• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation VR Thread 2: Reloaded

Codiox

So I bought Mortal Blitz today and holy shit is this game immersive! It's cheesy as fuck but so fucking good in VR. I would say its one of the best VR games out there. The usage of the move controller with the guns and aiming, really well done. The calibration makes it so you can really walk around in the room and it still works. Game play wise it's a really old school style game. You got a level selection screen, some upgrades, and even points and a rating system at the end of the levels. Graphics are fine too.

VR works so perfect in this. Taking cover feels like in real life. Standing at a door and quick looking at the edge is awesome. There is some kind of bullet time mechanic which is a lot of fun. You shoot the enemy dizzy, then switch to your hand which shoots some kind of electric and charge them and then the enemy will be thrown into the air and slow motion is kicking in.

Another funny story: my girlfriend was a VR hater, tried it at release with the psvr demo disc and didn't like anything of it and was like "are we done yet?". This broke my heart lol. Today I showed her Mortal Blitz and she was like "this looks boring and unfun." Then I told her to try it and after the tutorial she was like "OMG this is soo cool". I think it finally clicked. She now really felt the presence. After that she wanted to try all my other VR games again lol. Now she is a believer.

Joystick

3 new VR "experiences" from the same publisher today in the EU stores:

-Atomic Ghost Fleet: £3.69/€4.49 (18mn)
-Cocos Shark Island: £3.69/€4.49 (11mn)
-David Attenborough’s First Life: £5.35/€6.49 (15mn)

They do sound like they were made as high quality productions but they're _not_ true VR. Sony, qualify them as 360 degree VR videos.

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...lity-experiences-out-today-on-playstation-vr/

Cocos: Shark Island: https://youtu.be/RVB-flNyDMs
First Life: https://youtu.be/GP3lu8EUstw

Kyolux

It's such a great game that it would break my heart a little bit if the sales were poor.

Have you tried turning off HDCP in the system settings? That typically solves the blackout issue. You have to turn it back on to use Netflix and stuff.

Last I checked, I thought it was off. I'll check later tonight. Thanks.

valeu

So if anyone has followed my story, a friend brought me a PSVR in December from the US but I'm in Brazil. There's no VR section of games on Brazilian PSN as the system hasn't released here yet (and it doesn't have a release date), but I can buy VR games that you can also play without VR like RE7, Thumper, Bound, etc.

Anyway, I decided to add a US account to my PS4 and now I have access to all 100 or so games. I have a US credit card, but for some reason PSN was saying it was invalid, even though I was very careful to input it exactly how it is on my bank account. I tried opening a Paypal account with the same card and then was able to buy 3 games: Windlands, Job Simulator, and SUPERHYPERCUBE, and as I tried to buy another, I got a "your credit card is invalid. check your wallet." I checked with my bank and all three games are processing. I suspect that PSN just wants to wait until all three clear and because it is a new Paypal account, so I'll wait a few days to try again. Does that sound right? Sorry, not really a VR question, but maybe someone has had experience.
Edit: I was able to buy two more games with Paypal now and as I tried to buy a third I got the "your credit card is invalid" again. Is this how it's gonna be? Buy two games with Paypal then wait?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, man....finally!! It's like Christmas having access to the whole collection. The next buys
on my list are Tethered, Headmaster and Tumble VR. And I'm considering Eagle Flight, Robinson, and Star Trek.

impressions:
Windlands. I must preface by saying I don't get motion sickness. This game is glorious. It is so freeing to make these huge VR jumps up into the air of this towering Super Mario looking world. And learning how to platform with jumps and duel grappling hooks has been challenging, exhilarating and fun. I'm not sure how deep the game is. There's a hub world and collecting crystals opens other areas where you have to platform to find other crystals. But you can see the crystals way in the distance high above, and wondering how the hell you're gonna platform there is daunting but cool.

