• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Beta Thread: [Brewmaster]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksan

Thanks Haly. In situations where I'm in a lane against range I'm not great with dealing with harassment so my last hit timings suffer.

An advanced technique is to attack command the enemy heroes, drawing creep aggro toward you. If you do this right you can pull the enemy creeps in front of your creep wave.
The hardest part of this is actually to be able to to this consistently and getting the enemy creeps to attack your ranged creeps so you don't start pushing the lane.

Practicing against bots is probably a good way to learn this (or just playing a lot obviously)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Thanks Haly. In situations where I'm in a lane against range I'm not great with dealing with harassment so my last hit timings suffer.
One of the reasons I don't like using "S" is because it leaves you open to harass. I prefer cancelling my attacks with move commands, which makes it harder for them to hit me (especially with skill shots) and because I feel pro doing it.
BKB renders a lot of heroes "useless" late game (except it's more like, BKB means Bane no longer targets that particular hero and switches to someone else instead). Sucks that his ult is channeling though, but a 6~ second disable that goes through BKB and steals their mana is no joke. Nightmare is pretty good at taking an enemy out of a fight or saving one of your friends from being autoattacked to death. Enfeeble rocks on enemy carries. And brain sap gonna brain sap.
In all honesty Bane does rather well against BKB users, as long as he has his own BKB.

Lirlond

If I invoke ghost walk, cold snap, orb up forge spirits, hit ghost walk and then invoke forge spirits RIGHT AFTER, will that work? I can't try it right now but surely the fade time is long enough to allow an invoke?

Haly

I don't recall ghost walk having a fade time. The site doesn't mention it.

Lirlond

Shit I think you're right. Wondering if there's anything I can add to my QE build to make it more reliable, rather than hoping my team mates are always in position for ganks.

Low Tier
I'd rather see a MoM invoker than any more of that Q+W four spell invoker phaseboots/drums/eul mindless copypasta. 99% of them just hurt my brain. Please stop... Learn to think for yourselves people. Otherwise you'll never be anything above incredibly mediocre -_-

????
It's used because it's the best build for him. Not going the usual QW pb->euls->scepter build is like maxing out frost armor first on lich. This kind of thought process leads to bad builds, which then leads to bad games. Deviating from the standard is fine, as long as you can justify your item/skill choices and still use the hero efficiently. MoM Invoker is like the epitomy of wasted hero, there's just so much more you can do with him.

I'd rather see someone eat with their ears then any more of that chew and swallow food with their mouth mindless copypasta. 99% of them just hurt my brain. Please stop... Learn to think for yourselves people. Otherwise you'll never be anything except incredibly hungry -_-

Hylian7

????
It's used because it's the best build for him. Not going the usual QW pb->euls->scepter build is like maxing out frost armor first on lich. This kind of thought process leads to bad builds, which then leads to bad games. Deviating from the standard is fine, as long as you can justify your item/skill choices and still use the hero efficiently. MoM Invoker is like the epitomy of wasted hero, there's just so much more you can do with him.

I'd rather see someone eat with their ears then any more of that chew and swallow food with their mouth mindless copypasta. 99% of them just hurt my brain. Please stop... Learn to think for yourselves people. Otherwise you'll never be anything except incredibly hungry -_-

Ehhhhhh, to be fair, this is how I came up with hypothetical ideas like a Blink Dagger on Anti-Mage (blink in, hit, blink out)

Haly

You're not going to convince anyone to "think for themselves" if you use that as an example!

If anything, the main reason to follow cookie cutter builds is to not intentionally throw your game. Most people only care about winning.

????

I agree with you, but I also understand his point. It's hard to really be good unless you experiment and figure out WHY certain builds do and do not work. Right?

shruggg

Hylian7

You're not going to convince anyone to "think for themselves" if you use that as an example!

If anything, the main reason to follow cookie cutter builds is to not intentionally throw your game. Most people only care about winning.

Exactly, so I'm not going to lose if I have a cookie cutter build to follow. I'm trying to figure out what exactly would be "too crazy" and what wouldn't.

Insured

????

I think you misunderstood (or I worded that badly), I have zero issues with people using optimal builds, I have issues with people blindly copying (as in, not actually understanding why they went for the exact item & skill builds they did) what they see done in a progame and being completely unable to adapt to situations and use their own head. Often they also get really angry if their copypaste plans go awfully wrong. Or maybe it's just the euro games I play in...

For the first time ever I'm 20 wins ahead of my losses!

Although I have no idea if it's because I'm actually getting better, or if it's because I've just been getting lucky in my match-ups. D:

n0b

I don't like it when random people make friend requests in dota. I like it in tf2 but you have no way of knowing if they are actually good/friendly/fun or anything after just one game.

How do you fast forward the GODDAMN picking phase in replays?

I'm trying to watch that replay posted and the pick screen is occluding all the controls.

/ALLCAPS

Edit: Nevermind, restarted and picked autospeed at the start. Still annoying though.

Do you also get players like this?

Picks AM after OD and lots of stun/hex.
Goes 5/17 and blames team.
Calles GG when we got 3 tower advantage.

how do you deal with him/her and keep the team spirit up?

ksan

Barami barami salami
Billy Beans Gigabyte, Billy Beans
De la Rosa
TAKE IT AWAY

IS THIS THE END?
SLUMGDOG MILLIONAIRE

Arksy

Hey - Just got a copy of this game, downloading now.

Do people play in Dota 2 or the Dota 2 test? Kinda wondering where all the people are at! :)

SamVimes

I'd argue that's false, however you can't become the best player in the world while playing like that.

For me it's 4/5/4 with force and agha on lvl 17 or bust.

I see link going that build too but i just don't get it, until you are lv 17 with Agha you're just wasting levels on exort since you can cast only up to three spells in a teamfight which are gonna be mediocre since you're splitting the levels, meanwhile maxing wex gives you a shitton of mobility and makes EMP tornado really hurt until you get that agha.

ksan

Second game was good, but too bad the first game was decided by a 250 ms advantage mid lane...
I see link going that build too but i just don't get it, until you are lv 17 with Agha you're just wasting levels on exort since you can cast only up to three spells in a teamfight which are gonna be mediocre since you're splitting the levels, meanwhile maxing wex gives you a shitton of mobility and makes EMP tornado really hurt until you get that agha.

That's fine in my opinion, he's a carry-like hero, if you don't go 4/5/4 you'll only be kinda strong at lvl 17 compared to extremely strong at lvl 17.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom