• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey |OT| RSVP: Guests of the Groom

Q8D3vil

Yeah, bought Switch to play this and i dont like it (not a fan of 3d platformers in general).
at least my wife is enjoying it a lot which is nice.

Shifty

I totally love this game!

I do wonder though has anyone else issues with how Mario controls? Compared to 64 the last one I really played this feels less responsive.

Also in handheld mode I often have issues with depth perception....?

Is this an age thing or handheld thing. Lol

I felt like the movement controls were a bit slow at first, particularly acceleration from standstill, but after about six or so hours I've settled in and it's pretty comfortable.

I've been playing exclusively docked so far though, fwiw.

Darksheik

Just went for the physical version.
Got a fair price I guess as well (CHF 64.90).

Cannot wait to come home. Today will be a looong working day.

OuterLimits

I told myself I wouldn't buy the game today because I bought Fire Emblem Warriors earlier this week... those reviews though are making it difficult. I knew I shouldn't have read them.

Shifty

I told myself I wouldn't buy the game today because I bought Fire Emblem Warriors earlier this week... those reviews though are making it difficult. I knew I shouldn't have read them.

Joiiin ussss.... Joooooin ussssss.

Kind of crappy OT and even worse title for the greatest video game ever made on this planet, in my opinion. It seems rushed.

Kind of crappy post and an even worse attitude for a thread about the greatest video game ever made on this planet. Seems rushed.

Ravelle

God damn Nintendo you evil sons of bitches, there's more moons per levels than the silhouettes in the top left indicate!

Raimond

To all those thinking digital or physical... Nintendo games always hold their value if you ever decide to trade in.

Shifty

To all those thinking digital or physical... Nintendo games always hold their value if you ever decide to trade in.

Plus, eShop prices are always top dollar. In the UK at least, going physical is always a saving and you get a box for your shelf to boot.

ehead

I started the game a few hours ago and had to stop after getting the Odyssey. This game gave me a really warm feeling, from the vibrant colors to the superb soundtrack. I can’t wait to play more.

I’m loving the screenshot feature as well. If only it had the option to post to someplace else besides twitter.

crushy

Neo Member
Mediamarkt messed up my gamingplans, had a free day for the release but my releaseday-delivery didn't come trough. Happy gaming to all those who have it already.

I received my copy from Amazon about an hour ago, excited to finally play it.

But, I’m in a bit of predicament. I almost never start a new game before finishing the one I’m currently playing, especially if I’m enjoying it.

As stupid as I might sound, I don’t know what to do :p

Shifty

I received my copy from Amazon about an hour ago, excited to finally play it.

But, I’m in a bit of predicament. I almost never start a new game before finishing the one I’m currently playing, especially if I’m enjoying it.

As stupid as I might sound, I don’t know what to do :p

I feel ya there. What have you got on the go at the moment?

I pushed Golf Story aside for Odyssey and don't regret it at all. But in fairness, the game will be just as good if you wait and start it later ;)

OuterLimits

Joiiin ussss.... Joooooin ussssss.

Kind of crappy post and an even worse attitude for a thread about the greatest video game ever made on this planet. Seems rushed.

Yeah, I think it's a good OP. I do know my 4 year old would have a blast watching me play and even playing a bit himself.

He still struggles with Mario games, but is surprisingly really damn good at Sonic Mania. He can get about halfway through the game. I do have to help when Sonic is under water though. Lol.

I feel ya there. What have you got on the go at the moment?

I pushed Golf Story aside for Odyssey and don't regret it at all. But in fairness, the game will be just as good if you wait and start it later ;)

I’m playing Shadow of War, have nearly completed Act 2 with roughly 30 hours on the clock.

You’re absolutely spot on about said game retaining its quality regardless of when I decide to play.

Plus, eShop prices are always top dollar. In the UK at least, going physical is always a saving and you get a box for your shelf to boot.

That’s true. I bought a physical copy from Amazon for £40 whereas it costs £50 in the eShop.

Currently am in the forest kingdom and having a blast. The game isnt hard at all but still fun and creative as hell, only times i die is when trying to do some stupid thing with a bullet bill or such.

Freeman76

Yeah, bought Switch to play this and i dont like it (not a fan of 3d platformers in general).
at least my wife is enjoying it a lot which is nice.

Bought a switch to play a 3d platformer when you dont like 3d platformers.

Sensible purchase lmao

Ducktail

Great OP!

Downloading now! Have to work all day and then have a slumber party to coordinate at my school. =(

Plus, there`s stranger things season 2. What a day.

Ragnamith

Still waiting for mine from Amazon here in the UK, unfortunately wont have much time to play until Sunday though but still very hyped for this

TLZ

Banned
Does anyone have issues with unresponsive inputs on the joycons? Even if I am not blocking anything I’m getting this issue..
I always do and it's very annoying. It's the right joycon for me. And for some reason the left joycon drains battery quicker.

