• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

EYEL1NER

GW board game license emerges at WizKids.

https://wizkids.com/2017/10/19/wizkids-announces-new-partnership-with-games-workshop/

I mean, ok? I have next to no opinion of WizKids as a board game maker. I know people like a few of their products but I also know there have been production issues as well. I'm sure someone will chime in with opinions based on actual experiences.

Release talks about dice building so I guess we are getting WH Dice Masters at some point? Seems more likely than a boxed Quarriors-based game.
So Devil Pig Games is doing a version of Heroes of Normandie set in the 40K universe, WizKids is doing either a Dice Masters or Quarriors game set in the 40K universe and then who knows what else (40K Mage Knight, maybe?)...
Wonder who else they are gonna partner up with and what else we'll see.

GW board game license emerges at WizKids.

https://wizkids.com/2017/10/19/wizkids-announces-new-partnership-with-games-workshop/

I mean, ok? I have next to no opinion of WizKids as a board game maker. I know people like a few of their products but I also know there have been production issues as well. I'm sure someone will chime in with opinions based on actual experiences.

Release talks about dice building so I guess we are getting WH Dice Masters at some point? Seems more likely than a boxed Quarriors-based game.

It's hard to say with Wizkids, they put out quite a variety of products so what this deal really means is going to be interesting to see. If it's just them slapping warhammer stuff into their other games, then meh.

They typically seem to have been against miniature games by other companies, so I doubt they will do anything clix related or with full figure minis

Wiz Kids prepainted D&D minis are really nice.

They wont be doing Warhammer minis. The deal is apparently dice/board game focused, similar to what they did with FFG. Notice on their Warhammer games they didn't do full figure miniatures, like in Relic they used character busts for game pieces. They aren't gonna have minis to compete with their own product.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
They wont be doing Warhammer minis. The deal is apparently dice/board game focused, similar to what they did with FFG. Notice on their Warhammer games they didn't do full figure miniatures, like in Relic they used character busts for game pieces. They aren't gonna have minis to compete with their own product.

Gotcha. Curious if they can come up with some good games.

Li Kao

I wonder if there are some shared copyrights on some elements of Fury of Dracula rules or if there is a possibility it will be republished by Wizz Kids in some years time.

Faiz

Yeah definitely. I think Chaos in the Old World came closest with waist-up busts (even had arms) but GW does their own mini-based board games.

I thought it was interesting the release doesn't mention card games. Makes me wonder if that will turn up elsewhere just like the RPG license did.

I wonder if there are some shared copyrights on some elements of Fury of Dracula rules or if there is a possibility it will be republished by Wizz Kids in some years time.

Another company is doing a rerelease of Talisman. I think GW is signing multiple licenses per game bases and not giving anyone exclusivity to anything. The Wizkids deal looks to be a bit bigger with possibly multiple tie ins and games, most likely focused on Warhammer stuff. Fury of Dracula might be a separate product they will license off

It seems they are basically doing like they have done with their video games, licensing off their IP's to anyone who wants them, and not giving anyone exclusive rights. The amount of Warhammer themed video games is almost absurd, and sadly many have been kinda crappy.

Faiz

Another company is doing a rerelease of Talisman. I think GW is signing multiple licenses per game bases and not giving anyone exclusivity to anything. The Wizkids deal looks to be a bit bigger with possibly multiple tie ins and games, most likely focused on Warhammer stuff. Fury of Dracula might be a separate product they will license off

Actually the release on WizKids page specifically says they will reissue Fury of Dracula, Relic, and "other classic board games".

Anyone's guess I suppose on what their version of Fury looks like. I imagine it won't hold a candle to FFG's.

Actually the release on WizKids page specifically says they will reissue Fury of Dracula, Relic, and "other classic board games".

Anyone's guess I suppose on what their version of Fury looks like. I imagine it won't hold a candle to FFG's.

Ow, I kinda wonder how that will work out, Wizkids board game quality is a bit iffy compared to the FFG stuff.

EYEL1NER

lol, a WizKids Fury of Dracula? Glad I got my 3E copy when I did, because I can't imagine a WizKids version being good, even if they try to strike a deal with FFG for the rules (that is a possibility, no? FFG licensed their Flightpath system to WizKids for Star Trek and D&D Attack Wing).

Faiz

lol, a WizKids Fury of Dracula? Glad I got my 3E copy when I did, because I can't imagine a WizKids version being good, even if they try to strike a deal with FFG for the rules (that is a possibility, no? FFG licensed their Flightpath system to WizKids for Star Trek and D&D Attack Wing).

Who knows. I couldn't even begin to speculate what the legal status of the rule set even is. I mean, yeah, it's possible, regardless of who owns the rule set(s), WizKids could license any of them. Depends on so many factors. They could go all the way back to GW's classic rule set, and to be honest I have absolutely no idea what the differences are in ruleset between the editions.

But likewise, yeah, more thankful than ever I got my copy of 3rd ed. Nico recounting the Mage Knight expansion fiasco makes the whole prospect pretty distasteful.

Lyng

Not to pile on too much but yeah NPI is definitely not my taste. Way too 'hey look we're wacky board-game geeks!' for me but I'm sure that appeals to some. I hadn't noticed the drop-off in SUSD but I haven't really been that interested in the games they've been reviewing recently for their videos. They just seem mostly really boring?

Well they just did a review on Marco Polo where they basically said it brought nothing new and was a dry euro...whereafter they said you should get concordia instead because its easier to play...Wait what?!

They seem to go more and more down the Tom Vasel route of games needing to be all about theme and experiences rather than actual sound mechanics.
Its all fine and dandy and they are welcome to their opinions, they just go further and further away from mine.
(btw not saying Concordia is bad, far from it, just seems weird to slant the one and then praise the other)

Blizzard

Banned
Innovation super ultra incredible deluxe boxed edition just shipped. It had better be amazing or I'm holding you all responsible! :p
Instant review after receiving it:

• The box looks nice and shiny.
  • But, the box lid is very thin cardboard and would bend very easily.
  • Besides the rules and some post-card-sized references, this game including all the expansions could have fit in a box a third of the size.

Hopefully the game is better than the box. :p

betapeter

Neo Member
Why would they drop Fantasy Flight Games for Wizkids? I wonder if FFG wanted unfavourable new contract terms or vice versa.
I remember when it broke that they were parting ways , and there was a big bum rush on all their games Haha, I assumed GW were going into board games for themselves but I guess not...

Bii

Man, I still have Fury of Dracula sealed. I thought my group would love Letters from Whitechapel, a game I wanted to introduce before tackling Fury of Dracula, but I was only able to get Whitechapel to the table a few times.

Why would they drop Fantasy Flight Games for Wizkids? I wonder if FFG wanted unfavourable new contract terms or vice versa.
I remember when it broke that they were parting ways , and there was a big bum rush on all their games Haha, I assumed GW were going into board games for themselves but I guess not...

FFG likely didn't want to renew or pay whatever the renewal would have been for exclusivity that they had previously. We really don't know what happened though.

Well they just did a review on Marco Polo where they basically said it brought nothing new and was a dry euro...whereafter they said you should get concordia instead because its easier to play...Wait what?!

They argued that Concordia while also being a very good euro, the game itself is very smooth. I agree, Concordia is very very smooth, rules are tiny while offering a lot of depth.

Marco Polo brings nothing new to the table, it's a good point salad euro game, but like they said, that's been done a million times already.

XShagrath

I must be the only person here who actually likes Marco Polo. I've only played it once, but I found it very enjoyable, and different enough from my other dice worker placement games to earn a permanent (for now) place on my shelf.

I must be the only person here who actually likes Marco Polo. I've only played it once, but I found it very enjoyable, and different enough from my other dice worker placement games to earn a permanent (for now) place on my shelf.

It's a good game for sure, I think the question is more like. Why not just troyes, or concordia or any other classic.

Taborcarn

I love Marco Polo, it's one of my favorites. But most of my plays have been online on yucata.de

XShagrath

It's a good game for sure, I think the question is more like. Why not just troyes, or concordia or any other classic.

It's been a number of years since I've played Troyes, but from what I remember, they play fairly differently. I haven't played Concordia, as it was OOP for quite a while. I might look into picking it up at some point.

$255 for 7th continent with everyhing including the bgg promo cards. See no reason to sleeve some of the cards and not all of them since it would bother my ocd and I don't want to spend another $80 to spend half a day sleeving cards.

EYEL1NER

Man, I still have Fury of Dracula sealed. I thought my group would love Letters from Whitechapel, a game I wanted to introduce before tackling Fury of Dracula, but I was only able to get Whitechapel to the table a few times.
I got Fury of Dracula to the table once, back in the spring or early summer. The people I played with hated the combat and felt like they were severely underpowered. I was like "Umm, yeah? That's why I read that teaching script I found before we started, where it talked about how you guys needed to gang up on me. Getting into solo combat with me isn't going to do you any favors." I had killed Mina once I guess during that game. I actually lost because I made a rules violation and crossed the wrong route, then immediatly accidentally did the exact same thing a turn or two later on the same route! Haven't been able to get it to the table since, but a guy who wasn't there that night really wants to try it at some point.

A few months ago I got Whitechapel when the new printing appeared in stock everywhere. I haven't been able to try it yet though. Some parts of the rules confuse me and the group numbers and interests of people lately haven't matched up.

mmm
i went for 1 dollar now and go for all in in pledge manager if I can justify my enthusiasm via print and play.. plus authors get full money this way, so this is a win win
it should be still possible right?

Blizzard

Banned
Instant review after receiving it:

• The box looks nice and shiny.
  • But, the box lid is very thin cardboard and would bend very easily.
  • Besides the rules and some post-card-sized references, this game including all the expansions could have fit in a box a third of the size.

Hopefully the game is better than the box. :p
To their credit, I just looked at the rulebook and it appears this was at least partially by design. They mention that if you want to sleeve the cards, you can turn the box insert upside down and there should be room for all cards sleeved while the big rulebook still fits on top.

zulux21

mmm
i went for 1 dollar now and go for all in in pledge manager if I can justify my enthusiasm via print and play.. plus authors get full money this way, so this is a win win
it should be still possible right?
If you are talking seventh continents then it sounds like the pledge manager will only support increasing to get the base game and maybe the expansion the campaign is for... There faq makes it sound like nothing else will be available.

KJ869

GW is doing on boardgame side same thign they did videogames, no more exclusive products just lisenses everywhere. Asmondee was releasing miniatures line in direct competition of GW figures so it made no sense to continue. Also wizkids now and few year back are very different entities if you look at whose running them. 2016 Zev Slashinger better known for his Zman Games joined them to run theyre boardgames division.

If you are talking seventh continents then it sounds like the pledge manager will only support increasing to get the base game and maybe the expansion the campaign is for... There faq makes it sound like nothing else will be available.

I will be supprised if that ends up as reality. Im pretty sure its so people just dont buy addons whitout frist buying eithr of the base pledges.. But we shall see

Blizzard

Banned
Don't worry, everyone. I dove on a grenade for you to test Tortuga 1667 in 2-player mode!

I thought it was "interesting" and won. She thought it was "terrible" and "hated it". So there's your consensus! :p

Ultimately I think the game is definitely better with 3-5 (and probably 3-7, though I haven't played with that many). I suspect that 8-9 may be a little too slow and chaotic, but who knows.

The game isn't terrible with 2 players in my opinion, and it becomes very much a logic game, but ultimately I feel like things still come down to too much randomness. If someone happens to draw a good shuffle on the final turn, or if someone gets good/bad luck with the random vote card, that can easily be the difference to immediately win the game. Some of the attack cards are also pretty nasty, like making the other player miss their next TWO votes or making them skip their next turn (TWO actions).

zulux21

they were talking about how due to the tight production schedule basically as soon as the campaign is done, they need to get all of the funds and send off everything to start getting created.

it was also mentioned that the pledge manager they are using might not support more than that.

fenners

Troyes, Troyes, Troyes... Got this to the table for the first time in years. So many tight decisions. So many "arrrrgh you fucked me up" moments. Beaten by 3 points. Love it.

Lyng

They argued that Concordia while also being a very good euro, the game itself is very smooth. I agree, Concordia is very very smooth, rules are tiny while offering a lot of depth.

Marco Polo brings nothing new to the table, it's a good point salad euro game, but like they said, that's been done a million times already.

Marco Polo brings gamebreaking playerpowers which is quiet new for a euro tbh.
But yes I agree its not that innovative, but neither is Concordia, and while its very smooth its also completely void of any innovation, and there are so many Euro's that are as easy to play as concordia while beeing equally if not more deep.

That beeing said I still enjoy the reviews with Paul and/or Quinns. Matt and his opinions annoy me to no end because, especially if you listen to the podcast, whenever they disagree his comments always boil down to: well I am right because stuff, and I will keep touting the same bs over and over again till you say I am right.

Anyway for something completely different. And some of you might remember I have been culling my collection. Ended up selling around 40 games, bringing my collection from 90 down to about 50 games. Sold all games that either I or my wife dont really care that much about. Since she is my main gamingpartner there was no reason for us to have games the other one didnt really enjoy.
Also sold games that never hit the table, so even one of my top 10 of all times got traded away, simply because I never have time for it, and my wife didnt like it.
We did buy a few new games aswell but will keep the collection around 50 tops.

Preorders:
Brass: Birmingham - Really like how they cleaned up the rules, added playerboards, made two player viable and the artwork and design is through the roof.
Montana - Fast to play + worker placement + very mean and in your face + area control + no victory points...Yeah we had to have it

On the way in the mail:
Inis - Blood Rage was one of the games we sold of. Even with more than two players, the game felt really stale after a few plays and the different cards didnt really offer new interesting ways to play. Inis seems to be what we want in this type of game. And alot of you guys have spoken very highly of it.

Ordered and played
Eldritch Horror - Completely random game. Absolutely not our kind of games. Some of the mysteries are so random and luck dependant that the game is basically all about luck and your decisions matter next to nothing. The story the game unfolds is so disjointed and random aswell, it was just a complete fail for us. Probably would categorize this as one of the most overrated games ever made. Already traded it away.

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition - Wow! Even though this is Ameritrash through and through we really love it. What a fantastic design. And the app integration is so nice. It removes all the fiddlyness of the rules and makes the whole experience fast and smooth. Also the description of every fight, where the app describes the monsters attacks in a narrative way is awsome and adds to a allready great experience. The puzzles are fun, the narrative is great, the stories are interesting. What an amazing game. This game fired every other story game for us. Instant top 5 of all time for me.

Whistle Stop - Guys! Just buy this game. Thank me later. Fantastic tile laying /route building game. This takes the basic concept of Tsuro and adds resource management and combo building. Fantastic game. Very easy to play but has a great deal of depth.

Also let me again say how criminally underrated Ginkgopolis is. We have been playing this alot lately and man this is such a great Euro. Very mean and tight, but also 100% fair since you allways know most of the cards that are in your opponents hand, due to you having to hand the rest of yours over after every turn and vice versa.
It plays in just under and hour with two and does what it does so much better than most other games of this kind.
If you can find it you really need to get this if you like tight, mean eurogames.

mclem

Lots of Asmodee Digital titles on sale on the Play store right now; any that people recommend as particularly effective in app form?