Job Simulator. So I have to say, this is the first game I've played standing, and I'm lazy and prefer to sit. But I arranged my apartment and TV to allow me enough space to play. Off the bat this is the first game I've played with some tracking wierdness. I played through all of Office Worker and it was a bit wobbly at times like I was drunk at work. Also, this is the first game I've played where my move hand tracking was a little visually spazzy. They picked up things no problem, so gameplay was not impeded, but it looked a little glitchy. Never had the same move problems with Rush of Blood, or Batman, or VR Worlds. That said, the game itself is absolutely charming and funny. I laughed quite a bit and it has a really great style and I forgot where I was for an hour. I was able to get over the technical issues and just imagine they were part of the "simulation". I'm looking forward to diving into more.

SUPERHYPERCUBE
. I downloaded the demo before buying and fell in love. I love puzzle games. The game is gorgeous, stylish, and hard. On my first playthrough I was 5760 in the world. Pretty bad. I'll be curious to watch some people play on youtube and see if I can get some pointers.

So I love all my purchases and can't wait to get the others. And then later this year there's: Gnog, Starblood Arena, Fantastic Contraption, Statik, Farpoint, Gran Turismo Sport, Golem. This system is such a gem. I love it

Chris_C

So I bought Mortal Blitz today and holy shit is this game immersive! It's cheesy as fuck but so fucking good in VR. I would say its one of the best VR games out there. The usage of the move controller with the guns and aiming, really well done. The calibration makes it so you can really walk around in the room and it still works. Game play wise it's a really old school style game. You got a level selection screen, some upgrades, and even points and a rating system at the end of the levels. Graphics are fine too.

VR works so perfect in this. Taking cover feels like in real life. Standing at a door and quick looking at the edge is awesome. There is some kind of bullet time mechanic which is a lot of fun. You shoot the enemy dizzy, then switch to your hand which shoots some kind of electric and charge them and then the enemy will be thrown into the air and slow motion is kicking in.

Another funny story: my girlfriend was a VR hater, tried it at release with the psvr demo disc and didn't like anything of it and was like "are we done yet?". This broke my heart lol. Today I showed her Mortal Blitz and she was like "this looks boring and unfun." Then I told her to try it and after the tutorial she was like "OMG this is soo cool". I think it finally clicked. She now really felt the presence. After that she wanted to try all my other VR games again lol. Now she is a believer.

Is the aiming like VR World's "The Heist", where you hold the moves upright, or do you have to point them at the screen like a wiimote. It was the latter in early demos and that old fast.

Codiox

Is the aiming like VR World's "The Heist", where you hold the moves upright, or do you have to point them at the screen like a wiimote. It was the latter in early demos and that old fast.

You need to hold then diagonal, so like if you would hold a gun I think.

When you have a pistol in your hand you can hold it easily with two hands (one holding it while the other is supporting from beneath if that makes any sense lol)

Is Sports Bar VR a better experience than Hustle KingsVR?

Absolutely, there are much more games and bullshit like throwing bottles around and building a tower of beer bottles in it lol.

karasu

So... Matpat released the first ever 8K 360° video on Youtube :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHyxNybbQCk

I tried to watch it on the PSVR (PS4 not PS4 pro), but it looks crappy as hell, and no way to change the settings in the Youtube App.

Any way to download the 360 video in mp4 format easily, to play it with the media player?

This is surprisingly well done. If not for the quick cuts I would feel like I was in Japan.

You can paste the link into the downloader at clipconverter.cc and choose the resolution you want to download it at there. The 8k version is like 15GB though. Then you'll have to rename it adding: _360_ou to the title. I don't know if it will work in Media Player so your best bet is to add it to a flash drive and watch it in your Littlstar library. I'm not even sure 8k video is within their parameters. The 4k version works fine though.

Absolutely, there are much more games and bullshit like throwing bottles around and building a tower of beer bottles in it lol.

Word! I'm gonna get on that then. Thanks!

If anybody tries that 8k video I'd be glad to know if it works at all on littlstar, 15 gb is like two days worth of nonstop downloading for me ;)

Codiox

If you ever wanted to stand on a driving train with two shotguns in your hand while dodging obstacles and shooting aliens then get Mortal Blitz. This game keeps getting better and better!

Thorrgal

The first time I played RE7 in VR I waited too long to stop.. and I felt like shit for like 2 hours after... just horribly off.

