• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch Protection Thread

mrjohill

O61JbbG.jpg

Would these be good for the inside of the dock? They are felt

Thanati

Remember the days you could take out a new console and just use it with no problems :( I miss the PSX days, before there were updates and problems

amFilm protector ordered. Shame it's back ordered until next week.

and thanks for the idea on moleskin. I had some laying around that was the perfect size. had it cut and installed in a matter of minutes.

ag-my001

Remember the days you could take out a new console and just use it with no problems :( I miss the PSX days, before there were updates and problems
You mean the one where you had to turn the console upside down so the disc reader wouldn't wear out?

Or blowing on NES cartridges?

These quirks always seem to happen. I just pray for no more RRoDs.

Persona7

Banned
Anyone use the Premium Hori protector for handheld only? Might just keep install it because the dock in general has me heated due to the poor manufacturing.

Okay, the FoneM8 tempered glass screen protector is good. It's quite thin but it is still glass (feels much colder to the touch than anything else in the room), and it is a pretty much exact fit so I had to use the tape method of positioning.

It didn't include tape and I didn't want to use any tape on the Switch anyway due to the adhesive issues, so instead I used the thin paper that held the cleaning cloth and cleaning sticker that came with the protector.

I removed my joy cons, placed the paper down, then placed the Switch flat face up on top of it. Then I positioned the screen protector, pulled up the paper, and then taped over the paper and the screen protector to form a hinge. Then I flipped the screen protector down on the hinge, cleaned the screen, removed the back of the screen protector, flipped it back up so it was over the screen, pulled it tight then placed it down.

I misjudged the placement a very tiny bit, it's like 1mm more left than it should be, but it looks fine and is stuck down firmly. Very happy for £5.99. I'll report back tomorrow after I've let the adhesive dry to see how the dock handles it.

I can say it's immediately a huge upgrade over the screen protector that came with my official case. I actually WANT to touch the screen now, and it attracts less dust by nature of being glass rather than sticky plastic.

Specht

Neo Member
Not so sure this is a good thing. I bought some felt stickers (they are really thin) and they put too much pressure on the Switch and make the back rub against the dock. There isn't enough space to put felt on both sides.

Better off buying a tempered glass protector.

gSKtcaA.jpg

X0Tu9kf.jpg

GAsjBYf.jpg

aXqGsfS.jpg

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Everyone buying and putting felt on their docks realize you are increasing your chances of dust, dirt, etc. collecting in the material right?

Hylian7

Pretty sure this is referring to skins, not screen protectors. (It's talking about peeling paint from the joycons/back of Switch)

Ah, didn't realize it.

I think I'm still sticking with the Hori as I have it and live with the bubble I see on the corner. It'll keep it from getting scratched, and at the end of the day all I care about is that I can see clearly and it isn't scratched.

Amneisac

I think electrical tape is sufficient to cover the rails, right? It's practically invisible and I shouldn't think it could scratch the screen.

antonz

Got my amFilm set in today. Nice sturdy box. Everything is packaged nicely. Techmatte even contacted me by email through amazon shortly after it was confirmed delivered to let me know they had uploaded a video to show installation. Letting me know if there is any issues they are ready to work with etc. Clearly they are working to establish themselves as a main source of screen protectors for the switch on amazon so going the extra distance but it is appreciated.

japtor

Got impatient and just scoured eBay for screen protectors, there's a few more options there. I don't even remember which one I got but it was a little less and should be here by Monday.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Got my glass amFilm set today. Applying it wasn't too bad; I think I nailed the placement perfectly. Gonna let it sit for 24 hours so that the adhesive can set. Not sure that even makes a difference, but I'm wary after seeing that post about the weird bubbling one person had after docked play.

VanWinkle

Finally got a screen protector. It was one that came with some random Switch case that was at Walmart. I wanted something for now since it's hard to get one of those glass protectors.

I'm kind of sad though, because the alignment isn't absolutely perfect and there are a couple of tiny imperfection (the one circled in red definitely being the worst). :'( The installation process was kind of terrible though, because it just had the screen protector itself and one layer of plastic that's covering the part that goes on the actual screen. Most protectors I've seen have a bottom layer, the actual protector, and then the top layer, so I messed up at first when trying to install it.

Oh well, at least it's not my permanent protector.

hmse2B7.jpg

Loving these amFilm impressions. Keep em coming.

Does it feel like a typical glass screen when you slide your finger on the touch screen? One reason I wanted a glass protector is because I don't like the feeling of the Switch's plastic screen. My finger doesn't glide at all.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.

Does it feel like a typical glass screen when you slide your finger on the touch screen? One reason I wanted a glass protector is because I don't like the feeling of the Switch's plastic screen. My finger doesn't glide at all.
To be honest I didn't really touch the screen at all before putting the glass on, but testing it out now, it feels really good and slick.

Yes.

Aesthet1c

I was thinking about grabbing the amfilm glass protector off Amazon, but I don't usually like glass screen protectors because of the thickness they add to the screen. I also worry after seeing people updating their reviews to say the screen protector bubbled after sitting in the dock.

Right now I went with the amfilm plastic screen protector which comes out next week. I'm hoping that one still has the positive reviews that the glass one does without the thickness or the bubbling issue.

Bongo

Neo Member
Good to hear about the amfilm. I ordered mine a few days ago and won't be here until the 15th I believe. I was hesitant but it seems to be pretty good.

MattyG

Banned
Just bought the amFilm ones. I hate screen protectors because any dust under them makes me go nuts but it sounds like these are easy to avoid that with. I'm only going to use it handheld until they get here and only going to touch the screen with microfiber to prevent oil buildup that might fuck up application. Fingers crossed.

Rhapsody

Banned
I probably should've gone with amFilm. Did a last minute change to Orzly a couple days ago instead since everyone here kept ordering them. Hope this one turns out alright.

Just received and applied my amFilm today.

Super easy application. I only have one small speck of dust, but it's on the bezel so I'm going to just be happy with what I got and not try to mess with it.

It looks great. Can't even tell it's there, adds next to nothing in terms of 'bulk.'

I let it sit about six and a half hours after application before playing in the dock. Zelda has been running for around two hours now, so we'll see if there's any bubbling.

Wallach

Yep, the amFilm one feels great to the touch. The Switch screen definitely felt bad by comparison.

Does anyone know of a Canadian source to buy the AmFilm glass protector? Seems like the best option but Amazon.com doesn't ship to Canadaland

Wasp14

I went to Walmart and bought vinyl electrical tape and also the $12.99 Hori screen protector. Should that suffice?

So...I'm getting the am protector in a day or so...but now am worried about protecting the backside of the switch from scratches. Now that I'm hearing that microfiber and the like wont work as they can trap dust, I'm all out of ideas.

Just applied my Am protector. Slight piece of hair right smack dab in the middle. Not too bothersome. Also the protector went on slightly crooked (my fault), as it is slightly more to one side than the other. The top is also slightly exposed but I don't think screen protectors in general ever cover up the ENTIRE screen 100% anyway.

Other than that, pretty easy process.

japtor

I really wanna order a glass protector but all the good ones are all delayed until like the 17-20
Could try eBay if you're desperate, could get it a few days earlier.

Still waiting on mine, supposed to get it Monday but we'll see. I got it for $8.49 but now it's up to $11.99 heh.
What about just putting a plastic screen protector inside the dock?
That still creates friction on the screen itself, that's what you want to avoid.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Everyone buying and putting felt on their docks realize you are increasing your chances of dust, dirt, etc. collecting in the material right?

Yeah I feel like anything fibrous is going to collect material that would scratch the screen far quicker than the bare plastic would.

Finally got a screen protector. It was one that came with some random Switch case that was at Walmart. I wanted something for now since it's hard to get one of those glass protectors.

I'm kind of sad though, because the alignment isn't absolutely perfect and there are a couple of tiny imperfection (the one circled in red definitely being the worst). :'( The installation process was kind of terrible though, because it just had the screen protector itself and one layer of plastic that's covering the part that goes on the actual screen. Most protectors I've seen have a bottom layer, the actual protector, and then the top layer, so I messed up at first when trying to install it.

Oh well, at least it's not my permanent protector.

hmse2B7.jpg

You can peel it back using some tape, use another strip of tape to remove the artifact, and re-apply.

antonz

Got my Amfilm protector installed. Went flawlessly and they look fantastic. Unless something goes wrong later I would absolutely say it is a safe brand to buy. Will say something if any issues pop up

Top Bottom