• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legion |OT| Insert X-Men Meme - Wednesdays 10/9c on FX

TheOddOne

1nhs1t.png

reviews01sekut.png

- THR: 'Legion': TV Review.
It might seem weird to have a Marvel show on FX, or to have it star that upper-crust Brit from Downton Abbey, filtered through the creator of Fargo, but somehow it all works. Three episodes of Legion — in all their cracked visual glory — were enough to want the rest of the season immediately.
- TVLine: Legion Review: An Exhilarating Delight, Even if You Don't Like Comic Books.
Comic-book fans might be eager for Legion to hurry up and get to “the good stuff,” connecting David to the X-Men universe they know and love. But I’m not in any hurry. Speaking as someone with next-to-zero knowledge of comic books, this is the first superhero show I’ll be adding to my DVR’s season-pass list. Legion has created a compelling world that firmly stands on its own… and I look forward to Hawley and the cast dazzling me even more in the weeks to come.
- IGN: Legion: "Chapter 1" Review.
Like Fargo before it, Legion feels like more than a mere TV show. Some comics fans might be disappointed by its avoidance of core X-Men mythology (so far, anyway), but at the same time Legion is very faithful to the character of David Haller. How Hawley and his team can sustain the intrigue and visceral feel of this pilot episode remains to be seen, but I’m anxious to see what they have in store for us.
- More reviews.

Boem

I don't care at all for the X-Men movies (or superhero stuff in general at this point), but this being done by the guys who did Fargo has my attention. I'll give it a go. Very happy that it's not too long.

Geist-

Looking forward to this. X-Men and mutants always seemed like a better concept for TV anyway since it allows them to really dig into the more hardcore themes.

TheOddOne

So is this connected to the film universe?
- Variety: ‘Legion’ Has to Prove Itself Before Potential X-Men Crossovers, Says Creator Noah Hawley.
FX’s “Legion” is the first television series based on Marvel’s X-Men characters, who’ve been depicted on the big screen in nine feature films from Fox. Creator and executive producer Noah Hawley has downplayed the potential for a crossover — but he’s not ruling it out.
While
Xavier
and his cohorts may appear in “Legion” at some point, says Hawley, no such meeting is planned for season one. “It’s sort of a non-starter to say
James McAvoy’s going to be in my show
,” Hawley says. “I’m not saying never, but certainly not in the first year of it. You’d have to pay those guys so much money to begin with. You’d have to pay them movie money in a different medium.”

Neither will Hawley be lifting storylines from the comic books and adapting them for the show. As an example of how such efforts can go wrong, he points to the way that fan-favorite comic-book arc “The Dark Phoenix Saga” was handled in director Brett Ratner’s “X-Men: The Last Stand.”

Khaz

I thought Marvel Television was limited to the MCU? Why do they even need them if it's tied to X-Men?

TheOddOne

I thought Marvel Television was limited to the MCU? Why do they even need them if it's tied to X-Men?
- Variety: ‘Legion’: Creator Noah Hawley on Taking FX Series Beyond X-Men.
“The X-Men universe is not a universe that they control,” says Landgraf. That authority lies with FX parent 21st Century Fox, which is developing a pilot for another “X-Men” series at Fox Broadcasting.

The relationship between Fox and Marvel on the feature-film side has long been contentious. (No détente, as was struck when Marvel and Sony brokered a deal to collaborate on future “Spider-Man” films, is in the offing: The Avengers and X-Men will not be teaming up any time soon.) But with former “Heroes” executive producer Loeb leading Marvel Television, and Peter Rice, who developed the first “X-Men” movie back when he was a film executive, heading Fox Networks Group, the two companies have struck a more collaborative tone on series projects.

“Frankly, they’ve been pretty bold,” Landgraf says in praise of Marvel’s TV efforts. And he notes that Marvel executives have been outspoken on “Legion” when they’ve had concerns about how the character was being handled. But not too outspoken.

Sounds less like an issue of "we can't pay Hugh Jackman to come through" and more of them wanting to distance themselves from having to connect to a universe that's all over the place when it comes to quality and continuity.

It helps the main character has reality warping powers though so they have a built-in excuse to weave that universe in or out at will.

Excited as hell for this. Connection to the X Men universe or not I've been waiting for something to come along that can use the comic book thing and not just do a villain/monster of the week format with it.

Glix

Whoa those reviews are glowing.

May have to check this out, Muir Island Saga were the first comics I ever bought when I was 6th grade

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'll take a good show over shoehorned cameos and shared universe connections. I have a feeling more discussion online will revolve around lack of the latter two.

Glad to see the reviews are solid. I'm not particularly eager to watch another comic show, but this looks just different enough for me to give it a chance. Plus the small episode number is nice to hear

Could be that they want it to be a big twist for the uninitiated viewers.

Possibly. But I bet they'll just ignore Xavier and create their own mythology barely tied to the X-Men stuff. That's pure speculation on my part but I would imagine that Hawley wants to have as much freedom as possible.

I just hope they don't go the Supergirl season 1 route where they keep referencing him without ever saying his name.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Am I the only one excited for Aubrey Plaza?

Weird Legion getting a solo thing. AoE is really the only thing I think of when it comes to him. Kinda messed that whole thing up...

jon_i634

Banned
I'm super excited for this show! I couldn't care less about the comic book aspects, but with Noah Hawley and Dan Stevens, I will 100% watch this. Hawley hasn't disappointed yet; Seasons 1 & 2 of Fargo are some of the best stuff out there.

Who the hell is Jemaine Clement supposed to be playing?

Sebastian Shaw? Harry Leland?

Gotta be someone from the Hellfire Club, right?

Top Bottom