• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Large Youtubers Hide Ownership of CSGO Lottery Site

Status
Not open for further replies.
The human brain doesn't work like that.

Once you have a million followers, you can find any group of people to support any decision you want. Anybody that would traditionally say "I don't think that's a good idea" is drowned out by hundreds of thousands of blind followers who support it.

Power corrupts people.

I don't really feel like having a huge discussion about it, so I'll just say I don't agree with you and leave it at that. My main points would be that I feel it largely depends on the individual.

Hope y'have a good rest of the day though, man. <3

Jesus Christ I thought it was bad enough but then when Ethan showed video evidence of the dude straight up acting like he just found the site by chance I lost it. Hope the FTC comes down on these dudes like a ton of bricks.

Foffy

Banned
I don't really feel like having a huge discussion about it, so I'll just say I don't agree with you and leave it at that. My main points would be that I feel it largely depends on the individual.

Hope y'have a good rest of the day though, man. <3

That it does.

The problem is many people have a huge problem with ego. In fact, this is probably the greatest problem exclusive to human beings.

Lol yea as an earlier poster said he has a tick. He is chill about people noticing it but I agree. I just can't help but stare at his eyebrows.

Any more information on this? I will add this to the OP.

My mistake. It wasn't about this.

It was the shady shit about COD points. Which is something that needs to be looked at too.

https://youtu.be/9VPEYl5WXcQ

https://youtu.be/jy0R7uJZwfI

https://youtu.be/a3pnwHmAZUs

So Tmartn and his cronies have been making strikes against his videos.

https://youtu.be/FLoaaCLOGh8

Just to be clear:

This is the promotion of gambling to children.

This is also non-disclosure of a clear conflict of interest in business.

Both are illegal.

These dudes need to call a lawyer first thing Tuesday morning.

My mistake. It wasn't about this.

It was the shady shit about COD points. Which is something that needs to be looked at too.

So Tmartn and his cronies have been making strikes against his videos.

Ah yea still shady. I'm really hoping TotalBiscuit can push out a video on this soon.

That it does.

The problem is many people have a huge problem with ego. In fact, this is probably the greatest problem exclusive to human beings.

I agree. I feel like you definitely need to humble yourself now and again, just to remind yourself that yes, you are still a completely normal human being. As long as you keep your ego in check, I feel like you'll remain a level-headed individual.

thenameDS

Hope the media picks this up and blows up this story and emphasis how he's changed his video discriptions and Twitter bio, to try and cover up.

Just to be clear:

Both are illegal.

Enough time for some gaming journalists to download his videos and post a nice 5th of July article before he can get advice on real damage control

Boke1879

Just to be clear:

Both are illegal.

Yup because these dudes could have a ton of lawsuits on their hands.

UberTag

hopefully this gets the attention of a government, who knows it might spark a wider look at video games, exploitative monetisation methods etc
Someone needs to blow this story up. Tweet it over to TMZ correspondents and daytime talk show researchers. Get this in front of as many eyes as possible.

This seems a lot different than cars trading and selling, though.

How so?

There&#8217;s not really much to prevent one from gambling high-value Magic cards. The company doesn&#8217;t provide facilities to do so, but it&#8217;s pretty easy to gamble with them through a third party. And I myself have played in tournaments where players bet cards, so it does happen.

This specific case is obviously something else entirely, but nobody's about the drop the hammer on Valve over skins, sorry.

Someone needs to blow this story up. Tweet it over to TMZ correspondents and daytime talk show researchers. Get this in front of as many eyes as possible.

Honestly I think FOX wouldn't mind reporting this story

"You think your child is safe playing video games, but you didn't know that there is an illegal gambling ring devoted to targeting your child."

Anything to make video games look scary and bad.

ps3ud0

The only way it's not gambling is if the skins have no monetary value.

These folks are on record claiming they won money in videos (or at least something with monetary value).

They incorporated their business in the US.

I'm not a lawyer, but it'd be pretty hard to convince me (if I was on a jury) that this isn't gambling.
Sorry Im not from the US (or well versed with gambling law) but assumed internet gambling was heavily regulated, so thought these kinds of site circumvent that by effectively not gambling with money directly nor showing whatever thing you gamble with can have a monetary value external to the site itself.

As you said its technically above board but probably not something you want a jury to mull over. Obviously the YT videos make it even more damning as the owner of the site confirms its for gambling for money...

ps3ud0 8)

XAL

I'm not sure that this was supposed to be hidden information that they owned this lotto...

Go to TmarTn's twitter page and you'll see that in his info, right up front, it says "Co-owner @CSGOLotto"

... So is this guy at h3h3 trying to make fluff out of nothing really?

Edit: To go further, the guy in the h3h3 video says "it's illegal to not disclose that you work for a company or have been paid to promote or review their product"
It really didn't take much digging at all though to find this info. If it is publicly available information then they are fine. Even if it were to be buried in a load of legal papers that you would have to sort through.

To me, it isn't scummy that they haven't come out and said that they don't own the website at the very start of all their videos.

Edit 2: before replying see my other post at #76

Are you one of the 4 owners of CSGOLotto?

At the very least it should start popping up on major gaming sites starting Tuesday. This really has all the makings of being the biggest gaming story of the year given that it involves popular Youtubers, Valve, and one of the biggest eSports games.

Foffy

Banned
I agree. I feel like you definitely need to humble yourself now and again, just to remind yourself that yes, you are still a completely normal human being. As long as you keep your ego in check, I feel like you'll remain a level-headed individual.

The problem there is obvious.

People do not keep shit in check. After all, how many people always live for tomorrow and not for today, even still? They're still caught in games of chasing, attainment, status, acquisition. The problem with money, greed, and shady shit spawn from that base.

bman94

Haha, even after getting sued H3H3 still doesn't take shit from assholes on YouTube.

But wow, didn't know this existed at all. This is like a whole different side of gaming I never seen before, and it's quite scary how effective this illegal shit is.

Coreda

One of their more related videos would be the Tai Lopez Conspiracy, which was the first I was linked to elsewhere. I think if I'd seen any of their other videos first I probably wouldn't have followed them but exposing things in a humorous way is what I like Ethan best for.

Leafy stuff and being sued by another youtuber probably put a small hamper on their ass blasting.

True.

epmode

Haha, even after getting sued H3H3 still doesn't take shit from assholes on YouTube.

But wow, didn't know this existed at all. This is like a whole different side of gaming I never seen before, and it's quite scary how effective this illegal shit is.

Even disregarding the scam these Youtube guys are running, Valve's new gambling empire is nuts, and it's still 100% unregulated.

The Flash

Banned
One of their more related videos would be the Tai Lopez Conspiracy, which was the first I was linked to elsewhere. I think if I'd seen any of their other videos first I probably wouldn't have followed them but exposing things in a humorous way is what I like Ethan best for.

Yep that's actually the video introduced me to them as well. Now I'm full "knawledge".

Boke1879

At the very least it should start popping up on major gaming sites starting Tuesday. This really has all the makings of being the biggest gaming story of the year given that it involves popular Youtubers, Valve, and one of the biggest eSports games.

I just really hope this shit doesn't get brushed under the rug. I really feel Jim and Jason could potentially lead the charge.

MUnited83

For you.
Isn't this what guys suing Valve for tacitly enabling that everyone was laughing at and calling an idiot? But when it's against youtube trash everyones cheering finally, hang them high?

Valve doesn't own any of those gambling sites, doesn't endorse them, and has no involvement with them whatsoever.
Those youtube guys are the owners of one of those gambling websites.

Can you really, really, really not see the difference? They are literally two completely different things.

Squire

Banned
Even disregarding the scam these Youtube guys are running, Valve's new gambling empire is nuts, and it's still 100% unregulated.

All that stuff will come to a head at some point. We're probably going to learn a lot more about Valve than Newell is comfortable with once it does.

Edit: I'm not familiar with the guy suing Valve, but they are Absoluteky enabling this stuff. The video in the OP covers that. The sites are created YTers, but it's Valve's game and they seeded the culture and the mentality.

"Completely different"? Not in a court of law.

Fat4all

Banned
I just really hope this shit doesn't get brushed under the rug. I really feel Jim and Jason could potentially lead the charge.

Luckily, when H3H3 makes videos like these they usually get a lot of attention and millions of views very quickly, so the momentum should at least last til after the Fourth of July and a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom