soothsayer
Gahiggidy said:
I like the fuzzy textures. Honestly, there is something about super crisp textures in today's games that can work against immersion. Its as if near-photo realism that makes the mind say "no this is not real, you can't trick me" instead of defaulting to 'make believe mode'.

Oh shit it's Gahiggidy!

Gahiggidy said:
it's funny because gahiggidy's joke post is unironically what some people use to defend sub-HD resolutions and lower framerates

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Gahiggidy said:

Gahiggidy sighting! :lol

ZealousD

Coolio McAwesome said:

There's a couple snippets of aiming and movement as well. Certainly enough to see that they've improved in these areas.

Olivier

ZealousD said:
Instead, they've added geometry, improved models, improved the gameplay, put it on the system with the best FPS controls, improved the game in nearly every conceivable way, and you have some people take a big ole' dump on it.

They didn't add or improve anything from the original. They took an existing Wii engine and tried to recreate the original. This is completely different.

I don't see why they would succeed where other projects (namely GoldenEye Source) failed.

ZealousD

Olivier said:
They didn't add or improve anything from the original. They took an existing Wii engine and tried to recreate the original. This is completely different.

Are you really trying to argue semantics with me? Whatever. Replace the word "improved" with "better" if it makes you feel better.

Xeke

Banned
It'll sell more than either Killzone game.

It looks awesome. The older I get the less I care about graphics. I hope it has all the multiplayer levels. I love me some Complex.

Banned
ZealousD said:
Weren't you just saying something about other people being blinded by nostalgia?

Goldeneye is a very dated game. Very, very dated. Terrible AI. Poor aiming. If Goldeneye was released in today's market, people would make fun of it and call it a C- project by some student at Digipen.

It's notable as a milestone to bringing shooters to consoles. A very important game for its time, of course. But some games age better than others, and Goldeneye is certainly not one of the better ones.
when was the last time you played Goldeneye? It's still fun, not the greatest multi out there but still very fun

Xeke

Banned
when was the last time you played Goldeneye? It's still fun, not the greatest multi out there but still very fun

It's still awesome. I think it's mostly because of the levels. FPS games these days just have big open levels, no tight corridors or indoor levels. I loved SWAT 4 because it had shooting through doors, fighting in staircases and long hallways, not huge futuristic outdoor levels with no doors to open or block.

FoneBone

So does this use the N64 level designs? My memory of the original game is too lousy for me to be able to tell. :lol

(And if it does, how can Rare not get some kind of credit in the copyrights...)

Poyunch

FoneBone said:
So does this use the N64 level designs? My memory of the original game is too lousy for me to be able to tell. :lol

The same way Clover didn't get credit for the Wiimake for Okami?

Xeke

Banned
FoneBone said:

Because Rare was part of Nintendo and Nintendo published the game, for all intents and purposes it's just a Nintendo game.

ZealousD said:

Alright, I looked inward. GoldenEye's still more fun than any FPS from this generation.

The problem I have with your argument is that the supposed "terrible AI" didn't adversely affect the game in any way, shape, or form. Complaining about the AI in GoldenEye makes about as much sense as complaining about how the Goombas behave in Super Mario Bros. The fact that the AI behaves in a predictable manner doesn't necessarily mean that it's bad. Even with the "terrible AI" GoldenEye was a very challenging game with a perfectly-balanced learning curve. I don't care if the AI doesn't behave in a realistic fashion. I'm not bothered by Koopas walking off cliffs in Mario games, so I see no reason why I should be bothered by enemy guards that can easily be lured around corners. Again, I don't think anyone would classify GoldenEye an easy game. Is it dated? Absolutely. On a similar note, Final Fantasy VI is also "dated" compared to modern RPGs; but I'd take it over FFXIII any day.

Well, I've certainly seen much better on Wii. I don't know how I feel about some of the weather changes to the first stage. The original dam stage was daytime, which I thought was pretty cool. Now it's rainy, which is a bit too cliche for my tastes. If Nintendo releases the original on VC I'll have no reason to buy this new one.

hatchx

Banned
I think it's safe to say this classifies as a megaton.

The game looks great. Added online component? Check. Exclusive to a system desperate for exclusives? Check. This is what the wii needs.

I'm pumped.

FoneBone

Xeke said:
Because Rare was part of Nintendo and Nintendo published the game, for all intents and purposes it's just a Nintendo game.
I don't know the truth, but that is definitely not what was being fairly widely reported at the time the XBLA version got the axe.

The M.O.B

Honestly, I would rather have this than a "HD" ified version with high resolution textures.

oh and
analog sticks suck for fps's, and it sucked back then too, we just didnt know it

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Coolio McAwesome said:
Alright, I looked inward. GoldenEye's still more fun than any FPS from this generation.

The problem I have with your argument is that the supposed "terrible AI" didn't adversely affect the game in any way, shape, or form. Complaining about the AI in GoldenEye makes about as much sense as complaining about how the Goombas behave in Super Mario Bros. The fact that the AI behaves in a predictable manner doesn't necessarily mean that it's bad. Even with the "terrible AI" GoldenEye was a very challenging game with a perfectly-balanced learning curve.....
Very good point. Compare this to UbiSoft's demo fo the future combat Tom Clancy game. I foun dit odd that the AI soldiers could notice the "cloaked" players, even when they were walking in plain "earshot". I seem to remember that if you moved to quickly in GE, the AI would turn immediately around and fire off some shots in your direction.

Xeke

Banned
FoneBone said:
I don't know the truth, but that is definitely not what was being fairly widely reported at the time the XBLA version got the axe.

Rare/Microsoft didn't have the James Bond license to release that game, Activision does.

Having a playable framerate in multi and online multiplayer is worth the price of admission alone! They could use the original models and textures for all I care.

But they didn't and it's looking pretty good. Surprised they put Craig in there. That's kind of a George Lucas move.

Top Bottom