• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has Samsung out-apple Apple?

DieH@rd

Banned
I just want a worthy successor of 1+1.

Similar design choices [including sandstone back!] with bezeless screen in front for sub 400€.

Stories trending in mainstream media (and some tech sites):

"What is OLED?"

"Why do I need wireless charging?"

Sigh.

I'm used to this from the days of Window Phone and the Lumias. Those things would get great features first regularly, that then Android and Apple would be touting as genius innovations six months later.

Not that I don't love my S8 though. The S6 and S7 were good phones, but both felt a little too hampered one way or another. The S8 is just everything I want from a phone right now. It looks gorgeous to boot. Waterproof, dustproof, good battery life, smaller than the S7 edge, great always on screen, fast charging, USB-C, wireless charging, great camera, Samsung pay...

Yeah, I think I'm good for now. Probably won't go for the S9 either, unless this gets damaged somehow.

Slayven

Oh! And one thing that drives me nuts about Carplay, is Siri won't do ANY intenet stuff. I can post rage tweets from the Car's system, but not Carplay. My idea of a Diary of a Road rage Connoisseur is ruined. But she won't even do normal, useful, safe stuff like Flight status or appointments.

Ontheroadwithstinkles.tumblr.com

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
The pebble and Galaxy watch series are the only decent wearables IMO. Apple watch is awful.

functionally? not even close. for notifications the watch does 100% of what it needs to. For fitness, pebble, galaxy and fitbit aren't even close. Garmin is actually on par for fitness, but lacks the strong device integration.

kmfdmpig

Oh! And one thing that drives me nuts about Carplay, is Siri won't do ANY intenet stuff. I can post rage tweets from the Car's system, but not Carplay. My idea of a Diary of a Road rage Connoisseur is ruined. But she won't even do normal, useful, safe stuff like Flight status or appointments.

Android Auto has some of those same annoyances in terms of limiting what can be done.

I can't tell if Android Auto has improved in the 3 months that I've used it or I have just had much better luck with a better cable, but my first impressions of it were fairly negative, but I've liked it more and more the more I've used it.
It seems like most recent reviews find them fairly comparable:
https://thenextweb.com/artificial-i...droid-auto-apple-car-play-test/#.tnw_KlRisMg9
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/android-auto-vs-apple-carplay/
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/android-auto-and-apple-carplay-are-about-to-get-really-real/

The pebble and Galaxy watch series are the only decent wearables IMO. Apple watch is awful.

That too; I would never have used a smartwatch, but I got the Gear S2 free with the S7, and I don't think I'd use anything else; every time I've played with the Apple Watch I've hated it.

Also, got to play with Android Auto recently, and it's pretty great.

I think my brain is just totally incompatible with the way Apple designs software, I can't use any of it.

borghe

That too; I would never have used a smartwatch, but I got the Gear S2 free with the S7, and I don't think I'd use anything else; every time I've played with the Apple Watch I've hated it.
and what exactly do you hate about it?

edit - and I said above that the garmin is on par with the Watch... but that just became untrue as of yesterday. Now that the watch is untethered from the phone for most functions, the Watch matches 100% functionality of the garmins without the need to take your phone with you. including nice to haves like music streaming, phone/message connectivity, etc.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I feel the exact opposite to be blunt. Apple has made some howlers with iOS, and acquired an awful lot of technical debt as they keep re-engineering the UI paradigms while fighting a losing battle on key concepts (iOS now has file browsing, but it feels bolted on because it is).

iOS has fallen behind on a lot of UI paradigms too. Selecting WiFi networks is torturous. Purchasing from major providers is a pain in the ass due to Apple's restriction to its own in app purchasing system. Not being able to set defaults harms the entire ecosystem by propping up terrible default applications that the market would otherwise have cast aside. Notification management on iOS is a shambles.

I agree with this 100%. Every time I try to go back to iOS, I end up running screaming in the other direction for the reasons you listed and more. I will never understand why Apple gets so much praise for their software, because I think everything they make outside of macOS itself is pretty terrible. I've been using OS X/macOS as my daily driver computer for almost ten years, but I never use any of Apple's software on my MacBooks because I hate it across the board.

I'd rather the cutout areas be permanently black so I can treat it like bezel on the X, but it seems like from mkbhd's video, it'll match the background. I think I'm going to get the S8, my first andoid phone. The curved edges look sexy.

kmfdmpig

Predictable answer, now go back year by year and see if the Note Edge was worse than the iPhone which was the point you were trying to make with your initial post.

