• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN - World exclusive hands on with GTA V

It was pure Hollywood. A random, breathtaking moment of awesome directly stemming from a decision I made. A purely emergent, life-and-death dance more exciting than every pre-constructed, quick-time event I’ve ever half-heartedly button-bashed my way through.

Make no mistake; Grand Theft Auto V is made of moments just like this.

And it feels incredible.

HAHAHAHAHA.
Oh my god. What is this filth?
It's eye wateringly bad.
Fucking shameless article. I can see the perfect 10s rolling in already. This fuckin' industry, man.
Luke Reilly, you're on my shit list.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Inb4 GTA V gets the highest meta rating of the generation.
and then gets an equal amount of backlash

It'll get a fair share of usual haters that just hate on anything that's popular or well recieved just to make themselves feel special, but I'll be very surprised if GTA V gets anywhere near half the backlash GTA IV got. I think the fans are really going to take to this game. GTA IV was a legit disapppointment and had a lot of problems. I don't think that's going to be the case with V.

bud23

It was IGNs review that mentioned Oscar worthy, right?

Yes

GTA IV gives us characters and a world with a level of depth previously unseen in gaming and elevates its story from a mere shoot-em-up to an Oscar-caliber drama. Every facet of Rockstar's new masterpiece is worthy of applause. Without question, Grand Theft Auto IV is the best game since Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2008/04/29/grand-theft-auto-iv-special-edition-review

Fjordson

All the people who work themselves up over Metacritic scores won't have to worry about V scoring as high as IV. Tom Chick is on there now.

SmokyDave

Is this where I come to make a jaded, snarky comment about a gamer enjoying his first play of the most eagerly anticipated game of the year?

DjRoomba

Banned
hes not just a gamer though, hes supposed to be a professional critic and this fluff piece is somewhat embarrassing. Can you imagine a well respected reviewer writing about experiencing a movie in this way?

MCN

Banned
Heaven forbid somebody might actually enjoy something. Ban all enthusiasm! Everything must be shit!

cdkee

Banned
I don't know. Yeah the article is sensationalist. But I would write the same way probably. I'm hyped as hell.

While this game also has me hyped more than any other game this year, I also feel like those IGN guys talking in the impressions video are sort of blinded by the "newness" of the game. When they were going on about jumping out of a helicopter and skydiving down, seeing the helicopter fall all the way down to the city and being able to travel to the exact spot it fell and the wreckage was still there. That could be done in GTA IV. And the bit about blowing cars up and firetrucks arriving at the scene...again, same would happen in GTA IV.

Its safe to say the majority of people are super hyped for GTA V.

Heaven forbid somebody might actually enjoy something. Ban all enthusiasm! Everything must be shit!

There's enthusiasm, and then there's this; ' A purely emergent, life-and-death dance more exciting than every pre-constructed, quick-time event I’ve ever half-heartedly button-bashed my way through.' bilge. He has metaphors for his fucking metaphors, it's painful to read.
A world exclusive preview should detail the game and highlight why it's worth being excited for when compared to it's predecessor, this crap is a fluff article, nothing more than PR wank.

SmokyDave

hes not just a gamer though, hes supposed to be a professional critic and this fluff piece is somewhat embarrassing. Can you imagine a well respected reviewer writing about experiencing a movie in this way?
It's just a preview, not a deep and introspective essay. If I'm not spewing hyperbole out of my nostrils within the first few hours then I'll be amazed. The GTA games are some of the finest games ever made, I pretty much expect to see gushing praise across the board.

That's not to say that I object to criticism or dissenting voices, just that I don't expect to see too much negativity. The game looks fucking amazing.

Fixed. He's supposed to be a gaming "journalist".
Oh, you mean he's one of the guys that everyone pretends they don't take seriously?

Cool.

Ploid 3.0

Game journalists are excited fans, they can't help it.
untitled-322x4e.gif

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I expect that IGN and probably most major sites will have an NDA in place that prevents any of them from mentioning frame rates, atleast until after release anyway.

Yerolo

I expect that IGN and probably most major sites will have an NDA in place that prevents any of them from mentioning frame rates, atleast until after release anyway.

That German preview mentioned there was no stuttering during their 3hr preview on the 360.....then again that is always subjective. Some people have a higher tolerance for framerate

I think everybody is going to be very excited to see what IGN has in store on Friday. I can't say what it is cause I don't want to get anybody in trouble but it'll please a lot of people

dreamfall

I think everybody is going to be very excited to see what IGN has in store on Friday. I can't say what it is cause I don't want to get anybody in trouble but it'll please a lot of people

Considering what's been written, let's hope it's just video without commentary.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
After how they handled the hype leading to GTAIV,I'm never gonna trust IGN ever again.
Or any other site for that matter.

I stopped trusting IGN when they reviewed State of Emergency (also by R*) on the PS2 and that goes back 11 years or more.

Robbler

Banned

It's likely the review. They've reviewed huge games weeks early (Last of Us, for example).

While this game also has me hyped more than any other game this year, I also feel like those IGN guys talking in the impressions video are sort of blinded by the "newness" of the game. When they were going on about jumping out of a helicopter and skydiving down, seeing the helicopter fall all the way down to the city and being able to travel to the exact spot it fell and the wreckage was still there. That could be done in GTA IV. And the bit about blowing cars up and firetrucks arriving at the scene...again, same would happen in GTA IV.

Bolded is true, but back then, you couldn't do it in Grand Theft Auto V. Now, you can. Get hype!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I am so hype about the changes to the wanted system. Honestly, it's one of the biggest and best changes moving forward.

For anyone upset that this preview avoided any mention of performance, check the German write up on pcgames.de. On the fourth page they go into pretty firm detail. Essentially they said it ran smoothly, with very few pop-ins. The only complaint was some aliasing (edge flare, as google translated it). They said that if it weren't for that, they wouldn't believe the game was running on a 360. Pretty promising stuff!

Well that gives me something to look forward to.

Never felt like 2 weeks away would take quite so long as it seems.

Alienous

HAHAHAHAHA.
Oh my god. What is this filth?
It's eye wateringly bad.
Fucking shameless article. I can see the perfect 10s rolling in already. This fuckin' industry, man.
Luke Reilly, you're on my shit list.

I've committed the authors name to memory, it's so bad.

It's a fucking game preview. Say what you liked, say what you didn't, say your general impressions. I'm far more interested in your opinion of how the textures stream, than in how many ways you can say you enjoyed it.

Holy shit.

Exactly. They must have listed a dozen features that were also in GTA IV. This is why I find it hard to take previews of this nature seriously, because knowing that you are one of the first people to play GTA V I can understand a person gushing over every inane detail.

I need a critical eye.

abundant

Confirmed they've carried over the checkpoints (and mission-replays) from BoGT.
I still don't know why people were worried if/shocked that this game has checkpoints. Every single game, including the 2 DLC packs, following GTA IV had checkpoints, so why wouldn't GTA V?

CamHostage

You don't read a lot of movie magazines, I take it? In my opinion, cinema editorial is way more sycophantic and self-absorbed than gaming, especially since they're forced to vamp because they have to avoid spoilers and only have so much to talk about. At least there's not a face attached to the project to swoon over, the biggest stars of gaming are gameplay and graphics.

I'm for critiquing the critics fairly, but don't lie to yourself that the "important arts" have gotten it right.

Derrick01

Banned
The review period for this game is going to be incredibly annoying on here. So many people are ready to take their frustrations over how 4's review period was handled out on this game.

The sad part? The media will just fuel the fire with ridiculous hyperbole and perfect scores. We already know this game is leagues better than 4 but there will be an outcry if it matches 4's scores. The media painted themselves in a corner by giving such an overrated game 10s across the board, because they kind of have to give the better game the same score or else it doesn't make sense. Yet if they do it'll be hordes of "oh man cash dat check" comments.

UrbanRats

The review period for this game is going to be incredibly annoying on here. So many people are ready to take their frustrations over how 4's review period was handled out on this game.

The sad part? The media will just fuel the fire with ridiculous hyperbole and perfect scores. We already know this game is leagues better than 4 but there will be an outcry if it matches 4's scores. The media painted themselves in a corner by giving such an overrated game 10s across the board, because they kind of have to give the better game the same score or else it doesn't make sense. Yet if they do it'll be hordes of "oh man cash dat check" comments.

Hopefully i'll be too busy enjoying the game to stay mad on GAF.

raebodep

IGNs previews for gta4 were really misleading and I was really disappointed when I played the game. I'm not saying this game will be as bad but i'm still gonna wait for a price drop/pc version. I have a massive backlog anyway.

Top Bottom