• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch Protection Thread

SURGEdude

Is there a lower rez version of this thread for those of us still stuck on 14.4k?

Not everybody can afford to take the chance on buying 56k until we know if x2 or kflex will win the standards war. I'm not fuckin' made of money even if i am pretty fly for a white guy.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
How are we netting out with screen protectors I can get online? I don't want anything too invasive/bulky but I'm about to hit a major world traveling work project so I should take precautions

Wayoshi

I got the PDP starter kit (MARIO icon version) that has a solid case and a screen protector. Thanks for recommendation on thin foam.

This thread and the simple and cheap solutions people have - it just amazes that Nintendo have the balls to charge $90 for the screen scratching hunk of plastic. How much would it have cost per unit to add that small foam area in bulk, 25c?

Wayoshi

The PDP screen protector I got was... bad. I mean, it's likely a relatively isolated incident, but it had these weird spots on it when I took it out of the packaging. It was only $8 so I'm not like pissed off but it was annoying. Will try out the Hori one next I guess.

I cut small strips from the Switch Pro controller wrapping and taped to each side (similar to what the person did above). Works great, most of you should still have that stuff from the various packages.
Well shit that's a bad sign. Lol

Syranth

Is there a lower rez version of this thread for those of us still stuck on 14.4k?

Not everybody can afford to take the chance on buying 56k until we know if x2 or kflex will win the standards war. I'm not fuckin' made of money even if i am pretty fly for a white guy.

Just pick up one of those US Robotics 56k modems. You know you want one!

maxcriden

Trying these questions again (from the other screen thread) to see if anyone can shed some light. Thank you!

I tried putting a thin microfiber cloth between the dock and the screen, but there was clear resistance when putting in/taking out the system, so I decided against it. I honestly could see the added pressure ending up doing more damage.

I've been careful when inserting/removing and the only marks I ever get are at the very bottom on bezel where the rubberized portion of the dock touches. These wipe away with microfiber cloth very easily.

Basically, seems like an non issue if you are careful.

Thanks for the tips. I didn't think of the added pressure.
http://i.imgur.com/cM7UThO.jpg
Would this method be a concern for adding pressure? I have a sheet of it draped inside the dock and it's slightly tight.

I draped a microfiber cloth over the edge and into the stand for now. Might look at a more elegant solution later.

any reason not to do this? heat etc.?

--

The recommended one is the Nintendo Switch Screen Protector Glass, amFilm Nintendo Switch Tempered Glass Screen Protector for Nintendo Switch 2017 (2-Pack) (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3ASPNV/?tag=neogaf0e-20), right?

Any just as recommended? This one isn't slated to arrive till 3/9 at the earliest with expedited shipping. Or if not, anything I should put on in the meantime? :/

Thanks all!

SgtFlowers

Neo Member
cip4AZI.jpg

I used a spare microfiber cloth (black would have been better) to which I stuck double sided tape to one side and cut to the required size. Easy ☺️

Thanks for this, I did the samething and easy peasy.

iMkh

Neo Member
Thanks for the info, OP!
Just bought the amFilm one but I'm wondering, does it have 2.5D edges?

This thread and the simple and cheap solutions people have - it just amazes that Nintendo have the balls to charge $90 for the screen scratching hunk of plastic. How much would it have cost per unit to add that small foam area in bulk, 25c?

I feel like they should recall the dock and furnish customers who already bought a Switch with a more competently made replacement to slide our Switches into.

DavidDesu

They should have put soft foam rolling wheels on either side! Like tiny little skates made of foam. Would make it slip in and out extremely smoothly and the rolling nature means very little chance of grit and dirt being dragged down the screen, it would just roll through the wheels...

I'm a genius!

Edit: and I'm waiting to see a company that lets you send in your dock and they cut off the front part of the dock and tidy it up, maybe leaving just enough of a cradle at the bottom to hold the switch but otherwise leaving the screen completely exposed..

Syril

For the dock I took the packing sleeve that the controller grip came in and put it over the entire front of the dock. It actually fits very tightly.

Eusis

You say that, but they gave us all free condoms for throwing Wii Remotes into TVs!

Which means they'd just make their own bumpers to adhere to the inside of the dock, not actually recall the dock.

EDIT: And I think I'd stick with the REGULAR Hori screen protector for now and move over to Tempered once that got beat up enough and the situation for getting screen covers cools down.

maxcriden

For the dock I took the packing sleeve that the controller grip came in and put it over the entire front of the dock. It actually fits very tightly.

That'd what I did as well, I'm trying to figure out though if that is too tight, i.e. if the added pressure will affect the screen (see my post a few posts up).

Syranth

haha yeah i wasn't too sure about those So i went to Safeway and bought this....

PKemnZCl.jpg

I did this as well (we always have moleskin in the house for Disneyland trips) and it worked really well. One thing I want to point out is if you don't cut the space out for the rubber spots Nintendo already did then it's a tight fit. I originally tried putting the mole skin across the whole strip and it didn't slide in or out comfortably. After looking at the pic I slapped my forehead and cut out those spots. Perfect now.

On the bad side mole skin strips seems to give off debris. Easy enough to blow off of the screen gently and I'm sure it will go away after time.

Best solution so far

That's basically just felt, the other inevitable issue is that it will trap dust and dirt and create small scratches over time. You basically just need to have a screen protector. I'm still partial to the electrical tape though because that's quite easy to clean.

We really just need Nintendo to offer rubber sticker pads.

Key2001

Apparently at least some AMfilm tempered glass screen protectors has shown signs of melting after a few hours of playing the Switch while docked.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5xlfxy/switch_melted_my_screen_protector/

i don't know if they just didn't apply the protector correctly, if it is due to the adhesive the protector uses or if the Switch just gets too hot for a screen protector while docked.

Some suggested that perhaps (hopefully) letting the adhesive settle for a day or so before playing the Switch while docked will prevent this.

grimm_shado

Unconfirmed Member
I tried using electrical tape, but it created too much friction.

Getting the tablet in and out of the dock was almost impossible.

I ended up putting on a Hori plastic screen protector that I found, but naturally even though I tried as hard as I could not to, I got a speck of dust under the screen. -_-

I don't see how a screen protector is an end all solution, since it can get scratched as well. I'm guessing the shredded microfiber cloth with double-sided scotch tape is the way to go? Hopefully it doesn't peal and make a mess.

Apparently at least some AMfilm tempered glass screen protectors has shown signs of melting after a few hours of playing the Switch while docked.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5xlfxy/switch_melted_my_screen_protector/

i don't know if they just didn't apply the protector correctly, if it is due to the adhesive the protector uses or if the Switch just gets too hot for a screen protector while docked.

Some suggested that perhaps (hopefully) letting the adhesive settle for a day or so before playing the Switch while docked will prevent this.

I haven't played anything longer than an hour and only in handheld at this point. It sounds like pretty much every screen protector is having issues with the dock. It must be getting really freaking hot while in the Dock. That's concerning.

Edit: Upon looking I'm having a hard time seeing where it's melted? The picture is pretty poor quality. May just be the screen protector is unsettled, or maybe it's the pressure/tightness from the Dock. It's really hard to know at this point.

Edit 2: At the bottom?

I tried using electrical tape, but it created too much friction.

Getting the tablet in and out of the dock was almost impossible.

I ended up putting on a Hori plastic screen protector that I found, but naturally even though I tried as hard as I could not to, I got a speck of dust under the screen. -_-

I don't see how a screen protector is an end all solution, since it can get scratched as well. I'm guessing the shredded microfiber cloth with double-sided scotch tape is the way to go? Hopefully it doesn't peal and make a mess.

How much electrical tape did you use and how thick was it? That seems really odd, I used two pieces overlapped on each ridge of mine and it still has room to wiggle in mine.

What about paper tape? Electrical tape I have is too much "sticky", it also leaves marks on plastic.

It's sounding like the best option right now is probably a FELT tape or Microfiber cloth. The only issue with pretty much all our solutions. Including electrical tape is they collect dirt and other particulates and might eventually become abrasive themselves. As we have them taped in it's hard to clean the cloth/felt so that's an issue.

We really really need to find a good source of really thing rubberized nubs. Like the Switch dock has near the bottom.

Key2001

I haven't played anything longer than an hour and only in handheld at this point. It sounds like pretty much every screen protector is having issues with the dock. It must be getting really freaking hot while in the Dock. That's concerning.

Edit: Upon looking I'm having a hard time seeing where it's melted? The picture is pretty poor quality. May just be the screen protector is unsettled, or maybe it's the pressure/tightness from the Dock. It's really hard to know at this point.

Edit 2: At the bottom?

It's not my picture so I can't say for sure but it appears to be mainly at the bottom edge although someone else stated it is happening along all edges except the top for them.

Well, I've been looking at a tempered glass solution. Never really used them in the past. I got the regular hori screen protector coming Monday and will probably use it as a stop gap. I saw Anker has one coming out and I do like there products.

I generally never use screen protectors. 1.5 years with my Note 5, one scratch. Doesn't bother me, but, I think a scratch on my Switch would affect me more.

Ein Bear

As suggested, this has got to be a problem with not letting the adhesive settle properly. I know the dock gets pretty warm, but there's no way it's getting hot enough in there to melt glass.

Cross posting my moleskin method for those interested:

Moleskin
51uoU9E6o5L._SY300_.jpg

Just cut into shape and apply. They're self adhesive.

rPpKtuS.jpg

WImPatk.jpg

Honestly feels like it's built into the system. The Switch glides beautifully into place. Honestly thinking about putting it on the back ridges too.

Obviously this situation should never have happened, but I'm super pleased with the result.

Key2001

As suggested, this has got to be a problem with not letting the adhesive settle properly. I know the dock gets pretty warm, but there's no way it's getting hot enough in there to melt glass.

I also doubt it is melting the glass (otherwise the plastic screen would melt), if anything it is the adhesive that would be melting causing the screen protector to start turning loose (this is also likely the culprit due to the Hori protectors peeling).

ktroopa

For UK gaf i just applied these to my dock

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006YDCL8Q/

Its an amazon add-on item but get round that by preodering something and then after canc... Etc

The smallest pads are very soft and velvet like, i applied 3 to each rail on the screen side and compressed them when applied with my thumb. Black so it blends in :) they work great! Switch fits snug but enough to remove easily. For £2 not bad, il save the rest for my furniture.

So I just put the Switch back in the dock and I knocked it over and the screen fell it. There's two pretty big scratches on the screen now and I hate myself pretty bad right now because I'm usually very careful with these things.

What are my options? Going back to the store? Contacting Nintendo?

maxcriden

Cross posting my moleskin method for those interested:

Moleskin
51uoU9E6o5L._SY300_.jpg

Just cut into shape and apply. They're self adhesive.

rPpKtuS.jpg

WImPatk.jpg

Honestly feels like it's built into the system. The Switch glides beautifully into place. Honestly thinking about putting it on the back ridges too.

Obviously this situation should never have happened, but I'm super pleased with the result.

I did this as well (we always have moleskin in the house for Disneyland trips) and it worked really well. One thing I want to point out is if you don't cut the space out for the rubber spots Nintendo already did then it's a tight fit. I originally tried putting the mole skin across the whole strip and it didn't slide in or out comfortably. After looking at the pic I slapped my forehead and cut out those spots. Perfect now.

On the bad side mole skin strips seems to give off debris. Easy enough to blow off of the screen gently and I'm sure it will go away after time.

(Also #paging immortald3ath)

For y'all using moleskin, are you concerned at all about the pressure on the screen issue that Kagoshima_Luke mentioned?

Kagoshima_Luke said:
I tried putting a thin microfiber cloth between the dock and the screen, but there was clear resistance when putting in/taking out the system, so I decided against it. I honestly could see the added pressure ending up doing more damage.

I've been careful when inserting/removing and the only marks I ever get are at the very bottom on bezel where the rubberized portion of the dock touches. These wipe away with microfiber cloth very easily.

Basically, seems like an non issue if you are careful.

appleofenlightment made a related post:

My first post at Neogaf! I've broken radio silence after three years because of the infuriating misinterpretations in this thread.

Sticking felt / cushioning to the inside of the dock will INCREASE the potential for scratching the screen:

1. Over time, felt and textile materials can easily attract and hold dust particles. Tiny particles of dust can on a micro level be abrasive, sand like and scratch the screen.

2. Cushioning the inside of the dock with textile material will make the space in the dock tighter for Switch to fit inside, and thus magnifying the chances of scratching.

Having spent a few years working closely with industrial designers, I would say that Nintendo's decision not to include soft material in the dock is absolutely right -- even though this may at first seem unintuitive. As for the plastic of the dock scratching the screen, I doubt it and I'm sure this has been rigorously tested by Nintendo.

Thanks all. I'm considering canceling my AM protector given the melting issue. :/

tebunker

Banned
So I just put the Switch back in the dock and I knocked it over and the screen fell it. There's two pretty big scratches on the screen now and I hate myself pretty bad right now because I'm usually very careful with these things.

What are my options? Going back to the store? Contacting Nintendo?

uh this is gonna sound mean but this was your fault, so what should the store or Nintendo do?

Cepheus

I just ordered some Orzly tempered glass screen protectors since amfilm is 'currently unavailable' on Amazon, so they should be getting here before the end of the week. Kind of scared to put the console back in the dock before they arrive.

Brannon

On a different note, that big vent on top of the Switch pretty much necessitates a carrying sleeve when lugging it around. It's just so big and open and out there...

GDGF

Soothsayer
My case came in today. Going to grab that in a bit. Took the Switch to a (non-rooftop) party last night and was kind of worried about it getting scuffed. Going to grab a screen protector while I'm at it.

tebunker

Banned
I just put my screen protector on. Am I assuming right that I still need to pad the dock too?

Probably okay but give your screen a day to settle before throwing it in the dock.

I think a lot of folks don't take those warnings about letting a screen protector settle and dry out seriously. The heat generated in that dock isn't good for a fresh screen protector.

Probably okay but give your screen a day to settle before throwing it in the dock.

I think a lot of folks don't take those warnings about letting a screen protector settle and dry out seriously. The heat generated in that dock isn't good for a fresh screen protector.
Oops, better take it out now then.

anddo0

Ended up cancelling my amFilm order, and switched to iLLumiShield instead.. I'll get a tempted glass solution down the line when there is a proven brand.

Top Bottom