• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo GameCube Appreciation and Collecting Thread.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
i just grabbed a sealed fire emblem gamecube off ebay for $155 shipped,
is that a good deal?

I played through that game for the first time last year. My copy was sealed, too, so I was hesitant to open it, given the prices.

Holy hell. It was by far the best Fire Emblem game I've played. I absolutely loved it from start to finish. The mechanics, the mission design, the aesthetics -- all of it was exactly what I wanted from Fire Emblem. I can't recommend it enough.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I played through that game for the first time last year. My copy was sealed, too, so I was hesitant to open it, given the prices.

Holy hell. It was by far the best Fire Emblem game I've played. I absolutely loved it from start to finish. The mechanics, the mission design, the aesthetics -- all of it was exactly what I wanted from Fire Emblem. I can't recommend it enough.

Path of Radiance and to a lesser extent Radiant Dawn were the last (and only?) times Fire Emblem actually had writing worth taking the time to read. The world building is infinitely better than the more recent games - as in, it is actually a thing that exists within the game. It doesn't just string you along with conversation after conversation in a nondescript world.

And from a gameplay standpoint it's definitely stronger than games like Awakening and presumably Birthright (someday I will care enough to play it). Wouldn't say Conquest though.

Man you need to play PoR asap! It's by far my favorite FE (although I havnt played fates yet)

Griel is the fucking man. The way the game fills in his story while progressing Ike's is fantastic.

My three favorite characters besides Ike and Griel were:

Titania
Boyd
Volke

I played and beat it for the first time last year so there's no nastalgia clouding my memory.

Edit: you could always keep it sealed and Still play it if you know what I mean

thanks all! the guy just marked it shipped.

i should've brought an open copy... there was a flash coupon yesterday 15 of 75 that worked for only a few hours.
so i starting in a rush looking at the fire emblem listings bc they go for about 80 but couldn't find any.
i saw someone selling misb for $175 with 2 feedbacks and another for $179 best offer, with 119 feedbacks. i decided to best offer the lowest he'd accept (170) and put a note i'll pay right away if he accepts within the hour.

anyways, i have a few days to decide what to do, maybe i'll get a loose disc cheap if possible and keep this in collectors condition. unlike most of you with gaming as their primary hobby, this is my secondary hobby whereas my main hobby deals in collecting high priced items so it's in my blood to have a collector mentality and sorta transferred over. i just sold 1k of stuff last night which is why i brought this.

but of course i love to game and understand those saying play the shit out of it =)

I feel old. Gamecube is now considered a retro console. Don't get me wrong. I get why, because the Gamecube is now as old as the NES was when the Gamecube launched (also a weird thought but true), but still, feels kind of weird.

GC was my first home console, I was mostly a PC only gamer before that. Naturally, I'm still very fond of the system. And fortunately I bought a considerable amount of games for it back in the day, and don't have to pay any silly prices for them now.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I actually picked up my GCN 2 months after launch without planning to. I walked into Future Shop (Best Buy owned them) and they had an open box return sitting out on a clearance table for $200 (it launched at $300 here). Right after I paid for it they tried to cancel my sale saying it was a price mistake but I laughed at them and walked out.

Bill's hair was just... wow.

E3 was way more interesting back then when it wasn't live streamed. Not saying it was better or anything, just more interesting. Suddenly, you got news of all these new products and it was told to you almost like a bedtime story by the enthusiast press.

Now we all experience it live, so it's way more bombastic and glitzy. But those more intimate reveals and the passing on of information gave it a different sort of fun word-of-mouth feeling. Almost like a fairy tale that you knew would eventually come true (as long as nothing got cancelled).

Then you'd go to your friends and share articles about the latest games and read about them together. It was a fun time to be a kid.

E3 was better when everything didn't get leaked a month and a half in advance.

c-murph

I just picked up Super Mario Sunshine for $50CDN used at a local/comic gaming shop. Not a huge deal or anything but it's in great condition, like near mint. Must be a system bundle copy or something since the cover says Not for resale.

I've never played this one before and always wanted to. Kinda psyched. Gunna spend all next week playing since I'm finished the semester.

There were some dev tools as well. Those ports were kind of a waste of space tbh.

I would rather they remove those than the Digital AV port like they did.

Waste of space? The Game Boy Player? Hell no! If it wasn't for the Game Boy Player, there are several GBA games I would've never finished, and others I would've never played.

And if we're wishing for stuff, why wish for them to do a different dumb port removal? Just wish they'd have left the ports alone, and actually sold the component cable.

I think they could have left in a port for a GBA add on without adding an extra quarter height of plastic to shroud some connectors that stick out.

And I say that as someone that loves the GBP.

Beegeous

Just a couple from my collection.

The JPN footie game on the left is Jikkyou World Soccer 2002 - basically Pro Evo 3, and on the right is Kuru Rin Squash, a sequel to the godlike GBA launch title.

IMG_1623.jpg

IMG_1624.jpg

So what's the state of gamecube homebrew? search results give me tons of noise due to the wii. Do you still have to swap SD cards to use one larger than 4GB or whatever? Are there homebrew/iso launchers that don't require a disc?

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that those Hori 2D pads have kind of gone up in price. Are there any decent alternatives?

