• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox first-party is "critical" for Scorpio, says Spencer (Gamesindustry.biz)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synth

Yes, Double Helix would've been on the short list for external developers that a publisher could go to for a medium-production-value game in established IP. In 2010, their previous projects included work-for-hire on Front Mission, Silent Hill, Star Wars, and many more.

No sorry, but this is bullshit. Whilst it's true that Double Helix would have fit the requirements for such a suggestion at the time... they came to absolutely nobody's mind prior to the announcement. This whole MS vs Sony first party exclusive "where will the games come from? they shut down everybody" dance has been going on for a long time, including prior to the reveal or launch of the XB1. Not once did I ever see Double Helix's name uttered in such a context, because nobody had them on any sort of radar back then and even if their name came to mind, nobody would have believed they could have been given an important project and not fuck it up. Furthermore, if prior to Killer Instinct's reveal I had said to you "Double Helix could be working on something"... not only would you have probably mocked the suggestion outright, but then you probably would also have pointed to the recently announced Strider as being what they were preoccupied with.

You can easily verify this by searching these forums. Prior to Killer Instinct's announcement, Double Helix's name wasn't uttered once (and neither was Armature's) in a Microsoft related thread. The closest any sort of prediction was that one thread where someone asked Not to be a jerk, but how do some of these devs keep getting work?

But sure... tell yourself you'd have called Double Helix developing one MS' more important launch titles back then.

By the way...
Creative Assembly - With Ensemble shut down, they're one of very few options that could've been hired to make Halo Wars 2.

Is actually a good argument for how unpredictable such a partnership can be. Halo Wars is the first project Creative Assembly has done for a publisher other than Sega since they were acquired back in 2005. The only reason why Creative Assembly would ever come to mind as a potential partner is because a Halo Wars game already existed, and you'd possibly try to imagine who could make a sequel. If Ensemble hadn't already made a Halo Wars game, no way in hell would you be thinking "MS could be working with Creative Assembly". By that logic, you'd effectively be able to call all of E3's announcements right now, because you'd know not only what the mercenary teams are working on (and how many of them are dedicated to each project), but also what any studio under a larger publisher is also working on.

Valve aren't a console platform holder.

They are a platform holder though, the lack of a device doesn't mean a whole lot. The first two PlayStations would have still killed everything else, just off third-party support.

If you want a closer comparison... then Apple's been doing pretty well too.

spannicus

Those aren't selling well because they aren't great.

There's not too much difference between Sony and MS gamers. They want great games. The first party isn't delivering it but it doesn't mean that they should blame the installbase for it.

If they did follow that reasoning (our installbase isn't buying these type of games so we should focus on games as service) then they are truly fucked.
Both Sunset Overdrive and Quantum break were great to me. Opinions and all that. Im only human afterall.
Truth is Sony owns more studios than Microsoft, ofcourse they are gonna deliver more 1st party games. I think phil is on a budget due to the higher ups. Grey balls hair dont care, gimmie dat Geerz oh wah.

I'm surprised people are still willing to defend MS on this. They barely take any first party risks anymore and now sony has a lock on the majority of third party games from japan.

So only great games are supposed to sell? QB was at 78 MC Andy sunset was 81 MC. Those aren't. Ad games like you are trying to portray

Both are high budget AAA titles that were financed to at least be 'great' games for the Xbox. It's safe to assume everyone hoped the sales and critical response to the games were much higher than what happened.

Both Sunset Overdrive and Quantum break were great to me. Opinions and all that. Im only human afterall.

I'm not saying it's wrong that you love those games though, but if things were better critically for both games everyone would be more optimistic about what's coming for the Xbox.

spannicus

Both are high budget AAA titles that were financed to at least be 'great' games for the Xbox. It's safe to assume everyone hoped the sales and critical response to the games were much higher than what happened.

I'm not saying it's wrong that you love those games though, but if things were better critically for both games everyone would be more optimistic about what's coming for the Xbox.
Yeah i understand and wished they did alot better. Sucks because the future of both titles is questionable.

Bgamer90

Banned
I mean, that's all very well and good, but I don't think it's working. This is a business and I think it would make a great deal of sense to stop, pause, and to think about whether Halo 6 is going to be better for their business than a great new IP they can really properly put their weight behind. If they truly believe Halo 6 is the more sensible choice, they obviously have no faith in their studios. The Last of Us was made by Sony's best studio as opposed to them quickly pumping out the fourth Uncharted game. I wonder what 343i could do if they were given the opportunity to make something different, but I suspect we'll never know.

Nintendo no longer making Mario would be madness - but that's because Mario is the biggest thing on Nintendo platforms. Halo and Gears aren't anywhere near the biggest things on Microsoft's platforms. There was a time where Halo and Gears were massive franchises that dominated sales, reviews, and play-time charts.

It's ten years ago.

There's still a large audience that likes those games and expects them on Xbox so completely ditching them would not be the smart thing to do. Mario is still the biggest thing on Nintendo platforms in part because Nintendo doesn't have any AAA third party support.

Third party has taken over console gaming and really no console exclusives are as big as how they were 10+ years ago do to it. Those games are still helping console sales because people expect them though. Xbox One beat PS4 in NPD during Gears of War 4's launch as well as Halo 5's launch. It wouldn't be financially smart to completely end them. They should simply come up with new stuff alongside it.

W.S.

Those aren't selling well because they aren't great.

There's not too much difference between Sony and MS gamers. They want great games. The first party isn't delivering it but it doesn't mean that they should blame the installbase for it.

If they did follow that reasoning (our installbase isn't buying these type of games so we should focus on games as service) then they are truly fucked.
I think Sunset Overdrive & Quantum Break's sales misses can be attributed to reasons other than "they aren't great".

At the time of SSO's release Xbox was still trying to recover from their tarnished image from the reveal & the 900p/resolution gate stuff didn't help at all. I also know of a few people whom acknowledged SSO's quality but either the mechanics, the humor, or a combination of both didn't appeal to them.

Quantum Break had a similar image problem with the whole 720p checkerboard solution which certain people are conveniently okay with now on other platforms. Another possible hurdle was that it had no multiplayer driven components to make useage of XBL. I was okay with it to a degree because multi wasn't something Remedy typically put into their games but it can certainly be seen as a misssed opportunity for MS's whole continued revenue/service driven angle.

Regardless of what people thought of them those two games were genuine efforts to bring new IP's to the platform owned or not.

mike4001_

Honestly I don't get the exclusive games fear that people have for Microsoft.

Halo MCC
Halo 5
Sunset Overdrive
Quantum Break
Killer Instinct
Rare Replay
Forza Motorsport 5
Forza Motorsport 6
Forza Horizon 2
Forza Horizon 3
Sea of Thieves
Crackdown 3
ORI and the Blind Forest
Halo Wars 2
Gears of War Ultimate Edition
Gears of War 4
Cuphead
Voodoo Vince Remaster
Tacoma
State of Decay 2
Phantom Dust

And likely more I've missed.

People are overplaying this "issue".

=>

Sunset Overdrive
Quantum Break
Crackdown 3
State of Decay 2

I removed all HALO/Gears/Forza and small budget/Indie titles for you.

Bgamer90

Banned
I think Sunset Overdrive & Quantum Break's sales misses can be attributed to reasons other than "they aren't great".

At the time of SSO's release Xbox was still trying to recover from their tarnished image from the reveal & the 900p/resolution gate stuff didn't help at all. I also know of a few people whom acknowledged SSO's quality but either the mechanics, the humor, or a combination of both didn't appeal to them.

Quantum Break had a similar image problem with the whole 720p checkerboard solution which certain people are conveniently okay with now on other platforms. Another possible hurdle was that it had no multiplayer driven components to make useage of XBL. I was okay with it to a degree because multi wasn't something Remedy typically put into their games but it can certainly be seen as a misssed opportunity for MS's whole continued revenue/service driven angle.

