• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NorCal wildfires still not contained, evacuations ordered - Santa Rosa/Sonoma/Napa

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date
Already have bags packed and in the car. We are ready to go and are glued to news coverage and the local fire department twitter. We are fortunate to have a lot of family near by in Orange County, but well away from the fire, so we have places we can go. Any advice on what else to pack? We've packed some changes of clothes, important paper work and supplies for our toddler. We have some small electronics packed. We also took pictures of everything important for insurance, just in case.

Sounds like you got it covered. From my experience, get the important stuff like you did. Papers, pictures, electronics. Once thing I wish I had gotten out had I known was TVs.. expensive things. But that might not be feasible.

One thing to check is maybe your computers? Like, where are all your photos being backed up? Take them, take the USB drives, or make sure your cloud backups are in sync. Stay safe and I hope things are under control sooner than later for your family and neighbors.

Houses west of Disneyland should be fine ya?

100% absolutely, they are miles and miles from the fires. Anaheim Hills is nowhere near Anaheim really. Anaheim Hills is probably 12 miles east of Disneyland in the north western tip of Orange County, tucked into the foothills.

Lots of million+ houses getting gutted. Nuts with the wind.

Not that the price of the homes makes it any worse really, but ya.. all of these homes burning now are probably all worth north of a million. As I'm typing this I just got an emergency alert on my phone... Mandatory Evacs now for Orange Park Acres, North Tustin, East Orange.

My father in-law just text me, they are .5 mile from the flames.

RPS37

South Santa Rosa checking in. No work today. My boss and co worker both lost their houses.
Glad you're alright, Jtwo!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
South Santa Rosa checking in. No work today. My boss and co worker both lost their houses.
Glad you're alright, Jtwo!

Thanks man. You too.

Christ. This is Hopper Avenue, Santa Rosa according to the tweet replies. Looking at it on google maps makes you realize just how much was lost :(

The breadth of the destruction has not sunk in for me yet. Its really crazy.

Keri

Sounds like you got it covered. From my experience, get the important stuff like you did. Papers, pictures, electronics. Once thing I wish I had gotten out had I known was TVs.. expensive things. But that might not be feasible.

One thing to check is maybe your computers? Like, where are all your photos being backed up? Take them, take the USB drives, or make sure your cloud backups are in sync. Stay safe and I hope things are under control sooner than later for your family and neighbors.

Thank you, this is all great advice! We have almost all our baby's pictures backed up on the cloud, which is 98% of what I care about, but I'll check to see if we've packed up our external hard drive and USBs.

Yeah, took us a bit to find a place open. But Lucky in Montegomery village is open. The other stores near me are closed, except Danos Liquors

As of a few hours ago, the Raley's just off of 101 in Petaluma still had plenty of food, and the Luccesi community center is just across the street, functioning as a relief center, though it's now full.

sungahymn

Neo Member
Smoke in the clouds is reaching all the way here in Orange County. Sounds real bad up north. I pray no one else dies or gets hurt real bad out there.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Getting some fairly steady ash rain right now.

Spacebar

Text my cousin this morning and he is safe. He was helping a friend evacuate last night. Going to follow up with him later.

sungahymn

Neo Member
That's not the NorCal fires, that's smoke from the Canyon Fire burning off the 91.
Oh, really? Thanks for correcting me.

Shit, then there's multiple fires going on? I thought there was just one big one.

EDIT: Actually, I was thinking of the fire in Anaheim Hills, in SoCal. In any case, hopefully the wind will die down soon and no more fires will pop up.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, the So Cal one is pretty close to where I work. Everyone's keeping an eye on it in case they need to run home and evacuate.

Damn, just heard a family friend lost her house in the fire. I can't imagine how awful that must feel.

I'm in the South Bay and the air keeps getting worse. Offshore winds are blowing the smoke toward us; a huge brown cloud has been steadily hovering this way all day. The sky now has that unmistakable orange glow that happens when the air is smoky from wildfires.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Got this from Twitter just now
SAJofaN.jpg
north end of the city is just straight up nuke style levelled. if thats where i think it is. its still pretty hard to get a bead on solid info.

jesus christ. there are some videos of cardinal newman highschool that make it out to be 100% gone as well

this is impossible to comprehend

RCSI

Yeah, the So Cal one is pretty close to where I work. Everyone's keeping an eye on it in case they need to run home and evacuate.

I am keeping apprised of the situation for the one in So Cal, north of my area has received mandatory evacuation.

Disneyland has been a lot of fun today, but I do have to say the fire clouds made it a tinge apocalyptic. Oh yeah and the ash floating everywhere.

I hope everyone is safe, 0% contained as of 30 min ago is crazy.

Keri

I am keeping apprised of the situation for the one in So Cal, north of my area has received mandatory evacuation.

I live just to the north of the current evacuation area, but depending how close you are, you might want to pack a couple bags, just to be safe. It looks like the evacuation area is spreading south.

RCSI

I live just to the north of the current evacuation area, but depending how close you are, you might want to pack a couple bags, just to be safe. It looks like the evacuation area is spreading south.

Already started. My Grandmother and cousin (2 miles north of myself) were told to start evacuating by 5 pm.

J-Tier

Had to drive by the fires on the 91 earlier this morning. The ash and smoke has painted everything in a dark orange. Like Mad Max post apocalypse. I've a few friends who live in the evacuation area.

Got this from Twitter just now

north end of the city is just straight up nuke style levelled. if thats where i think it is. its still pretty hard to get a bead on solid info.

jesus christ. there are some videos of cardinal newman highschool that make it out to be 100% gone as well

this is impossible to comprehend

This is also the Coffey Park neighborhood (you can see the park in the upper left of the photo and a school in the upper right:

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.476122,-122.7478497,872m/data=!3m1!1e3

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
This is also the Coffey Park neighborhood (you can see the park in the upper left of the photo and a school in the upper right:

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.476122,-122.7478497,872m/data=!3m1!1e3
Its super unbelievable. It really is such a quiet neighborhood. We're waiting to hear about a coworkers home who lived there. She definitely evacuated and is fine but we haven't heard about the house yet. Tons of people around town are posting pooled melted metal from their cars. Its so crazy.

AniHawk

fire is about four miles north of me at peters canyon in tustin. i'm just east of the evacuation line. have a bag packed just in case.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The feeling here is unlike anything else. All my neighbors are outside standing around. Groups of people chillin on their roofs. The scene is wild. This is the first big disaster I've really experienced. I was alive during the 88 quake but was like a baby basically.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Anyone have the hotline for finding family members handy?

I thought I saw it earlier today.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I can't imagine having a literal Hell approach your house and destroy everything you know. Stay safe all.

jeez... some of those pictures looks frighteningly similar to the 2049 version of LA and surrounding areas from the new Blade Runner movie. (I just watched it last night).

Took 6.5 hours but I managed to get my grandparents.

Don't know for sure but their home is almost certainly burned to the ground. All they have left is one wallet, a walker, and the clothes they're wearing.

What an awful day.

LaNaranja

Fuck I really hope the OC one stops spreading into Tustin. If it keeps moving south west it will be in my neck of the woods soon.

Top Bottom