I honestly don't know what your point is meant to be:
Yes, the Note Edge, which was an offshoot of the Note 4 performed quite well the year it came out. See below.
http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_Note4_ShootOut_1.htm#Table

OLED Display Evolution
What is particularly significant and impressive is that Samsung has been systematically improving OLED display performance with every Galaxy generation since 2010, when we started tracking OLED displays. The first notable OLED Smartphone, the Google Nexus One, came in decidedly last place in our 2010 Smartphone Display Shoot-Out. In a span of just four years OLED display technology is now challenging and even exceeding the performance of the best LCDs. The Galaxy Note 4 continues this impressive systematic improvement in OLED displays and technology.

Best Smartphone Display
With the Galaxy Note 4 there are many significant improvements over the Galaxy Note 3 that we tested a year ago, but also with the Galaxy S5 that we tested in March, and the Galaxy Tab S that we tested in June. The most impressive improvements are in the pixels per inch and resolution, the Absolute Color Accuracy, Peak Brightness and screen readability in High Ambient Light, and display Power Efficiency. See the main Display Shoot-Out Comparison Table for all of the measurements and details.

Based on our extensive Lab tests and measurements, the Galaxy Note 4 is the Best performing Smartphone display that we have ever tested. It matches or breaks new records in Smartphone display performance for: Highest Absolute Color Accuracy, Highest Screen Resolution, Infinite Contrast Ratio, Highest Peak Brightness, Highest Contrast Rating in Ambient Light, and the smallest Brightness Variation with Viewing Angle. Its Color Management capability provides multiple Color Gamuts – a major advantage that is not currently provided by any of the other leading Smartphones. The Galaxy Note 4 delivers uniformly consistent all around Top Tier display performance: it is the first Smartphone display to ever get all Green (Very Good to Excellent) Ratings in all test and measurement categories (except one Yellow for a Brightness Variation with Average Picture Level) since we started the Display Technology Shoot-Out article Series in 2006, an impressive achievement for a display. The Galaxy Note 4 has again raised the bar for top display performance up by another notch.

They also liked the iPhone 6 display, but not as much:
http://www.displaymate.com/iPhone6_ShootOut.htm

The Best Smartphone Display
The iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus are the current Best Mobile LCD Displays and the Galaxy S5 and Galaxy Note 4 are the current Best Mobile OLEDs Displays. Both are impressive and excellent displays with great state-of-the-art display technology. We recently gave the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 our overall Best Smartphone Display award, and for the time being that continues for all of the reasons originally mentioned there. In particular, for implementing Color Management to provide multiple Color Gamuts, and then using the Color Management to provide the Highest Absolute Color Accuracy for Standard (sRGB/Rec.709) consumer content of any Smartphone or Tablet display that we have ever measured (in one of its four available screen modes, which many reviewers seem to overlook). As we discuss next, dynamic Color Management is something that every display will need to provide in the future.

With display technology advancing rapidly on many different fronts, things can change again in the next generation of displays – so best wishes to all of the manufacturers and technologies in innovating and developing the next generation of even higher-performance displays!

jstripes

Banned
I guess it's meant to be the iPad Pro of iPhones, but it looks more like some kind of experimental model that they weren't sure about going all-in on. So they made the 8s just as a backup plan for those who weren't "brave" enough.

Welcome to the world of "first gen" Apple products. They usually take two or three iterations to fully realize.

Look at the first iPhone. It was incredible, but it wasn't until the 3GS that all the holes started to fill in.

Future

8pmSKlU.jpg

The bottom image makes me feel uneasy...

Legit shocked that Apple is embracing viewing video with that little cut out. Wtf why is that ok

I feel the exact opposite to be blunt. Apple has made some howlers with iOS, and acquired an awful lot of technical debt as they keep re-engineering the UI paradigms while fighting a losing battle on key concepts (iOS now has file browsing, but it feels bolted on because it is).

iOS has fallen behind on a lot of UI paradigms too. Selecting WiFi networks is torturous. Purchasing from major providers is a pain in the ass due to Apple's restriction to its own in app purchasing system. Not being able to set defaults harms the entire ecosystem by propping up terrible default applications that the market would otherwise have cast aside. Notification management on iOS is a shambles.

I valued UI fluidity and overall smoothness which is why I switched to iOS in the first place.

The phones succeed in the fundamentals (screen, camera, battery, performance), have the best customer service, resale value and have the best app ecosystem to this day.

The performance issues on many android phones (the mega selling galaxy line) slow updates (again on everything non pixel/nexus) worse apps will keep me away from Android for a long time. And I say that as a fan of both.

wachie

YO GUYS

Leaving aside the good things, X is outXing Y!

S8 has the OLED screen but the calibration and panel quality used by Apple is top notch. I wouldnt be surprised if the display in the X is much better than S8 even though its manufactured by Samsung. We dont know the gap in camera quality, the processor is leagues ahead, FaceID has no match ..

NeOak

YO GUYS

Leaving aside the good things, X is outXing Y!

S8 has the OLED screen but the calibration and panel quality used by Apple is top notch. I wouldnt be surprised if the display in the X is much better than S8 even though its manufactured by Samsung. We dont know the gap in camera quality, the processor is leagues ahead, FaceID has no match ..
LOL

That Kool Aid...

Fliesen

Legit shocked that Apple is embracing viewing video with that little cut out. Wtf why is that ok

again, they're not "embracing" it. - just like they didn't embrace watching content in cinematic 2.35:1 aspect ratio zoomed in and cropped on the sides. Sure, it's an option, in case you have a 4:3 video file encoded as a 16:9 file with a 'burnt in' black pillarbox. But that's about the only time you'd use that button in the video player.

The default is the upper picture. Just like on any 16:9 screen iPhone the default is a letterboxed picture, with smaller black bars on the iPhone X than on the iPhone 6 / 7.

And if you decide to 'zoom in' - which, realistically noone should or would do - while you do have the weird notch cut out, you're still actually losing way less of the full picture.

as detailed in the other thread.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=248832989&postcount=1538

edit - and I said above that the garmin is on par with the Watch... but that just became untrue as of yesterday. Now that the watch is untethered from the phone for most functions, the Watch matches 100% functionality of the garmins without the need to take your phone with you. including nice to haves like music streaming, phone/message connectivity, etc.

Apple is ahead of Garmin with the actual tasks you can do from the watch, that's true. But saying that Garmin is "on par" with Apple from a fitness perspective is laughable. Garmin is so far beyond Apple in that regard that it isn't even a contest. The new watch doesn't come close to matching "100% the fuctionality of the garmins"

So you are going to make this a podcast right...

I find it strange that Apple a company that is known for design let the X out in the wild like that.

Mostly little things; I prefer the round design of the Gear S2, I can't stand the look of the Apple Watch. I also like the rotating bezel dial on the Gear S2. Most importantly though, when I pull up the app menu on the Gear S2, I get a neat layout of icons in a circle, unlike the clusterfuck of apps you get on the Apple Watch.

Until someone figures out how to put the camera and front-facing sensors UNDER the glass without impeding the display screen, we'll need bezels.

They couldn't figure out how to put a fingerprint scanner under the screen, so don't hold your breath for the camera to make it under there either.

I think bezels are here to stay folks.

The Galaxy S8 managed to get rid of bezels on the sides thanks to the edge curve, so that's a good trade-off if you truly hate bezels for some reason.

The notch is annoying, but you can letterbox it out, so not a huge deal IMO. The two corner spaces are pretty much dedicated to the status bar anyway, so it seems pointless count that as screen space. It's status bar space. If you want more screen space, just go buy a bigger phone.

I love that Apple during their show tried to give some "OLED has finally reached a quality that Apple deems worthy to be used in an iPhone". Meanwhile the OLED is manufactured by Samsung who has been using the oleds for years.

my "guess" is the future is AR.. just waiting for that "DAMN!!!" moment. And in that regard, Apple's SoC (compute, graphics, and sensors) are so far ahead of everyone else they are really well placed right now.
Agreed. Not sure if Tim Cook has the vision to make it count though.

This thread being as big as it is already is a pretty good example of misplaced investment in our technological corporate overlords when the replies would be mirrored perfectly in an alternate timeline where Samsung and apple's designs were switched.

TI82

Banned

Also, got to play with Android Auto recently, and it's pretty great.

I think my brain is just totally incompatible with the way Apple designs software, I can't use any of it.