I came to realize recently how garbage the Gamecube D-Pad is. I was playing SoulCalibur on Dreamcast and SoulCalibur 2 on Gamecube and I felt more comfortable using a Dreamcast controller, which is not a good sign.

I swear the Gamecube controller is somehow both the best and worst controller in existence.

D.Lo

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that those Hori 2D pads have kind of gone up in price. Are there any decent alternatives?

I came to realize recently how garbage the Gamecube D-Pad is. I was playing SoulCalibur on Dreamcast and SoulCalibur 2 on Gamecube and I felt more comfortable using a Dreamcast controller, which is not a good sign.

I swear the Gamecube controller is somehow both the best and worst controller in existence.
SNES controller to Gamecube adapter.

I actually use that plus a wireless 8bitdo Super Fami pad lol.

Yeah Gamecube pad is perfection for some games, but not flexible to fit certain traditional genres. The d-pad was surely mostly designed to be additional input (eg item selection or sub navigation), not a main input. The face buttons were fantastic for new game designs, truly a better layout allowing you to roll from the main button to three secondaries easily, but no good for games with a legacy in more rigid input methods - eg flighting games that have a row of identical buttons.

SNES controller to Gamecube adapter.

I actually use that plus a wireless 8bitdo Super Fami pad lol.

Yeah Gamecube pad is perfection for some games, but not flexible to fit certain traditional genres. The d-pad was surely mostly designed to be additional input (eg item selection or sub navigation), not a main input. The face buttons were fantastic for new game designs, truly a better layout allowing you to roll from the main button to three secondaries easily, but no good for games with a legacy in more rigid input methods - eg flighting games that have a row of identical buttons.

Thanks for the suggestion. I do agree with your assessment, as I love using the Pad for F-Zero, Metroid Prime, the Resident Evils, and several others, since they don't need to use the right stick for camera control and the the A button is used for most actions, but I do have several bad memories playing the Mega Man collection and severals First Person Shooters with it as well.

Edit: About the adapter, how do the buttons translate? Is it one to one?

D.Lo

I need to look into the SNES adapter. I own the Hori GBP pads, and honestly I don't like the d-pad at all. Feels way to stiff.
Yeah it totally does. I sold mine years ago, should have held onto it for a while longer since they've gone up in price a lot!

Megatron

I have just recently caught the gamecube collecting bug. I bought a back up unit which is serving as my main unit for now. What a great system. I really miss the little guy. I have ben buying games I missed or had on other systems and just today discovered Ultimate Spiderman and Hulk Ultimate destruction are on the cube! And they're cheap! Bought both online for about $13 shipped each.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone here have the HDMI mod? Does it scale well on 1080p displays?

Related, it looks like GCVideoX is going to be the external version. May replace the internal one, at least as the standard version of the mod. Looks like it will be a dongle that connects directly into the digital port and you plug your component or HDMI cable into it.

https://twitter.com/BadAssConsoles/status/834318143447261186
https://twitter.com/BadAssConsoles/status/866803978818002945

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Related, it looks like GCVideoX is going to be the external version. May replace the internal one, at least as the standard version of the mod. Looks like it will be a dongle that connects directly into the digital port and you plug your component or HDMI cable into it.

https://twitter.com/BadAssConsoles/status/834318143447261186
https://twitter.com/BadAssConsoles/status/866803978818002945
There's also this one by another guy.

Now that I think about it, I'm surprised I've never seen this mod done before.

I think it would look so clean. Maybe fill in the lid lines too since I use a wasp .Shit maybe I'll fill in the memory card and controller ports too. When I move and get a chance I'm going to do it!

Wouldn't that make it hard to open up the cube later? Anything happens to the laser or mainboard, it'll be difficult to get in for repairs

jonno394

Hey guys, i have a wii lying round and was thinking of getting some GameCube games. Does 'freeloader for GameCube' still work on it or did nintendo mess it up with a fw update at some point?

Persona7

Banned
Hey guys, i have a wii lying round and was thinking of getting some GameCube games. Does 'freeloader for GameCube' still work on it or did nintendo mess it up with a fw update at some point?

It worked for a while but Nintendo eventually blocked it with a firmware update. Like within the Wii's first year. You can probably do something with homebrew but I have no idea how any of that stuff works.

yansolo

man going through these pages the gamecube had a ton of awesome games, its a shame it had to go up against the ps2 because at the time sony just destroyed all competition.

TheMoon

google fu yourself around to installing the homebrew channel, install geckoOS which lets you boot any region discs for gc/wii.

TheMoon

Might have just negated the need for hacking wii as may have snagged a nice bargain. Will post in a few days of it all works out:)

it also opens you up to importing and playing Fatal Frame/Project Zero 4 now with the fan translation!

so it'd be a win all around!

jonno394

My bargain turned up!

35239175902_36073c29d4_z.jpg

£107 for the GC, component cables (i assume are official as the markings are on them), Rogue Leader, Rebel Strike and a freeloader! Slight snafu in the fact there's no AV cable so I have no audio atm and the controllers triggers are screwed, but that can be rectified for about £20.

Felt guilty buying this especially as the seller knew component cables were rare and even put in his listing they were rare and pricey, but the fact he didnt list them in his title meant most probably overlooked it!

Crystal Chronicles and Wave Race were bought separately for about a tenner.

Top Bottom