• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

this_guy

Through Hangout Dialer it works okay from what I gathered. The problem is if you use GV to dial out by default using the phone app, it always fails. The only workaround for now is if you force GV to ask you every time you dial out -- that works for some people but not me. I'm not sure about receiving calls; didn't test that. I've already reverted back to Marshmallow and probably never going to update my phone until they fix the problems, if ever. Other SIP app have different types of issues reported but I don't have first hand experience with them.

Good to know. Have you tried installing a third party dialer and setting it as a default to see if the problem is related only to the Huawei stock dialer?

Jeffrey

I swear my mate 9 already has some sort of not Google voice something.

How would soft keys work on iOS without complete revamp of the OS?

I guess they could have separate buttons for home, multitask... Siri?

I swear my mate 9 already has some sort of not Google voice something.

How would soft keys work on iOS without complete revamp of the OS?

I guess they could have separate buttons for home, multitask... Siri?
It might just include multi tasking, home and maybe one other thing. All stuff you can do with the home button now. But yeah will believe when I see but it makes sense when going bezeless. Especially if the finger print sensor is embedded in the screen. Will act as the designated fingerprint spot too.

Rembrandt

Banned
I finally saw an android that fell victim to those malware antivirus apps and is 3 so ridiculous. You get your regular lockscreen after swiping through 3 ad full ones and it leaves 6 notifications about your phone being infected ironically.

I'mma do a full wipe tomorrow but that shit is nuts since I'm sure they all came from the app store. Even if it's only malicious in that it's money comes from the abundance of ads; it's wild that phones are so susceptible. I made him unlink all info just in case.

I know you have to allow permissions on androids but is that level of intrusion even allowed on ios? Could an app theoretically alter your lock screen and place notifications outside of jailbreaking?

RuGalz

Good to know. Have you tried installing a third party dialer and setting it as a default to see if the problem is related only to the Huawei stock dialer?

It is probably a problem with Huawei's dialer from various symptoms and how various aspects of the "skin" work together. Google's is listed incompatible from the store but I haven't tried side loading it -- really don't like to deal with side load and custom rom any more. Not sure what other dialer I am willing to trust so no I haven't tried any other ones.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
C4w84IaWEAEKXi9.jpg

Jeffrey

Wait the finger print sensor is on the front? Is that the plus or not plus lol.

My excitement for new iPhone will depend on iOS 11 more than hardware.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
That's the P10, not the plus.

And the Mate 9 is 600 US, so if it comes to the US (probably 2 months later), I kinda expect the same pricing?

this_guy

It is probably a problem with Huawei's dialer from various symptoms and how various aspects of the "skin" work together. Google's is listed incompatible from the store but I haven't tried side loading it -- really don't like to deal with side load and custom rom any more. Not sure what other dialer I am willing to trust so no I haven't tried any other ones.

Asus has a dialer in the Play Store. They're at least a reputable company so I wouldn't think they would do something unscrupulous with your contacts. If it was me I would at least give that a shot. I haven't done custom roms in years and don't think that's necessary any more.

Does anyone know of an app that will take notifications and turn them into toast or popups?

Specifically, I want Google Music toast/notification to pop up when tracks change.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
That's the P10, not the plus.

And the Mate 9 is 600 US, so if it comes to the US (probably 2 months later), I kinda expect the same pricing?

The P10 has the QHD screen right, and the regular non pro Mate 9 is 1080p?

So if the pricing is the same why get a Mate 9?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I think the P10 is 1080p plus is 2k.

That GSMArena link posted a few posts back says...

the P10 and P10 Plus are set to be identical in terms of specs.

Both of them should have a 5.5-inch QHD panel, the Kirin 960 chipset, 4 or 6GB of RAM and 32 / 64 / 128GB of storage (depending on model), and an 8 MP selfie camera. They will run Android 7.0 Nougat from day one, with Huawei's EMUI 5.0 on

Granted that makes no fucking sense cause what the fuck makes it a Plus version then.

Too many gosh damn phones these days with too many overlapping specs/features from the same companies.

vdlow

Mr.Shrugglesツ;230421898 said:
Does anyone know of an app that will take notifications and turn them into toast or popups?

Specifically, I want Google Music toast/notification to pop up when tracks change.
Try Floatify, maybe it's the one you need.

RuGalz

Asus has a dialer in the Play Store. They're at least a reputable company so I wouldn't think they would do something unscrupulous with your contacts. If it was me I would at least give that a shot. I haven't done custom roms in years and don't think that's necessary any more.

Thanks I'll give it a try if I run into it again. Will wait another 6 months, maybe, for them to fix issues first lol. Or maybe another worthwhile phone will be released before it's fixed.

Jeffrey

Huh. Was planning on getting a S7 Edge next week off swappa but I guess I'll fall back on that. Sucks that I have to pick between a Pixel and a iPhone.
For what it's worth it seems easy enough to flash another regions version on it.

Wonder how much it's gonna cost. It's basically a mate 9 with a higher res screen.

With honor being the budget brand... Gonna be weird if this is $600+

Quick

Banned
Anyone here own a Kobo Arc 10HD, or at least familiar with it?

I haven't owned an Android device long enough to really play with it, and was wondering if this tablet was something that can still be usable in some capacity.

Even better, what's the process in upgrading the Android OS to the current one? I understand that the Android OS is device-specific by default, but is there a way to unofficially install it on this tablet?

kobo-arc-10hd-full-1.jpg

10-inch display
2GB memory
Nvidia Tegra 4 processor
Nvidia Tegra 72 Cores GPU
16GB storage
Android 4.1.1

Jeffrey

Going down this rabbit hole of looking at used pixel. Except I forget no warranty. And it seems like they have qc issues.

Guess I'll stick with the mate until maybe one plus 4

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
South Korea is a country where corruption is explained by culture, tradition, and historic. It's disgusting. But then again, we're only beginning to see just how corrupt the USA is, too. Although it's a different kind of corrupt.

Jeffrey

Yeah. Hate the bezels of the pixel but the benefits of thickness should = good drop protection if you don't hit the glass.

South Korea is a country where corruption is explained by culture, tradition, and historic. It's disgusting. But then again, we're only beginning to see just how corrupt the USA is, too. Although it's a different kind of corrupt.
I mean. America has lobbies and donations. Money is key regardless of culture.

Anyways. It's been a few hours without a new Huawei leak!

Surprised no leaks for the watch yet.

TTOOLL

Just got a Gear Fit 2, anybody else with one here? Despite the lack of apps, which doesn't bother me, the device is great for notifications and exercises. I just came back from a run without the phone and it's amazing. Totally recommended!

Huawei more confusing than Motorola.

This. I'm so confused with all the leaks. I'm beyond confused. I just gave up today, I don't care. In a week I'll know what to count on.

But the worst part about seeing all the leaks? It's that I don't know what we are providing in the P10 that's gonna make us go to the next level.

There's no Leica/blurring photos/monochrome ace card this time, it's been used and isn't as exclusive or "groundbreaking" now with a lot of cameras catching up and going dual-lens. There's no bezelless phone, something eye catching. Design is very much similar actually to the P9.

We only have the "faster, more storage" thing going on. It's like a P9S year. I even thought after the Mate 9's 12+20MP camera they were gonna go with an awesome 20+20MP choice or something like that but apparently no it's 12+12 still.

It seems like a mild upgrade from the P9. If you're in the states that's fine there's no precedent there, but in Europe with P9 already here it feels like a gap year. With Samsung going bezelless and Apple supposedly blowing up everything with the iPhone 8 too, I feel like I'm gonna struggle selling these like I struggle now to sell P9.

And even from my costumer point of view, I maintain what I said. I feel slightly disappointed if the P10 is just what the leaks have shown.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Anyone here own a Kobo Arc 10HD, or at least familiar with it?

I haven't owned an Android device long enough to really play with it, and was wondering if this tablet was something that can still be usable in some capacity.

Even better, what's the process in upgrading the Android OS to the current one? I understand that the Android OS is device-specific by default, but is there a way to unofficially install it on this tablet?

10-inch display
2GB memory
Nvidia Tegra 4 processor
Nvidia Tegra 72 Cores GPU
16GB storage
Android 4.1.1

Don't have one but browsing XDA it's not looking too promising to get this on a current Android version.

Jeffrey

This. I'm so confused with all the leaks. I'm beyond confused. I just gave up today, I don't care. In a week I'll know what to count on.

But the worst part about seeing all the leaks? It's that I don't know what we are providing in the P10 that's gonna make us go to the next level.

There's no Leica/blurring photos/monochrome ace card this time, it's been used and isn't as exclusive or "groundbreaking" now with a lot of cameras catching up and going dual-lens. There's no bezelless phone, something eye catching. Design is very much similar actually to the P9.

We only have the "faster, more storage" thing going on. It's like a P9S year. I even thought after the Mate 9's 12+20MP camera they were gonna go with an awesome 20+20MP choice or something like that but apparently no it's 12+12 still.

It seems like a mild upgrade from the P9. If you're in the states that's fine there's no precedent there, but in Europe with P9 already here it feels like a gap year. With Samsung going bezelless and Apple supposedly blowing up everything with the iPhone 8 too, I feel like I'm gonna struggle selling these like I struggle now to sell P9.

And even from my costumer point of view, I maintain what I said. I feel slightly disappointed if the P10 is just what the leaks have shown.

yeah... mate 9 was the big upgrade this year with the camera and more ram. Heck the kirin 960 is barely better than 950/5 if you don't care about 3d gaming.

The question is what is the big difference between the mate 9 pro vs p10 plus. Seems like specs are really similar besides mate 9 pro having a larger battery?

Hope this is all explained lol

Just got a Gear Fit 2, anybody else with one here? Despite the lack of apps, which doesn't bother me, the device is great for notifications and exercises. I just came back from a run without the phone and it's amazing. Totally recommended!

it's pretty great. like the music controls too.

Top Bottom