• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout New Vegas |OT| Obsidian does what Bethesdon't

epmode

This OP is a lot more interesting than the shameless ad-blitz we get for most other games. It's only natural that it gets a bunch of complaints, I guess.

epmode said:
This OP is a lot more interesting than the shameless ad-blitz we get for most other games. It's only natural that it gets a bunch of complaints, I guess.
But it fails to realise that a bunch of people, especially the console crowd. Don't care about the originals and actually enjoyed Fallout 3 for what it was worth. The guy said it was on short notice but the whole "real fallout 3" thing struck me as a bit snobby. Thing isn't even out yet. I do agree with you on the rest of it though- I can go to Wikipedia or Amazon and find out the price, collector's edition content. The rest of it was better. /shit sandwich

Visualante said:
But it fails to realise that a bunch of people, especially the console crowd. Don't care about the originals and actually enjoyed Fallout 3 for what it was worth. The guy said it was on short notice but the whole "real fallout 3" thing struck me as a bit snobby. Thing isn't even out yet. I do agree with you on the rest of it though- I can go to Wikipedia or Amazon and find out the price, collector's edition content. The rest of it was better. /shit sandwich

I've since removed that section. To be honest, I'm not even near what you'd call a PC/Fallout snob. I loved Fallout 3. I was just really, really excited that the Obsidian dudes got to work on a Fallout game again. Perhaps I went overboard.

I'm hoping to change to OP title. From here on out it's discussion of the game.

Wallach

disappeared said:
I've since removed that section. To be honest, I'm not even near what you'd call a PC/Fallout snob. I loved Fallout 3. I was just really, really excited that the Obsidian dudes got to work on a Fallout game again. Perhaps I went overboard.

Don't you worry, I'll handle the PC/Fallout snobbery around here. It's fine. We got this.

Felix Lighter said:
I can already feel my bottle cap obsession returning.

To stay on-topic, I am fucking stoked for this game and will be using my Best Buy gift card on it.

More to the point of this post, you might have my favorite username and avatar on GAF.

I'm definitely going to give the hardcore mode a go. It was too easy to become substantially overpowered in Fallout 3 to the point where there was little to nothing the Capital Wasteland could throw at you that represented even a slight semblance of a threat.

I'm hoping the hardcore mode forces you to keep on your toes throughout the whole experience.

Clott

What to do what to do. I beat fallout 3, and have to admit I really enjoyed myself, I was really immersed in that game but by the end I did grow pretty tired of the desert setting. Here I am I just bought Stalker: Clear Sky and about to install the complete mod pack.

This would be my first stalker game, I wanted to start with what was chronologically correct. Should I drop it...or should I give it a go.

epmode

Stalker is pretty great but I'd start with Shadow of Chernobyl + the Complete mod. Clear Sky is considered the worst of the three. Call of Pripyat is supposedly the best vanilla game but I don't think is has a Complete mod on part with SoC yet.

Wallach

I suppose it would be unsightly to change the thread title to "You fight like old people fuck!"

Edit - God, going back through old Fallout 2 quotes and easter eggs makes me want to play it again.

Myron: I feel like I've passed an arbitrary experience point limit and gained more power.

Good thing that piece of shit didn't live long enough to be in NV.

Wag

disappeared said:
First secret/easter egg revealed?

Just pulled this off of Bethesda's blog, from an interview with Obsidian's Eric Beaumont:
Please spoiler all easter eggs.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
disappeared said:
Hope my thread didn't disappoint. It's been a strange time comin'.

easter egg spoiler'd.

It's fine, I don't really feel the extremely large OTs really add anything to the forum, so talking about the history of Fallout development and so forth makes it more interesting than most. If it wasn't finished you should've waited another day though, as most people read the OP when it's first posted, not later on. For future reference.

I like the OP, though I admit I did not read it in its 'vanilla' form.

I'm doing a 3rd play through of F3 - I did it once on my PS3, then on my PC with all the DLC - with the realistic day/night time, Book of Earache, and Wolfskin Backpack mods enabled. I was amazed at how much more awesome the game is with these three small mods loaded (using FMM of course); the realistic day/night mod is awesome, adding a whole new layer of atmosphere to the game.

I was sad to see that the F3 story is not referenced at all. It would have been nice to have a handle of small references to the BoS mission and Project Purity. Oh well.

LugNut74

Yes OT is up. Simply can't wait for this game to drop. First play through will be normal difficulty - hardcore mode. Going to be so much fun diving into the Fallout universe once again.

Trick_GSF

Banned
According to Fallout Wiki a few best buy employees have their hands on the official guide and are revealing details on various sites, such as NMA and The Vault. As of yet, I've seen no end-game spoilers, but the way I see it, it's only a matter of time, so be careful what you read if you visit these sites, if you don't wanna get spoiled, that is.

As for me, it's blackout time. And that includes this thread. Hope everyone enjoys the game. :D

ScrubJay

Been hyped for this game all year and I still have no idea how I'm going to play it, Good or Evil, Normal or Hardcore. I think I'm just going to flip a coin and dive in. I kind of wanted to play Fallout 1 and 2 beforehand but I never had the time for that.

Tobor

Trick_GSF said:
According to Fallout Wiki a few best buy employees have their hands on the official guide and are revealing details on various sites, such as NMA and The Vault. As of yet, I've seen no end-game spoilers, but the way I see it, it's only a matter of time, so be careful what you read if you visit these sites, if you don't wanna get spoiled, that is.

As for me, it's blackout time. And that includes this thread. Hope everyone enjoys the game. :D
Yep, same here. There's already been one spoiler in here I thankfully missed. Enjoy everybody!

Swag

I'm guessing this isn't a steam works title?

If I buy the game physically on the PC do I have to manually patch or does GFWL do awesome things and automatically DL patches for me, see: Steam.

Wallach

Sebulon3k said:
I'm guessing this isn't a steam works title?

If I buy the game physically on the PC do I have to manually patch or does GFWL do awesome things and automatically DL patches for me, see: Steam.

It is Steamworks actually.

Karud

Yeah, it's post nuclear war time! Again.

Fallout 3 was easily the best Next-Gen game I played so far.
Even the guy from zero punctuation only got some lame
arguments for his rant.

I still don't know where to buy it:
If I order it from amazon.de it will be brutally cut (it's not even an option)
If I order it from amazon.co.uk I won't get it within a week (50€)
If I order it from zavvi.com I probably have to wait until early november (43€)
If I buy it on the first day at my local dealer (60€), I feel ripped off.

Will the PEGI version be uncut and in english? Help me GAF.

Mr YuYu

tokkun said:
And I would rather discuss the game itself than have the thread be dominated by an Obsidian vs Bethesda troll war. Right now it seems like the main purpose of the OP was to make an editorial comment about what the Fallout series should be, with appreciation of the game taking a back seat. And the thread title certainly isn't helping.
I liked the background information about the developer! A lot!

But yes, a little bit more info about the game itself wouldn't have hurt.

Any early news on the console version, any difference i fancy getting it on ps3 pad lends itself better to my hands for long periods of gaming but i dont wanna get a the gimped version. Wonder if it runs in 1080p on ps3.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
supermackem said:
Any early news on the console version, any difference i fancy getting it on ps3 pad lends itself better to my hands for long periods of gaming but i dont wanna get a the gimped version. Wonder if it runs in 1080p on ps3.

Don't count on it.

hamchan

Karud said:

arguments for his rant.

If it was me I would order it from Zavvi and just wait for a while, since I am a cheap ass.

Xater

On the one hand I think I am fit for some more Fallout after all, but on the other I don't trust Obsidian at all these days.

jorma

is now taking requests
Karud said:

arguments for his rant.

Buy it from axelmusic.com (€41), as they will ship it on the 18th/19th and you will have it about a week later. Seems like a nice compromise if a US version does not bother you.

Rad-

Didn't enjoy Fallout 3 at all but I hope Obsidian nails the proper Fallout feeling. I have my doubts though.

Great OP, I always enjoy hearing about the history of a popular game franchise that's not sanitized like a Wikipedia article. No banners or giant jpegs all up in my shit either, always a plus.

This might have been asked before but I was wondering if the game takes the save from the first game or is it a completely brand new game?

Wallach

sweetvar26 said:
This might have been asked before but I was wondering if the game takes the save from the first game or is it a completely brand new game?

The game doesn't use any kind of data from the first game to my knowledge. Fresh start.

HK-47 said:
This is an Obsidian game that is the sequel to a Bethesda game on the Gamebryo engine.

1+1+1 = oh god where are the modders

Actually working on this game as part of development team? At least one is, if I remember it right.

iammeiam

I played the shit out of FO3, and actually really enjoyed Alpha Protocol, so I'm in. The freedom of FO3 combined with the sort of choices AP presented would make me happy.

squicken

I loved FO3 and can't wait for this. But I've got a few questions:

1. I've pre-ordered through Steam. Will it pre-load, or will I have to download the whole thing next week?

2. I know Bethesda and Obsidian have reputations for buggy ass games, and I experienced that stuff with their console ports. But on PC, am I better off just waiting for the first major patch?

Top Bottom