Yep, the click wheel on the gear series is a great idea. Using a tiny touchscreen on the watches doesn't feel good it's really poor design imo.

I love that Apple during their show tried to give some "OLED has finally reached a quality that Apple deems worthy to be used in an iPhone". Meanwhile the OLED is manufactured by Samsung who has been using the oleds for years.
...and for years burn-in has been a problem. Perhaps Apple was waiting for that issue to be largely resolved, hence their "finally reached the quality" position. Just because it's been available for years doesn't mean it's been free of major issues for years. Which was the entire point in the statement.

...and for years burn-in has been a problem. Perhaps Apple was waiting for that issue to be largely resolved, hence their "finally reached the quality" position. Just because it's been available for years doesn't mean it's been free of major issues for years. Which was the entire point in the statement.

I've owned every Galaxy since the S5, and I've never seen burn in on any of them. This is just Apple's SOP of trying to make everything they do sound like a revolution.

My favorite part is how folks are referring it to the next generation of phones, when there are exactly zero features that aren't already in other smartphones in way or another. The only thing revolutionary about this is that finally Apple is willing to copy great features from others then come up with revolutionary ones of their own.

I mean how I know people love the brand and ecosystem but at least they can be willing to call out bs marketing pr when they see it.

I've owned every Galaxy since the S5, and I've never seen burn in on any of them. This is just Apple's SOP of trying to make everything they do sound like a revolution.
Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it hasn't been a thing, bruh. Burn in, grey performance issues, etc. if they haven't affected you, cool. They have been issues.

reKon

Banned
Samsung may have Apple beat in design from a attractiveness standpoint, but they sure have their work cut out for them in camera and performance. I'm almost positive with this OLED screen that GSMArena battery life test scores for the iPhone X are going to the best ever for the iPhone and near industry leading in (for flagship phones) in terms of battery life when the device is used for web browsing and watching video. The only thing I'm not sure about is idle time - that will depend on how much of a bigger battery they have included vs the iPhone 7+ series.

As for Samsung, as long they improve their software to perform more consistently (which they definitely have over the years), then things will get better. The area where Samsung is struggling is RAM management. My Sony Xperia Z3 Compact held more apps in storage than my S7 Edge does. Most of the time, this doesn't bother me, but sometimes it does get annoying. The Plus One 5 is probably a leader in the world of Android regarding this because of the highly optimized software and large amount of RAM. It also has very good battery life. If Samsung matched performance on the One Plus (in terms of RAM management) on top of good dual cameras, still having gorgeous hardware, and improving all aspects of their biometric security and design, I think it will be another strong phone for them.

jstripes

Banned

mokeyjoe

I’m an android guy but I prefer the look of the new X to the S8 for some reason. But I prefer the Essential phone to either.

As far as stutter goes, I think that’s an ios 11 beta issue, as I’ve noticed occasionally on my iPad Pro. Presumably this will be gone with updates.

Shit like this is form over function. Unfortunately, it's what the loudest tech enthusiasts have been asking for.

Irrationally hate any and all bezels but still want front-facing sensors? Here's the result.

I like bezels, you can hold the phone without covering the screen. Front facing stereo speaker bezels preferably. HTC One was the best design.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
the little bar at the bottom is the home button but it looks like a scrollbar

the actual scrollbar disappears behind the notch

what a mess

ZOONAMI

Shit like this is form over function. Unfortunately, it's what the loudest tech enthusiasts have been asking for.

Irrationally hate any and all bezels but still want front-facing sensors? Here's the result.

Or you just have a small bezel all the way across the top like everyone else?

borghe

Apple is ahead of Garmin with the actual tasks you can do from the watch, that's true. But saying that Garmin is "on par" with Apple from a fitness perspective is laughable. Garmin is so far beyond Apple in that regard that it isn't even a contest. The new watch doesn't come close to matching "100% the fuctionality of the garmins"
not sure what garmin I was "up against" this weekend (my buddy's), but the only thing my OG was short on was GPS and the swimming workouts available in the S2.. and the altimeter.

The S2 seems to match most garmins except for the altimeter.

S3 then seems to shore the altimeter up. and then has all of the connectivity (both tethered and untethered) related to the phone.

edit - and my OG even stood up to a a 40min open water swim.. I was a bit hesitant to try at IP67.. but I didn't want to lose out on the calories/activity.. handled it like a champ.

Top Bottom