Yeah that's the usual motion sickness I get from cars, boats and small planes...there's a threshold that if you cross you're fucked

I have to say though that we ended up playing RE for 3h, switching every 15-20m and I didn't feel worse than I felt after the tutorial..slightly off but perfectly tolerable. In comparison I couldn't even finish the X-Wimg experince, which we tried at first.

Regarding RE the controls felt weird at first, the 30dg rotation etc but we got used to it pretty quickly and the game and the immersion is AMAZING. Surpassed all expectations. Specially after the XWing thing.

It really felt like the firsr RE, like playing in the mansion but BEING in tbe mansion..it's like WOW.

Rembembering now I don't remember playing the game but really running from the enemies! Like it was me who was really runninh away...I can only imagine what the future will be with this things...will be hard to tell reality from fiction in a few years lol

Definitelly not something to do every day but a must have experience. We'll get toguether like once a month an do VR session for sure.

Chittagong

Gold Member
It's an incredibly sunny day in London, so I struggled to play dark games on my TV and decided to fire up my PSVR for the first time in months. Damn, I had forgotten how much fun this thing is, spent a good while on Thumper. Perfect isolation from the sunny day, and so immersive.

Has anything worthwhile come out since RE7 for PSVR?

Briarios

Has anyone tried Virry yet? Any reactions?

Also, I was surprised to see Starblood Arena getting a physical release. I may pick it up ...

joeblow

Once I found out that Virry was 360 VR instead of 3D VR, it went from being an insta-buy to a never-buy for me.

Which reminds me, Sony needs to be completely transparent when these things go up for sale on the PSN store. I shouldn't have to hunt Reddit or this forum to find out if these interactive videos are shot in 3D or 360.

It's an incredibly sunny day in Lomdon, so I struggled to play dark games on my TV and decided to fire up my PSVR for the first time in months. Damn, I had forgotten how much fun this thing is, spent a good while on Thumper. Perfect isolation from the sunny day, and so immersive.

Dirt Rally is definitely worthwhile - if you are into that kind of game.

Ogni-XR21

Today a friend brought to my attention that the Farpoint bundle which includes the controller is already sold out at Amazon.de. Placed my order at another retailer so I still get it on day 1. Apparently Sony is only producing limited amounts of the controller for release day. Just a heads up to anyone interested.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
It's an incredibly sunny day in Lomdon, so I struggled to play dark games on my TV and decided to fire up my PSVR for the first time in months. Damn, I had forgotten how much fun this thing is, spent a good while on Thumper. Perfect isolation from the sunny day, and so immersive.

Starblood arena and Farpoint this month

Tailzo

Fruit Ninja bought in the eu VR sale :)

Isnt it 20 dollars??

How is it?

Sorry, I haven't had the chance to try Fruit Ninja for PS VR yet, but I tried it on HTC Vive room scale, and it was a very simple, yet fun game. And at the time, one of the games that felt like it did hand movement tracking the best of the games I was able to try.

I hope I'll have time to try this weekend.

I tried it a bit. Surprisingly my wife played it more than me. It's exactly like I remember it on htc vive, Fruit Ninja in vr. The move controllers work well, the graphics are crisp and colorful and the gameplay is super simple. Cut fruits!

Perfect for VR first timers. I don't think anyone could start barfing while playing this game.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
People are making me think about getting Mortal Blitz. It seems that it's 50-50 here though.

Planet

Fruit Ninja VR became an instant family hit here today, everyone wanted a go and liked it a lot. Even my wife who normally quickly doesn't feel well even in extremely mild VR games. Glad it's finally been on sale.

Tried Tethered without VR right now, and oh boy it sucks! Everything is extremely far away and tiny, makes my 55 inch feel like I'm back on my previous 32 inch! And it doesn't even support Move, DualShock only.

Anyone else here bought Tethered before Move support was patched in? Did you feel like I did that it made the game the way it was always supposed to be? Well, without VR, it's back to the old inferior controls. Instead of the head, you need to wave the controller around or very clumsily and slowly use an analogue suck to turn the camera.

You are again stuck with the few "camera position clouds", left analogue stick allows to lean left/right and higher/lower but you can't close in. Almost as good as not being forced to direct each action with head movements in the recent patch is the fact that you can freely reposition the camera - but only in VR mode.

So I tell you: Tethered still is a VR game, period. Anyone planning on buying this now to play it on TV will be disappointed. It is a decent VR game, but not amazing. I recommend it for the current sale price in Europe if you want strategy and something that will last you a while.

Oh cool, definitely into that sort of game - as long as it doesn't look like a Vita game, like Driveclub VR!

To be honest the VR support is kind of bolted on, no VR menus, only ingame. Also everything behind the driver's seat is not rendered.

But I forgot about that after 10seconds, because the driving itself is really intense and engaging. Especially when you turn of all hud and drove just based on the co-driver's callouts. Really fun.

To be honest the VR support is kind of bolted on, no VR menus, only ingame. Also everything behind the driver's seat is not rendered.

But I forgot about that after 10seconds, because the driving itself is really intense and engaging. Especially when you turn of all hud and drove just based on the co-driver's callouts. Really fun.
The sound design also really helps sell your traction (or lack thereof) on the courses. Really helps me know if I'm breaking or accelerating too much aside from the visual cues.

Erban1

Picked up Mortal Blitz and finally got Eve Valkyrie.

Mortal Blitz is cool, i have to remind myself thats its semi room scale and i can literally step to the side for cover. Looking forward to digging in again. Definitely scratching that time crisis itch

Eve Valkyrie is amazing though, and cross platform matchmaking hopefully means the game stays alive for a long time. Im also even more excited for VR in Ace Combat now.

The guy that made Starship Disco is working on a FPS called Demon Grade. Features a new method of locomotion with full movement possible.

Same here

I tell you though, if Namco did an HD remaster of Time Crisis 1 on PSVR, I would buy that shit so fast.

Sega will, apparently, be talking about their plans for VR soon.

Their back catalogue, with games such as Virtua Cop, House Of The Dead, Gunblade NY, Virtual Racing, Space Harrier etc etc etc is ripe for VR plundering.

Adree

You never hear much about Rollercoaster Dreams, mainly because it's probably a bad game if you really get down to it. But god I have to appreciate the insanity of someone making an amusement park game that lets you interact with all the rides and games to wildly varying degrees of quality. Also it was updated to let you turn the goddamned screams off.

It's trash but sometimes I just want to ride a rollercoaster and it's the only place for that on PSVR.

Kyolux

You never hear much about Rollercoaster Dreams, mainly because it's probably a bad game if you really get down to it. But god I have to appreciate the insanity of someone making an amusement park game that lets you interact with all the rides and games to wildly varying degrees of quality. Also it was updated to let you turn the goddamned screams off.

It's trash but sometimes I just want to ride a rollercoaster and it's the only place for that on PSVR.

I thought you couldn't ride in VR?

Glix

New stuff I got -

Mortal Blitz - This game is a little janky but SO FUCKING FUN, I love it. You feel like such a badass popping out of cover and blasting guys.

Ping Pong - This is surprisingly good. It took me a TON of practice to get used to how much force they want me to hit with, but once I got it down... holy shit a good rally actually feels like a good IRL rally. Very impressed.

EVE - So I finally picked this up half off. I did the tutorial and then one team deathmatch match, and I think I came in in the middle of it. Match was a blast. Looks fantastic on pro. I will continue to play this. I wish there was a really well produced single player story driven dogfighting game however.

bumpkin

The guy that made Starship Disco is working on a FPS called Demon Grade. Features a new method of locomotion with full movement possible.

Sega will, apparently, be talking about their plans for VR soon.

Their back catalogue, with games such as Virtua Cop, House Of The Dead, Gunblade NY, Virtual Racing, Space Harrier etc etc etc is ripe for VR plundering.
Nice... I'd be up for Virtua Cop or HotD in VR. Time Crisis popped into my head because of the comparisons I've heard between it and Mortal Blitz in terms of play style. I always wanted an arcade perfect (or enhanced) version of the original TC. Not withstanding the fact it was never localized, it sucks that the "Gunvari Collection + Time Crisis" was basically the PSOne version as-is on the PS2.

Top Bottom