• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Keighley: PS4 Used Game DRM (EDIT: but now apparently on hold)

I've fully expected them to do some sort of DRM for a while now,it's not a surprising notion, whether it's system wide or up to pubs is all I'm really interested in knowing.

I doubt it... It feels like it would go against there whole message of "Sharing". The whole being able to stream your games so people can watch you play and even play remotely seems the complete opposite direction of this insane DRM that MS is putting in.

They are simply just going to leave it up to the Devs and Pubs.

ironcreed

Banned
All the Wii U needs is games and it will be an extremely attractive option. Just a friendly gaming console, with none of this bullshit. I really hope they turn it around and pump out some games I'm interested in. I'll buy one without even thinking twice.

Majukun

if that happens,it's pc or wii u for me this gen...

wait..he suspects?
so no source?

so why the misleading title?

steveovig

If it ends up system wide, you have to think Sony figures they won't get all the criticism that Microsoft has gotten. They've seen that the competition is doing it and they figure it's now an even playing field with this idea. If Microsoft is doing it, they've got nothing to lose now. Now, they'll blend in and give in to all the greedy publishers who just want more and more money.

So those sources that Dorito Pope mentioned are talking out of their asses?

No. Sony did develop a tech. It's just not looking like they are gong to use it.

I'm going to cut and paste something I wrote in the original post this quote came from because it got buried and it isn't me talking out of my ass, it's me talking about things I've heard from the same people that told me (which i then posted here) the entire ps4 reveal first party line up.

____

I think people are overblowing that this is pressure from outside publishers. Im sure they want it... but the reason these things were ever investigated in the first place was because it would make Sony and MS more money. Not because they wanted to please their partners. That's just a nice bit of gravy on top.

Honestly though, I don't think either are going to happen. Im fairly certain that Sony has dropped their plans based on a few folks I've talked to. And even though I don't really like microsoft... they aren't stupid... they have plenty of time to roll this back. They already have been if you compare how restrictive the policy sounded on day one and what it sounds like now (with the inclusion of "we will have more to say later"). Basically the outrage is making everyone take another look at these things and see if its worthwhile. And I know a lot of people around here think that publishers are strong arming them into this... but as I explained above, they aren't, these are initiatives by sony and MS to make money for Sony and MS. If they feel like the consumer outrage will cut into their profits more than used games will... used games will be just like they were last gen. And that's what I expect to ultimately happen.

And this flies in the face all of the people saying "CALM DOWN, WAIT FOR E3!!!" The lesson here is not to calm down, it's too tell these companies you don't like what they are doing. Which means take off your fanboy hat for a second and join in letting whatever company you have a preference for know you aren't happy. If everyone was quiet after the MS reveal I can guarantee that both companies would be full steam ahead with restrictive policies. Hell, they would possibly be making them more restrictive.

iNvid02

dXi3Pbq.gif

but really i dont see it, there needs to be some online authentication for this and sony already came out with the "old school no internet required" statement

Bgamer90

Banned
True, they've dropped them for PS3 and 360 as well, right? Those console aren't getting any used game restrictions.

Yes, but those consoles are older and they probably don't care at this point.

After this year, the sequels to EA (sports) games on the PS3/Xbox 360 will more than likely be complete rehashes (with new rosters).

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Bottom line to me is this: If Sony supports this while trying to say "No, we left it up to the publishers, it's not mandatory!" They are still supporting it and they would be just as full of shit as MS.

If they are allowed, Sony will try to have their cake and eat it too.

He said "ive been hearing that playstation is going to have something similar."

It's no secret that Sony has a used game limitation system as well that's basically RFID. The question is whether they will implement it. A week ago I would have said yes. Now... I don't think they will. In fact i'm fairly certain of it.

I think famousmortimer has sources as well.

Kyoufu

EDGE were the ones who leaked the anti-used game DRM for Xbone right? They didn't say PS4 would do it too, correct?

E3 will be interesting.

Kusagari

I doubt it... It feels like it would go against there whole message of "Sharing". The whole being able to stream your games so people can watch you play and even play remotely seems the complete opposite direction of this insane DRM that MS is putting in.

They are simply just going to leave it up to the Devs and Pubs.

MS sounds like they're going to have almost the same features.

So I don't see how that goes against it.

stay gold

Ill wait til e3 before passing judgement as I don't really see Geoff as the most reliable source.

Pathetic if true though. Consumers paying because the higher ups at publishers don't know what the hell they're doing. As if blocking used games is going to stop them flushing millions down the toilet on shitty 'AAA' games.

Spongebob

Banned
EDGE were the ones who leaked the anti-used game DRM for Xbone right? They didn't say PS4 would do it too, correct?

E3 will be interesting.
There's a possibility that Sony had yet to make an internal decision on the matter, so no one knew either way.

Wazzy

Banned
I'm going to wait until something is officially announced before jumping ship. If they include the exact same policy as MS, I don't know if I can support Sony but I'm hoping that if they do go this route, they make it not as ridiculous like charging a full priced fee.

unbias

iOS is closed but prices are EXTREMELY competitive because publishers are free to adjust price on the fly and there's no influence from physical stores threatening to take away retail shelf space.

iOS is a service, not the same as a hardware manufacturer. There is competition outside of that particular service, through droid, windows, jail breaks and ect. iOS has to stay competitive with pricing because there is to much potential competition. MS, Sony, and Nintendo completely control the console market, the oligopoly this creates and will create even more without the 2nd hand market is just obvious.

You will not see the same value adjustments that the PC market has and you are kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

Arklite

Not doubting the possibility, but I kind of hope they don't just so we can see how things play out with publishers and console makers if the two most direct competitors have different policies. Would publishers really flock to DRM centric console or would public perception sway them to support both equally despite used sales.

Eusis

Bottom line to me is this: If Sony supports this while trying to say "No, we left it up to the publishers, it's not mandatory!" They are still supporting it and they would be just as full of shit as MS.

If they are allowed, Sony will try to have their cake and eat it too.
Well, if this ends up being just "we're leaving it up to publishers but won't mandate it" then, hopefully, we can at least make a point to avoid problem publishers and possibly send the message it's not crap we will deal with, not on consoles at any rate.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
If Sony didn't go with something like this, Microsoft would have had a big edge with third-party publishers. I think they'll announce this soon along with other details, probably at E3. While this is unsurprising, it's not clear whether their method of restricting used games will be same as the one Microsoft will employ.

Drencrom

Sad if true, pretty sure this is a thing some publishers (EA, Acti) asked for as a option to use on their games and Sony couldn't deny them doing that if they wanted to have their games on the system :/

Anyway, this could just be a ruse but I wouldn't be surprised if it's true.

aganu

Will wait to hear from Sony.

But as it stands, anyone expecting PS4 or XB1 to be free from any sort of used game DRM is fooling themselves. They WILL have them. How? To what degree? Only time will tell. EA didn't kill online passes for the good of us consumers.

E3 will be interesting.

IIRC, Orbis was the one that had the original rumors of it blocking used games, and Durango followed shortly thereafter. That's why it was one of the big questions at their Reveal event.

However, we really should just wait for E3 to get the official word from both MS and Sony.

Brannon

No way Sony does a system-wide lock, I mean, MS may not care about Japan, but Sony sure does, and this would kill them and hurt the Vita even more if they can't get people to pair them up because they won't buy the PS4.

Squire

Banned
I honestly don't see what's so bad about it, although... I don't know, I guess in a way I can understand all the rage. I also hated Steam at first, but then both Steam and my expectations changed, so now I'm totally fine with it. The transition will be painful to some, but I fully expect good things to come out of this in the long run, both for us and the studios we love and don't want to see closed over poor business performance. No resale of used games without a cut going to publishers is not going to save them, but in some cases it's certainly going to help.

I don't know how it will shake out, but to start I think of it as one of the things that comes with a new generation that is bad news to start, but could ultimately be no big deal.

Carl

if it's mandatory, i guess i'm sticking with PS3

If it's up to publishers, i guess i'm not buying games from any publisher that does this shit.

Either way i save a lot of money next gen :)

Einbroch

Banned
lol. And please tell me how you expect to rent games on your PC? Oh right, you can't.
That edit.

I use GameFly, but since no console/system will support this if the rumors are true, I might as well go to the system that has the cheapest games, competition, no used sales price floor, and unlimited BC. Oh, and I already have a PC, so it's cheaper for me to upgrade than buy a new console.

I feel like a broken record.

cluderi

Too late for this thread. People already wanting Sony's head from one speculated statement by Geoff of all fucking people.

Some will but I'm waiting for Sony to say it.

If they leave the decision at the publisher level then it's fine for me, I can pretty much guarantee I'm not buying an EA title again used or new.

Top Bottom