• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Pre-order Thread - iPhone 8, 8+, Watch Series 3, AppleTV 4K

The rep may very well not know, just saying

It also depends on what version gets uploaded to Apple’s servers. I also kind of doubt what the rep is saying since I downloaded John a Wick to my iPad Pro and it played in HDR, and that movie is a Dolby Vision movie and I doubt the iPad can correctly play DV content. It’s not impossible but I’m skeptical

Yep, time will tell. Are you sure the iPad Pro can't do DV? I can't find anything definitive in all of my searching. Some sites/folks claim it does, others claim it doesn't.

killroy87

I've never seen people rush to a thread for a product they don't care about to tell people how they're stupid for buying said product and why they shouldn't. It's incredible the amount of anger people feel when someone buys an electronic device.

Never?? Have you not followed literally any hardware thread on Gaf? Go to any Xbox One X thread lol, and get a taste of reality.

MercuryLS3

So if you were to see the front of the last four phones you would be able to tell the difference? Adding a few antenna bands does not mean a redesign. Nobody really stares at the back of their phone.

If I were to put those four phones on a desk right now, you would be able to tell me which one is which? You need to go look up the word design. I'm not talking about materials.

These are devices you hold in your hands and interact with. How the back looks and feels matters even if the front looks mostly the same.

Part of the reason I buy iphone is due to aesthetics, both hardware and software.

I thought it was just a licensing fee you had to pay and some minimum specs to support it.

HDR in general is so needlessly confusing imo.

I just wanna watch Wonder Woman in HDR on my new AppleTV dangit!

If there are any hints that can be found, there are three 4K label kings in the iTunes Store:

Just 4K, ex Hidden Figures. No HDR, just higher resolution
4K plus HDR, ex Deadpool
4K plus HDR plus Dolby Vision, ex Wonder Woman

All Dolby Vision titles also list regular HDR, not all HDR titles list Dolby Vision. This at least gives me confidence that they will fall back, otherwise wouldn’t they just list Dolby Vision?

If there are any hints that can be found, there are three 4K label kings in the iTunes Store:

Just 4K, ex Hidden Figures. No HDR, just higher resolution
4K plus HDR, ex Deadpool
4K plus HDR plus Dolby Vision, ex Wonder Woman

All Dolby Vision titles also list regular HDR, not all HDR titles list Dolby Vision. This at least gives me confidence that they will fall back, otherwise wouldn’t they just list Dolby Vision?

That's interesting that you're seeing that. Everything lines up for me on iTunes except Wonder Woman just shows 4K plus Dolby Vision, no HDR. Granted I'm on iOS10 still on a device that doesn't support HDR so who knows.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Thanks! Found a highly rated cheap transparent 7+ case that's highly rated and protects against shock and scratches. Will invest in something better later down the line when I have more money but I'll get that one for now.

Got a link to it?

That they skipped the S cycle this time around and calls it iPhone 8 bothers me more than it should.

The iPhone 8 IS a iPhone 7S dammit!

-griffy-

Banned
That's interesting that you're seeing that. Everything lines up for me on iTunes except Wonder Woman just shows 4K plus Dolby Vision, no HDR. Granted I'm on iOS10 still on a device that doesn't support HDR so who knows.

I'm pretty sure Dolby Vision has a base HDR10 layer, and then the Dolby Vision "stuff" is added on top of that. This ensures that devices that don't support DV still get the HDR.

I'm pretty sure Dolby Vision has a base HDR10 layer, and then the Dolby Vision "stuff" is added on top of that. This ensures that devices that don't support DV still get the HDR.

While that's true for 4K Blurays, it seems like that's not how Vudu does it and they only offer DV streams. The speculation is that Apple is doing the same.

I have an LG B65 OLED. I have found the Dolby Vision Streams on VUDU to be far superior to HDR10 UHD discs I own.

Guardians of the Galaxy DV blows Guardians HDR10 out of the water no contest.

-griffy-

Banned
While that's true for 4K Blurays, it seems like that's not how Vudu does it and they only offer DV streams. The speculation is that Apple is doing the same.
As a counterpoint, Netflix does both DV and HDR10. So who knows.

EDIT: Here's what Apple says themselves on their support site:
Dolby Vision is a proprietary standard of HDR. A movie in the iTunes Store might come with an HDR10 version, a Dolby Vision version, neither, or both. The movie will play in the HDR standard that your screen is capable of displaying.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
That they skipped the S cycle this time around and calls it iPhone 8 bothers me more than it should.

This is likely the end of the S branding. If it’s anything like the iPad naming they will just stop applying numbers all together.

Mm, looks like I was *sorta* mistaken. John Wick lists only Dolby Vision in the store, but in my library it lists both HDR and Dolby Vision as separate items. So who knows.

Edit:

Looks like we got confirmation about the iPad Pro quality debate:

Only the Apple TV 4K, connected to a 4K-compatible television with a compatible ultra-high speed HDMI cable, can play 4K content.

Huh. I feel like that's still confusing by saying it'll come in one or the other, neither or both - but then saying it'll display in the format your TV is capable of displaying.

So are they saying it'll show in HDR10 on a DV title if your TV doesn't support DV?

That is what I interpreted it as, yes. If the title offers both HDR10 and DV but your TV only does HDR10, it’ll play that version

-griffy-

Banned
Huh. I feel like that's still confusing by saying it'll come in one or the other, neither or both - but then saying it'll display in the format your TV is capable of displaying.

So are they saying it'll show in HDR10 on a DV title if your TV doesn't support DV?

Yeah I have no idea. I'm not sure if they even know! It's like, it'll probably come with one. Or both. Or neither. Who knows. Your TV will figure it out or something.

Farther down the article it's the same for existing purchases. Like, your old stuff might have 4K available now. Or not. It might get it in the future too. Who can say.

Pepiope

any movement in anybody's pre-orders yet? Mine is in the UPS system, but doesn't appear to be in transit yet
Mine is still being processed on T-Mobile. No movement at all. It still has a shipment date of the 21st so I think I'm still fine

LeleSocho

Banned
So if you were to see the front of the last four phones you would be able to tell the difference? Adding a few antenna bands does not mean a redesign. Nobody really stares at the back of their phone.

If I were to put those four phones on a desk right now, you would be able to tell me which one is which? You need to go look up the word design. I'm not talking about materials.

Huh are you kidding? You really are not able to see the difference between 6/6S and the 7 and 8? Jesus Christ dude you need to see an optometrist asap if that's true... either that or you don't care at all about the design of a phone which in that case you really shouldn't care if they changed it or not.
And it's you that needs to look up the word design not me, what you actually wanted to say is that it hasn't changed the form factor (which is wrong anyway as i explained before) not the design.

How about when they called iPhone 2 the "iPhone 3G", and then followed that with "3GS" (first in the S line!) before going with iPhone 4? Or are now calling a device "iPhone 10" without ever having an iPhone 9? Or how they've been stuck on Mac OS 10 for the past 16 years?

To Apple, numbers mean nothing :)

How about when they called iPhone 2 the "iPhone 3G", and then followed that with "3GS" (first in the S line!) before going with iPhone 4? Or are now calling a device "iPhone 10" without ever having an iPhone 9? Or how they've been stuck on Mac OS 10 for the past 16 years?

macOS 10 makes sense though since they've just been making changes to it for the past 16 years instead of making something drastically different.

Guess Who

Banned

The 3G in iPhone 3G did mean something! It was the first iPhone with 3G. :v It wasn't until the 4 that the numbers were meant to be, like, model numbers.

Guys it’s really simple

iPhone
iPhone 3G (first with 3G)
iPhone 3GS (S stands for Soeed)
iPhone 4 (4th model)
iPhone 4S (S stands for Shit we couldn’t get the 5 ready in time)

so im comparing the pricing of a 7 and an 8

the 7 (128 gb) is $27 a month

8 (64 gb) is $34 a month but apple care would be included with the apple upgrade program

so if I got apple care for the 7 it would end up being like the same price? am I missing something

y'all get apple care for phones?

storage space is really not an issue for me.. I have a 32 gb right now.. I think 64 is a nice sweet spot

so im comparing the pricing of a 7 and an 8

the 7 (128 gb) is $27 a month

8 (64 gb) is $34 a month but apple care would be included with the apple upgrade program

so if I got apple care for the 7 it would end up being like the same price? am I missing something

y'all get apple care for phones?

storage space is really not an issue for me.. I have a 32 gb right now.. I think 64 is a nice sweet spot

I’m on the iPhone upgrade program so I automatically have AppleCare. It’s worth it if

A) you get it on iUP and upgrade every year, since normally you have to prepay for two years of it but on iUP you only pay for the amount of months you use

B) you think you’ll break the screen more than one

C) you think you may really destroy the thing at least once

D) you don’t upgrade within one years time and want the warranty to last a second year

normally I wouldn't care about upgrading every year but I feel like next years phone might be the one to aim for if they fix some of the things I don't like about the X

I've had my current phone for 5-6 years and never had to replace anything on it so I wouldn't be worried about breaking stuff either

lmfao i kid. it doesn't let me edit anything. i was thinking maybe 2 hours after.

You could always try and get in touch with the store and let them know (keep in mind that the store number gets routed to AppleCare first, not the store itself). Though I do believe there’s like a three hour grace window for exactly this scenario before they give your phone back to general stock. I’ll try and confirm that.

Huh are you kidding? You really are not able to see the difference between 6/6S and the 7 and 8? Jesus Christ dude you need to see an optometrist asap if that's true... either that or you don't care at all about the design of a phone which in that case you really shouldn't care if they changed it or not.
And it's you that needs to look up the word design not me, what you actually wanted to say is that it hasn't changed the form factor (which is wrong anyway as i explained before) not the design.

More nonsense. So are you going to answer my question? Or are you going to keep avoiding it. I have three of the phones and I can put them on a desk next to a 8 on Friday, so will you be able to tell the difference? No you wouldn't. Hence why you keep avoiding my question. All the journalists including verge, wsj, Engadget, Cnet and big youtubers have called them out on it. They have all said the same thing about the design being the same in their reviews. But apparently they don't know a thing. We should trust the insight of LeleSocho. So maybe it's you who needs to go look up the word design and see your opticians.

You do realise the front is part of the design?

The Bad This phone has the same pedestrian design, missing headphone jack and battery life as the iPhone 7 -- and no dual camera either. The iPhone 8 costs a bit more than baseline new iPhones in years past, and comes only in black, silver and a new shade of gold.

https://www.cnet.com/products/apple-iphone-8-review/

The iPhone 8 is fundamentally the fourth generation of the iPhone 6 — Apple told us it thinks of the 8 as an “all-new design,” but that’s also what Apple said about the iPhone 6S and 7. It must take a lot of effort to keep reinventing the same basic design without actually changing it. The major difference you’ll notice is the glass back, but other than that nothing has changed — the 8 and 8 Plus will fit right into 7 and 7 Plus cases perfectly.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/19/16323570/apple-new-iphone-8-review-plus-2017

It is telling that for the first time in years, Apple has not followed a numbered iPhone - last year’s iPhone 7 - with an “s” variant. The message is that this phone is something brand new, not a mere iteration.

At the same time, the 8 and 8 Plus are familiar. They have the same basic design that iPhones have now had for four consecutive years. Apple is still selling the iPhone 7, iPhone 6s and iPhone SE, whose prices have been cut. And in a few weeks, the X will go on sale.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...s-review-worthy-upgrade-should-wait-iphone-x/

The 8s look almost identical to the iPhones 7, 6S and 6, a model first introduced back when Donald Trump was still hosting a reality TV show. To make matters worse, both are overshadowed by the $1,000 all-screen iPhone X, which Apple considers the foundation for the next iteration of the iPhone. That model ships in November, and reviewers have not yet had a chance to u

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/...ration.html?referer=https://www.google.co.uk/

Otherwise, the design looks just like last year’s iPhone 7 and 7 Plus. Home button: still there. Headphone jack: still gone. There’s a big bezel around the screen, which looks even larger compared to handsets like the Note 8 or Essential Phone. I suspect this is the last time an iPhone will ever look this way, as the all-screen design of the iPhone X takes hold of Apple’s entire lineup. It already feels outdated, especially on the 8 Plus—a humongous phone without a particularly humongous screen.

https://www.wired.com/2017/09/review-apple-iphone-8-and-8-plus/

While the iPhone X is a fairly radical redesign, broadly speaking the iPhone 8 has the same chassis design as the iPhone 7 - and the iPhone 6s and 6 before it. It's a three-year-old design: a classic, but one that's starting to show its age.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/review/iphone/iphone-8-vs-iphone-7-3664119/

We all are wrong. This Socho guy is right.

