• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal Knights |OT| Action RPG in Minecrafts Clothing

Ashtar

First OT take it easy on me, hopefully gonna get into this with my wife

Portal-Knights-752x430-2.jpg

Launch Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccloZ7l266M
What is Portal Knight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5u2hShXLQY

Features

Travel between randomly generated 3D sandbox worlds – Traverse unique environments, meet unique NPC characters, discover creatures and resources for crafting. Explore caves, lakes and dungeons filled with surprises.

Tactical action combat – Strike your foes and dodge their attacks in fast-paced 3rd-person battles. Outwit each enemy’s unique AI and choose from an assortment of weapons and spells to defeat them!

RPG character classes to choose from and master – Play as a Warrior, Mage or Ranger and customize your appearance, abilities, and gear. Unlock powerful talents as you level up!

Epic boss battles – Face off against the Portal Guardians, the most formidable beasts in the realm, in their twisted arenas.

Random Events – Adventure in ever changing landscapes. Complete new quests and earn exclusive items in random events across the worlds.

Mine and gather resources from across the lands to craft your arsenal and supplies – Upgrade your crafting stations and expand your recipe list to 100+ items, including crafting trees for each class.

Build your home with dozens of materials and furnishings – Show off the hard-earned treasure from your journeys. Harvest resources and build grand structures, craft unique furniture, adopt a pet companion and more!

Join your friends in 4-person cooperative multiplayer. Work together on the same island to build structures, explore dungeons, and overcome the toughest perils or play separately on different islands.

Also has 2 player split screen which I'm hoping to play with my wife

Reviews
Meta Critic 73

Open Critic 72

Demo on PSN
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...demo/cid=UP4040-CUSA06266_00-DEMO000000000000
I played the demo, dodge is pretty cool, some weird spectre knights come out at night, they're pretty tough

FYI:
Best buy has a 10 dollar GC with purchase and there's no PSN preload

Print_Dog

Was just looking at the trailer for this. My son Is a Minecraft-head so I'll try to transition him to deeper RPG systems with this game. Co-op should be fun

Should be getting delivered today! Ordered this and Logan on 4k UHD Logan got here Friday! This is getting here today hoping the wife and I will have fun with it!

I just purchased the Sapphire Throne Edition on psn. However it didn't give me the game. Also, it gave me a theme that is locked.

edit: restore license fixed the issue.

Ashtar

Was this only for pre-orders?
I dunno but I realized it's a waste , game is only 20 dollars on pan but 30 for retail?
I bought on psn
Played with the wife yesterday had some fun and got to the third world, I do wish you could make the split screen vertical instead of horizontal
Is there anyway to protect yourself against the night dwellers ? Like a house in mine craft? These dudes ran up in my house but it had no door

Ryhian

Picked this up on PS4. It does look beautiful on the pro. It's scratching a big itch for me in this genre. Love the action and quests. I'm still early on in the game but I'm hooked!

Ashtar

Spending some more time with this enjoying playing with my wife
She started a new game and I joined later so I got to be a warrior instead of a ranger which is pretty fun
After we got stuck on one world we realized that some worlds have multiple portals
I got my beast master and then viking outfits and I'm level 11 now so I specced for regeneration and 10% health on kills which is pretty dope
Combat is overall fun and pretty responsive for this kind of game

Some issues though
- Wife says menu bar is too small in split screen (40 inch tv) so she has to sit real close
- I noticed some slow down when we were playing at first but they seem to have vanished
- I wish their were some different combos to use on enemies, the only real way to change things up with the warrior is to switch weapons
-I can't believe beds are only cosmetic and there's no way to hasten the daylight, seems crazy
-Story is pretty much non existent except fetch quest so far
- Building is kind of a hassle imo, also there's gotta be a way to increase inventory or something

Ashtar

Beat the second boss, still enjoying my time with the wife
Game had a repeated crash though that was annoying
We finally got some gold so we re trying to make gold weapon sets
Game has issues with inventory management especially mid to presumably late game
They also need to refine building controls, why can't I build down?
Also some semblance of a story would be nice
I see why the game averages 7s but as Huber said I'm swimming in sevens baby

Akai__

After completeing the Tutorial, what are you supposed to do? Is there no main quest that you can follow? Because I don't have any quests and you don't really have a map of the Island that you are on. I'm pretty much just wandering arround, killing some enemies, mining some blocks and looking at things that I can craft.

If somebody could give me a hint at what I'm supposed to do or what the greater goal is, that would be nice. :p

Ashtar

After completeing the Tutorial, what are you supposed to do? Is there no main quest that you can follow? Because I don't have any quests and you don't really have a map of the Island that you are on. I'm pretty much just wandering arround, killing some enemies, mining some blocks and looking at things that I can craft.

If somebody could give me a hint at what I'm supposed to do or what the greater goal is, that would be nice. :p
build a portal go to the next world, rinse wash repeat

I finished this game with the wife last week
we enjoyed our time with it but its got some issues
building anything like a house is too difficult
a lot of items don't have a good use
there's no use for beds etc
the game is super buggy at least on PS4, textures dont load in, a lot of crashing, sometimes both players will only see player 2s screen unless you restart
but yet through fun combat and the appeal of being a slider they pulled a fun game off
id rate it 7/10

Akai__

build a portal go to the next world, rinse wash repeat

I finished this game with the wife last week
we enjoyed our time with it but its got some issues
building anything like a house is too difficult
a lot of items don't have a good use
there's no use for beds etc
the game is super buggy at least on PS4, textures dont load in, a lot of crashing, sometimes both players will only see player 2s screen unless you restart
but yet through fun combat and the appeal of being a slider they pulled a fun game off
id rate it 7/10

I watched a stream and it looked a lot like Dragon Quest Builders, which I really really wanted to play but couldn't get since it it's only on PS4. From what I've played so far, I'm enjoying it, but I thought there would be a little more depth into this with a little story and a fixed path.

The OP also describes meeting NPC characters, random Events and completing quests. How far away am I from that, if I just went through the 1st Portal?

Also, sad about the issues. Luckily, I haven't encountered them yet.

Ashtar

I watched a stream and it looked a lot like Dragon Quest Builders, which I really really wanted to play but couldn't get since it it's only on PS4. From what I've played so far, I'm enjoying it, but I thought there would be a little more depth into this with a little story and a fixed path.

The OP also describes meeting NPC characters, random Events and completing quests. How far away am I from that, if I just went through the 1st Portal?

Also, sad about the issues. Luckily, I haven't encountered them yet.

So since all the world are randomized I can't tell you when you'll find an npc but they are out there.
Some are merchents and sell you stuff (mostly useless)
Some give you little quests (get a certain resource kill a specific enemy type 5 times etc) and you get a reward
Events are a bit different they're limited time but will usually ask you to kill something, I don't think you actually get a reward for these though, my wife claims you get some rare materials but i never corraborated that. I did one event that lead me to a new world which was cool.

Akai__

So since all the world are randomized I can't tell you when you'll find an npc but they are out there.
Some are merchents and sell you stuff (mostly useless)
Some give you little quests (get a certain resource kill a specific enemy type 5 times etc) and you get a reward
Events are a bit different they're limited time but will usually ask you to kill something, I don't think you actually get a reward for these though, my wife claims you get some rare materials but i never corraborated that. I did one event that lead me to a new world which was cool.

Gotcha, that's all I needed to hear. :D

I was just really lost, but now that you clarified it for me, I understand.

Thanks.

Akai__

Patch v1.1 is out on consoles, but it introduces huge framerate issues on Xbox One when looking arround. Camera sensitivity is also slow for some reason, despite having it on max. Sad to see that they didn't notice this, when they submitted it for approval.

Top Bottom