Edit: Titles on sale:
Twilight Struggle
Jaipur
Pandemic
Potion Explosion (which feels weird, given part of the appeal there is taking match-3 gameplay *off* screens!)
Mysterium
Splendor
Mr Jack Pocket
Colt Express
Small World 2
Mage the Ascension: Refuge
Abalone
Vampire: Prelude

Edit: Looks like Mage and Vampire are IF titles rather than boardgame adaptations?

Keasar

Anyone else who got the Upgrade Pack for Aoen's End with the War Eternal Kickstarter? I am trying to figure out what exactly I replace and what I keep from the original box.

Is the upgrade pack basically just all cards and I could sell/give away my original copy of Aeon's End and just cram the new cards into the War Eternal box?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
OK, I don't normally do this, but I saw this on Facebook and laughed pretty hard:

S1vp2MA.jpg

fenners

Also let me again say how criminally underrated Ginkgopolis is. We have been playing this alot lately and man this is such a great Euro. Very mean and tight, but also 100% fair since you allways know most of the cards that are in your opponents hand, due to you having to hand the rest of yours over after every turn and vice versa.
It plays in just under and hour with two and does what it does so much better than most other games of this kind.
If you can find it you really need to get this if you like tight, mean eurogames.

Ginkgopolis is awesome, but in the US it was published by Z-Man around the time when they decided to shrink their run size. It's relatively affordable to import from the EU, and it's essentially language independent, but it's just not had enough exposure on this side of the Atlantic. US copies regularly sell for $80-100 on BGG Marketplace, even though you should be able to buy a German or French import for ~$50 last time I looked.

Shotterke

they were talking about how due to the tight production schedule basically as soon as the campaign is done, they need to get all of the funds and send off everything to start getting created.

it was also mentioned that the pledge manager they are using might not support more than that.

I found this:
Is there going to be a PM where I can add expansions/add-ons/extra game copies later?
Yes, it will open in mid-to-late November.

How long will the PM stay open for?
About 4-6 weeks.

Will $1 get me into the PM?
Yes.

The PM update said if I pledge $1 I could only choose Rookie and Veteran in the PM. No add-ons?
Yes, there will be add-ons. All this means is that the Survivor pledge level will not be available in the PM.

What about the bundles? Will those be available?
The bundles are add-ons, so yes.

Source:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RRI798qmten1Cl6nj3Bx2rWC7kq0Vwa235imqaT_6dc/edit

Had a pretty fun game night last night! We pretty much exclusively played smaller games, and all but one was new to us. We ended up playing two playthroughs of just about each game, which was cool. First up we learned and played Kenjin, which was pretty interesting. In it everyone has the exact same cards in their hands, and you have to deploy these cards to randomly chosen battlefields that are set up in a way so that each player has access to 4. On your turn you place down two of your cards on some battlefields and then you pass to the next person. The interesting part is that most cards are placed face down, so no one knows what you are playing. There are a few that are placed face up, and they usually have special powers that let you peek at a face down card, or affect them in some way. This goes for 7 rounds, until all cards are deployed on the battlefields and then you flip over all the face down cards and see what their effects are, and whoever has the most power on their cards wins that battlefield. Whoever has them most points (usually gained from the battlefield, sometimes from cards) wins. It was really quick, and honestly I only expect it to get quicker once we are all familiar with the cards. The artwork was also really nice. Super colorful. I've noticed that Iello games tend to have really good, bright artwork. Overall it was a hit.

Next up we played Sushi Go Party! So, I'm sure everyone here has played this, seems to be a very common game. I got it for pretty cheap and I heard it was a pure drafting game, which excited me quite a bit. I've owned it for a few weeks now, so I was finally able to actually play it and get it to the table. Everyone really loved it, we only played with the "my first sushi go" set so it was pretty simple, but definitely fun. Looking forward to trying out different sets of cards and seeing how that changes everything up. I won the first game, but it was pretty close. Second game the player in first was WAY ahead of everyone else, but 2nd 3rd and 4th were all pretty neck and neck.

After this we played One Night Werewolf. Another game I'm sure most here have played, at least some version of. So, we actually played three rounds of this (it's so quick), and for the first two rounds I really thought the game was garbage. We only had 4 players, which I don't think is a good amount for this game overall, but we also played with the Troublemaker. She picks two roles to switch. Because of the low player count, this basically made the game gobbledygook. It was nonsense. There was practically no strategy at all, and both rounds we played with her it was essentially people just blindly guessing who was the werewolf and who wasn't. The third round we took her out and replaced her with the minion card, and I felt the game became a little bit more strategic and actually playable there. I like randomness in my games, but I also like there to be some sort of strategy involved. I still think overall for this sort of game I prefer The Resistance, but this is certainly quick and I imagine it'll be more fun with more players.

We then played Not Alone, which is the only game of the night we've played previously. It's been a big hit with everyone who has played it, and tonight was no different. Tonight was also the first night where I WASN'T the Hunter, so that was cool as well.

After that most people left and it was just me and my buddy. We played Hanamokoji for the first time, and man that game was GOOD. I liked it because it was quick, but you also had to really think. We ended the night with one round of Birdie Fight, another quick game that requires some serious thinking. Two good little brain burners.

Another thing I stumbled upon that I brought to this game night was a website called Melodice. You basically look up your game and someone has created a playlist of music to go along with it. There was a playlist on there for every game we played except for Birdie Fight, and they all definitely added to the mood. Pretty cool site, if you haven't heard of it definitely check it out!

Even after all those new games, me and my friend (us two are the ones who bring the games to these game nights) still have 10 games unplayed so far. We both agreed no more buying games till either we play these 10 games AT least once, or PAX Unplugged comes around. Whichever comes first. So we basically have a month to play 10 games, and Kingdom Death should be arriving any day. Wish us luck, because I don't think it's gonna happen.

Li Kao

Tonight is meet up day at the last club I tried. Really torn about going back.
On one hand, the clique vibe was gigantic, the few players that I interacted with were obnoxious and surely out of my league intellect-wise.
On the other hand I was irked early which could have colored my perception and every goddamn members can't be a ridiculously elitist asshole.

In other news...
- Surprised there is no mention of Chaos in the Old World being reprinted (rights issue?).

pic3613444.jpg

Yesterday was at home game night and...
- Bunny Kingdom was a really good time. Must be a fun 3-4 player game but it played good with two. And after the first few minutes/hours of learning, the game turns flow super fast.
- My first Magic the Gathering plays in many years felt overpowered on my side. The Jace Ixalan deck murdered the Huatli one. I have to try it to see if I have a hard time too or if it was the other player who is even newer to the game than me.

Li Kao

Bad wording on my side, I'm surprised (not really but manner of speaking) that there is no reprint planned with WizKid, at GW proper or elsewhere, that's unfortunately all. Fury of Dracula and Chaos in the Old World are the two FFG GW games that picked my curiosity.

Mmh, I could make it to FNM AND the game club, but my social anxiety is absolutely terrified of playing Magic with strangers. Not to mention I only have a base Ixalan deck. Is it strange to see a newb with a base deck in those events ?

zulux21

Anyone else who got the Upgrade Pack for Aoen's End with the War Eternal Kickstarter? I am trying to figure out what exactly I replace and what I keep from the original box.

Is the upgrade pack basically just all cards and I could sell/give away my original copy of Aeon's End and just cram the new cards into the War Eternal box?

I have not figured out what exactly is in the upgrade pack, just that there is a lot.

I am thinking almost all the cards you would want to mix with the new game from the base game are in there aside from maybe character sheets.

I should deal with that sometime.

Keasar

I have not figured out what exactly is in the upgrade pack, just that there is a lot.

I am thinking almost all the cards you would want to mix with the new game from the base game are in there aside from maybe character sheets.

I should deal with that sometime.

All I know is that this is all the printed game cards. Might be that I need to keep some special tokens etc. Gonna go through it all this weekend.

Top Bottom