• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox first-party is "critical" for Scorpio, says Spencer (Gamesindustry.biz)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alx

I said Xbox One family.

Why limit it to the Xbox One ? The whole purpose of their Platform unification is to get rid of the focus on a specific console iteration. "Xbox family" overlaps 360 (through BC), Xbox One/OneS, PC and soon Scorpio. There never was a "Xbox One Family", since there's only one Xbox One.

Widge

I'm sorry but I've never seen this evidenced in recent history of Microsoft.

First party is important for them, in the launch window. Outside of that, it is looking to win the third party attach rate game.

I can't see them deviating from this for Scorpio.

I don't see Rare announcing a new AAA game before SoT has been released or is at the very least close to release.

Maybe from an external studio?

Yeah that's more likely, like Sunset Overdrive.

But haven't there been rumors a while ago that Rare was working on multiple projects?

StereoVsn

I hate to break it you but the UK is the only country in Europe where the Xbox One has anything resembling an equal retail presence with PS4. 8:2 is horrible. In other European countries the gap was even bigger. It's impossible to argue that FFXV on Xbox One was anything other than a massive flop.
Well, I think it was worth the port for SE as they probably sold 1 million copies on Xbone. However, that's for FFXV which sold over 6 million copies in just something like 3 months.

Any other JRPG (maybe with exception of KH3) is not going to pull close to those numbers. And the ratio would probably be even worse. So Nier which sold quite well for that series wouldn't likely see more then 100K sales out of Xbone of that. Would that be worth the port? Maybe not unless MS paid.

SE is the likeliest of anyone to port games to Xbone so FFXII has a possibility since you know PC version is coming as well. Maybe Nier too.

Anything else is not going to happen, IMO, unless MS pays for he port.

oti

Banned
Why limit it to the Xbox One ? The whole purpose of their Platform unification is to get rid of the focus on a specific console iteration. "Xbox family" overlaps 360 (through BC), Xbox One/OneS, PC and soon Scorpio. There never was a "Xbox One Family", since there's only one Xbox One.

Scorpio is a better Xbox One. That's all there is to it.

Feorax

Microsoft need to at least match Sony this E3 to get the excitement for Scorpio where it needs to be. It might happen, but I've seen nothing to give me any confidence it will.

Sony have pretty much mastered how to generate excitement and interest this generation, whilst MS seem to just be flopping around Magikarp-esque whilst throwing out interviews like this to make it seem like they have some sort of plan.

Xbox One has been around since 2013 and we're yet to see any real indication of them getting a grip of this generation imo.

Leflus

Yeah that's more likely, like Sunset Overdrive.

But haven't there been rumors a while ago that Rare was working on multiple projects?
I'm sure they have a prototype team in one of their barns, but I really doubt they're working on multiple games at the same time.

Rare is a medium-sized studio by modern standards, and Sea of Thieves is an ambitious project.

Why can nintendo get away with releasing Mario, Pokémon and Zelda every year for the last 2 decades but Microsoft cant

Because they also have new ips such as splatoon, arms, etc, and aren't afraid to change the formula of their big games (Breath of the Wild). Even their popular franchises can feel like different games from game to game as they're not afraid to change up gameplay. It's not really hard to understand.

wapplew

No. They built up their studios to do exactly that.

That's not a bad thing.
They could make spin-off for Halo and Gears, they've successfully make Forza spin-off that on par if not more popular than mainline.
It's a great strategy, Nintendo is super successful by doing that. Next Halo/Gears/Forza spin-off could be their Mario Kart.

Alx

Scorpio is a better Xbox One. That's all there is to it.

And I thought that's what people expected from console iterations ? "Fuck your gimmicks, just give me a more powerful console", well there it is.
The base of the concept is compatibility. The fact that Scorpio is more powerful is obvious and expected, what's interesting is that XB1 and Scorpio are cross-compatible, and even more so that Scorpio and "Scorpio 2" should also. The concept of "Xbox family" is to erase the barriers between platforms and generations.

Honestly though, if a franchise like FF15 cannot obtain average to admirable sales on the XBox, I do not think any Japanese game can.

Out of interest, do we know how MGSV did on Xbox; what kind of platform split it had? I expect that would have been among their best overall market share.

I'm out of the loop slightly. This isn't going to be the xbox one.5, Like the PS4 pro? Sounds like they're just going to make a new gen of consoles.

It is basically the Xbox One Pro, but with more power. Will still be playing the same games, and all of its games are playable on the regular Xbone as well.

He's saying the right things and not delivering. I guess it's difficult because it's going to take a long time to build strong first parties.

They've been in the industry for 17 years! How much longer do they need to build a suite of first-party studios?!

They published Sunset Overdrive.

Sure, but since then I believe they've said they want to be moving away from funding external IPs. It's supposedly the reason why negotiations broke down on Ryse 2 - MS would not fund it unless Crytek sold them the IP, and Crytek refused so the sequel fell apart with nobody to pay for its development.

I expect Microsoft's E3 to be dominated by Scorpio and their subscription service. Next will be whatever franchise they have a deal with to get dlc first.

That would be a terrible idea. They need to show games, games, games. Fire out a string of live demos to show the amazing software that's coming to the Xbox family and will not be available on other platforms. I feel like if they focus too much on hardware or on having the best versions of third-party games it's not really going to move the needle much besides the Xbox diehards.

Well it seems that Scorpio is screwed then.

Phil better start drafting his CV. He dodged a bullet with the poor Xbox one sales performance by pinning the blame on Mattrick. But the failure of Scorpio will be down to him.

Realistically they're not going to turn this ship around with the studios they have. The division already seems to be in severe cost cutting mode.

etta

my hard graphic balls
"I want to give our games more time on stage at E3, I sometimes feel like we rush telling the story of our games at E3," he said.

There may be hope yet.

RowdyReverb

And I thought that's what people expected from console iterations ? "Fuck your gimmicks, just give me a more powerful console", well there it is.
The base of the concept is compatibility. The fact that Scorpio is more powerful is obvious and expected, what's interesting is that XB1 and Scorpio are cross-compatible, and even more so that Scorpio and "Scorpio 2" should also. The concept of "Xbox family" is to erase the barriers between platforms and generations.
I think it's confusing because people keep likening it to Sony's strategy with the PS4 Pro. While similar in the cross-compatibility aspect, the overarching strategies are different. While Sony seemingly plans to launch a next gen PS5 at some point in the future and cutting free from the PS4, Microsoft seems to prefer the idea of releasing cross compatible hardware iterations every few years, making it an apples to oranges comparison.

Out of interest, do we know how MGSV did on Xbox; what kind of platform split it had? I expect that would have been among their best overall market share.

Don't quote me on this, but I think it was something like 70/30 or 80/20 split with the 70% to 80% favoring the PS4 if i remember correctly.

Sneaking suspicion that Xbox Souls or Nioh style variant is coming. That would be a start.

To really get me though, hit me with that Lost Odyssey sequel, bruh.

I think the unexpected success of FFXV on XB1 gave them a lot more pull at the negotiating table when it comes to JP developed games. I could see them getting a number of late port announcements and a few day 1 release announcements for future releases.

What success?
Did I miss some news with sales numbers other than usual 2x % split in UK ?

Source here: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...st-party-is-critical-for-scorpio-says-spencer

giphy-downsized-large.gif

lmfao I've come to both dread and adore these Xbox threads lately.. The execution of these gifs combined with the doom and gloom drama is hilarious.

MarveI

"I want to give our games more time on stage at E3, I sometimes feel like we rush telling the story of our games at E3," - Phil Spencer.

Really ? I hope I'm reaching here but this is a bit worrying. First of all I never feel like they've rushed at all during E3, if anything they overstayed their welcome with too much filler stuff they could've cut to spend on other games. But they did it because they didn't have much else going on. And secondly telling what stories ? I love my xbox but they don't really have games with good stories unless you talk about Inside and i'm not sure that qualifies as ''our games''. When you look at their most AAA games, stories are their weakest point. It's multiplayer, gameplay etc. Never really a competent story. So for me this is worrying because none of the games coming up, aside maybe SOD, warrants that quote. And finally the most worrying part of it is it implies that they're going to spend a lot of time on their games at E3 so they're going to stretch it out which isn't really something that aligns with your expectations of seeing a lot of new stuff. ''Hey we don't have too many games to show off at E3 so instead we're going to focus a lot more and spend a lot more time on the few we have''. I hope that isn't the case. And if it is those games better be darn good to warrant that.

Let's hope they have some great games lined up with great storylines. Am I hopeful ? No not really.

Synth

Because they also have new ips such as splatoon, arms, etc, and aren't afraid to change the formula of their big games (Breath of the Wild). Even their popular franchises can feel like different games from game to game as they're not afraid to change up gameplay. It's not really hard to understand.

Zelda probably isn't the best game to bring up when talking about changing up gameplay, when you consider that Breath of the Wild is most notable for being the first major change to the formula in two decades. And that's to say nothing of Pokémon.

jelly

And a 5 hour endurance run of Nordschleife in Forza Motorsport 7 in real time XD.

That wouldn't be a bad segment but just a lap. From my PGR2 days, not the most faithful track, about 7 mins. Stick in a day, night, weather cycle throughout. Forza 7, coming Fall 2017.

PSOreo

Spencer was just a great and hype inducing choice for the Xbox division when he moved up in his role. He's done a lot and a great job at steering the ship around in terms of the perception of the XboxOne from its initial launch to where it is now. However at this point it feels like there isn't much in the way of great first party support or exclusive titles for the XO. I don't see how this will change anything this late in the game unless they are truly pushing the Scorpio as a new generation of console.

Ratros

I love Phil, but nice words have their limits.

I understand that new IP takes time to develop and to be honest Mattrick didn't leave much for Phil to inherit, but he does need to hurry up. The old cows (GoW, Halo, Fable and Forza) are pretty much milked dry.

Dredd97

Hey Rex of the following which do you think are most likely:

Tales of Berseria
Nioh
Nier 2
Persona 5
Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 Remix
Ni No Kuni 2
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age

Thanks in Advance!

Ni No Kuni 2 and Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age are Playstation exclusives anyway I think..
FF XII has a chance of being on the PC but it won't becoming to the xbox one / scorpio

MarveI

Why can nintendo get away with releasing Mario, Pokémon and Zelda every year for the last 2 decades but Microsoft cant

Look at their ratings (quality). If Halo 5, Gears 4 had metacritics of 90+ no one would say anything about them. MS is milking those franchises while Nintendo is genuinely doing their best to deliver a great game first and foremost. One makes games with love, passion and the other does it to cash in on the name first and foremost. The downfall of those 2 is quite obvious. That's my view on it.

T-0800

What does rebuilding XBL etc have to do with making games? The people working on those things aren't the ones who then make the games.

MisterR

I feel like it's time for less talk and more results from Spencer. He's great at telling people what they want to hear, but I've yet to see much in the way of results.

MS needs to moneyhat some big titles at E3 if they want to compete with Sony.

Not gonna happen. At best they'll grab one from somewhere.
Which publishers want to ignore 50+ million PS4's out there.

The same applies to Sony the other way round imo (not to mention they don't need money hats anyway)

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
There's not a lot to say that hasn't already been said in this thread; this is all just talk until there's any evidence to back it up. My overwhelming hunch is that we're not going to see any kind of grand change from MS wrt first party stuff and that what he means is the usual IP factories will remain an important part of their MO going forward.

Feorax

There's not a lot to say that hasn't already been said in this thread; this is all just talk until there's any evidence to back it up. My overwhelming hunch is that we're not going to see any kind of grand change from MS wrt first party stuff and that what he means is the usual IP factories will remain an important part of their MO going forward.

That in itself raises an interesting question as to how long this status quo can be maintained? If this is all MS will do for the foreseeable future, then what is their overall objective for Xbox?

massucci

Banned
The split was a much much smaller margin than pretty much everyone assumed it would be. It shows there is a market for Japanese games on XB1

Which is fantastic news because they sooner these games start coming to Xbox the sooner we can stop this ridiculous dialogue of "Japanese games don't matter" as if Japanese games is some genre and not an entire segment of the development industry. Oh and hopefully it'll mean more sales/$ for JP development too. Everyone wins!
To be fair, the last FF it's more occidental than truly 'japanese oriented'. I don't see it to prove anything. Indeed it confirms quite the opposite about the xbox.

MS needs to moneyhat some big titles at E3 if they want to compete with Sony.

I don't think moneyhats are the answer; they need to build up or form bonds with new teams to produce new, original games in the hope of landing a smash hit like Splatoon or Horizon.

Sneaking suspicion that Xbox Souls or Nioh style variant is coming. That would be a start.

To really get me though, hit me with that Lost Odyssey sequel, bruh.

Hmm. Are MS likely to get any more Japanese exclusives, the way things are right now? I don't see it myself, and I expect Spencer's trip there a few weeks ago was predominantly to meet with third party publishers like Capcom and Square Enix. Still, I think Japanese games should be something they're going after in order to diversify their catalogue, despite how many people here expressed disinterest in AA Japanese titles like Nioh, Nier and Ni No Kuni last time this conversation came up.

I love Phil, but nice words have their limits.

I understand that new IP takes time to develop and to be honest Mattrick didn't leave much for Phil to inherit, but he does need to hurry up. The old cows (GoW, Halo, Fable and Forza) are pretty much milked dry.

343 is a massive developer - I think upwards of 500 staff. They really should allow a team of, say, 50-100 people to break off and prototype new stuff, as they need new tentpole franchises to go alongside and one day perhaps replace Halo and Gears.

But they don't release them every year? Mainline Zelda games average about every five years, and mainline Super Mario instalments are more like every 3-4 years. With Pokemon there's a genuine argument to be made about the franchise being milked, but it's incredibly popular and has legs so I can't really blame them. Nintendo have probably about 12-15 core franchises that they rotate, but they tend to be quite good at either not milking them excessively or changing the games up sufficiently so they're never sitting on their hands. You can't really say the same with Halo or Uncharted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom