• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Newegg: Gran Turismo 6 (PS3) listed for November 28th release date

this thread is hilarious. i wonder if it was like this when GoW2 was announced for PS2 instead of 3 >_>

Well god of war wasnt Sony's biggest franchise.

This is like MS releasing Halo 5 on 360 the week before the 720 hits stores or something. Its dumb but its the kind of dumb we come to expect from Sony Japan.

Seanspeed

Banned
MS will have Forza at launch. No need for Sony to allow that series any unnecessary attention.
Its hardly a guarantee Forza will be a launch or near-launch title. And they've been allowing Forza to grab attention all throughout this generation with its bi-annual releases. They've never been particularly concerned about that in the past obviously.

I think it would be great if it was cross-gen, but I wouldn't hold out too much hope.

This is like MS releasing Halo 5 on 360 the week before the 720 hits stores or something. Its dumb but its the kind of dumb we come to expect from Sony Japan.

and hows that? when have Sony done something like this before?

this thread is hilarious. i wonder if it was like this when GoW2 was announced for PS2 instead of 3 >_>

You´re missing the point. People that follow the series are upset because if GT6 is PS3 and 2013, then it means a proper next gen GT would be out in 2017-2018, and nobody wants to wait that long.

It would be different if they told us "GT6 is in 2013 and GT7 for PS4 comes in xmas 2014".

Also, GT was severily constrained by the PS3, so it makes a lot of sense to go to next gen ASAP to produce that game like you intended, not just dumbing it down and cutting things because the hardware can´t support it.

ruttyboy

People are entitled to be upset. A lot have been expecting to play a next gen GT sooner rather than much later..

And why have they been expecting that when there has been no indication whatsoever that that would happen?

Something I've noticed though, the same people who are assuming that they are releasing it on PS3 at the same time as the PS4 release are generally the same people who think that any PD game is inevitably delayed. So there you go, problem solved, they aim for PS4 release day and date and then, because they can't make that date because PD lol (amirite?!), they miss by miles, DC gets tonnes of time by itself, everybody's* happy!

* Except for the people wanting a PS4 GT game... and those who want a PS3 GT this year... OK so only Evolution Studios is happy. Happy now?

spwolf

You´re missing the point. People that follow the series are upset because if GT6 is PS3 and 2013, then it means a proper next gen GT would be out in 2017-2018, and nobody wants to wait that long..

why? will they stand on their heads for 4-5 years now or whats the deal? Give us the scoop.

noobasuar

Banned

Totally different situation. Back then Sony was on top of the world and could do whatever they wanted. Now thier in a weak postion so releasing thier biggest ip next to a system launch that can't even play it is crazy.

But that's Sony for you.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
another bad move from Sony if this is real.

GT6 on PS3 (and same time as PS4 and this will hurt DriveClub big time) PD making GT for PS3 instead of PS4 mean a proper GT will not get out on PS4 any soon too,GT6 Sales on PS3 are not guaranteed to be better than PS4 because PS3 software are in decline,just look as GOW:A that did very poorly in Europe and GT6 may follow it too and sell way less(at least on PS4 it will help pushing the system for years).

So yea another bad decision here,and to be honest Shu Yoshida is full of bad decisions lately and this reflects on their software output (which is very bad for years now),Shu really need to go.

Arklite

GT6 will likely end up being "what GT5 should've been." Hopefully with a lot more tracks, and a Citta di Aria remake.

That would only be a good comparison if the PS4 is released this autumn in Europe (i.e. GT's biggest market by a distance). Which it probably won't.

I think its premature to get so stressed over something that has not even been announced or has any credible rumors.

For all we know, we might have gotten a next gen GT games years after launch anyways.

GT6 on PS3 (and same time as PS4 and this will hurt DriveClub big time) PD making GT for PS3 instead of PS4 mean a proper GT will not get out on PS4 any soon too,GT6 Sales on PS3 are not guaranteed to be better than PS4 because PS3 software are in decline,just look as GOW:A that did very poorly in Europe and GT6 may follow it too and sell way less(at least on PS4 it will help pushing the system for years).

So yea another bad decision here,and to be honest Shu Yoshida is full of bad decisions lately and this reflects on their software output (which is very bad for years now),Shu really need to go.

Leave Yoshida-chan alone ;_;

KKRT00

Comments are that are just ...

Yep, GT 6 for PS4 would push PS4, but it would not make money, because it would be bundled heavily. But on PS3, even with sales decline, they will be able to get 5m sold for 60$, which means at least 200m$ profit for Sony.

There is also no reason for Sony to not release enhanced edition of GT 6 for PS4 half a year/year after PS3 launch.

Totally different situation. Back then Sony was on top of the world and could do whatever they wanted. Now thier in a weak postion so releasing thier biggest ip next to a system launch that can't even play it is crazy.

