• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Farpoint/PSVR Aim |OT| Survivors Keep Shooting

ryseing

Before we get started, I just want to get the most frequently asked question out of the way.

31MdWpstjqL.jpg

This is the PlayStation Sharpshooter from the PS3 Move days. No, it does not work with PSVR Aim supported games. The Aim is an entirely new peripheral with added sensors for better accuracy.

Now on to the OT(s)!

33181931621_2322d702c1_o-483x272.jpg

Publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment

Developer: Impulse Gear

Release: May 16, 2017

MSRP: $49.99 standalone/$79.99 bundled with the Aim

PS4 Pro Enhanced

farpoint-aim-controller-bundle-02-ps4-us-05apr17.jpg

Features: 4-6 hour cinematic campaign, unlockable high score Arcade mode, and four maps specifically designed for 2 player co-op. You'll be doing your fighting with weapons ranging from plasma rifles to railguns.

Synopsis

Farpoint is a riveting VR space adventure set on a hostile alien planet. On a mission to pick up scientists studying an anomaly near Jupiter, a sudden rupture nearby sends you and their station crashing onto an unknown alien world.

Separated from your colleagues, you must use holographic logs scattered throughout the landscape to reunite with the scientists and escape the planet. Explore and discover the secrets of the planet, blasting your way through hordes of indigenous and alien life as you keep moving to survive.

TV Spot

Story Trailer

FAQ

1) Is using the Aim the only way to play Farpoint?

No. A standard Dualshock 4 works just fine, and you can even use the controller's lightbar for aiming.

2) What about using two Moves?

Farpoint heavily relies on moving and strafing, so since the Moves do not have analog sticks, they will not work for Farpoint.

3) Co-op?! Will there be a GAF group?

Depending on interest, I will set one up. Keep your eyes on this space.

4) I've beaten Farpoint and want to shoot some more in VR! Any recommendations?

I'll take this opportunity to plug RIGS from dearly departed Guerrilla Cambridge. While there is no motion aiming it is still a very fun experience. I'll add other recommendations as suggested.

Reviews

70 on Opencritic

72 on Metacritic

(From USGamer)

Farpoint is a game that does it's job well, showing off PlayStation VR and the PlayStation VR Aim Controller. The act of shooting feels great and intuitive in the game thanks to the controller. Unfortunately, while VR adds to the experience, it doesn't hide what's a fairly rote and basic shooter from an earlier era of gaming.

(From Polygon)

Farpoint may seem basic in a few years, but it nails stuff a lot of VR games haven't figured out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PSVR Aim Controller

Publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment

Release: May 16, 2017

MSRP: $59.99 standalone/$79.99 bundled with Farpoint

PlayStation®VR Aim Controller heightens the experience of any compatible shooter for your PlayStation®VR. Precise motion tracking, ergonomic design, and deeply intuitive controls keep your shots lightning fast and deadly accurate. Together with vibration feedback, the Aim Controller lets you feel the action as you are transported to incredible and unexpected gaming worlds.

• Precise and intuitive aiming for compatible PlayStation®VR shooter games
  • Advanced motion sensing and light tracking technology
  • Ergonomic two-handed control
  • Easily-accessible DUALSHOCK®4 controls
  • Immersive vibration feedback
  • Rechargeable battery

Creator Taichi Nokuo:
I tried to make the design of the Aim Controller as simple as possible. It was important that the player can use it safely and comfortably with the PS VR headset on, and that the controller can be used as any type or form of weapon inside the game.

I made the intentional decision for the controller to not resemble an actual weapon, so that anybody, from children to adults, feel comfortable playing with it.

(Video) Developing the PlayStation VR Aim Controller

List of Confirmed Titles that Support the Aim

Farpoint (May 16)
Dick Wilde (May 16)
The Brookhaven Experiment (Available now, Aim patch coming June 6)
Arizona Sunshine (June TBA)
ROM: Extraction (TBA)

A little off topic but since this is Aim controller thread.
Just played maybe 20 minutes of Dick Wilde. With Move of course.
Tracking is very solid, sound is really great. One special thing is the simulated recoil, haven't seen this in any other games.
Main attraction is how chaotic it is, every enemies spit and jumps in your face. Reminds me House of the Dead a lot actually. It's a static shooter where you sidestep, duck and some minor movement, didn't have any tracking issue so far.

Edit : Just played another 20+ minutes, tried the bow and other gun. Okay if you are a fan of bow game, this game handles bow pretty good. Arrow emits electricity to chain enemies, every shot is really cool. Really liking this game more and more, my favorite thing is how busy you are at all times, there's no pause time in between of enemies, they just keep coming.

Aim FAQ

1) So the Aim supports more than just Farpoint?

Yep. In addition to the five titles listed above, there are also a couple of unannounced internal Sony titles that will make use of the Aim.

2) Isn't the design dorky? It looks awful! Why can't it be camouflaged as a lamp when not in use?

News flash! You look like a complete dork already when using VR. The Aim is designed in a utilitarian way so that it can easily be used with only touch, as well as opening up the possibilities for more than using it as a gun. As for the lamp bit, c'mon.

Reviews
(From RoadtoVR)

Sony has made a big deal in its marketing of the PSVR Aim controller about the ”precision," but the irony is that, while the shape of the device offers a good platform for a VR weapon, it doesn't feel any more precise than the Move controllers. And that makes sense as it's fundamentally based on the same tracking tech. And while I'd venture to guess that there's some improved IMUs inside the Aim controller compared to the 7 year old Move controller, it doesn't seem to be helping.

I'd say the Aim works reasonably well about 90% of the time. 8% of the time the virtual gun will drift several degrees in horizontal rotation compared to the real controller. The result is that the barrel of the virtual gun and the real controller are misaligned, which leads to the player needing to hold the gun at slightly awkward angles to compensate for the drift in the midst of combat. The remaining 2% of the time is prone to extreme drift where the gun rapidly drifts out of place and doesn't stop.

(From PlayStation Universe)

An excellent PlayStation VR peripheral that enhances first-person shooters. Feels comfortable to hold and the superb button layout means it's intuitive to use. Just got to hope that more games will support it.

SPECIAL THANKS

Sangetsu-II, for the incredible work he has done on the PSVR launch threads.

MattAces, for being proactive in bumping Farpoint/Aim related threads. This OT would be much smaller without you.

Please let me know if there are any mistakes or changes I need to make. Thanks for checking out the OT, and remember- survivors keep moving.

nikos

Farpoint with the PSVR Aim was fantastic when I tried it last year. The AIM controller worked really well.

Really hope Best Buy will have some bundles in-store. It's no longer available for preorder on their site for in-store pickup, so I'm a bit worried. Worst case scenario, I should be able to find it online.

Planet

Great thread! I just opened it and before I could be bothered to read any text, I saw a picture of my trusty old sharpshooter. I KNEW it would be just the same! Excellent, now I can skip that cashgrab ugly new version and go straight for the digital game.
trollface.png

Don't even have one, preordered the Aim bundle ages ago. Aimness awaits! :D

Burglekutt

Great OT. I have mine preordered. Cant wait til Tuesday. I see the OP says 4 multiplayer maps. Is multiplayer separate from the single player campaign?

ryseing

Great OT. I have mine preordered. Cant wait til Tuesday. I see the OP says 4 multiplayer maps. Is multiplayer separate from the single player campaign?

Yep, hence the distinction.

I'm sure assets will be shared and such but the SP and co-op are completely different experiences.

T-0800

I hope this is great but I have no faith in that gun controller to not suffer from drift problems like every move controller. Move is great for many things but not pointer controls.

iratA

Can't wait to pick mine up. Hope the rumble on the gun is punchy enough to provide that extra level of immersion, I mean, I know its not going to kick like a mule or anything. All the people who played this at E3 seemed really blown away by it. Early signs look good and knowing there is more content for this accessory in the pipeline is just icing on the cake.

Hasney

Liked seeing the RIGS plug in the OP. If you have PSVR and don't have RIGS, you are doing yourself a disservice.

RIGS is the best. I still play it near weekly.

As for Farpoinf, waiting on a bundle sale. Don't think I can justify full price just now.

MrBS

Well amazon hasn't charged me yet but the bundle is apparently still coming, woo? Time to get back into PSVR, I haven't really bothered with it since I beat REVII

cheesekao

I hope Sony incentivize devs that make non-VR FPS games to include support for the aim controller. It would be a missed opportunity to only have it work with VR games imo.

You earned it my friend. I think I have you on my PSN FL, so we'll definitely have to play together some time this week.

I hope we can man, all the shops near me are sold out on the Aim Bundle, I'm waiting to see if they restock it otherwise I'll just order it on Amazon.

Un4

Pre-ordered this yesterday. I'm pretty sure this will be the title to show VR to people that haven't experienced it yet.

I'm pretty excited for the future of PSVR and the aim controller. I can't wait to see what other dev's are working on.

WITHE1982

Just waiting on Amazon dispatching my bundle.

I'm from the UK so not expecting it to land until Wednesday. In the meantime I'll be glued to this thread to see if it's as good as early impression suggest.

Either way my Aim will be getting a lot of use with the 5 games announced to far.

KOHIPEET

I've been really sceptical about the game in the past weeks (I've pre ordered it in late march) but for some reason now I'm totally hyped. I don't know what have changed, but I'm glad anyway. The downside is that I probably don't get to play it till thursday, which sucks.

Top Bottom