• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me choose: Skyrim vs Witcher 3 vs Fallout: New Vegas

Budi

And a recommendation: For W3, play on hardest difficulty if you're good at action games. It starts out a bit rough but becomes easier a few hours in. After that, it's the only difficulty that's going to challenge you to really make use of the multiple layers in the game's combat and character building. That armor you bought at the store and straight up sword skills will carry you on any other difficulty. But on Death March, you need to pay attention :D
There's also enemy upscaling possibility if someone feels overleveled at some point.

.Combat for sure is serviceable. It isn't terrible like some GAF loves to yell from rooftops, bit it isn't amazing either. Same time you get quite overpowered quite fast so combat for majority of game isn't big deal.
Even at the end when you're super OP, the finishers still make the combat fun :)

The combat is great if you take the time to read the bestiary entries and actually employ the correct strategies for each enemy type. The problem is that you need to play the Witcher 3 combat like the Witcher 3, not other games. You can't roll endlessly like certain other games unless you want to ruin your stamina, you need to learn about the enemy you're fighting, their weaknesses, attack patterns, when to dodge vs when to roll, you need to use oils, signs, bombs, potions, etc.

At the end of the day it's not an Action RPG like a Souls game or Dragon's Dogma, it's a traditional RPG, but the Combat is still a lot of fun IMHO and an aspect I really enjoyed.

Witcher if you enjoyed the "choose your own adventure" books as a kid. You're basically playing a novel with little gameplay.

That's one weird definition of gameplay, if The Witcher III has little of it. That post will probably get the attention it seeks, but no one else should follow it as advice.

What sets TW3's quests, main or side, apart from most RPG's out there is that they all have uniquely written story even if gameplay loop doesn't change from quest to quest. It's on you as player to decide if you want to engage with the world of the game and those stories told in quests. If you don't give a shit then sure, they become chore and filler. If you engage and feel sucked in by the world then those side quests can be very interesting stories to experience.

For sure.

So I guess I'd ask OP what he wants from quests. Do you want quests that offer you a wide variety of interesting gameplay and role play options? Or do you want quests with better writing but repetitive and formulaic gameplay and role play?

RedSwirl

I can understand people who say Witcher 3's writing might have been better in the form of a visual novel or an adventure game, but that writing and world-building is pretty much what sets all three Witcher games apart from other RPGs. What's great in TW3 is that every little quest felt unique in some way, and a lot of them try to constantly surprise the player. Personally I wish the detective gameplay had been a little more challenging.

Tovarisc

New Vegas is the most interesting game out of the three and the best.

Nah, gameplay being so clunky lowers quality of experience. Engine also not doing it any favors. Easy 2nd spot after TW3 and Skyrim being at bottom as shares clunk of NV while has noticeably worse writing and quest design.

Gameplay wise witcher 3 is the worst. It has a great story and amazing world to explore but it is sooooo simple. Combat is basic. Not much to do with character building. Tons of quests boil down to following a glowing red line and killing the same monster over and over.

New Vegas is the best of the bunch, that has great role playing with quests that offer loads of cool ways to complete. The combat is as good as FO3. It's a great great game.

Look man, if you like Breath of the Wild and GTA 5 then Witcher 3 is a no brainer.

No not at all. In fact the total opposite. Witcher 3 has ZERO emergent gameplay. It's as static a world you will ever see. Enemies stick to a certain patch of land, never deviate from their specific scripts. You don't interact with the world in any meaningful way. You can't create gameplay situations it's all scripted.

No BOTW and GTA are far far more interesting with its gameplay.

Banned
Tried to create a LTTP thread for my journey into New Vegas, PC version but it didn't show. And when I tried to create a new thread this morning, I got an unauthorized access message. Anyway, here's what I wrote (sorry for hijacking again):
-----------

So, I felt bad about semi-hijacking another thread with this, but after the W3, Skyrim, or NV conversation that happened, I got an itch to replay NV. But I can't go back to the PS3 performance after playing so many games on PS4 that handle so well.

I decided to grab the vanilla PC version (I've already done some DLC on PS3), and give her a go. I've only installed the YUP mod, and will jump in tomorrow. I will say that I was surprised at the higher frame rate already, just being in the Doc's house. And when I opened the door, I couldn't believe I was in Goodsprings in 4 seconds or so. Looking forward to a new playthrough. Going heavy on Speech and Science. Will post updates occasionally, but I wanted folks to chime in about their overall NV experiences on PC. Don't care about spoilers, I've been through this ride before.

Top Bottom