• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Of Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft; which would the industry miss the least?

rdrr gnr

I think the fact that they're important doesnt make them "classic" tho

I think a lot of people would be ok with the concept of Uncharted and God of War being done and replaced with something else
I would be okay with there never being another 2D Super Mario game. That doesn't mean Mario isn't a classic. They are most definitely classics -- maybe not now but as time passes.

Roto13

This is largely because they don't have as much history as the other two, but definitely Microsoft. By a wide margin.

Shinta

Banned
Microsoft can fuck off.

I actually really loved the original Xbox. And I got a 360 years before a PS3, because of Ninja Gaiden 2 and Oblivion. I used to be a really big Microsoft fan.

But they took my good will and turned it to ash. Where I once held feelings of fondness for their consoles, now it's just an empty space with Xbox live price hikes, advertising, Kinect, and a never-ending stream of first person shooters. They have utterly, completely abandoned my demographic, whatever it is. This isn't even touching the toxic nextbox rumors.

Sony has just been doing everything that I want to see for at least 3 years now. PS4 looks set to continue that.

Nintendo is still my choice for best developer in the world, and I will be getting a Wii U eventually.

That about sums up why I agree with you completely.

Grinchy

Banned
Microsoft for me too. They really have very little they can call their own in the industry. The most unique thing they've created is Kinect, which is complete garbage and shouldn't exist anyway. Nintendo and Sony are creators, whether or not you like what they are creating.

Jamix012

I feel like Nintendo would be missed the most. For a while all the doom-sayers would be happy and go on a merry "told you so" rampage across the vast seas of the internet. This would be followed by a quieter, but still happy, moment of reflection and self satisfaction. Eventually though they'd question themselves and soon fall into the realm of insanity and instability. Maybe they were the doomed ones all along.

I'm going to get a lot of shit for this, but for me personally it would be Nintendo. The only reason I say that is that I honestly could never get into most of Nintendo's major IPs. They are amazing games, they just aren't for me. Speaking for the rest of the'industry' as an I think it would be Microsoft though. While I like their consoles I disagree with things like paying for online play, their rewards programs, lack of new blockbuster internal IPs, and more.

Don't hate me.

Nintendo. Losing Mario and Zelda wouldn't be a big deal except to the faithful, which is a group that's getting smaller and smaller. Neither would losing whatever gimmick they come up with for their next consoles.

Microsoft has at least brought a lot of online elements to consoles, made it more social. Would Sony have ever tried to get PSN up to speed if Xbox Live didn't exist? Probably not. And as for Sony, they've brought a lot of great games, including new IPs, and of course their hardware is usually top notch.

This, too. Third party situation is terrible and has been for decades now (man I'm getting old) so they wouldn't be losing much revenue at all. Some of them don't even support the platform anymore (EA).

Wait, only the faithful care about Mario amd Zelda? I guess we should throw out Microsoft sincr not only does it sell far less than Marios last gen but outside of the faithful nobody cares about it. Same with GT, umcharted, etc.

I'd say Microsoft. The biggest thing they brought to the table was their online system, one that has since become semi-standardized. Sony and Nintendo, on the other hand, are still making strides on both the software and hardware sides.

This may be premature of course, as we haven't yet seen the Durango.

Easy - MS.

Nintendo is iconic and has and a lot of IP with a tremendous amount of cache. Do we need Nintendo systems? Probably not. Do we need Nintendo games? Without a doubt. Seeing them dissapear would be unthinkable to most who've been gaming for any amount of time over the last several decades.

Sony is also tremendously iconic, though more for their hardware. They're a brand that holds up in just about every market, and it would be crazy to see them gone. Their IPs are of questionable strength but given the importance of the platform to Japanese developers, I would think their loss would be keenly felt throughout the gaming world.

MS is still a relative newcomer to the scene. They've blown up in a way no one would have imagined over the last generation, but such growth is also largely in North America. The brand continued to hold no weight in Japan, and probably never will, and outside the UK, Europe is certainly playstation centric. MS has a few iconic IPs, but some are beginning to get long in the tooth, and maybe only Halo will continue with significance.

On the balance, MS is the loser here. They're important in a North American context and have had a serious impact over the last decade, but I'm not sure they offer anything worldwide that Nintendo and Sony wouldn't pick up were they gone.

zroid

Banned
Hard to answer this question without coming across as a fanboy/hater, but it has to be Microsoft...

The strides they took in network infrastructure and such are certainly worth lauding, however. In truth, all three companies have found their niches, so they'd all be missed a great deal. But overall Sony and Microsoft cross over the most, and Sony is doing far more for software development than Microsoft.

General public? Hard to say, but I would probably say MS if it was just the industry. Not because they are bad or anything, but Sony and MS are pretty similar in the grand scheme of things, but the key difference is the random and exclusive games Sony has more of, or takes more chances with and support.

Mr. Fix

Easy - MS.

Nintendo is iconic and has and a lot of IP with a tremendous amount of cache. Do we need Nintendo systems? Probably not. Do we need Nintendo games? Without a doubt. Seeing them dissapear would be unthinkable to most who've been gaming for any amount of time over the last several decades.

Sony is also tremendously iconic, though more for their hardware. They're a brand that holds up in just about every market, and it would be crazy to see them gone. Their IPs are of questionable strength but given the importance of the platform to Japanese developers, I would think their loss would be keenly felt throughout the gaming world.

MS is still a relative newcomer to the scene. They've blown up in a way no one would have imagined over the last generation, but such growth is also largely in North America. The brand continued to hold no weight in Japan, and probably never will, and outside the UK, Europe is certainly playstation centric. MS has a few iconic IPs, but some are beginning to get long in the tooth, and maybe only Halo will continue with significance.

On the balance, MS is the loser here. They're important in a North American context and have had a serious impact over the last decade, but I'm not sure they offer anything worldwide that Nintendo and Sony wouldn't pick up were they gone.

Nailed it. Especially the bit on sony's IPs.

ultim8p00

Banned
It's hard to find reasons why Sony and Nintendo will not be missed. Microsoft is the youngest to the console space, and not nearly as established as the other two. They'd be missed the least, naturally.

C4Lukins

Well if it is framed as hardware and publishing then obviously MS. If we are simply talking hardware, probably Nintendo, because they could potentially do just as well being a third party company. MS and Sony probably are much more important to the industry because they help make money for a lot of companies other than just themselves.

Replicant

Just waiting until the Xbox Fanboys wake up.

Isn't it past the bedtime for Americans?
nK5CSTh.png

EDIT: damn, beaten by Persona86!

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Microsoft. The only one I personally am dropping like a bad habit next gen, will stick with just Sony and Nintendo this time around

jWILL253

Banned
Microsoft. For as much as our own state economy depends on them, I've just never been able to really get with whatever they put out. When it comes to computers, I prefer Apple. When it comes to music players, lol Zune. When it comes to hardcore gaming, I prefer Sony. And even though I haven't purchased a Nintendo console since the Gamecube, I still hold a nostalgic spot for them in my heart.

But yeah... I wouldn't shed a single tear over Microsoft's demise...

Sony.

Every since it came to light with the PlayStation, console gaming became more and more graphics and "mature" oriented and the direction Sony chose to follow had great amount of impact in this change. They made great games without a shadow of doubt, but I don't like their legacy over the gaming world now.

IMO, a gaming world without Sony would rely more on gameplay rather than tech and content.

DaBoss

I would say MS, though reading that one post earlier saying the 360 did more to the industry than the PS1/2 (and I would include the GC and OG Xbox to that list) is true, but despite that, MS is severely lacking in the games department, so with that in mind, MS would be the missed the least.

America is sleeping now *cough*

Damn son.

I actually really loved the original Xbox. And I got a 360 years before a PS3, because of Ninja Gaiden 2 and Oblivion. I used to be a really big Microsoft fan.

But they took my good will and turned it to ash. Where I once held feelings of fondness for their consoles, now it's just an empty space with Xbox live price hikes, advertising, Kinect, and a never-ending stream of first person shooters. They have utterly, completely abandoned my demographic, whatever it is. This isn't even touching the toxic nextbox rumors.

Sony has just been doing everything that I want to see for at least 3 years now. PS4 looks set to continue that.

Nintendo is still my choice for best developer in the world, and I will be getting a Wii U eventually.

That about sums up why I agree with you completely.

I already have a Wii U but I pretty much agree with what you said. Was a big Xbox gamer since the original and up to this day, but I'm really worried about the focus away from games that they're taking.

If the rumors about the next Xbox are true, I will drop it like a ton of bricks. I'm already getting the PS4 and I love the attention on games that they've always strived for. I will miss Halo dearly, but I can't support a company like that.

Codeblue

Nintendo. Their best is behind them and the industry already ignores them.

The strongest case that can be made for Nintendo is that diversity is good. Removing them for the equation and keeping two companies that offer experiences so similar that they were referred to as "twins" for the generation wouldn't really offer much.

Microsoft for me too. They really have very little they can call their own in the industry. The most unique thing they've created is Kinect, which is complete garbage and shouldn't exist anyway. Nintendo and Sony are creators, whether or not you like what they are creating.

This isn't true. These consoles wouldn't have anywhere near the level of online features and connectivity if not for Microsoft pushing Xbox Live so hard, basically bringing lots of PC online features to consoles. That was a huge contribution to the console market. Losing Nintendo would hurt Nintendo. Third parties are almost non-existent on their platform, so the overall industry impact, which is what the OP asks, would be minimal.

IrishNinja

Nintendo. Losing Mario and Zelda wouldn't be a big deal except to the faithful, which is a group that's getting smaller and smaller.

but the MS faithful is like you and one other guy on here
for real though: they're not doing anything innovative with online features as far as we can see, unless you consider always on as such

nintendo's loss would be tremendous as far as influence, for one.

kadotsu

Banned
In the FASA, Ensemble, Bungie and Anvil days I would've been very sad to see Microsoft go but now we have companies, like Zynga, to continue development utilizing their current development DNA.

Risette

A Good Citizen
This isn't true. These consoles wouldn't have anywhere near the level of online features and connectivity if not for Microsoft pushing Xbox Live so hard, basically bringing lots of PC online features to consoles. That was a huge contribution to the console market. Losing Nintendo would hurt Nintendo. Third parties are almost non-existent on their platform, so the overall industry impact, which is what the OP asks, would be minimal.
So? Xbox Live's impact has already been made. Microsoft isn't needed anymore. The thread is about who would be missed the least.

Yea the 360 probably did more gaming than the ps2 and ps1 ever did.

I think without xbox live psn and the wii u's network would be in even worse shapes.

That is not to say Xbox live is perfect it still needs alot to catch up to pc multiplayer.

Competitive shooter lovers would miss microsoft the most.

Wut? The PS1 and PS2 made gaming mainstream and PS2 expanded the audience to include casuals. The PS1 and PS2 did more for gaming than any other console ever, especially for the PS2.

breakfuss

I would cry -- literally cry -- if Nintendo ceased to exist. It's a passion for them. Sony would just continue on making toasters. Microsoft has other interests as well. But, Nintendo, this is WHAT THEY DO. They made this industry.

Top Bottom