• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A little LTTP: Assassin's Creed: Origins

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I've always been a fan of the AC series when it was at its peak. I soured on it a bit the last few entries. So I was excited when this game got positive reviews.

I really liked it to start. The level and new battle system were refreshing, the mechanics and controls are better, more polished. Great visuals, big world.

The more I play it though, this game becomes more and more boring. I haven't really come across any interesting or cool areas in the world. The mission structure gets redundant... scout with Senu, either sneak in stealthily or go in and kill everything in sight, go to the mission objective, then escape, repeat.

Is this just the way it is for the rest of the game? Or are there different and more unique areas the farther you progress and better missions? I'm really finding the sidequests rather dull to the point where I've started to skip dialogue scenes. They are sidequests, I don't expect them to be anything great. The problem is, I think the main quest is rather dull too. Especially compared to the original core AC games, and Black Flag.

Does anything change or am I at the point where if I'm bored now, I shouldn't expect anything to pick up?

Ubi needs to spend less time on art design and more on gameplay

But the French do paint a pretty picture! Unity was beyond gorgeous

I agree.

I loved it at first, but the core gameplay is repetitive and Bayek is so dull. I think he's the worst protagonist of all AC games. I yawn everytime he opens his mouth.

I'll finish it when I have nothing else to play, it's not a bad game and the world is great, but Black Flag is still king IMO.

Tommi84

LTTP are not for games that came out like 1.5 months ago.

For A.Creed, LTTP could be made for Black Flag or something

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I figured, but I didn't want people to think I was trying to make an official AC: Origins thread or something, so I figured I'd throw it in there. I'll stick with it for a couple more days, if no quests come up that really suck me back in, then I'm gonna take a break from it.

120v

i was feeling the normal open world/ubi "why am i even doing this?" ennui halfway through the game but then i started going off rails and exploring when i was geared decently (but still not enough to not get pummeled in places i obviously shouldn't be) and started having fun again

great game i just wish the combat was more refined. that's what's holding it back for me anyway. and some of the sidequest stories are ridiculous with their brevity, like the one (minor spoiler)
where the roman husband and egyptian wife's daughter gets killed by the croc's men... intended to be some heavy hitting emotional moment but you litterally knew her for like ten seconds

Red Comet

I’ve had the same experience with Origins that I have with pretty much every AC game. I’m amazed at the new mechanics and overwhelmed at first, but then, like you said, it becomes repetitive and boring. I’m a completionist and there’s just too much of the same to do. I really like this game, but I’ve been playing other things before I muster the energy to go back and finish it.

Assassin's Creed games are all like this. The Black Flag team did a good job on this game, though. But yeah, all of these games get redundant by the end of the campaign.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I watched my wife play the majority of this game and from what I understand you have to level up to do the main quest, so you're stuck doing side quest. Some of the side stuff is boring.

I thought that the the
Phylakes were a nice touch. Saving people from deadly creatures can be fun. The locations do change and you have to travel a lot. There's the arena which is fun at max level.
These aren't major spoilers. The monthly boss battles feel like they've been designed the same way, but they're cool to look at.

There's some interesting side missions but it's all somewhat hidden beneath a fetch quest or the same quest you've done multiple times.
the best parts are the quests dealing with the cryptic pieces and also how they dealt with the dead

It gets better once you're focused on getting better equipment. My wife maxed everything out, so it's much easier to see something like a high level animal or captain and go after them.

I felt like exploring was a lot of fun, but then you'd get to where you wanted to go and it led you nowhere. You just have to do random things and go exploring once in a while. Pick an area, highlight it, and then just do it.

You can mark crafting items in order to hunt for them. I liked that feature.

jayjay275

Which is the BEST AC game? 4?

Personal favourites are AC3 and Brotherhood for me, but AC4 is definitely up there. Origins was great as well, in terms of exploration and side content to do that is. Story starts off well, but sort of dwindles and gets progressively thinner in depth. It's not the worst story in the series though, that probably goes to Syndicate.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I watched my wife play the majority of this game and from what I understand you have to level up to do the main quest, so you're stuck doing side quest. Some of the side stuff is boring.

I thought that the the
Phylakes were a nice touch. Saving people from deadly creatures can be fun. The locations do change and you have to travel a lot. There's the arena which is fun at max level.
These aren't major spoilers. The monthly boss battles feel like they've been designed the same way, but they're cool to look at.

There's some interesting side missions but it's all somewhat hidden beneath a fetch quest or the same quest you've done multiple times.
the best parts are the quests dealing with the cryptic pieces and also how they dealt with the dead

It gets better once you're focused on getting better equipment. My wife maxed everything out, so it's much easier to see something like a high level animal or captain and go after them.

I felt like exploring was a lot of fun, but then you'd get to where you wanted to go and it led you nowhere. You just have to do random things and go exploring once in a while. Pick an area, highlight it, and then just do it.

You can mark crafting items in order to hunt for them. I liked that feature.

I fail to see why mentioning phylakes needed to be considered spoilers.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I fail to see why mentioning phylakes needed to be considered spoilers.

Yea. I realized that after I typed it. It's something to look forward to if you're interested in the whole being hunted thing. I personally enjoyed watching them appear on the map. Knowing they could one shot you if there was a major level difference.

If OP changes his mind and wants a fresh look outlook on everything then knowing everything out front isn't always what people want. Fresh eyes and seeing aspects of a game first hand can be rewarding.

Yea. I realized that after I typed it. It's something to look forward to if you're interested in the whole being hunted thing. I personally enjoyed watching them appear on the map. Knowing they could one shot you if there was a major level difference.

If OP changes his mind and wants a fresh look outlook on everything then knowing everything out front isn't always what people want. Fresh eyes and seeing aspects of a game first hand can be rewarding.

Are they difficult if you are 1-2 levels below? Playing on hard

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This how I felt when I played pervious AC games and more recently Horizon. I really wish this type of open world design would just stop. this just feels like you are just doing chore list and busy work and it not fun.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Are they difficult if you are 1-2 levels below? Playing on hard

I watched my wife do it. There was one tactic where you
[throw fire bombs at them and then either hit them with your bow or go in with your mount. This is benefitcial if you want to keep them distracted
Id say if you have a good defense then you should be fine.

The most difficult times I saw were when they are in groups and you're outnumbered and underleveled. They should be fine when they're alone.

Top Bottom