• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 4 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
new daario sucked major ass.
episode 1 didn't show enough of him. so i kinda gave a wait and see approach/benefit of the doubt.

but man. last episode was supposed to be his time to shine.
but i see no flair. no showmanship. no arrogance.

just plain. plain. plain. even the wink was plain.
just imagine the horseface daario giving you that wink and smirk. i'd punch the screen

i no like.

generic stark man #12 is correct.

So whipping your dick out and pissing is standard procedure for you? Don't answer that.

-griffy-

Banned
Cersei is Jaqen

Jaqen is Einhorn. Einhorn is Finkle. Finkle is Cersei? Finkle is Cersei!

YTqFt64.gif

you might wanna check every post in this thread since the episode ended haha.

so other people didn't like the rape? stupid decision by the writers in my opinion. how can I support a rapist? sure, he's killed a king and fucked his sister; that's all fine and well. I'm not okay with rape though. writers dun goofed

-griffy-

Banned
so other people didn't like the rape? stupid decision by the writers in my opinion. how can I support a rapist? sure, he's killed a king and fucked his sister; that's all fine and well. I'm not okay with rape though. writers dun goofed

There's been lengthy discussion, and the short of it is that according to the director, the scene's intent was for it to be much more similar to the books in that Cersei protests at first but then gets into it. Unfortunately she doesn't give vocal consent in the scene in the show, and the physical cues are obviously too subtle. So the intent was for it to be much closer to the book. Pretty much simply a scene not communicating its intent properly.

There's been lengthy discussion, and the short of it is that according to the director, the scene's intent was for it to be much more similar to the books in that Cersei protests at first but then gets into it. Unfortunately she doesn't give vocal consent in the scene in the show, and the physical cues are obviously too subtle. So the intent was for it to be much closer to the book. Pretty much simply a scene not communicating its intent properly.

Even if she does say yes...it's still iffy. The movie Straw Dogs (original) had a similar Controversy. Idk if anybody else thought of that film when that scene went down.

RedShift

Hey, I like that one.

Meera is pretty much exactly the same age as Robb and Jon so I guess she has to either be conceived just before Howland left to fight in the Rebellion or during it somehow.

But of course Ashara Dayne is busy being Septa Lamore with Yound Griff so she couldn't be Jojen's mother as well could she?

Meera is pretty much exactly the same age as Robb and Jon so I guess she has to either be conceived just before Howland left to fight in the Rebellion or during it somehow.

Some people believe Ned to be the father of Ashara's child, so his posse must have met with her right around that time.

Showaddy

I'm sad Daenerys is about to peak in terms of "power". I wonder how that will go over with the general audience of the show.

Dany & Cersei both looking like complete toolbag rulers and having to be bailed out by Barristan & Kevan probably isn't going to go down well with some viewers.

kirblar

I think it'll be one and done next season to be honest. 8 episodes of stupidity, Daznak's pit in episode 9 and then Victarion rocks up in episode 10.
Because there's so much going on this season, Dany taking the city has to happen soon so they can "cool down" her story. Eps 8/9/10 all have pretty obvious climaxes for other arcs.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It kind of amused me that the show conveniently forgot that Daario commands all of Dany's sellswords (after they merged the companies together) when they selected him to be her champion or at least assumed everyone watching would forget that.

Good point. That hadn't occurred to me.

dubq

It kind of amused me that the show conveniently forgot that Daario commands all of Dany's sellswords (after they merged the companies together) when they selected him to be her champion or at least assumed everyone watching would forget that.

Good point. Actually, after Daario killed the other two leaders of the sellswords last season, did we ever even see the sellsword company on screen again? I seem to really only remember seeing Unsullied doing the fighting.

At least we're probably only getting 1.5 seasons of Dany failing to rule.

I am so glad that they will condense Dany's storyline from ADWD. I know that some people liked it, but the morals of her storyline (she's still a naive girl and has to learn how to rule, ruling comes with a cost, dragons are no pets) can easily be accelerated. And I hope they will focus more on Ser Barristan. That dude is seriously underused.

And it would make sense since he becomes a POV character in the books.

pr0cs

I think this last episode was probably one of the weakest in the series, it just felt so disjointed and made a lot of mistakes.
1) throw away all Jaime's redemption arc, making it appear like a rape, I realize the timing of when he and Cersei and the purple wedding all take place and the requirements of filming but making the scene with the body appear like a rape was terrible and totally undermines his redemption
2) Daario (mia Belwas) battle at the gates of Meereen was totally underwhelming. A thrown knife? Really?
3) Wildings went over the wall to have the element of surprise to a force that they are told WAY outnumber them, yet they let a child free to 'let the crows know we're coming'. WTF?!

