• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge: "Nintendo Direct - promises, promises"

meta4

What's the appropriate amount of time to wait before giving your opinion? Anything negative anyone says about Nintendo is going to be met with the same exact woe-as-us-they-said-Nintendo-is-doomed garbage regardless of when or how they say it. The fact remains that Nintendo did what they did today because they fucked up the Wii U launch, and they're feeling that.

Funny not to see the same reaction from fans to this inane hyperbole article by Richard George.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/23/wii-u-strikes-back

Shaffield

what the hell?
did they watch the whole thing?

they described it as a "steady stream of releases" starting in March.
Monster Hunter has a release date, Pikmin 3 is sure to be out by at least the start of Fall, WW HD is scheduled for Fall, Bayonetta 2 will most likely be sometime this year, W101 will most likely be Summer/Fall, SMT x FE could definitely be out within the year ...

they gave updates on both near and long-term releases, so I don't get this premise of "promises/announcements not being enough".
plus Nintendo is not a company that announces games that turn into vaporware.

sure, MS and Sony will have consoles out by the end of the year, but I seriously doubt their holiday launch/launch-window line-ups will come close to the WiiU library by the end of 2013.

obviously a troll article. the Nintendo haters will shit on anything.

also, fuck these morons saying the announcements will only please Nintendo fans. since when are hardcore RPGs only appealing to that demographic?

Sadist

If people were balanced we could look at this objectively and come somewhere in the middle. We're these announcements great? Yes. Is Nintendo still facing a huge uphill battle? Absolutely
No one will deny this.

But I think a lot of people here are quite annoyed by the stance some gamingmedia take on the industry. Surely the announcement of Durango and Orbis games will headline several news outings, but they kind of shove Nintendo in the corner with their forthcoming announcements. "Oh yeah, Nintendo. Yeah they will have a hard time". Well sure, but who's to say that MS or Sony will deliver? MS and Sony will make mistakes along the way.

MisterHero

If people were balanced we could look at this objectively and come somewhere in the middle. We're these announcements great? Yes. Is Nintendo still facing a huge uphill battle? Absolutely
Of course they are, but what can Nintendo do against vague news about competing console launches? Should they do anything?

Nintendo could announce games, but not show anything because they aren't ready. Does that still count as an announcement? Will viewers be satisfied?

X probably won't be a blockbuster, but Nintendo is doing a great job of arguing that they have good hardware capable of great software. That's all that matters really.

the only way i can see anyone complaining about any systems release schedule is if they own that system and only that system. otherwise it doesnt make any sense to me.

obviously a troll article. the Nintendo haters will shit on anything.

also, fuck these morons saying the announcements will only please Nintendo fans. since when are hardcore RPGs only appealing to that demographic?

Perhaps switch to decaffeinated. Holy crap.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
No one will deny this.

But I think a lot of people here are quite annoyed by the stance some gamingmedia take on the industry. Surely the announcement of Durango and Orbis games will headline several news outings, but they kind of shove Nintendo in the corner with their forthcoming announcements. "Oh yeah, Nintendo. Yeah they will have a hard time". Well sure, but who's to say that MS or Sony will deliver? MS and Sony will make mistakes along the way.

Is still amusing seeing how the press keeps lumping Sony and MS together, as if they weren't competitors.

The thing is, when Nintendo announces stuff, they come out at a respectable time after. Nintendo keeps it close to the vest, sure, and sometimes they have months with nothing, but when they announce their games they usually come within a year.

beril

Weird article. I don't see how announcing a bunch of games can be seen as empty promises. Sure they're saving their biggest guns for E3, but that's hardly unexpected. Also dismissing the new Yoshi game as fan service seems strange and believing the Platinum & Monolith games will have only have an impact in Japan just seems misinformed. It's fair to argue that neither will have massive effects on hardware sales, but all of them will most likely sell more outside japan.

Is still amusing seeing how the press keeps lumping Sony and MS together, as if they weren't competitors.

It's clear that the press think of Sony and MS in a class by themselves(most likely due to tech and because third parties don't think about Nintendo at all anymore). The fear that Nintendo must have now is that consumers are starting to see it that way as well. You never want to be marginalized.

m.i.s.

Banned
Honestly, I think they're pretty much quick to judge. "Selling new Mario games to a indifferent public"? Based on what? On MS and Sony's rumoured specs? There might be a possibillity that those two won't deliver the hype.

That's not what is written in the article. It states in the article: "the pressure is on for Nintendo with these two. It must deliver new Super Mario and Mario Kart games that’ll sell its new console to an indifferent public". It's not talking of selling [Super Mario and Mario Kart] games to an indifferent public but the console itself due to the lack of the release of games in a timely manner.

silly article. One thing to have an opinion on the presentation from nintendo. Its another to spin it into a negative thing about nintendo.

blows my mind that anything negative could be stated about this direct compared to others. lol

Perhaps he sould have praised Nintendo to the heavens. Then it'd be an excellent article right?

This is not at all what the article is saying or what it's talking about.

However, Nintendo is currently not doing a great job at getting people on-board with the Wii U. They already have their fanbase, those people are on board and those people will be buying the games whenever they're ready.
What I think the article is trying to say is that Nintendo is the only company that has a new system that is (most likely) less powerful than what we'll see from Microsoft and Sony later this year. They should use their new-console state and get stuff done instead of promising things for the future. A future in which people will be excited about the most powerful systems out there, about better graphics and stuff like that.

Nintendo was unable to grab the public like they did with the Wii and now they're not doing a great job grabbing those interested in gaming in general. Nintendo isn't giving them a reason to spend their money on Nintendo's system. They're not giving them an incentive to go out and get a Wii U now. They're basically saying “You can wait, because the good stuff is far ahead” and I don't think that's a good thing. When it's time to actually buy that stuff, the two other companies will probably be in full force to make you want to get their system.

How I interpreted it, feels like there's a heck of a lot of kneejerk defensive posts here from what I read of the article.

Precisely. It really is kind of scary to think that we may be talking like this to grown adults.

Persona86

Banned
I liked how they made the promises, they explained to their customers and viewers what's going on in an honest and respectful way, unlike most companies these days.

Nintendo Direct, keep them coming Nintendo, good shit.

StayDead

I'd rather have a company that promises that they're working on making things really good (Ninty titles are mostly high quality, which they even apologise that it's taking time) than a company that rushes out a game every year just because.

Meier

I think the fact so many games will be playable at E3 says a lot. I know for me personally though, there wasn't enough to buy at launch. It needed Pikmin 3 which would have been the killer app for me personally. As it is, I'm waiting a bit.. but I did the same thing with the PS2 (MGS2 and Victorious Boxers), the Xbox (KOTOR), the PS3 (MGS4) and the 360 (Oblivion).

Buying at launch is for the birds.. of course I've been a dummy and done it with the 3DS and Vita recently.

The Boat

To be honest, a lot of the self pitying, overly defensive posts in threads like this are equally as bad as what people think the article in the OP is.
The difference is we don't get payed for our posts (except for viral maketers) and we're allowed to post hot headed, unreasonable reactions, even if it isn't something to be encouraged.

Kouriozan

No one will deny this.

But MS/Sony are too big to fail or whatever.
Honestly, I think they are pissed that the major announcement was made by Nintendo and not a magazine/website. Lots of money lost from the ads.

Coen

Can't speak for anyone else but as a WiiU owner, I feel much better about my purchase after this ND. Sure we knew most of these games were coming eventually but it's nice to see Iwata acknowledge some of the problems with the WiiU and the general feeling of unease within the community. In fact, I'd love to see Sony doing something similar for Vita.

I'm not sure this ND is convincing any non-believers to buy one. This very thread has some of the haters crawl out of the woodwork, claiming that Nintendo is just catering to their audience. And I'm sure they are. But so are Microsoft, Sony and basically every other game developer with a legacy out their. And that's okay.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
It's clear that the press think of Sony and MS in a class by themselves(most likely due to tech and because third parties don't think about Nintendo at all anymore). The fear that Nintendo must have now is that consumers are starting to see it that way as well. You never want to be marginalized.

Which the converse is also risky position (if they are the same, why get this console when I have the other?). Unlike last gen, Sony won't start with the massive goodwill of the Ps2 era.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Some good that did them.

Ps3 would have been a Vita without that.

One of the reasons I bought a Vita was because I was expecting ports of mobile games. After all, EA even ported DS to HP Touch Pad. That, hasn't turned well, at all...

cand

What makes me really sad about all this negativism around Nintendo is that they're really really tryin' and nothing seems to be enough for some people. They don't want to BELIEVE cause they think everything should be perfect from the start.

Guess what, your money makes it better. Wii U is a great console. Is it perfect? No. Will be? Probably not. But there's no perfect console. I think is ok to not like it and put everything in reasonable terms, but just hate it for the hate? It's stupid. The games journalism is that bad now because people like this kind of DOOM shit.

If you BELIEVE Nintendo is capable of bringin' great games for the console during its lifespan buy it. If not just leave it alone and go find something healthy to do with your life.
Comparisons and tech analisis of power don't mean anything if the games aren't good. And the only way to verify the quality is playing. I swear to God people like more to play critic than play the game.

There's only 2-3 months since launch people. 3DS was a disaster too remember? And then became a beast in Japan and, with Pokemon will be a beast in rest of the world. It took more than a year to get to this point so chill out and stop spreading this bad press non-sense. It's not good for absolutly anyone. Just think about it!! What good does this type of press bring to ANYONE?

Which the converse is also risky position (if they are the same, why get this console when I have the other?). Unlike last gen, Sony won't start with a the massive goodwill of the Ps2 era.

I think Sony's generated a lot of goodwill the past few years of the PS3's existence. Steady stream of exclusives both at retail and downloadable, excellent third party support, and a focus on the consumer (PSN+). The converse is Nintendo, who come off as anti-consumer as you get in the video game business (demo limits, a horrendous account system, terrible third party support). PS3 isnt coming off a gigantic success, but I don't think they're heading into next gen wounded.

What makes me really sad about all this negativism around Nintendo is that they're really really tryin' and nothing seems to be enough for some people.

Many of us look at the old tech in the Wii U, the lame OS, the piss-poor third party support, and the account system and don't see this "really really tryin'" thing you speak of.

Maztorre

I agree it's very amusing, when Sony and MS are effectively revealing their launch games at the same trade show neither are at risk of being "overshadowed", but when Nintendo show a lineup of games and announcements that address a completely different space in the market 4 months ahead of their competitors they are obviously at risk of being overshadowed.

Lunar15

I'll take those promises.

Although, I still really don't think the Nintendo Direct appealed to anyone BUT the core nintendo
and Atlus
fans.

I'd rather have a company that promises that they're working on making things really good (Ninty titles are mostly high quality, which they even apologise that it's taking time) than a company that rushes out a game every year just because.

Some consumers and early adopters would prefer a steady, diverse stream of high quality titles delivered across the period after launch.

I mean, I'd love to get excited about the Wii U,but there's one game I want to play right one, and considering that a steady library of games won't emerge until a year after release, I'd much rather wait, and by then that interest has to compete with other launches/announcements - I'm sure I'm not alone either.

Sure, you could level this at any first party...but I do feel that the wii u's launch has felt a bit flat in comparison to some past launch windows. People want games for their shiny new expensive systems, not an initial burst and nothing.

Edit: The 360 had continued success despite upcoming launches because MS really pushed it and delivered the software(including 3rd party) regularly during that initial window. Nintendo needs to do the same or I fear that they will indeed get overshadowed by the others.

Thats really harsh. You need to give credit where creidt is due and Nintendo deserve some credit for announcing all theses games in a ND. I mean they proabaly outdid their previous E3's with a half an hour presentation.

However there is some truth to this article as no release dates have been given so the Wii U is still in a bad position (at this current moment).

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
You know, if the only Wii U game I play are the ones announced today and Monster Hunter, I would be 100% satisfied with my Wii U purchase. I felt my Wii purchase was justified by Monster Hunter (and Xenoblade) alone.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I think Sony's generated a lot of goodwill the past few years of the PS3's existence. Steady stream of exclusives both at retail and downloadable, excellent third party support, and a focus on the consumer (PSN+). The converse is Nintendo, who come off as anti-consumer as you get in the video game business (demo limits, a horrendous account system, terrible third party support). PS3 isnt coming off a gigantic success, but I don't think they're heading into next gen wounded.

Sony exclusives aren't exactly gigantic systems movers, not anymore. And are you talking about goodwill among users? Because demo limits and the account systems aren't really that important to the bulk of people, I believe.

Many of us look at the old tech in the Wii U, the lame OS, the piss-poor third party support, and the account system and don't see this "really really tryin'" thing you speak of.
Now you are talking about personal preference and experience. You would have tough that launching an extremely flawed console like the OG 360 would have caused some ill towards MS and the xbox brand...

You can say that you don't like the Wii U, which is fine. You can't however extrapolate that sentiment to the much wider market.

Josh7289

The Wii U is incredibly exciting to me now. It was silly of me to doubt them to be honest. They're remarkably consistent in the quality they deliver.

Microsoft and Sony prepare to unveil their next-generation consoles. 2013 could be the year in which the videogame landscape is utterly transformed

As a PS3 and 360 owner I very much doubt this. Games have been creatively bankrupt for a long time now, and next gen has zero to offer which interests me. I'd be happy for this gen to be sustained indefinitely if it means we keep getting games at bomba prices. Since even AAA games are distinctly mediocre now, bomba prices are all they're worth. Adding a fresh coat of paint and charging twice as much has no appeal to me.

Dre3001

Honestly the Nintendo Direct was not too breathtaking as many would have u believe.

Seriously who did not know Smash bros, Zelda, and Mario Kart were coming??

The only surprise to me was the X game.

The main thing is that there are still no release dates for all these hyped up games.

Pikmin 3 was shown at launch as was Bayonetta sequel and yet today was just more talk of "there on the way".

E3 is not until the summer, what is Nintendo going to do until then?

Sadist

That's not what is written in the article. It states in the article: "the pressure is on for Nintendo with these two. It must deliver new Super Mario and Mario Kart games that’ll sell its new console to an indifferent public". It's not talking of selling [Super Mario and Mario Kart] games to an indifferent public but the console itself due to the lack of the release of games in a timely manner.
Basicly it's the same thing, but with some added nuance.

Whoever wrote that article is really dumb. With these announcements coming so suddenly Nintendo is generating interest in the Wii U before new platform announcements by Microsoft and Sony. A bunch of people will buy the it because of all the games showcased today, and the competitors will be left in the dust with their expensive new platforms with no games on them. They had a head start before. Now they are building up a really impressive library early on.

Ziek

I think Edge is trying to coax a sensational reaction out of this. I was disappointed with the Wii U's launch & lineup; however, I felt as though Iwata was humble and his apology was acceptable. Would another company appologize like this?

I'm not ready to invest in a Wii U, but today's Nintendo Direct got my attention. Obviously, the first party titles were expected, but the surprise titles, whether you are interested or not, shows Nintendo is working on new ideas with their third party developers. I hope Nintendo continues this trend.

I'm excited for this year's E3.

The Wii U is incredibly exciting to me now. It was silly of me to doubt them to be honest. They're remarkably consistent in the quality they deliver.

Except the Wii was awful. This Nintendo direct + E3 will reveal games for the first year of the Wii U that already outclass its predesessor. Sad that it won't be nearly as successful.

"Nintendo is offering their fans promises"

"Sony and MS will totally deliver on the nothing they've announced so far."

Seems kind of odd.
Sony and MS systems have an incredible catalogue of games, feature better online infrastructure, are on par graphically and all this at a more affordable price.

Agree with Edge, lots of promises. "Wait for E3 so we can show you the awesome games we are working on". Man, how much i hate E3.

Sony exclusives aren't exactly gigantic systems movers, not anymore. And are you talking about goodwill among users? Because demo limits and the account systems aren't really that important to the bulk of people, I believe.

You can say that you don't like the Wii U, which is fine. You can't however extrapolate that sentiment to the much wider market.

I'm not really extrapolating. Nintendo has now released two pieces of hardware in a row after the massive success of the Wii/DS and both flopped right out of the gate.

As for goodwill, I meant among the press and core gamers. Something Nintendo lacked in a huge way after essentially killing the Wii 2-3 years before its successor was released. That is exactly how NOT to release a new console.

Ziek

Honestly the Nintendo Direct was not too breathtaking as many would have u believe.

The main thing is that there are still no release dates for all these hyped up games.

Pikmin 3 was shown at launch as was Bayonetta sequel and yet today was just more talk of "there on the way".

I was surprised, and delighted, to know for sure that we will see these titles at E3. Some of them playable.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not really extrapolating. Nintendo has now released two pieces of hardware in a row after the massive success of the Wii/DS and both flopped right out of the gate.

As for goodwill, I meant among the press and core gamers. Something Nintendo lacked in a huge way after essentially killing the Wii 2-3 years before its successor was released. That is exactly how NOT to release a new console.

Well, the 3Ds didn't exactly flopped. You are thinking about Sony and the Vita, which did everything right. And again, core gamers. An extremely fuzzy set that has never been properly defined.

Anyway, my original point isn't that Nintendo didn't screwed up on the 3DS and Wii U launches, because they did. My original point is how is silly to group together Sony and MS as if they were partners. I believe that the Ps4 will struggle, at least in NA.

antonz

Nintendo basically did what every company does at E3 at the start of a console Generation. Showed some real stuff and made lots of promises. This time they just did it really early and plan to actually show the real deal at E3 instead of just words and CGI.

Syrinx

Here's the thing:

The Wii U's release schedule for the first six months or so is barren. Nobody's denying that. And Nintendo absolutely should be held accountable for this. It should not have been like this. Wii U owners absolutely should have more to look forward to in the coming months.

But nothing, I repeat, nothing that happened at today's ND was going to change this. Nothing that was announced today was going to be released within the next six months, and they will probably take even more time than that. So it's kinda missing the point to say that today's presentation was underwhelming cause there's still a drought in the immediate future, cause that was gonna happen no matter what.

Asking if this presentation was too little, too late is a valid question, though I would argue that it isn't. But anybody expecting the immediate future of the Wii U's release schedule to brighten were setting themselves up for disappointment from the start.

Top Bottom