• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Miyamoto teases "new franchise" for 2014

KrawlMan

Hope it's "new" like Pikmin was and not like Wii Fit/Music.

I'm not remotely optimistic about this at the moment. Miyamoto's decisions are really hit or miss. I'm happy with things hes done in the past, but decisions like adding blowing to Donkey Kong and thinking it was fun or beneficial at all just seems clueless.

AGoodODST

Well colour me excited.

I wonder what it could be. I remember reading an interview a couple of years ago where Miyamoto was talking about how he found a first person perspective really interesting. I wonder if it could be something in that vein.

spliced

Miyamoto from the Gameinformer interview:
So the thing about Pikmin is that the style of play is actually sort of like cooking. If you think of cooking, cooking is a process and in that process you're simultaneously doing different things. You're working on this set of ingredients while you're cooking that and then over here you've gotta start preparing the next thing

Cooking game confirmed.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Wii Wiil Rock U.

Nah, I'm thinking it's actually something cool!

Yonafunu

I for one am excited.
The timing and wording makes me hopeful it's going to be an actual new IP, the new Pikmin, so to speak.

I hope

MrT-Tar

I still haven't played his last new IP, Steel Diver; I heard very mixed views regarding it. Maybe I'll try it when it goes F2P.

Out of all my favourite genres, Nintendo has many installments in all apart from a 'traditional' (ie not SSB) fighter. So I would really like either that, or something new and unpredictable.

cacildo

What we want: a nintendo spin on modern gaming, something that takes everything that´s wrong on the PS3 and Xbox games and just magically makes it right

What we will get: Some sort of party game that looks pretty stupid at first but will be a blast to play with friends (but we will always want the Modern Nintendo Shooter)

AGoodODST

American Football..

ooooh...

Miyamoto wanted Ocarina of Time to be first person.

Yeah, this wasn't that long ago though. Someone was asking about his thoughts on FPS becoming super popular or something like that, and he said while didn't want to make a shooting game, a first person perspective was interesting to him.

EDIT: I think this is what I am remembering.

Now, the legendary designer wants to move the players themselves to the focal point of the action by using his expertise to craft a first-person shooter

"Rather than necessarily the question of 'What kind of weapon do I have?' ... I think that the structure of a first-person shooter is something that's very interesting," he says. "Having that 3D space that in theory you are in and being able to look around and explore that-particularly being able to do that in conjunction with another person-is very interesting."

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117898-Shigeru-Miyamoto-Wants-to-Make-an-FPS

Lunar15

Upending Tea Tables U

Is a project in your company going smoothly? Do you need to inject a really stupid idea into development? With "Upending Tea Tables U", you can literally flip your Wii U game pad whenever you want to halt development of an upcoming game in order to mandate your really dumb advice to the team.

They're writing a story for Paper Mario? Upend the table!

Changing the graphics and music for New Super Mario Bros? Upend the table!

Donkey Kong Country's controls don't use waggle? Upend the table!

Because games don't have the Nintendo charm until they have the touch of an auteur.

Darryl

Banned
has miyamoto been talking about any new hobbies in his recent interviews? there's gotta be some hints sittin' around here, hidden in plain sight.

Miyamoto from the Gameinformer interview:

Cooking game confirmed.

oh i see. yea i'd be ok with this.

honestly though, i think it's probably a more core title. miyamoto is probably gonna help design the main characters and that is it, dude is too old for anything else.

jmls1121

Banned
What is his hobby right now? LOL

Its in his contract that he is not allowed to talk about his hobbies to the press.

My guess? Something along the lines of Minecraft or a "build your own world" concept.

Shiggy gets his fix of AAA development from Mario and Zelda, I don't think we will see anything like that

Hopefully its as good as Wii Music.

Really hope the internet at some point stops thinking that sounding bitter and cynical is 'cool'.

The man brought you some of the most important IPs in gaming and you think it's a good idea to shit on his work because one of his passion projects sucked.

Shame on you.

Hopefully its as good as Wii Music.

image.php

Glass Rebel

I'm actually the opposite. Though I'd be more than happy with a more traditional game, it's the disruptive/unexpected that is more exciting.

Well, if he's working on something that shows the strengths of the pad that would be cool as well.

After Pikmin, I would love Myamoto to be working on another ode to nature, with these E3 assets/Wii U demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4SGjPLV5mw

I would be very okay with a Japanese setting.

He has been teasing this game for like 3 years :(

Anyways, if I had to guess, I would say something taking advantage of NFC.

Yeah, it is becoming ridiculous. each year, Miyamoto say his new franchise come next year.
Now we well see, I don't really believe him anymore.

zruben

Banned
I'm sure most gaffer will hate it to death; and it's going to be one of those new IP's that "doesn't count" whenever someone bring it up on a nintendo discussion.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Really hope the internet at some point stops thinking that sounding bitter and cynical is 'cool'.

The man brought you some of the most important IPs in gaming and you think it's a good idea to shit on his work because one of his passion projects sucked.

Shame on you.

To be fair, isn't Wii Music the last new IP idea he has acted on in the past handful of years? Sure he brought us amazing franchises, but it's been quite a while.

Lunar15

It's really depressing me how much this man has become a punchline.

You want to get excited, but there's just no reason.

Top Bottom