• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlanta |OT| Donald Glover's New Show For FX - Tuesdays 10/9c

Dereck

y6MbNuM.gif

People in this thread and on Wikipedia saying first two episodes aired today? It hasn't aired where I live yet, but my DVR is only showing 1 show episode name - is it a 2 for 1 kinda premier?

You guys are hyping me up. Really would like to watch right now but I'm stuck at work and can't seem to find any streams on my phone lol

Half way through the show...

WHAT THE HELL AM I WATCHING?!?!?!?

I can't stop.

This show is humorous in a deeply depressing kind of way. Deeply.

Bronx-Man

Banned
"Sexuality is a spectrum where you can do whatever y-"
"Nah, that nigga gay as hell"

I cannot tell you how many times I've been the Ern in a situation like that.

Permanently A

That was really good. Surprised they're calling it a comedy, didn't feel like one at all. I'm kind of depressed to be honest, especially after the mentally disabled man being beaten.

Loved it. Great shots and great jokes. I didn't really get a depressing vibe from it but some of it did feel oppressive in a way. Like the fame and success Alfred's getting right now is going to go away at any second so he/we can't enjoy it.

Can't wait for next week's ep.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
That was fantastic. It will be a bummer when the coming episodes are only 30 minutes, though.

TripOpt55

Really good. Had me glued to the TV. Felt like the hour was over in a hurry too. Loved the way it was shot. Will definitely be watching the rest of the season.

Permanently A

What was the nutella guy on the bus about? Why did he want earn to bite the sandwich?

also why did Dave not say nigga the second time he tells the story?

Enzom21

What was the nutella guy on the bus about? Why did he want earn to bite the sandwich?

Dave didn't say nigga because he knows he shouldn't say it but he doesn't think Earn can beat his ass so he said it to him.

ezekial45

Banned

The first question is open to interpretation. To me, I saw it as an odd sign of life or the universe understanding what he's going through and presenting him with a solution that he may not understand. He rejects it (twice, he gives a sandwich away to another inmate) and seems ignorant of what it meant. I wouldn't be surprised if the sandwich comes back in other episodes.

As far as Dave goes, he only said 'nigga' to Earn because he considered him a friend and was comfortable around him. He didn't say it in front of other black people because he was afraid of upsetting them. A white person saying 'nigga' is a very touchy issue, as 'nigga' is a black term of endearment for blacks, which whites and other races for that matter have tried to co-opt as a term of endearment as well, but of course it doesn't translate well to them as the phrase is inherently tied to black culture. The scene where Earn asks him to repeat his story was a shaming of sorts.

I think the sandwich is just reiterating what his dad said. Earn gets what he wants but it has to be on his terms. He ain't asking for hand outs son. Lol b

Ivan 3414

Dave didn't say nigga because he knows he shouldn't say it but he doesn't think Earn can beat his ass so he said it to him.

Your description makes it seem like Dave was using the n-word maliciously. It's more that Dave knows he shouldn't say it to the wrong black dude. He and Earn apparently have prior history and he likely thinks Earn is one of the "cool" ones.

Edit: it was explained a lot better above

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Interesting show. I can understand the reviews that say it's something different in that it doesn't fit into any kind of established framework, but at least it's not a 30-something straight white guy in LA being lonely yet again.

Enzom21

Your description makes it seem like Dave was using the n-word maliciously. It's more that Dave knows he shouldn't say it to the wrong black dude. He and Earn apparently have prior history and he likely thinks Earn is one of the "cool" ones.

Edit: it was explained a lot better above

No, I wasn't implying malice. Him saying nigga goes hand in hand with him trying to hustle money out of Earn.
Dave clearly doesn't see Earn as any kind of threat, so he was comfortable saying nigga around him.
I think showing Dave not saying it to the people coming out of the station and Earn asking Prince about it was trying to convey that.

Dave wants to be able to say it but knows he shouldn't because of possible consequence from its use but doesn't think there would be any from Earn.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I thought the first episode was pretty good, but the second one almost put me to sleep. It's different and offbeat enough for me to stick with it though, for sure.

Also, I liked pretty much everyone in the cast*, but I can't for the life of me get into Donald Glover. Outside of Community, I haven't liked him in anything I've seen him in and here his act feels especially artificial and forced. I just don't buy him in this role at all.

*especially Darius: "I don't know man, I like Flo Rida. Moms need to enjoy rap too."

Loved this so much. I've found Glover corny as fuck in stuff like Community (well that show in general is wack) and his rap career but man he really has a winner with this. Impressed that he pulled it off so far.

It's basically a black Louie, but not in the conversational comedy way like Top Five was, but more in discussing societal issues through almost surreal comedic scenes.

Like that dusthead who was shitting on singing rappers and praising Postboy for being "real". Or the jail scene with the Transexual and the dude. That was both hilarious and depressing in a way no show has been aside from Louie.

Also props to nailing that atlanta trap sound too. I was worried we'd be hearing some Gambino crap in here but he's really nailed everything about the city. If it keeps up this quality then god damn this will be a top 5 or possibly 3 show of the year for me. If he's consistent with this output then I'd love to see him write a film too.

Dereck

Refusing the sandwiches to me was a metaphor for not trusting people. Sure, if you're hungry and someone offers you a sandwich, that's great because it's free and it's food. To me though that sandwich could have something in it that's bad for me, or if I eat the sandwich I'm taking handouts and now I owe that person something. Refusing the sandwich means I don't have to worry about if the sandwich was tampered with and I also don't have to worry about being obligated to owe someone something back afterwards.

More primarily though I think it was just about Ern wanting to earn things himself which is shown by how he got into that building and gave that guy Paperboy's CD.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Annnnnnd I'm hooked. Best premiere I've seen in a long time. I don't care if they want to call this a comedy or drama or "dramedy," It was engrossing and hilarious. This reminds me so much of Louis, where they don't beat you over the head with jokes every 20 seconds. It's instantly relatable in some way because life isn't 100% serious or 100% funny.

ZeroX03

Banned
Annnnnnd I'm hooked. Best premiere I've seen in a long time. I don't care if they want to call this a comedy or drama or "dramedy," It was engrossing and hilarious. This reminds me so much of Louis, where they don't beat you over the head with jokes every 20 seconds. It's instantly relatable in some way because life isn't 100% serious or 100% funny.

But 100% real

Top Bottom