• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

asagami_

Banned
When Atlus announced P2:EP remake wouldn't have a localization, it was around a year after the japanese launch, so we still have hope
:(

omlet

Persona 5 is great and all but... gonna be needing that EOV y'know.

I've been scratching the dungeon crawler itch with Dungeon Travelers 2 lately. By far the best of the bunch on Vita compared to Demon Gaze, Operation Abyss, and CG. It's not quite as good as EO but it does a lot of things right that these other (non-EO) games mentioned don't.

Weebos

Banned
Persona 5 is great and all but... gonna be needing that EOV y'know.

I've been scratching the dungeon crawler itch with Dungeon Travelers 2 lately. By far the best of the bunch on Vita compared to Demon Gaze, Operation Abyss, and CG. It's not quite as good as EO but it does a lot of things right that these other (non-EO) games mentioned don't.

People talk that game up, but every time I look up gameplay it looks like garbage.

I got bored pretty quick with Demon Gaze and Operation Abyss, so I just haven't bothers with that one.

omlet

People talk that game up, but every time I look up gameplay it looks like garbage.

I got bored pretty quick with Demon Gaze and Operation Abyss, so I just haven't bothers with that one.

It is immensely better than DG and OA, but still not as good as EO. DG/OA/CG all had pretty boring gameplay (at least CG had a narrative that compelled me to finish the game, unlike the other two), but DT2 has class advancement, skill trees, complex dungeon maps, lots of varied enemy formations similar to EO, and some challenging boss fights throughout the game that have kept me very engaged. Probably the only real bad things I can say about DT2 from a gameplay perspective are that gear enhancement has a completely unnecessary time-wasting randomness to it (but at least it doesn't require save-scumming) and that the class balance is not as good as more recent EOs, but in the same way as EO that imbalance doesn't really start to show until very late into post-game fights. Well, and that you don't make your own characters, so some classes are not accessible for the early part of the game, which is a bummer for people like me who enjoy the character building style of EO, but it doesn't hold you back in gameplay terms. I think most EO fans would actually enjoy DG2 if they gave it a chance because it has a lot more in common with EO than those other Vita games.

Weebos

Banned
It is immensely better than DG and OA, but still not as good as EO. DG/OA/CG all had pretty boring gameplay (at least CG had a narrative that compelled me to finish the game, unlike the other two), but DT2 has class advancement, skill trees, complex dungeon maps, lots of varied enemy formations similar to EO, and some challenging boss fights throughout the game that have kept me very engaged. Probably the only real bad things I can say about DT2 from a gameplay perspective are that gear enhancement has a completely unnecessary time-wasting randomness to it (but at least it doesn't require save-scumming) and that the class balance is not as good as more recent EOs, but in the same way as EO that imbalance doesn't really start to show until very late into post-game fights. Well, and that you don't make your own characters, so some classes are not accessible for the early part of the game, which is a bummer for people like me who enjoy the character building style of EO, but it doesn't hold you back in gameplay terms. I think most EO fans would actually enjoy DG2 if they gave it a chance because it has a lot more in common with EO than those other Vita games.

Good to hear, I might try it out eventually.

Maybe we need to play reverse psychology with Atlus.

So what you're saying is we need to buy The Caligula Effect?

Also I've been meaning to pull the trigger on DT2, but I'm poor and I just beat Persona 5 and I have a backlog and oh look FFXIV and when's Etrian Odyssey
ne
V
er.

Nachos

I mean, worst comes to worst, we can always go out into the woods with some graph paper and antagonize the wildlife.

I feel like this is a reference to something from the games I should be getting but is going over my head.
Deers are just deers, and Atlus Japan likes representing Yggdrasil with broccoli on places like Twitter.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I mean, worst comes to worst, we can always go out into the woods with some graph paper and antagonize the wildlife.

Ax2dk5e.gif

Zweizer

Banned
Would you even know what a Warp Wire is? Y'all are probably one of these Ariadne Threads young'uns.

You're just going to give them all to the squirrels the first chance they get.

Pfft I've already learned my lesson. Next one is totally gonna give us an awesome reward!

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
(・ω・)b

r5vVWll.png

キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━!!

Speaking of events in the game and such, while its a bit hard to do because of the characters everyone makes is different for their PTs it would have been nice if they had more special event image graphics at least to accompany the text.

spiritfox

I've been thinking about how good the Abyssal Shrine is, perhaps the best stratum in the series. The gimmick is not too frustrating or too easy, and it's fun to run around aggroing FOEs then shutting them off with gates. The music is great, and I love how were basically charging into the enemy stronghold to find a portal to the next stratum. There's the floor where you walk into an open room and FOEs pop up on all sides and you have to basically dance between all of them to escape is one of the best parts of the labyrinth.

So if someone already played 1 and 2, do you think it'd be worth it to pick up the remakes(or maybe just one of them)

Kind of wondering if I should make a stop over to them before taking on 5. Like, do they offer anything interesting that 5 or their original versions do not?

Don't want to burn myself out too much but I also don't want to skip them if there's something unique about them

Zweizer

Banned
1 (and by extension Untold 1 Classic) has arguably the best story of the series, and sets up the setting pretty well. Untold 2 Story mode is surprisingly fun with likeable characters. The games also lack any form of multi-classing (in the DS originals anyways, the remakes mitigated it with Grimoires) so the party balance actually felt like it mattered. And of course, the music are quite lovely, be they the deceptivingly primitive FM tracks, or the reorchestrated ones.

You're not required to play any of them of course.

Edit: Whoops, misread what you meant. Untold 1 Story isn't worth it, but Untold 2 is pretty good. Otherwise, I'd mostly play them for the remastered soundtrack and improved QoL stuff, but otherwise they don't add much.

tuffy

So if someone already played 1 and 2, do you think it'd be worth it to pick up the remakes(or maybe just one of them)

Kind of wondering if I should make a stop over to them before taking on 5. Like, do they offer anything interesting that 5 or their original versions do not?

Don't want to burn myself out too much but I also don't want to skip them if there's something unique about them
Though I can't speak for 5 (yet), the remakes are major overhauls with a ton of gameplay elements changed around. Though the basic stratum themes and progression are the same, the labyrinth layouts are a lot different. The classes are rebalanced. There's lots of quality-of-life improvements (like better mapping toolsets). They're just big updates in general. Though I do prefer Untold 2 in part because the Grimoire Stone mechanic is a lot more intuitive and one can play through the whole game in Classic Mode without missing out on any areas to explore.

Rutger

Banned
I've been thinking about how good the Abyssal Shrine is, perhaps the best stratum in the series. The gimmick is not too frustrating or too easy, and it's fun to run around aggroing FOEs then shutting them off with gates. The music is great, and I love how were basically charging into the enemy stronghold to find a portal to the next stratum. There's the floor where you walk into an open room and FOEs pop up on all sides and you have to basically dance between all of them to escape is one of the best parts of the labyrinth.

EOIII has all the best dungeons.

Nachos

Though I can't speak for 5 (yet), the remakes are major overhauls with a ton of gameplay elements changed around. Though the basic stratum themes and progression are the same, the labyrinth layouts are a lot different. The classes are rebalanced. There's lots of quality-of-life improvements (like better mapping toolsets). They're just big updates in general. Though I do prefer Untold 2 in part because the Grimoire Stone mechanic is a lot more intuitive and one can play through the whole game in Classic Mode without missing out on any areas to explore.
To add to this, individual floors usually have brand new FOE types and puzzles/gimmicks, and both games add new classes (U1 got 2, with both exclusive to its story mode, while U2 got 3, with 1 being story mode-exclusive and one being classic mode-exclusive, but DLC). Both also add new dungeons. U2's is fun but U1's is pretty lackluster, even if the new bosses are fun. Also, U1's grimoire system was designed for crazy people, while U2's is much more manageable but still luck-based.

I really like most of U2, and it's got my favorite map layouts and puzzles in the series, but one thing really holding the game back for me regardless of mode is the boss design. Their HP totals are really bloated, and the devs designed their attack patterns like they usually make the superbosses (oddly punishing, really pattern- and memorization-based). They're among the least-fun in the series.

Since Atlus 3DS games go on sale so often, I think both could be worth checking out eventually (though I'd wait if you played the originals recently), but U2 has much more new content.

Rutger

Banned
I really like most of U2, and it's got my favorite map layouts and puzzles in the series, but one thing really holding the game back for me regardless of mode is the boss design. Their HP totals are really bloated, and the devs designed their attack patterns like they usually make the superbosses (oddly punishing, really pattern- and memorization-based). They're among the least-fun in the series.

It's funny, because the bosses in the original had the lowest HP.

spiritfox

I'm actually fine with the pattern based bosses in 2U. It's better than dying because the boss decided to use Cry Soul 3 times in a row randomly. Big attacks are usually telegraphed so you can prepare for it.

I'll probably skip 1 and get 2.

I played both when they were new so technically it's been longer since I played 1 than 2, but for some reason I still remember 1 pretty vividly. I remember all the stratums, their music, and the environment. Even the characters. I guess since it was my first experience it left an impact.

I tried to remember stuff from 2 but drew a blank lol. I don't even remember what the last boss was. I remember... the uh... Sakura stratum though. Mainly because I distinctly remember just sitting there to listen to the music! And... floating rocks? Also I remember the Gunner's tsundere looking face

I figure that means 2 might feel more fresh.

Actually, can you change back to the original OST as an option in those games?

spiritfox

I'll probably skip 1 and get 2.

I played both when they were new so technically it's been longer since I played 1 than 2, but for some reason I still remember 1 pretty vividly. I remember all the stratums, their music, and the environment. Even the characters. I guess since it was my first experience it left an impact.

I tried to remember stuff from 2 but drew a blank lol. I don't even remember what the last boss was. I remember... the uh... Sakura stratum though. Mainly because I distinctly remember just sitting there to listen to the music! Also I remember the Gunner's tsundere looking face

I figure that means 2 might feel more fresh

Yeah you should. I feel EO2U is a bigger remake compared to EOU, especially since there are many additions even in Classic mode. The story labyrinth is also available in Classic mode too unlike EOU. The restaurant is my favorite addition to the series.

Also how can you not remember Scylla.

Actually, can you change back to the original OST as an option in those games?

Yes, it's a toggle in the options. There are FM versions of the new tracks too.

Rutger

Banned
U2 is certainly the one to play out of the Untold games if you only play one. It's a better game all around, it even manages to turn Grimoires into something interesting, even if they're still inferior to subclasses.

1upsuper

Happy Anniversary to the best Wizardry series that isn't Wizardry. Hopped on with EO2 and I've been enjoying the ride ever since.

Since it is the 10th anniversary of the franchise in NA, talk about how you discovered EO or what made you buy a game in the franchise? Would be nice.

tuffy

Since it is the 10th anniversary of the franchise in NA, talk about how you discovered EO or what made you buy a game in the franchise? Would be nice.
I'd spent an inordinate amount of time building parties and drawing maps on graph paper while playing Wizardry V back in the day, so I knew exactly what EO was going for right from the start. Even the rough first entry exceeded my expectations with its great character designs, background music and quality-of-life details (like warp wires). It was a perfect fit for the things I liked in an RPG.

Top Bottom