Maybe instead of trying to insult my eyesight. He does what he asked for advice in this thread of his and actually give his glasses a good proper clean.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1253766

Kaimu

To use wireless charging on the iphone 8 do you have to buy a seperate item? Or does it come with the wireless charging pad?

Red

To use wireless charging on the iphone 8 do you have to buy a seperate item? Or does it come with the wireless charging pad?

You have to buy it
I’m not sure what the question is. The iPhone is as capable of wireless charging out of the box as any other Qi-enabled device. But it does not come with a wireless charging pad. If you already have one, it should work with the iPhone.

I’m looking forward to the Pixel 2 announcement, and I hope Google makes a big push for chassis gesture control—beyond the tepid functions HTC included with the U11. A lot of folks get more excited about display tech, or processing power, or charging hardware. That stuff is all secondary to me. How we interface with these devices is most important, and direct input through the body of the phone will make more and more sense as we move into a future of all-screen designs. I hope Google has some success with the Pixel 2, and innovates in this area, where Apple has stagnated since deepening their touchscreen options with 3D Touch. Within 3 years, I hope they get back to imagining a better future for interaction. Neither the 8 nor the X excite in the way their original multitouch displays did.

Neither my AppleTV or iPhone 8 have shipped yet. They both say delivers Friday September 22nd but the status has been "Preparing for shipment" since I ordered them last Friday. Should I be concerned?

Names and numbers literally could not be more arbitrary

I think this attitude might of slightly backfire on Apple this time. Most of us haven been trained to think when we see the 'S' version that it is pretty much the same phone as last year's version, but with a better camera, processor, etc. Hell most people wait for the S version, because the attitude was it will always be the better version. Now this year they just jump to 8, and the most repeated negative comment is it is too much like the 7. I feel like if it was named the 7S this wouldn't be as big an issue. That said the 7 was way too close the 6 series.

Wasn't there a rumor that they want the 7 to look more like what the X is, but they couldn't get it done in time? If that is true it all makes sense. They reuse the 6 design for the 7 due to delays, and instead of waiting 2 years to release the new edition they do a special edition a year later? I am just trying to figure out Apple's logic.

Will there be a special edition next year? Or will next year's iPhone be pretty much the X, but without any number?

Neither my AppleTV or iPhone 8 have shipped yet. They both say delivers Friday September 22nd but the status has been "Preparing for shipment" since I ordered them last Friday. Should I be concerned?

I ordered the AppleTV 4K, and mine is also in the same status. In the past Apple has never missed their delivery date with me on pre-orders. I am pretty sure it is overnight.

I did order a iPhone 8 (day after pre-orders went live) for one of my lines that had a 6 on lease. They offered a deal where I could get the 8 for half price on the iPhone Forever, so in the end 8 is costing me less than the 6 was. It is my son's line, so for the time being I will be sticking with my 7+.

Red

My guess is either they wanted to transition to full screen devices but didn’t have the yields, or they wanted to milk their production chain for its most cost-effective products as long as possible.

I ordered the AppleTV 4K, and mine is also in the same status. In the past Apple has never missed their delivery date with me on pre-orders. I am pretty sure it is overnight.

I did order a iPhone 8 (day after pre-orders went live) for one of my lines that had a 6 on lease. They offered a deal where I could get the 8 for half price on the iPhone Forever, so in the end 8 is costing me less than the 6 was. It is my son's line, so for the time being I will be sticking with my 7+.

Hm okay that's good to know. I placed my order like 3 minutes after they went live so I would think that'd be sufficient for first day delivery. Guess I'll just wait and see.

Kaimu

I’m not sure what the question is. The iPhone is as capable of wireless charging out of the box as any other Qi-enabled device. But it does not come with a wireless charging pad. If you already have one, it should work with the iPhone.

Yeah my question was if it came with a wireless charging pad. Sorry english ain't my main language :)

Just looked at apple's website and tons of models still have release day delivery, either people don't care anymore or the iPhone X launch will be brutal.

Top Bottom