Regardless of what people thought of them those two games were genuine efforts to bring new IP's to the platform owned or not.

I think Sunset was more about it releasing during a busy time. Microsoft should have either made more of those white Xbox One SKUs or they should have simply set Sunset to Q1 2015.

Quantum Break would have done better if it launched earier in the gen I think. It launched at a time in which many Xbox One owners had many games to play. It was one of the rare cases this gen in which a new IP on Xbox had a lot of hype early on but the multiple delays really hurt it.

SOR5

=>

You see, I'm not a listwar man, but your implication is that only AAA is worthwhile when I'd pick Ori and KI a thousand times over ME Andromeda and the new Ghost Recon

Hoo-doo

Banned
You see, I'm not a listwar man, but your implication is that only AAA is worthwhile when I'd pick Ori and KI a thousand times over ME Andromeda and the new Ghost Recon

As would any sane gamer, both those AAA games you mentioned are very mediocre.

mike4001_

I loved Ori and also favour it to many AAA games.

I just wanted to make a point that Xbox is indeed lacking in AAA titles which are not HALO/Gears/Forza

W.S.

=>

Why take out KI though? It was a successful revival that's gotten more support than probably ever expected.

Why take out Ori? It's their most succesful new IP smaller budget or not. ReCore is an attempt at a new IP despite the way it was released.

W.S.

I think Sunset was more about it releasing during a busy time. Microsoft should have either made more of those white Xbox One SKUs or they should have simply set Sunset to Q1 2015.

Quantum Break would have done better if it launched earier in the gen I think. It launched at a time in which many Xbox One owners had many games to play. It was one of the rare cases this gen in which a new IP on Xbox had a lot of hype early on but the multiple delays really hurt it.
Oh yeah that was big too, bad release schedule impacted it heavily. It's sad that SSO had so many things going against it. Kind of a wrong place at the wrong time type of scenario.

Wagram

Honestly I don't get the exclusive games fear that people have for Microsoft.

Halo MCC
Halo 5
Sunset Overdrive
Quantum Break
Killer Instinct
Rare Replay
Forza Motorsport 5
Forza Motorsport 6
Forza Horizon 2
Forza Horizon 3
Sea of Thieves
Crackdown 3
ORI and the Blind Forest
Halo Wars 2
Gears of War Ultimate Edition
Gears of War 4
Cuphead
Voodoo Vince Remaster
Tacoma
State of Decay 2
Phantom Dust

And likely more I've missed.

People are overplaying this "issue".

Half the list are old franchises. If you aren't a fan by now or you've fallen off the wagon. This list is depressing.

Ushay

Half the list are old franchises. If you aren't a fan by now or you've fallen off the wagon. This list is depressing.

There is always an insistance on 'lists'. Quality is way more important before quantity, something MS obviosuly needs to do given their postion.

If they can bring some serious quality with Scoprio I'd say they are looking at a hit.Imagine the flip side where they have many games but of lower qualty? I'd rather they had fewer high quality games with longer lifespans (via a multiplayer mode to supplement a top single player campaign).

Well said, I agree 100%

A lot of Xbox games have suffered lower sales due to the missteps of 2013 and the subsequent thrashing from the gaming media and fanboys. SSOD & QB were great games and definitely genuine efforts to bring new IP's to Xbox. They deserved better sales but were literally trashed daily (pre & post launch) on the web by folks interested only in clicks to their website or folks who had no intention of purchasing them. Those games had to fight an uphill battle from the start and actually did fairly well considering the circumstances.

Hoo-doo

Banned
dude bro.. I have to ask.. why do you always come in xbox threads and stink it up? pm me

Because I like video games and discussing them.
You'll find that my posting habits are rather platform-agnostic.

What exactly did I 'stink up' in here? If my points are unfounded then provide me with a different perspective, because that's how discussions work.

What exactly did I 'stink up' in here? If my points are unfounded then provide me with a different perspective, because that's how discussions work.

how many hrs of xbox games have you played in the past year? lol. dude I get it. just stop being salty

gamz

LOL!

Come on! I always took your post as very anti-MS and Pro-Apple and PS. Even in the Off Topic section.

how many hrs of xbox games have you played in the past year? lol. dude I get it. just stop being salty

He didn't say anything out of pocket, those are mediocre games. People keep listing games that consists of launch titles... It's games on ps4 that came out last week that's better than both sunset and QB.

I'm not a MS hater or heckler either, but what I don't get is..
The reason Xbox gamers keep getting nothing but sequels or whatever is because people keep telling MS its fine or you are fine with the lineup.
That's all you ever gonna get then.

He didn't say anything out of pocket, those are mediocre games. People keep listing games that consists of launch titles... It's games on ps4 that came out last week that's better than both sunset and QB.

I'm not a MS hater or heckler either, but what I don't get is..
The reason Xbox gamers keep getting nothing but sequels or whatever is because people keep telling MS its fine or you are fine with the lineup.
That's all you ever gonna get then.
I agree. Ms has put out nothing that I like. I just don't shit on things that I don't have. That's all.

538.gif

When it comes to people that hate MS, you are as obvious as they come. It's okay.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Like it or not, Xbox is part of a larger gaming industry and I'll discuss any goings-on within that industry regardless of platform.
I don't need to shell out 200$ on a black rectangle to be able to comment on pretty obvious news and developments concerning Xbox. It's even less necessary now all Xbox games are coming to PC anyway, which is my platform of choice.

But I repeat, what exactly did I say that was out of line?

If you're curious, I think the last Xbox game I played was Lost Odyssey, little over a year ago. I still need to finish that game. And our 360 is still putting in work as a FIFA machine in the living room.
Also, you guys should really look up in which context the word 'salty' should be used. Because you're not making any sense.

LOL!

Come on! I always took your post as very anti-MS and Pro-Apple and PS. Even in the Off Topic section.

I am pro-Apple seeing as I love using their products. And i'm very anti-Windows 10 for a lot of reasons.
Everyone has their likes and dislikes. That doesn't take away the fact that my primary console at the start of last generation was the Xbox 360, or how i'm using Windows 10 right now and I hate it. Or that i'm typing this on a Microsoft designer keyboard. Or that Halo 3 was probably the most hyped i've been for any game in the world. Things change.

Like it or not, Xbox is part of a larger gaming industry and I'll discuss any goings-on within that industry regardless of platform.
I don't need to shell out 200$ on a black rectangle to be able to comment on pretty obvious news and developments concerning Xbox. It's even less necessary now all Xbox games are coming to PC anyway, which is my platform of choice.

If you're curious, I think the last Xbox game I played was Lost Odyssey, little over a year ago. I still need to finish that game. And our 360 is still putting in work as a FIFA machine in the living room.
Also, you guys should really look up in which context the word 'salty' should be used. Because you're not making any sense.

dude add me on steam. righthandmouse you are so full of shit that it's not even funny anymore. I'm surprised no one else called you out yet. btw I hate ms sony and Nintendo.

edit.. righthandmoose on steam.

W.S.

I'm not depressed by the list at all, plenty are of good to high quality. The Horizon series are different from Motorsport and even each other since they take place in different locales and make lots of improvements.

Halo Wars is an RTS so sharing the Halo name doesn't affect the different gameplay it has to offer from the mainline Halo games.

However I will never disagree that MS should be putting out a higher quantity of new IP's and sequels/remakes to fan favorites.

No sorry, but this is bullshit. Whilst it's true that Double Helix would have fit the requirements for such a suggestion at the time... they came to absolutely nobody's mind prior to the announcement.
I'm not sure you've read my posts, because you seem to be shadowboxing with a position I've never taken. I have explicitly said that these sort of projects are unpredictable. There's an immense amount of existing IP that could be revived or extended (not to mention new IP), and no way to say precisely which studio will be tasked with it.

My point was that, though the specifics can't be foreseen, there isn't an infinite amount of resources to pull from. As you say, Double Helix fit the bill, and the potential pool of such devs for a AAA game is not huge. This provides a basis for discussion.

Again, let me be clear: I believe that Microsoft will announce new games from third-party partners at E3, and some will be timed or completely exclusive. However, I think it's fundamentally uninteresting and unproductive to make that statement alone, without specifics. That's declamation, not conversation; the forum is for the latter.

Everyone would be better served if people stopped trading subjective insults about established successes like Halo and subjective hopes about a vague better future. The more grounded the statements--trying to find ways forward for old ideas, or positing specific sources of new ones--the less likely that discussion will just spin in an endless, meaningless gyre.

And yes, people's predictions will probably be wrong (including my own, earlier). But that doesn't mean they're not of greater value than hand-waving oracles of "something, but who knows what".

killatopak

dude add me on steam. righthandmouse you are so full of shit that it's not even funny anymore. I'm surprised no one else called you out yet. btw I hate ms sony and Nintendo.

If you can't handle a level headed discussion, you might as well stop posting unless this escalates further. No need to attack the person if you don't agree with his views. Present a reasonable argument yourself if you want to prove a point.

Trago

I'm not depressed by the list at all, plenty are of good to high quality. The Horizon series are different from Motorsport and even each other since they take place in different locales and make lots of improvements.

Halo Wars is an RTS so sharing the Halo name doesn't affect the different gameplay it has to offer from the mainline Halo games.

However I will never disagree that MS should be putting out a higher quantity of new IP's and sequels/remakes to fan favorites.

I agree, but like I said before, since it seems like their A-teams aren't gonna work on anything else, we should realistically look to second party titles for new AAA stuff ala Sunset, Quantum Break, and Recore. Thing is, we can't predict any of that kind of stuff right now, because we don't know who Microsoft will work with next. I mean for fuck sake they got Creative Assembly to work on a Halo game. I find myself more excited at potential partnerships with different developers than their actual first party output because we can at least expect new stuff.

If you can't handle a level headed discussion, you might as well stop posting unless this escalates further. No need to attack the person if you don't agree with his views. Present a reasonable argument yourself if you want to prove a point.

attack? I asked him to add me on steam. jesus Christ I am out

Fredrik

I loved Ori and also favour it to many AAA games.

I just wanted to make a point that Xbox is indeed lacking in AAA titles which are not HALO/Gears/Forza
Why ignore Halo/Gears/Forza though??? Makes zero sense. It's like saying that Nintendo lacks AAA first party games which are not Mario/Zelda/Pokémon. If the games are great then who cares if we've seen the IPs before? And Forza is AAA like few others in the racing genre, the fact that we've seen 2 great main serie Forza and 2 equally great or even greater spinoff Forza games this generation is imo pretty amazing really. I mean, in comparison, look at how well the competition is doing... :/ We actually got a hardware upgrade before we even saw the first Gran Turismo this gen and we saw one Mario Kart on WiiU and we'll get a WiiU port of MK8 on Switch. :p

killatopak

Why ignore Halo/Gears/Forza though??? Makes zero sense. It's like saying that Nintendo lacks AAA first party games which are not Mario/Zelda/Pokémon. If the games are great then who cares if we've seen the IPs before? And Forza is AAA like few others in the racing genre, the fact that we've seen 2 great main serie Forza and 2 equally great or even greater spinoff Forza games this generation is imo pretty amazing really. I mean, in comparison, look at how well the competition is doing... :/ We actually got a hardware upgrade before we even saw the first Gran Turismo this gen and we saw one Mario Kart on WiiU and we'll get a WiiU port of MK8 on Switch. :p

Difference between Nintendo and MS is the various genre switching their main IP has. Is there a racing game Halo? A fighting game Gears of War? An RPG? How about an arena fighter? An open world game? Etc.

Hoo-doo

Banned

To do what? To duel in UT2K4 to figure out who won the angry internet argument?

This thread is going places. And by the way, I don't 'hate' MS, Sony or Nintendo. I've owned many great products of all three companies.
I just call stuff like I see it and try to remain level-headed while doing so.

Maybe it's the smug avatar that sets people off?

Difference between Nintendo and MS is the various genre switching their main IP has. Is there a racing game Halo? A fighting game Gears of War? An RPG? How about an arena fighter? An open world game? Etc.

Did Phil say that they were interested on making Gears of War explore other genres? And there are some Halo games that escape the shooter genre (Halo Wars and Spartan Strike come to mind). I do get your point though, a franchise like Halo has potential for many different experiments.

Well said, I agree 100%

A lot of Xbox games have suffered lower sales due to the missteps of 2013 and the subsequent thrashing from the gaming media and fanboys. SSOD & QB were great games and definitely genuine efforts to bring new IP's to Xbox. They deserved better sales but were literally trashed daily (pre & post launch) on the web by folks interested only in clicks to their website or folks who had no intention of purchasing them. Those games had to fight an uphill battle from the start and actually did fairly well considering the circumstances.

I honestly don't believe that "resolution-gate" was the main reason for those games under-performing. I mean yeah people talked about it and whatnot, but it definitely didn't tank the games. It's not like they were the only games that had to deal with it.

As far as Quantum Break goes, there was hardly any discussion about it at all it seemed like. People just kind of... forgot about it.

In the end, both games didn't do that well because they weren't appealing enough or exceptional enough to stand out. Though to be fair, it seems like SSOD did far better than QB, even if it wasn't a mega-hit.

attack? I asked him to add me on steam. jesus Christ I am out

Ushay

I am pro-Apple seeing as I love using their products. And i'm very anti-Windows 10 for a lot of reasons.
Everyone has their likes and dislikes. That doesn't take away the fact that my primary console at the start of last generation was the Xbox 360, or how i'm using Windows 10 right now and I hate it. Or that i'm typing this on a Microsoft designer keyboard. Or that Halo 3 was probably the most hyped i've been for any game in the world. Things change.

They do indeed. They way I see it, everyone is going have a stance with MS products and software, good or bad. It's their job to convince people like you to jump in again.

However one thing I truly despise on these forums is people incapable of being objective, and blindly hating/liking a brand. I've seen a fair few, and Hoo-Doo ain't one of them.

killatopak

Did Phil say that they were interested on making Gears of War explore other genres? And there are some Halo games that escape the shooter genre (Halo Wars and Spartan Strike come to mind). I do get your point though, a franchise like Halo has potential for many different experiments.

If they manage to make an Fallout like Halo game, I think it would do amazingly well. Explore the lore and intricacies of the world. There's tons of material in the books. I don't see why they can't do it.

To do what? To duel in UT2K4 to figure out who won the angry internet argument?

This thread is going places. And by the way, I don't 'hate' MS, Sony or Nintendo. I've owned many great products of all three companies.
I just call stuff like I see it and try to remain level-headed while doing so.

Maybe it's the smug avatar that sets people off?

I think it's the avatar...just looking at it makes me angry

There are a few doing the same shit he does and typically show up in a thread around the same time, just use the ignore feature and go on with your day.

Trago

They do indeed. They way I see it, everyone is going have a stance with MS products and software, good or bad. It's their job to convince people like you to jump in again.

However one thing I truly despise on these forums is people incapable of being objective, and blindly hating/liking a brand.

I mean, you'll get that with console warriors pumping up their favorite console manufacture in thread after thread, but that doesn't mean that we can't have a discussion about some of the problems we might have with said console maker. And for what it's worth, several Xbox heads, including Phil, agree that the first party situation could be better.

I don't think there are people on this forum who want to see the Xbox and its first party crash and burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom