• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness HDR implementation is completely broken on my TV

DBT85

Of course. I use the AVS709 disc, and then HCFR to measure. If you have the i1DP, HCFR should pick it up easily, no adjustments necessary.

Burn the disc AVCHD to a DVD. Then pop that in the Pro and it will output in Rec709 at 1080p res, just like a Blu-ray.

Start with measure, grey scale and colors, save the file, and then begin on your adjustments.

AVS 709
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/948496-avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration.html

HCFR
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/1393853-hcfr-open-source-projector-display-calibration-software.html

Both are free, but consider donating if you like them, people put some real effort into it.

Well this absolutely bites. Can you list the sets for posterity?
Edit: and thanks for checking btw.

Most kind, thanks.

III-V

I understand the need to have the game calibrated and working correctly but god damn does it look incredible everywhere else aside from a few narrow tunnels.

The banding in a few areas doesn't bother me at all in the grand scheme of things

Oh, I said the same thing; in the above ground areas the game looks absolutely gorgeous with HDR enabled. The area near the start by the shore where it breaks out into bright orange sandstone with cherry trees in the distance just looks amazing.

I agree it doesn't bother me too much, and in general HDR does enhance the experience, but if we are going to tout this game as the finest HDR implementation to date (and it can easily be said as such when fixed), lets make sure the video levels are accurate as well as the color mapping.

RuhRo

Very helpful, thanks OP!

What TV setting do you have to force to limited? HDMI black level?

And just to be clear: there's no way to experience HDR and 4k at the same time in this game right now, without getting banding? You have to force it to 1080p? Disappointing.

III-V

Very helpful, thanks OP!

What TV setting do you have to force to limited? HDMI black level?

And just to be clear: there's no way to experience HDR and 4k at the same time in this game right now, without getting banding? You have to force it to 1080p? Disappointing.

The thing is that you set the PS4 to resolution = 1080p, and then set PS4 to RGB at full. Next go into the TV and set the black level to 'limited. So mismatched video levels.

Make sure you are using HDR in game, and I think 1440p 60fps still somehow works, even though the set is expecting an in-game upscale. I think to may still neb rendering in 1440p... It quite strange, but looks very good in implementation. I would also recommend set the colorspace to Rec709, over-riding the Rec2020.

And remember, if your set is an LG, it is likely not affected... Test it in the tunnel at the beginning, it will be quite clear if bugged or not.

Or just leave it all auto and deal with the banding and really far out colors.

RuhRo

The thing is that you set the PS4 to resolution = 1080p, and then set PS4 to RGB at full. Next go into the TV and set the black level to 'limited. So mismatched video levels.

Make sure you are using HDR in game, and I think 1440p 60fps still somehow works, even though the set is expecting an in-game upscale. I think to may still neb rendering in 1440p... It quite strange, but looks very good in implementation. I would also recommend set the colorspace to Rec709, over-riding the Rec2020.

And remember, if your set is an LG, it is likely not affected... Test it in the tunnel at the beginning, it will be quite clear if bugged or not.

Or just leave it all auto and deal with the banding and really far out colors.

I just tried all this. It does improve the banding, to such an extent that it's not noticeable except in very smooth gradients (like around the sun). But it doesn't completely eliminate it.

The colors do look fairly eye popping when it's all set up.

In any case, this elaborate rejiggering of settings to force a low resolution hardly counts as a solution...

Jonathan Blow, save us with a patch!

III-V

I just tried all this. It does improve the banding, to such an extent that it's not noticeable except in very smooth gradients (like around the sun)

In very bright regions, this could just be the displays fault, if the HDR content is mastered at 4K nits and the display can only reach 1K, it must clip very bright whites.

Some displays roll-off smoothly into a clip, while others hard clip. Really difficult to determine whats going on without some test patterns.

but yea, fingers crossed for a patch getting my butt kicked by puzzles in the mean time.

Heel

Sorry to bump, but thought it was worth noting for a potential fix. Just picked up a Samsung KS8000 and I also have the same problem in dark hallways.

bCxCQls.jpg

All settings are set to Automatic on PS4 with "HDMI UHD Color" set on the TV for the HDMI input.

Also shows up in other small areas with shade. Other than that, it looks gorgeous!

-griffy-

Banned
Sorry to bump, but thought it was worth noting for a potential fix. Just picked up a Samsung KS8000 and I also have the same problem in dark hallways.

All settings are set to Automatic on PS4 with "HDMI UHD Color" set on the TV for the HDMI input.

Also shows up in other small areas with shade. Other than that, it looks gorgeous!

Yup, same thing. Just got my KS8000 delivered today and the first HDR thing I tried was The Witness, and got the purple colors in dark shadows.

III-V

thats right, thanks for the screenshot.

Yup, same thing. Just got my KS8000 delivered today and the first HDR thing I tried was The Witness, and got the purple colors in dark shadows.

Sun temple is crazy broken purple below.

Yes, its broken, its not just my TV lol, I would hazard a guess and say all TV's but LG OLED's which is likely how it got broken in the first place.. Try this:

So the issue is with an incorrect limited or full flag in both the 1080p and 4K implementation. HDR should always be in limited, hence YUV anything..

So to avoid this mess, drop down to 1080p, output all auto from the Pro video output settings, at which point the Pro will be outputting 12-bit RGB full 4:4:4, then in display settings on the TV, switch to limited, as the auto will be detecting full from the PS4.

I can add another fix: when HDR is enabled, the TV expects a BT.2020 color container... well it appears that this HDR master was never mapped into BT.2020, which leads to pink highlights ind off colors in general. Change the colorspace back to Rec709, and you will see the average picture level and color space 'snap' back to where they should be (easy to know from SDR implementation).

Don't worry, the HDR is still very apparent as soon as you walk out of the tunnel and into the fort grounds, and its very pretty, the colors aren't quite as surreal, but it looks as it should, APL SDR = APL HDR...

I am happy for the bump, as I am hoping to see a fix! This is a great game and deserves the attention, and correct color is SO important to solving certain puzzles.

Jonathan Blow

Developer of The Witness and Braid
We determined that we do have a bug in the actual HDR rendering code of The Witness. We are going to issue a patch pretty soon, but we don't want to rush it out immediately, because we want to make sure our fix is good, and be careful not to break something else!

mitchman

Gold Member
On my Samsung F9000 with the SEK-3500 (making it a 2015 model TV), I fixed the banding by forcing YUV420 on the PS4.

III-V

We determined that we do have a bug in the actual HDR rendering code of The Witness. We are going to issue a patch pretty soon, but we don't want to rush it out immediately, because we want to make sure our fix is good, and be careful not to break something else!

bDnPcxV.gif

On my Samsung F9000 with the SEK-3500 (making it a 2015 model TV), I fixed the banding by forcing YUV420 on the PS4.
Thats cool, but doesn't work for me.

EDIT: although I am curious as to what your Pro/TV settings are.

mitchman

Gold Member
bDnPcxV.gif

Thats cool, but doesn't work for me.

EDIT: although I am curious as to what your Pro/TV settings are.

Note my change fixed the banding on the sea, didn't check dark areas. I use PC input type, UHD Color on of course, Entertain picture mode enabled.

Audioboxer

Finally got around to buying a copy of The Witness. Surely this is part of the "HDR bug"?

Right at the very start

Ho1qUS7.jpg

^ HDR off

p9AvsQ8.jpg

^ HDR on

Mobile pictures to show difference.

Sony Bravia KD55X8509C

HDMI enchanced set to on on TV for proper 4K signal requirements. RGB set to AUTO on TV and AUTO on PS4.

It is a very low end HDR set, but that just looks really bad above. Other games like Ratchet and Clank/FF15 don't seem to do this with HDR on. My TV flickers between HDR on and off, showing that is correctly switching from RGB full to RGB limited as needed.

Paging III-V but I assume this is roughly what your Sony set looks like at the very beginning of the game too. I am sad :'( I'll hold off playing till patch as I really want HDR on for this.

Yay. Hope something comes out soon.

III-V

Finally got around to buying a copy of The Witness. Surely this is part of the "HDR bug"?

Right at the very start

Ho1qUS7.jpg

^ HDR off

p9AvsQ8.jpg

^ HDR on

Mobile pictures to show difference.

Sony Bravia KD55X8509C

HDMI enchanced set to on on TV for proper 4K signal requirements. RGB set to AUTO on TV and AUTO on PS4.

It is a very low end HDR set, but that just looks really bad above. Other games like Ratchet and Clank/FF15 don't seem to do this with HDR on. My TV flickers between HDR on and off, showing that is correctly switching from RGB full to RGB limited as needed.

Paging III-V but I assume this is roughly what your Sony set looks like at the very beginning of the game too. I am sad :'( I'll hold off playing till patch as I really want HDR on for this.

Yay. Hope something comes out soon.

Yes that is it, great shots. Thanks for chiming in.

Have you tried the workaround that was updated on the OP?

Audioboxer

Yes that is it, great shots. Thanks for chiming in.

Have you tried the workaround that was updated on the OP?

Dropping to 1080p? I mean the game looks fine in 2k/4k, it's just HDR that causes issues. I tried forcing to YUV420 4K with HDR on and still got the same results as above.

III-V

Dropping to 1080p? I mean the game looks fine in 2k/4k, it's just HDR that causes issues. I tried forcing to YUV420 4K with HDR on and still got the same results as above.

Yes, 1080p is the only fix to keep HDR. I think I actually prefer well done HDR at 1080p over the resolution boost on this game.

Of course soon we will have both.

Audioboxer

Forcing the PS4 into 1080p still has wonky looking HDR in that beginning tunnel for me. Walls are just blown out and patchy like above.

III-V

Forcing the PS4 into 1080p still has wonky looking HDR in that beginning tunnel for me. Walls are just blown out and patchy like above.

Did you remember to mismatch the video level settings as well? I know it's crazy. You have to:

1.) change the Pro to 1080p RGB full video level
2.) change the set to limited video level
3.) change tv colorspace from auto or BT.2020 to Rec709

This completely fixes HDR for me at 1080p.

Audioboxer

Did you remember to mismatch the video level settings as well? I know it's crazy. You have to:

1.) change the Pro to 1080p RGB full video level
2.) change the set to limited video level

This completely fixes HDR for me at 1080p.

Okay that has worked.

Isn't that crushing blacks though? Forcing the PS4 to RGB full and the TV to RGB limited is a mismatch?

Tested that configuration on 4K and yeah it blows out HDR again. So whatever the issue HDR only looks normal at 1080p, PS4 RGB full and TV RGB limited.

lol what a shit show this HDR standard is with gaming. TVs not working correctly left right and center, as well as games bugs as well :(

III-V

Okay that has worked.

Isn't that crushing blacks though? Forcing the PS4 to RGB full and the TV to RGB limited is a mismatch?

Tested that configuration on 4K and yeah it blows out HDR again. So whatever the issue HDR only looks normal at 1080p, PS4 RGB full and TV RGB limited.

lol what a shit show this HDR standard is with gaming. TVs not working correctly left right and center, as well as games bugs as well :(

Normally that mismatch does crush blacks, yes, but not here...that's why it is a bug, that's getting addressed. It is a hot mess, but it looks so damn good in HDR.

Audioboxer

Normally that mismatch does crush blacks, yes, but not here...that's why it is a bug, that's getting addressed. It is a hot mess, but it looks so damn good in HDR.

Please own FF15 as I have some more brainstorming for you with a complete and utter hot mess around HDR settings in it ~ http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=226120677&postcount=1133

A game that is apparently crushing whites, yeah whites, not blacks, when it runs in limited/limited with HDR.

Jonathan Blow

We've submitted a new patch to Sony. Once they approve it (provided no problems are found!), it'll go live. I hesitate to attach dates to these things, but not too long.

The patch is executable-only, so it will be small.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How is the HDR when it is working properly? I stopped playing after 'finishing' the game but I still had extra puzzles to do, and it's just a lovely environment to wander around. Started it up on the pro only to be met with the purple tunnel..

Have a Sony XD9305. Kind of funny how sonys seem to be affected the most.

III-V

We've submitted a new patch to Sony. Once they approve it (provided no problems are found!), it'll go live. I hesitate to attach dates to these things, but not too long.

Great news, thank you!
How is the HDR when it is working properly? I stopped playing after 'finishing' the game but I still had extra puzzles to do, and it's just a lovely environment to wander around. Started it up on the pro only to be met with the purple tunnel..

Have a Sony XD9305. Kind of funny how sonys seem to be affected the most.
My opinion it is the best implementation to date. #2 infamous

Jonathan Blow

We just pushed the button to publish this patch in the US and Europe. It should be live in an hour or less.

Robot Pants

Thanks Jonathan. I just finished the game last week but I might start it up from the beginning all over again. Incredible game

Audioboxer

Cheers and ignore my FF rant above it was my TV settings. The Witness patch is out in Europe BTW, downloading now. Will test and report back.

Edit: Patch is only 20mb, booting up now.

Audioboxer

Yay, no more crazy purple tunnel. Thanks Jonathan! I can finally get playing the game <3

Also team 1440p upscaled at 60FPS. As much as native 4K is cool this game seems super smooth in 60FPS. Plus dat colour with HDR on :D

Wallach

Just bumping to say thanks for fixing this. It looks perfect on my X800D now! Easily the best implementation of HDR on PS4 to date. Great job!

III-V

Welp, that's it. HDR is fixed!

HDR implementation is top notch, the best to date, fitting for a killer game like this!

Sorry to bump this thread but I am sitting here stuck on the elevator puzzle and I turn off HDR because it was doing that dumb black screen flicker the Pro has been doing and viola two of the color squares become a different color whereas with HDR they were the same as the other colors.

Anyone else notice this? I am on 1.05 as well.

III-V

Sorry to bump this thread but I am sitting here stuck on the elevator puzzle and I turn off HDR because it was doing that dumb black screen flicker the Pro has been doing and viola two of the color squares become a different color whereas with HDR they were the same as the other colors.

Anyone else notice this? I am on 1.05 as well.

I made it through the elevator puzzle by the flower nursery a while back while using HDR, so I haven't been back or tried again since the fix.

I also haven't seen any black screen flicker from the Pro. It sounds like a HDMI cable issue.

EDIT: I forgot to mention in 2160p HDR mode, the PS4 only outputs in RGB video limited. Make sure your set is also set to limitedz.

I made it through the elevator puzzle by the flower nursery a while back while using HDR, so I haven't been back or tried again since the fix.

I also haven't seen any black screen flicker from the Pro. It sounds like a HDMI cable issue.

EDIT: I forgot to mention in 2160p HDR mode, the PS4 only outputs in RGB video limited. Make sure your set is also set to limitedz.

Hmm what about this limited mode option on my set?. I get what you mean but am unsure how to set my TV that way. I have a Vizio p series. I see an option for color space with auto, rgb and another option that begins with a y. Is that what you mean?

PS I have tried multiple HDMI 2.0 cables (including the one that it comes with) directly to the TV in multiple inputs and it still flickers to a black screen. But only when HDR is on. When researching it there are several complaints about it.

III-V

Hmm what about this limited mode option on my set?. I get what you mean but am unsure how to set my TV that way. I have a Vizio p series. I see an option for color space with auto, rgb and another option that begins with a y. Is that what you mean?

PS I have tried multiple HDMI 2.0 cables (including the one that it comes with) directly to the TV in multiple inputs and it still flickers to a black screen. But only when HDR is on. When researching it there are several complaints about it.

It's typically called RGB level or Video Level.

Not sure about your set. It may be called Black Detail, which should be set to off I think.

Top Bottom