• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eiji Aonuma: “No one explicitly said that that was Link.”

ShinMaruku

I wonder what Aonuma is truly thinking right at this moment or how he would react if he was shown this thread.

He'd probably react like I am and would laugh and milk this. This has made a streetful SF4 session fun. I love these discussions. But I really don't think Nintendo is progressive enough to make a female Link as of yet. If they were they probably would have gone third party and have an expanded base by now. :)

Eusis

Just going by that image they'd actually seem to be kind in between maybe leaning female... similar to Link's eyes before in more anime-styled releases. Not as if there's any hard rules for how to design there.

I would suspect at a minimum that this could be a character related to Link, if they're not just going with character creation anyway. May depend on motion controls, but "fixing" the bow and arrow isn't as big of a deal for them as the sword.

EVIL

ib2BICFsKsJ2a1.gif

I'm leaning towards the female side of things myself, not that it matters too much. Man boobs generally don't react/bounce around that much when jumping (like you see there) or when on the move.
Are you kidding me? There are no moving breasts in that gif. You people are seeing things.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
We have an adult human male/female comparison picture in here as well, useful when measuring a cartoon anime video game character from Japan.

Right. I thought the whole discussion from the start was embarrassing. I think it's more interesting that Nintendo has a character that isn't so overtly genderized that there's some question of not WHAT the character is but WHO. I think that's pretty fucking cool.

But then we got this whole legion of, um, LLFs trying to decipher whether this character's hips are bigger than his/her shoulders. did-i-see-a-boob? dot gif

A new low. SMFH

Hakai

This is the whole temareal teamcg all over again isn't it?

I think it's male based on the hands, even if there is women out there, that have big masculine hands, it's a weird design choice for a character with so much feminine traits.

Also, I'm not against it being feminine, actually I think it would be a pretty nice change.

Either way, just want more info and videos of this game, but that will probably take a while.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
We have an adult human male/female comparison picture in here as well, useful when measuring a cartoon anime video game character from Japan.

Not sure which picture you're referring to, but on average, males and females have different proportions. And artists make use of those proportions to make their characters appear male or female.

Probably the point the poster was trying to make?

TnK

I am starting to think that you guys will read too much into it. View his comment as "no one said this was link, but at the same time, no one said it wasn't"

His comment literally means that this may or may not be link. This does not mean that the character is not link and you guys need to look into it to see if it is someone else.

He most likely is trolling (maybe)

My 2 cents.

Heroman

Banned
Gear? He has all his gear on Epona. And it's not like it's unheard of for Link to wear different clothes in different games.

1 That not the gear Im talking about. I mean master sword and Hylain shield.
2 That not epona
3 They have always shown link in his iconic tunic in a reveal.

jackal27

Banned
I honestly think it could be Zelda. She also traditionally wields a bow in Zelda games so that's my 2 cents. That was my guess from the moment I saw the footage.

Either way, looks awesome.

I'm just gonna put in my two cents and say that's Link's brother/sister in the trailer. Honestly, it sets up the story a bit. Sibling is kidnapped (once again), you go rescue him/her. Sister was kidnapped in Wind Waker, Zelda was kidnapped in Skyward Sword. Children were kidnapped in Twilight Princess, you get the idea.

Anyway, pretty sure that Link is gonna go rescue the person in the trailer.

Nah, I think there's way too much trolling in that if so.

Also, could totally see a lot of people calling pure bullshit on Aonuma's part if a girl they're showing off with these skills and trolling might be playable by having them as the reveal character dressed kind of like Link doing totally Link-like gameplay things needs to totally be saved by regular male Link.

With that Aonuma troll, and all the non-Link/non-Epona things if it's not Zelda I'm leaning towards the Link and Zelda's daughter choice, they still get their Link and even can have him (and her) train her, explain another character having the same clothes, and it explains the light arrows too.

I wonder what Aonuma is truly thinking right at this moment or how he would react if he was shown this thread.

Good question. Normally I'd say laughing whether he's trolling it's Link or trolling when it actually is going to be Zelda/female Link or customizable since he gets to drag it out and tons of speculation/attention flies LOL, though if it was unintentional I think now he might be at least a bit worried about how they reveal if it's not a girl and the flying theories have made it outside the hardcore and into the causal Nintendo gamers and they don't diffuse it right, otherwise he and Nintendo might be facing one of those S-E level blowups right off the back of that Tomodachi Life thing that they had to publicly address and that made it to major news.

It doesn't matter if its Link at this point. It doesn't matter if it's a he or a she. And that's why I think it would be awesome if Nintendo made this an option or a hard change.

Remember when Shadow of the Colossus was first shown and people thought Wander was female? That could have been great, too.

It doesn't matter if its Link at this point. It doesn't matter if it's a he or a she. And that's why I think it would be awesome if Nintendo made this an option or a hard change.

Remember when Shadow of the Colossus was first shown and people thought Wander was female? That could have been great, too.

Well, they called him Wanda at first too.

But I agree with you :)

mrkgoo

Not in reveal trailers.

Where is this rule again?

It's Nintendo and their character, they can do whatever they want. Maybe they are making a statement how this is not the Same Zelda you've always played, or maybe it's nothing.

Every trailer can have something that can be said that they've "never done" before.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
Definitely not link. We all know Link has green clothes.

What's that? People can change their clothes? Wut wut wuuuuuut???!!

Megaton! Might be link after all. One hint that this might be the case is the fact that he looks exactly like Link and this is a zelda game and he has a horse and is the protagonist.

srsly guys? srsly? ayayay

co1onel

I'd love it if this game comes out and neither the gender nor the name of this character is ever explicitly stated and it's up to everyone else to decide if it's the same "Link" when you go to name him/her.

Heroman

Banned
Where is this rule again?

It's Nintendo and their character, they can do whatever they want. Maybe they are making a statement how this is not the Same Zelda you've always played, or maybe it's nothing.

Every trailer can have something that can be said that they've "never done" before.

It is a brand thing, and is something you don't change with a 20 year plus series.

mantidor

I think this will be nothing.

It's like that teaser from Skyward Sword that showed Link without a sword and Miyamoto put emphasis on that but it didn't really mean anything, Fi was not "the sword" in the game.

-Kees-

The handedness thing is what gets me. Even in SS where they flipped it for the motion controls Link uses the bow lefthanded. It's been this little detail for the entire series that he's lefthanded. It's clearly not an oversite for the trailer. So either they just didn't care this time and said whatever which I think is really unlikely or it is a different character. I just don't want to spend who knows how long endlessly speculating and thinking it's something different and have it turn out not to be.

So far I think I'm on Team Female but at the same time if they would make a change like that it's strange they wouldn't be more obvious about it. Then again it really looks like a girl to me.

In summary: TELL US SOONER so I don't get my hopes up.

DrunkDan

Not in reveal trailers.

True, but people think the series can possibly be shaken up by including a female Link but can't be changed by revealing him in different clothes?

I agree that it could be a female but equally it could be male Link before he earns the tunic.

Top Bottom