But that's Sony for you.

~70 million consoles sold after a year late start is hardly weak imo.

i'm not sure what the 'thats sony for you' line is supposed to mean, they have been exceptional in having great software for PS3.

edit: sorry thats actually ~77 million, and there are reports it could end up selling more than the 360 too. so "weak" is hardly how i'd describe it.

velociraptor

I agree. The MAIN reason why I want a PS4 is GT6. I'll be pissed if Sony do something batshit insane as releasing it on the PS2.

There is also no reason for Sony to not release enhanced edition of GT 6 for PS4 half a year/year after PS3 launch.

This sound believable.

GT6 launch on PS3. It's what GT5 should have been, return of the mediterranean tracks, new tracks like bathurst, all premium cars, etc.

1 Year later, GT6 remastered drops on PS4 with high fidelity graphics, improved physics, more cars on tracks, better online functionality, additional cars & tracks etc.

noobasuar

Banned

i'm not sure what the 'thats sony for you' line is supposed to mean, they have been exceptional in having great software for PS3.

edit: sorry thats actually ~77 million, and there are reports it could end up selling more than the 360 too. so "weak" is hardly how i'd describe it.

Compared to where they were a generation ago, I would say they are in a weak position. Back then they were able to sell the PS3 off of all the goodwill from the PS2 and it was assumed they would hold on to all their third party exlcusive IP's like Final Fantasy, MGS, Silent Hill etc.. Microsoft was able to come in and scoop up all of that stuff and now you see the same exact games on both platforms.

Without any third party exclusives, I think that you need to bring your biggest IP's to your new platform early on to guarantee sales.

don't worry, it's noobasuar, just ignore him. he's very well known for trolling everything sony, he even got banned a few months ago, exactly because of that.

on topic though, here's a few thoughts.
here's the sales figures for GT games in each region:
EU: 33,42m
NA: 23,2m
JP/ASIA: 11,46m
as everyone can see, europe is the biggest region for gt and a very good region for sony hardware.

furthermore, i'm guessing everyone will have a price cut this year (wii/wiiU/360/ps3).
if you look at the list of games that sony still hasn't released, it's still a nice amount of titles (beyond, puppeteer, last of us, invizimals, until dawn, rain, wonderbook 2 or whatever you wanna call it).
add the rumors of lbp3 to that list, and now gt6 and it's pretty clear that it shows that they have a clear intent of supporting the hell out of ps3 in 2013 at least (since i'm guessing all of these will launch in 2013, doesn't seem that far-fetched).
the ps3 isn't going to fall out of the face of the earth when the ps4 launches, and we don't even know if it's going to launch in europe this year. if it doesn't come out, having a cheaper ps3 with support from sony is the only thing they have against nintendo and microsoft in that territory, and gt6 will be a big hit in europe.
and again, nothing stops them from releasing gt6 spec 2 or whatever they want to call it on ps4 in 2014.

Niks

GT6 for PS3 means PD has spent the last 2 years developing a game for PS3 instead of developing a game for PS4. Simple as that.

spwolf said:
why? will they stand on their heads for 4-5 years now or whats the deal? Give us the scoop.

Polyphony most likely will have to remake most tracks from scratch (geometry+textures), for them to be up to PS4 specs. Current GT5 tracks don't cut it. (see trial mountain).

Trial Mountain wasn't completely remade for GT5 though. It was one of the "standard" tracks.

Tracks that were could hold their ground on PS4 with just some upgrades. (See Spa/Nurburgring/Tokyo/etc)

Niks

Yeah, Trial Mountain is the worst case, but going by the latest trailer, the supposed "new" tracks (seattle, apricot hill) dont look too hot either.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Metalmurphy said:
But imo what makes these tracks look bad is the geometry detail, the rest should be easy to upgrade to a PS4 version.
Could argue that the two main geometry-offenders (paper-people and trees) are reasonable to transparently upgrade with hw as well as they are mainly procedural/not needing a ton of uniquely built assets.

Raoh

I'd say the difference between MS and Sony in this case is that Sony has always made it a point to support last gen hardware, where MS, even on the desktop and os side of things and especially in the hardware side pushes for you to drop last gen and buy new gen only.

If ms wanted to support last gen hardware a good example would be, Forza Horizon for 360 and Forza 5 for 720 within a year or two of each other.

This sound believable.

GT6 launch on PS3. It's what GT5 should have been, return of the mediterranean tracks, new tracks like bathurst, all premium cars, etc.

1 Year later, GT6 remastered drops on PS4 with high fidelity graphics, improved physics, more cars on tracks, better online functionality, additional cars & tracks etc.

This is just pure incompetence if it happens

Top Bottom