Necro900

Anybody tried the coop mode? How engaging is it for P2?
Been thinking about playing with the GF, but I'm afraid she might get bored of just throwing the hat around collecting coins or capturing enemies.

Lucumo

Not playing the game, just watching a bit on Twitch. The streamer just took over a fish, swam around a bit and then hopped onto the land. The fish popped after a while...pretty brutal.

The game definitely looks to have charm but so far, it seems to be pretty easy? Really liked Mario 64 and Sunshine back then, not a fan of Galaxy and what followed, so this game is more up my alley.

TLZ

Banned
Anybody tried the coop mode? How engaging is it for P2?
Been thinking about playing with the GF, but I'm afraid she might get bored of just throwing the hat around collecting coins or capturing enemies.
Yea I played it with my 3yr old being cappy always wandering around aimlessly when I needed her most. I know it's not the same but still 2p :p

It's quite fun.

Not playing the game, just watching a bit on Twitch. The streamer just took over a fish, swam around a bit and then hopped onto the land. The fish popped after a while...pretty brutal.

The game definitely looks to have charm but so far, it seems to be pretty easy? Really liked Mario 64 and Sunshine back then, not a fan of Galaxy and what followed, so this game is more up my alley.

That's generally how most Mario games are when it comes to just finishing the story. Hell, Mario 64 wasn't a hard game if you are just looking to do the barebones minimum to finish the game.

Urgh the wait is killing me, pre ordered the game from Amazon and it might not be delivered until 8 tonight (it's 1 in the UK)

Come to think of it I don't know why I pre-ordered from there seen as they botched my Zelda pre order.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
I've played a few hours so far I'm enjoying it a lot. I drove the kids to school today so we can play for an hour before school.

My 7 year old was so happy. I picked it last night and had it when he woke up. He told me that he didn't know I was getting it. He was going to ask Santa for it then give it to me because he knew how much I wanted it. It made me proud he would think of others first.

I told him its all good we share our games its everyones.

Lucumo

That's generally how most Mario games are when it comes to just finishing the story. Hell, Mario 64 wasn't a hard game if you are just looking to do the barebones minimum to finish the game.

If you ignore the harder parts of the game, then sure, it wasn't really hard. I meant this more in terms of that he is finding Moons left and right (in a pretty short time frame) without really doing anything for it.
(He was in that ice/snow world, for reference.)

Impotaku

A few hours in so far and my goodness it's a thing of beauty, the details of the enviroments are so beautiful.

The Amiibo are lovely, these are the first i have actively bought. However they are going away for xmas, cappy was a nice bonus it can even be worn if you have a teeny tiny childs head.
K975KZV.jpg

4rK4JUJ.jpg

Lum1n3s

Only managed to play the first hour but wow is this game fantastic. Time to marathon this and Stranger Things, so glad I got my staycation this week.

TLZ

Banned
I've played a few hours so far I'm enjoying it a lot. I drove the kids to school today so we can play for an hour before school.

My 7 year old was so happy. I picked it last night and had it when he woke up. He told me that he didn't know I was getting it. He was going to ask Santa for it then give it to me because he knew how much I wanted it. It made me proud he would think of others first.

I told him its all good we share our games its everyones.
Good kid :)

A few hours in so far and my goodness it's a thing of beauty, the details of the enviroments are so beautiful.

The Amiibo are lovely, these are the first i have actively bought. However they are going away for xmas, cappy was a nice bonus it can even be worn if you have a teeny tiny childs head.
K975KZV.jpg

4rK4JUJ.jpg

Man, I would love to have that Cappy on my shelf of gaming junk. All I get here in the U.S. from Best Buy is another Nintendo collectable gold coin, which are really kind of boring at this point.

Well, looks like my delivery from Amazon got delayed a day, all the way until Monday.

So, I guess I'll go digital since I was looking forward to playing all weekend.

Whats the upside of getting a physical copy? It’s annoying getting the games out and in of the switch and i only got 2 games on cards as it is.

Resell value?

cereal_killerxx

For those playing, how do the graphics compare to a PS4 or Xbone game? (I've seen loads of youtube videos but I feel like they're never a fair representation of the graphics because of the low video bitrate)

Bethell

For those playing, how do the graphics compare to a PS4 or Xbone game? (I've seen loads of youtube videos but I feel like they're never a fair representation of the graphics because of the low video bitrate)

It looks great, the sand area literally has the shimmer that Uncharted 2 did.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Whats the upside of getting a physical copy? It’s annoying getting the games out and in of the switch and i only got 2 games on cards as it is.

Resell value?

Well, if your system craps out you won't have to struggle to DL again. Plus they say that owning digitally you don't really own it you are leasing it. What happens in 20 years when your Switch is dead and want to get a new one? Just like MP games, when the servers are gone...the game is gone. With physical you will always have it. Yes! I will say 'MF'ers I own it!'

Top Bottom