• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider 20 Yr Anniversary Edition |OT| Hello from the other side

Come on now, the lag isn't that bad. It's there, and it would great if it was patched, but the game certainly isn't "broken".

It really is that bad. It's probably more apparent to me since I've just come from playing a lot of Uncharted 4.

The combat is not good at all. I was struggling against something as simple as killing a pack of wolves. The huge dead zone and the instant acceleration is just terrible. It makes the whole game feel sluggish. If they fixed it the combat would actually be great.

Dead

well not really...yet
I only played the first few hours on xbox, but either my memory is failing or this looks WAY better than it did before graphically.

hawk2025

"The lost city is up thaaaarr, somewhaaarrr"

Ah, yes, I had forgotten how the game telegraphs quite well how bad the storytelling will be.

Wait, what's going on with the sound mixing?

Nico_D

What? I haven't had/noticed any problems with aimimg so far and I'm about 4 hrs in.

The only problem I have with it coming from Splatoon is that I try to move the damn controller.

Melchiah

I don't think any reviews for the XB1 version mentioned this either.

It's becoming harder and harder to get accurate info from gaming outlets. It's pretty frustrating .

Hopefully this gets patched, because Nixxes is a god-tier port studio.

It's pretty baffling, that none of the reviews mentioned it about either version.

This has really become a game about waiting; first for the paid delay to go by, now for the input lag / dead zone to be fixed. I guess the hopes for the patch aren't high, considering it was never fixed on the XBO. Oh well, all the more reason to wait for a price drop, instead of paying a full price with the issue it has in its current state. It's not like a little more waiting matters at this point.

Just a question though, is the issue really that bad compared to the previous game? If it had anything like that, I didn't notice it.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
None of uncharted 3 reviews mentioned fucked up aiming either, apparently reviewers are playing special version of games with no fucking problem. Stopped playing xbone version because of the deadzone and said wait for ps4 version there is no way they ship it with fucked up control again :(

Melchiah

None of uncharted 3 reviews mentioned fucked up aiming either, apparently reviewers are playing special version of games with no fucking problem. Stopped playing xbone version because of the deadzone and said wait for ps4 version there is no way they ship it with fucked up control again :(

Huh, I don't recall noticing issues with aiming there. It was the first game in the Uncharted series I played though. Was it as bad as this one is for you? If it's somewhat the same, I might not have a problem with playing TR.

Can't believe the deadzone issue still exists , found it a massive pain on the Xbox one version. I adjusted to it but it was my main negative on the game .

I was never going to double dip but it's amazing they still didn't fix it after a year .

No reviews mentioned it in the Xbox version and again no mentions here . That alone should dock it below 9s .

Otherwise it's a pretty good game , abit too kind collectable shit but there tombs etc where fantastic for exploring .

hawk2025

It feels better than on the Xbox One, but the controls are still undeniably awful.

It's so weird. TR2013 played so well.

I might put it away until the Pro comes out.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Different issues one has giant deadzone (like killzone 2) and the other had Broken aiming Uncharted 3 problem was worse imo. if you didnt have problem with Uncharted 3 aiming you probably wont have a problem in RORT

Melchiah

Different issues one has giant deadzone (like killzone 2) and the other had Broken aiming Uncharted 3 problem was worse imo. if you didnt have problem with Uncharted 3 aiming you probably wont have a problem in RORT

Well, that's good to know. I didn't have issues with KZ2 either, even before it was patched.

Ummmm wow.

I mean, I'll admit I was a bit annoyed when I opened my Amazon package and saw this in a different case....but man. It's not that big of a deal.
Yeah sure of course why not.... let this game to be THE ONLY ONE that doesn't match and fit my huge game collection that took me long and hard years to build.

If it's not a big deal to you.... it is a big deal to others for their own reasons... not everyone have to match the interests and cares.

Why the hate at the packaging??
If it's that important to you, just get the special edition now, enjoy its contents, then get the regular edition in 1-2 years from a bargain bin for your shelf.
again...... people need to understand that not everyone else share the same cares and interest as them.. people ARE different.

Adding games to our gaming collection IS A HUGE DEAL to us collectors specially those who like perfection and have OCD which in my case it's true.... so it's not that easy and simple.

There have been official images of one since before release that you can find on various vendors websites. So one would think there will be.
I really hope we see a regular version in few months.
Or just buy the Asia version. It comes with a plastic case and looks like nornal in with other NTSC games.
I jusr checked play asia... they are all the same.

Bioshocker

I just finished DE on PS4 a few days ago and IMO controls in that game were miles ahead of this.

I just don't understand that. The 2013 reboot never felt like a TR game at all to me. It was a good game, but it could've been any third person action game out there. Rise feels like TR and the tombs are far, far better.

Edit: I read too fast, I see you're talking about the controls specifically.

Bladenic

I just don't understand that. The 2013 reboot never felt like a TR game at all to me. It was a good game, but it could've been any third person action game out there. Rise feels like TR and the tombs are far, far better.

He's talking about controls.

And so far I super agree. Having replayed TR13 over the summer, that game controlled like a dream. Rise just feels so much more sluggish in comparison to me. Even movement, which is strange because they added sprint and fast swim so you're moving faster but it feels like Lara gained about 30 invisible pounds.

Im not really having issues but it's noticeable. The aiming though, that's an issue. I've been stealthing as much as possible since I just don't want to bother aiming, though I'm sure there will be plenty of full on fire fights soon.

Yeah sure of course why not.... let this game to be THE ONLY ONE that doesn't match and fit my huge game collection that took me long and hard years to build.

If it's not a big deal to you.... it is a big deal to others for their own reasons... not everyone have to match the interests and cares.

again...... people need to understand that not everyone else share the same cares and interest as them.. people ARE different.

Adding games to our gaming collection IS A HUGE DEAL to us collectors specially those who like perfection and have OCD which in my case it's true.... so it's not that easy and simple.

I really hope we see a regular version in few months.

I jusr checked play asia... they are all the same.

I understand where you're coming from. I generally don't mind the box but absolutely hate it when their dimensions mismatch. The MvC3 steelbook for eg has similar dimensions as X360 box but sticks up like a sore thumb in my PS3 collection (due to it being taller).

If all else fails you can always get an empty blue box and print your own cover of the game.

I understand where you're coming from. I generally don't mind the box but absolutely hate it when their dimensions mismatch. The MvC3 steelbook for eg has similar dimensions as X360 box but sticks up like a sore thumb in my PS3 collection (due to it being taller).

If all else fails you can always get an empty blue box and print your own cover of the game.
But it wouldn't be official and that's a HUGE deal for a collector like me..... I'm seriously frustrating now to wait and see if there's a regular case in the upcoming months for a 2nd print or not... or is there even going to be a 2nd print.

TR is among my favorite 3 franchises with FF and RE since the 90s.... so for me to wait a year and then this to happen it's annoying me greatly like you have no idea :(

- J - D -

TR2 Bomber Jacket.<3

862E5E4C939048F04B2A9D1E24BFFB2482CC6CAF

0BD1AA8B708C3B6C63C72DD0579E825E0F379CDE

Ugh I feel so old.

Anyone else look at these pics and get kinda melancholy?

gconsole

Come on now, the lag isn't that bad. It's there, and it would great if it was patched, but the game certainly isn't "broken".

No it is that bad. It isso obvious the first time you control. I thought it was just me so I chech online and found this thread :(.

Seriously. I have been waiting for this game the whole year.

Wanderer5

Meh at Lara's Nightmare. Has some merits but doesn't have much, and is kind of frustrating with have fast enemies come at you and most rooms being tight.

san00ake

- Baba Yaga: The Temple of the Witch
- Cold Darkness Awakened
- Lara's Nightmare...
Between these three, I feel the game edges on horror a little too much for my taste.
I wish I wasn't such a big pussy...

Bioshocker

He's talking about controls.

And so far I super agree. Having replayed TR13 over the summer, that game controlled like a dream. Rise just feels so much more sluggish in comparison to me. Even movement, which is strange because they added sprint and fast swim so you're moving faster but it feels like Lara gained about 30 invisible pounds.

Im not really having issues but it's noticeable. The aiming though, that's an issue. I've been stealthing as much as possible since I just don't want to bother aiming, though I'm sure there will be plenty of full on fire fights soon.

OK, my bad. I still don't fully agree, though. I played them back to back (not DE but the 360 version of the reboot and then the Xbox One version of Rise, and then returned to the reboot again to finish it because I got tired of it for some time) and I Think they're very similiar. I can agree to some extent that the controls in Rise is a big sluggish when using the crossbow and moving at the same time. This is most evident when chasing wolves in confined spaces.

But still, Rise is a so much better game that I never felt that any control issues changed that.

And yes, there will be fire fights later in the game. Lots of them (which is the weakest part of Rise. The game would've been better off with less combat. But that goes for so many games these days, I feel.)

Wanderer5

Meh I think Rise is still better in least most ways, through TR2013 did have bit better pacing.
Ugh I feel so old.

Anyone else look at these pics and get kinda melancholy?

X3

I have to say the model is really good, along with TR2 regular outfit and AoD. TRC Catsuit is kind of bleh through (TR3 version is much better), and despite being from TR1, they changed the face of croft manor Lara to TR2 along with no triangle boobs.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Torn between this and Xcom2... >_<

This game seemingly has so much better production values but Xcom2 is the type of game that I really dig, and it seems like the replay value there is leaps and bounds over this but... Xcom2's PS4 has a reputation of being somewhat a technical mess while it seems like this game has it good on PS4...?

Damn >___<

Wanderer5

Nice buzzcut Lara.

57BA0Ck.jpg

There a glitch with the Antarctica outfit when purehair is turned off. The ponytail band is there floating lol.

6KZj17S.jpg

hawk2025

I'll say this, the game is 10 times more enjoyable simply ignoring the absurd amount of collectibles and never pressing R3.

The aiming is still hilariously bad. I invite anyone saying they don't feel it to simply go ahead and hunt some rabbits.

Yup, threw my copy in for about an hour last night and the input lag is not fixed. I think my ergonomic preference for the Dual Shock 4 makes it a slightly superior control option, but it's seriously the most sluggish game I've played on my PS4. The input lag reminds me of Killzone 2 back on PS3. It's workable -- I beat the original Xbox One release of Rise of the Tomb Raider last year, but it never stops being uncomfortable to work with, and by extension is certainly not ideal. I, too, hope there's a way to address the issue... And if it's by design, then the design sucks.

bombshell

I *think* it might be that the lag is better, but the acceleration speed and deadzone are both awful.

A lot of people (not you) seem to use input lag and deadzone interchangeably, but they are very different things.

To test if it's input lag, move full range of the analog stick quickly and input lag is the time delta between the movement and the action actually happening on screen. There will always be some input lag.

To test if it's deadzone, move the analog stick in very small increments and how far you need to move the stick before the game reacts determines the deadzone.

In the Xbox One version it was an input lag problem. Did you thoroughly test if it's one or the other or both in the PS4 version?

KyleCross

What's with this artbook? I expected something celebrating the 20 years of Tomb Raider, concept, sketches, and renders from all the games. Instead it's two pieces of concept art and then a bunch of fanart. Some of the pieces are even amateur deviantART affairs. Was this some sort of contest to get art into this? Hell, one of the pictures appears to be Source Filmmaker using the various Lara Croft models, so Square/Crystal is totally cool with people ripping their models?

Not trying to be negative here, it's just surprising and disappointing.

Wanderer5

What's with this artbook? I expected something celebrating the 20 years of Tomb Raider, concept, sketches, and renders from all the games. Instead it's two pieces of concept art and then a bunch of fanart. Some of the pieces are even amateur deviantART affairs. Was this some sort of contest to get art into this? Hell, one of the pictures appears to be Source Filmmaker using the various Lara Croft models, so Square/Crystal is totally cool with people ripping their models?

Not trying to be negative here, it's just surprising and disappointing.

They been pushing the TR community aspect into this celebration, so guess not surprising that there is a bunch of fanart there.

There a book coming out later this month call 20 Years of Tomb Raider (created by the Senior Community Manager at CD) that has content throughout the series and a good chunk is about the community ala fanart, cosplay, etc.

Am I playing a different game or am I just oblivious? I am having no issues what so ever with the controls. Didn't when I played this game last year and still don't now.

Jhn

A lot of people (not you) seem to use input lag and deadzone interchangeably, but they are very different things.

To test if it's input lag, move full range of the analog stick quickly and input lag is the time delta between the movement and the action actually happening on screen. There will always be some input lag.

To test if it's deadzone, move the analog stick in very small increments and how far you need to move the stick before the game reacts determines the deadzone.

In the Xbox One version it was an input lag problem. Did you thoroughly test if it's one or the other or both in the PS4 version?

It actually has both. It's definitely input laggy, but the deadzone issue is actually twofold. Yes, it has a kind of big deadzone, but it also has a really weird stick response. So small deflections actually do something, but they move the camera so minutely that it's almost imperceptible.

Am I playing a different game or am I just oblivious? I am having no issues what so ever with the controls. Didn't when I played this game last year and still don't now.

Probably oblivious, but that's not really a bad thing. I'd pay money to not be bothered by stuff like this.

Top Bottom