The last episode stumbled.. badly...

Jayof9s

Good point. Actually, after Daario killed the other two leaders of the sellswords last season, did we ever even see the sellsword company on screen again? I seem to really only remember seeing Unsullied doing the fighting.

We don't see her dothraki very often either (not that she has many left), I think it is just easier to show the unsullied and forget the rest. But yeah, that kind of bugged me that they just glossed over the entire reason he's supposed to be there.

-griffy-

Banned
I think this last episode was probably one of the weakest in the series, it just felt so disjointed and made a lot of mistakes.
1) throw away all Jaime's redemption arc, making it appear like a rape, I realize the timing of when he and Cersei and the purple wedding all take place and the requirements of filming but making the scene with the body appear like a rape was terrible and totally undermines his redemption
2) Daario (mia Belwas) battle at the gates of Meereen was totally underwhelming. A thrown knife? Really?
3) Wildings went over the wall to have the element of surprise to a force that they are told WAY outnumber them, yet they let a child free to 'let the crows know we're coming'. WTF?!

The last episode stumbled.. badly...
1) Been exhaustively covered.
2) That scene was freaking awesome in the best Indiana Jones type way
3) It's pretty clearly stated that they are trying to draw some of Castle Black's forces out so they can thin the flock, so to speak. So they can decrease the amount of men manning Castle Black, specifically because they think they are outnumbered. It makes perfect sense.

PFD

I think it'll be one and done next season to be honest. 8 episodes of stupidity, Daznak's pit in episode 9 and then Victarion rocks up in episode 10.

Are they gonna condense books 4&5 into one season?

3) It's pretty clearly stated that they are trying to draw some of Castle Black's forces out so they can thin the flock, so to speak. So they can decrease the amount of men manning Castle Black, specifically because they think they are outnumbered. It makes perfect sense.

I also believe something similar happened in the books. They tried to draw them out of the castle.

I believe this reasoning is also consistent with the book.

Are they gonna condense books 4&5 into one season?

Seems like the will be started with certain characters book 4 and 5 stories already. Theon is in the middle of his story. Brienne might start hers. Dany maybe done with her book 3 story by next week. Bran will probably be done with his book 5 story by this season.

Sam-no.gif

So that got heated huh? Had it ruined beforehand before me by a "I CANT EVEN" tumblr girl on my Facebook who has been promptly deleted. But I don't quite know what to make of it. It was definitely a bit out of nowhere. It's like they wanted Jaime to start standing up to Cersei but still wanted the sex scene in and couldn't decide one way or another. Yikes though.

dubq

My thoughts on the Cersei part: Lena Headey has brought the TV version of Cersei alive in a way I didn't think was possible. Cersei can be vindictive, cruel and self-absorbed, but she's not one-dimensional. It wouldn't be much of a leap to call her an alcoholic -- not an implausible response to the years of rape and violence she endured during her marriage to Robert Baratheon.

Was this ever implied in the show or the books? I can't recall..

Both IIRC. Robert was kinda a douche to her, but it's been a while since I read GoT. In Westeros though, Robert was her husband, he could pretty much do her whenever he wanted, her wishes be damned. I do believe he smacked her around a bit too, but that might just be a show memory coloring my memory of the books. In the show it was more than implied though, Cersei flat out says it.

dubq

Both IIRC. Robert was kinda a douche to her, but it's been a while since I read GoT. In Westeros though, Robert was her husband, he could pretty much do her whenever he wanted, her wishes be damned. I do believe he smacked her around a bit too, but that might just be a show memory coloring my memory of the books. In the show it was more than implied though, Cersei flat out says it.

In the show, I only remember Ned asking if Robert had struck her before, and she said no, otherwise Jaime would've killed him.

The raping thing, though, I also remember her saying Robert couldn't even perform in bed (drunk) so she'd "finish him off in other ways."

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
During Tywin's speech to Tommen about a wise king knowing what he knows and doesn't know, did anyone else get reminded of Donald Rumsfeld?

lol

Irminsul

I can't recall it that well either, but I think that even in the books it is more or less directly stated that Cersei was raped by Robert at least once. As to the exact wording of your quote, no, I don't think it actually is "years of rape and violence". But I could be wrong.

Palmer_v1

That damned scene has basically ruined both threads. It's like this is Rape Awareness Month, sponsored by Game of Thrones. A fucking trainwreck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom