• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online |OT2| Unlimited Crowns, Limited Skooma

lazygecko

That moment when you spend like 20 minutes tweaking your new character in the character creator, only to realize when you're done that you forgot one crucial thing like faction or voice, etc.

This time I made a beefy orc, only to find out that I left the heigth slider at minimum.

gossi

Update 6 launches on Tuesday, maybe Wednesday. It reworks many of the core systems in the game (refunding all health, stamina, magicka and skill points for all players for example) and adds better stealth, stealing, murdering and NPC day/night schedules, jobs and houses.

The Elder Scrolls Online becomes Tamriel Unlimited on March 17th.

Link0080

The Elder Scrolls Online becomes Tamriel Unlimited on March 17th.

I've been really wanting to play this again, I think I'm gonna resub until the 17th. I think I only got to 25 or so and really enjoyed it. Have they changed the veteran leveling? I remember people not liking it.

gossi

I've been really wanting to play this again, I think I'm gonna resub until the 17th. I think I only got to 25 or so and really enjoyed it. Have they changed the veteran leveling? I remember people not liking it.

No. They still go to other zones after finishing main quest. I don't mind that.

hepburn3d

That moment when you spend like 20 minutes tweaking your new character in the character creator, only to realize when you're done that you forgot one crucial thing like faction or voice, etc.

This time I made a beefy orc, only to find out that I left the heigth slider at minimum.

I think I've got to lvl 15 before only realize I hated my character and knew I had no choice but to re-roll.

Patiently awaiting 1.6. I'm excited for a free re-spec! Thinking about ditching Werewolf as I rarely find a need to use it other than for random fun, so I'll be happy to get those skill points back.

hepburn3d

How's 1.6? How much did it break so far? lol

7am (GMT) here and the EU server is not back up for me yet :( Will check after work now.

Read through all of 1.6.5 patch notes and it all sounds great. I foresee less patch notes and more DLC in future now ... i'm ok with that.

lazygecko

The sudden appearance of the justice system is... disorienting to say the least, considering we've been pretty much indoctrinated to just casually loot everything in sight in towns and buildings. The ability to attack friendly NPCs is also an opt out feature which is on by default. First thing I did was attack the banker by mistake and got my ass handed to me.

Lots of cool new features all around. I especially like all the new functions added to the camera settings. Now you can enable a view bob in first person, and your character won't go into frame mode while editing the camera so you can view your changes in real time which is much more handy when trying out different FoVs and such. You can also customize camera position and offsets on both the X and Y axis for third person mode. So you can get rid of the GoW-style perspective and keep your character centered all the time which I appreciate.

Some of the class skills can now also be morphed to use and scale from stamina instead of magicka, which should be a relief for stamina-centered builds.

Seems to be plenty of smaller undocumented changes as well. I noticed they got rid of the stupid boob window from the higher level orcish female heavy armor style, haha.

hepburn3d

First thing I did was attack the banker by mistake and got my ass handed to me.

lol thanks for the heads up on this, can imagine I would have done this exact thing, will turn it off after a bit of fun :p

Now you can enable a view bob in first person, and your character won't go into frame mode while editing the camera so you can view your changes in real time which is much more handy when trying out different FoVs and such.

Really looking forward to playing low level alts in first person. It's not do-able in end game for me but early on it's amazing fun.

Some of the class skills can now also be morphed to use and scale from stamina instead of magicka, which should be a relief for stamina-centered builds.

My main is all stamina based and I cannot wait to see how this changes my DPS. My only gripe is the few magicka based abilities I used are now stamina based so I have no use for a magicka pool at all, wish there was an expensive self heal spell I could use it for ... fingers crossed spell crafting brings that

hepburn3d

Ok 1.6 is awesome! It's like the game has finally reached blossom. Just some impression from last nights playing:
  • Stamina builds are now epic. I actually pwned a Craglorn mob that used to decimate me. It was beautiful. A lot of the skills and their morphs are now amazing!
  • Stealing is awesome. Equally watching others getting caught and chased down is epic.
  • The subtle animation changes are refreshing. Healers look different to battle mages now, their stance makes a big difference. A lot of my skill animations feel much more fluid.
  • Bank + inventory space! So many things stack to 200, I have so much space now its great :D
  • Refining and crafting writs, the gold drop rate is awesome!!! Just from last night I managed to make a gold bow, sword and 2 pieces of armour.
  • pets, mounts + costumes tab! This is a welcome change. Love this :)
  • The introduction game play. Everyone I've heard who's played it is now loving the new intro.

... and so much more.

I spent an hour grinding Spellscar as an experiment and earned about 50'000/400'000 XP towards a champion point. Those points are going to come very slowly. I also went into a craglorn mob having spent 0 champion points and then tried the same mob after spending 70 and the difference was slight but noticeable. I think to be able to do end game 70 is going to be about the minimum. I noticed I was very fragile compared to before as well. So I've had to focus my points a lot more on survivability rather than DPS, which is weird as a DD but it's worked out well.

Also ... Reapers Mark!!! A must slot now! No negative and massive bonus. For mobs and single target enemies.

docbon

Just arrived in Mournhold. Looking pretty good.

ttIWaty.png

lazygecko

Probably going to pick this up soon. What's a good solo class with survivability?

There is no real answer here and that's the beauty of the game. Classes in TESO are far from as solidified and restricted as they are in other MMORPGs. All classes give you access to 3 unique skill lines with class-specific abilities, but that's only one facet of your character customization. Weapon, armor, guild, etc skills are all universally accessible regardless of class. You can make a berserking two-handed heavy armor Nightblade, or a sneaky backstabbing Templar, or a Sorcerer focusing mainly on archery attacks, etc. It's all up to you.

hepburn3d

^ agree with the above

Probably going to pick this up soon. What's a good solo class with survivability?

Every play style is survivable in different ways. You can be so armoured up it takes enemies a few hours to kill you, a healer who just keeps going forever or a DPS who does damage so quick the mob doesn't get a shot off. A combination of all works well for solo play, especially with bosses. You can just jump in and try everything out which is great. I think I've almost completed everything now and I still change my skills around constantly depending on what I'm going to do (Wish there was deck manager)

I think I tried 2 different classes before I settled on the one I liked.

What's your favorite play style jag?

Been playing the new update and I love it. Oh, and anyone who wants in on the North American guild, just send me an in-game letter @XTVengeance, and I will add you when I get it.

Jag

^ agree with the above

Every play style is survivable in different ways. You can be so armoured up it takes enemies a few hours to kill you, a healer who just keeps going forever or a DPS who does damage so quick the mob doesn't get a shot off. A combination of all works well for solo play, especially with bosses. You can just jump in and try everything out which is great. I think I've almost completed everything now and I still change my skills around constantly depending on what I'm going to do (Wish there was deck manager)

I think I tried 2 different classes before I settled on the one I liked.

What's your favorite play style jag?

I prefer DPS. Kill fast and move on to the next. However, I do want some survivability and the ability to kill tougher mobs. I actually played the beta, but the game was too rough at that point and I was raiding in WoW, so I never picked it up. I think I played a mage type in beta.

KePoW

Banned
I prefer DPS. Kill fast and move on to the next. However, I do want some survivability and the ability to kill tougher mobs. I actually played the beta, but the game was too rough at that point and I was raiding in WoW, so I never picked it up. I think I played a mage type in beta.

whoa why u get banned???

Setzer

There is no real answer here and that's the beauty of the game. Classes in TESO are far from as solidified and restricted as they are in other MMORPGs. All classes give you access to 3 unique skill lines with class-specific abilities, but that's only one facet of your character customization. Weapon, armor, guild, etc skills are all universally accessible regardless of class. You can make a berserking two-handed heavy armor Nightblade, or a sneaky backstabbing Templar, or a Sorcerer focusing mainly on archery attacks, etc. It's all up to you.

That's one of the things I love most about ESO - freedom to play how you want to play. Most MMO's today allow you to pick a class and then force you to pick a path and you can't deviate from it. You're also restricted to certain weapon and armor types. I understand from a developer's perspective it makes things easier to balance but I hate picking a class and knowing that I won't be any different than the next guy who also plays the same class. In ESO, you're rarely going to find two people using the exact same build with the same load out of skills, which is awesome.

Tried to get back in this game again. I'm having fun but the game is crashing constantly, especially if I attempt to alt tab out of it.

Seems like it's a common problem on the forums. I dunno what to do about it.

Also how long does it take to get to max VR now?

hepburn3d

Hard to say how long it will take to get max VR now as they are nerfing Craglorn hard to stop the Champ Point farmers. I got to Vet 12 after completing Cadwell's Gold and had to grind Spellscar in Craglorn for 2 hours to get the last 2. I didn't have to grind them out but I wanted to craft a vet14 armor set before taking on the higher content.

How are people finding the update?

I was enjoying earning a champion point daily then the nerfing happened and I can't find any way to earn one effeciently now. Tried doing Craglorn dailies, 2-3 hours effort, 5%? Tried running a few dungeons, another 5%! An hour of PvP, 1%!!! :( this is while enlightened to. Hope this get resolved. It's a great system but there's no way to earn them right now, maybe this is all in preparation for DLC, which would make a lot of sense.

Also playing a low level Templar healer in PvP, now that is fun! It's great keeping people alive and watching them decimate their enemy who thought they had the advantage.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
help me decide on class to pick.

going by these play styles.

in guild wars 1 i loved ranger. in guild wars 2 i love guardian, in marvel heroes i enjoy playing ms marvel and captain america, in diablo 3 i enjoy crusader and ranger.

hepburn3d

With all the stat resets, can someone give me a good PvE/PvP templar tank build? lol

Did you find a good build? I've never made a Templar tank before so don't know what skills would work.

help me decide on class to pick.

going by these play styles.

in guild wars 1 i loved ranger. in guild wars 2 i love guardian, in marvel heroes i enjoy playing ms marvel and captain america, in diablo 3 i enjoy crusader and ranger.

Sounds like you'd enjoy a bow, which means you'll like a stamina based player. So that leans towards nightblades + dragonknights. You could make a DPS or a Tank? Then again if a guardian is a healer then you'll love Templars and you'll want to go heavily Magicka.

You can get a feel for each play style pretty quick. I think i re-rolled a few times before I stuck with my character.

I have a DPS Nightblade, that has sword and shield as the secondary, and it is baller as hell. I can tank decently, and I excel at DPS.

KePoW

Banned
I played ESO at launch and really liked it a lot. But I only finished one faction's storyline, I think Daggerfall Covenant

How would yall rank each of the three storylines? Is Aldmeri Dominion kool??

hepburn3d

Any estimation on when Dark Brotherhood and Thieves' Guild will be added, or did they come with update 6?

They're not out yet, though the justice system has added thieving and a Thieves refuge, which is awesome! They've not been mentioned in a while so I'd guess they may be future DLC or a way off, imo.

I played ESO at launch and really liked it a lot. But I only finished one faction's storyline, I think Daggerfall Covenant

How would yall rank each of the three storylines? Is Aldmeri Dominion kool??

I'd rank the stories:
  1. Aldmeri Dominion
  2. Daggerfall Covenant
  3. Ebonheart

I'd rank the maps:
  1. Daggerfall Covenant
  2. Ebonheart
  3. Aldmeri Dominion

I really like the AD visuals but navigating the maps was quite annoying with all the cliffs and huge trees. I love the Pact, didn't like the
Ash rain and lava rivers
to start with in the first map but after a while I really liked it.

justjim89

God, the most frustrating thing about this game is the install time. 50GB for the initial install then another install within the game launcher that takes forever.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Looking forward to seeing impressions as to whether this will be worth the price of entry (~$23 last time I checked?) once the dust settles on the sub-less model.

hepburn3d

Amazing pics queen. Are you using screenFX?

Hope returning and new players enjoy the update. Just played through the EP main story and it's changed. So much better as well :)

CROWN STORE INCOMING!

Sblargh

Banned
Looking forward to try this; from what I've been reading, it won't be F2P, but just subscription-less.
What is worrying me is: DLC? Zones and quests and other non-cosmetic stuff as DLC?

From the official FAQ:

What is downloadable content (also known as DLC)?
DLC for The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited consists of game packs with optional adventuring content (zones, quests, etc.) added to the game to enhance your game play experience should you choose. It is not required.

Will this be the catch? Will this be horrible?

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
thats just standard game settings at max but downsampling through nvidia dsr at 3840x2160

sweet fx doesnt work with direct x 11 ):

no i dont think so just additional content like new zones

Sblargh

Banned
One question before I dump money I don't have on it on the hope that my life will be magically better before the next credit card bill: how strict are they with the holy trinity? I.e., is the game full of "LF1M Tank" times 45 minutes because tanking is horrible in every MMO ever and almost no one wants to be one?

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
One question before I dump money I don't have on it on the hope that my life will be magically better before the next credit card bill: how strict are they with the holy trinity? I.e., is the game full of "LF1M Tank" times 45 minutes because tanking is horrible in every MMO ever and almost no one wants to be one?

can solo the game, theres dungeons etc which im sure we can do with guild

lazygecko

The game has the trinity but it's more loose and flexible in how group content works. Tanks cannot and aren't meant to pull entire groups of braindead mobs and soak up all the damage from them.

I was tanking one dungeon and we faced a boss with magic attacks which utterly destroyed us in melee range. After a couple a couple of deaths we all just decided to equip ranged weapons, kite it around and just pitch in with healing whenever we could. We totally cheesed through the fight that way.

KePoW

Banned
thats just standard game settings at max but downsampling through nvidia dsr at 3840x2160

sweet fx doesnt work with direct x 11 ):

no i dont think so just additional content like new zones

lol you went with Ebonheart as your first main character?

Holy Trinity for dungeons is like most normal MMOs, as in necessary. Personally I think this is good for gameplay

As opposed to Guild Wars 2 which tried no holy trinity, and quite frankly is a perfect example of how that's a major fail for dungeons. Doing dungeons with no holy trinity ended up being a clusterfuck in that game and not fun

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
For those that previously bought the game, you should be able to log in right now.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
new patch

OVERVIEW
We’re excited to introduce The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited! If you previously purchased ESO, your characters are ready to continue the adventure right now. And if you’re currently subscribed, you’ve automatically become a member of ESO Plus, our new premium membership!

We also have a number of fixes included in this patch including resolutions for the remaining issues with Enlightenment, random UI error messages, and more. Be sure to check out the full list of fixes below. This patch will be approximately 1-2GB in size.

We’re thrilled to begin this new chapter of The Elder Scrolls Online. Welcome to Tamriel Unlimited!

BIG CHANGES / UPDATES / NEW FEATURES

Crown Store
We are happy to introduce the Crown Store: an in-game store where you can buy customization and convenience items. To access the Crown Store, log into the game and press “,”.
Note that the Crown Store is not available from the character select screen.
You can use the items in the store to save some time, as well as customize your look with exotic pets, costumes, and mounts.
Items within the Crown Store can be previewed by hovering over the target item and pressing R.
To purchase an item, hover your mouse over the desired item and press E. You will need to confirm the purchase at the subsequent window.
Upon confirmation, crowns will be removed from your account and the item will be made accessible to you.
Items purchased from the Crown Store are non-refundable.
There are a variety of offerings that you can purchase now:
Pets
Pets cannot be traded or sold to others.
Once purchased, pets will become available in the Collections UI for all characters on your account to access.
Mounts
Mounts cannot be traded or sold to others.
Once purchased, mounts will become available in the Collections UI for all characters on your account to access.
Costumes
Once purchased, costumes will become available in the Collections UI for all characters on your account to access.
Costumes will only alter your appearance; your stats will remain unchanged.
Some special costumes, called polymorphs, will also be available. These are costumes that change your entire appearance, including your character’s model.
Costumes cannot be traded or sold to others.
Consumables
Consumables are items managed in your inventory that can be used in the same manner as current consumables. They can be right clicked, double-clicked, or loaded into a quick slot.
Crown Store Consumables cannot be traded or sold to others, and cannot be deleted without confirmation. They can, however, be moved to other characters on your account via the account bank.
Crown Store Consumables are designed to be an easily-accessible way to minimize down time. They are not designed to give anyone an unfair combat advantage.
Specific Crown Store Consumables are as follows:
Crown Repair Kits: These kits allow you to repair all currently-equipped items with a single use.
Crown Potions: These can be used at any level, and the strength is equivalent to your level. These are slightly better than potions that are dropped from monsters or purchased from a vendor, but never better than a crafted potion.
Crown Soul Gem: These can be used at any level on another player character of any level. When used to charge a weapon enchant, the enchantment becomes fully charged.
Bundles
Bundles are a collection of offerings through a single purchase.
The bundle will have each offering represented as an icon allowing you to preview it by hovering your mouse over the icon.
When attempting to purchase a bundle containing something you already own, you will be warned and prompted for confirmation, but are not prevented from purchasing the bundle.

KNOWN ISSUES
Crown Store
On the Mac game client, when you click on the in-game Crown Store "Buy Crowns" link, your internet browser will fail to open. You need to open an internet browser and manually input the URL.

Gameplay
The Champion menu is not immediately available when you first reach Veteran Rank 1. You can temporarily work around this by logging out and back in.
Rank I of the Nightblade ability Relentless Focus currently removes the visual glow on your equipped weapon after firing the Spectral Bow.

FIXES & IMPROVEMENTS

Alliance War
General
Enemy keep bonuses have been restored!

Audio
General
Cleaning a fish now sounds less obnoxious.
Swapping your weapons while having full Ultimate will no longer play the “Ultimate Ability Ready” sound.

Combat & Gameplay
General
Fixed an issue where some abilities, such as Meteor, were causing large amounts of fall damage when used against targets on ledges.

Nightblade
Assassination
Grim Focus:
This ability now only requires 7 light and/or heavy attacks to trigger Deadly Throw.
This ability will now always play visual effects while it’s active so you know when the ability needs to be refreshed.
Fixed some visual issues with the spectral bow.
Shadow
Shadow Cloak: Fixed an issue where this ability wasn’t removing channeled damage abilities, such as Radiant Destruction.

Templar
Restoring Light
Restoring Aura: This ability no longer removes major buffs from allies, such as Major Fortitude granted by Green Dragons Blood.

Armor
Light Armor
Concentration: Fixed an issue where this passive wasn’t granting any Spell Penetration.

World
Vampire
Fixed an issue where your appearance would not always change depending on which stage of vampirism you are on.
Werewolf
Call of the Pack: Fixed an issue with this passive not correctly giving additional transformation time to nearby Werewolf allies. Call of the Pack now increases the duration of nearby allies’ Werewolf Transformation for 5 seconds at Rank I, and 10 seconds at Rank II when the caster activates Werewolf Transformation.
Tooltips for all Werewolf transformation abilities now show their duration.

Guild
Undaunted
Shadow Silk: Fixed an issue where this ability would allow the caster to use the synergy, rather than the caster’s allies.

Champion System
Enlightenment
Fixed an issue where logging in with an existing unconverted character for the first time could restart the enlightenment process, once the process had begun.
Fixed an issue where it would appear as though a new character was accruing enlightenment.
Fixed an issue where it would appear as though you had gained a Champion Point, but were not able to use it.
Note: This was due to a desyncing issue, and you did not lose out on any earned Enlightenment or Champion Points.
Fixed an issue where it would appear as though you were Enlightened and progressing through the Champion System faster than you actually were.
The Mage Constellation
The Ritual
Last Stand: Fixed an issue where this passive wasn’t functioning.

Exploration & Itemization
Collections
Previewing a tabard while having a costume equipped will no longer cause your torso to disappear.

Itemization
Fixed an issue where Nirnhoned was ignoring all of a target’s Spell Resistance instead of the value specified in the tooltip.

Item Sets
Burning Spellweave: Fixed an issue where this item set was giving Weapon Critical instead of Spell Critical.

Justice System
General
Renamed the purple-quality stealable item "Bolt of the Second Numidium” to “Bolt of the Nimidium.” Akulakhan will never realize its ability to transcend time. That right belongs to another golem.
Fixed a rare issue where you could receive bounty for a crime despite no visible witnesses being present.

Miscellaneous
General
Adjusted the amount of distant objects that were loaded in an effort to optimize performance on DX9 and OpenGL.

Quests & Zones
Alik’r Desert
Malignant Militia: Killing Gudarz during your duel will no longer be considered murder for purposes of the Justice System.

UI
General
Fixed an issue where you would receive the message “You can’t do that while swimming” when attempting to perform certain actions while not actually swimming.
Fixed an issue where you would receive a repair message when you weren’t repairing any items.
Fixed an issue where editing a guild member note would cause a UI error.
Player character framing is now consistent within all UI screens; you will no longer appear to be too high on-screen while mounted.
Health bars will no longer disappear when zoning to a new area.
Note: This also fixes the issue where your health bar settings would get turned off after you encountered a loading screen.
Reverted the text color of the target unit frames back to white.

justjim89

I found the soul trap spell to fill soul gems, but I don't have any soul gems to fill. How am I supposed to recharge my enchanted weapons?

lazygecko

I found the soul trap spell to fill soul gems, but I don't have any soul gems to fill. How am I supposed to recharge my enchanted weapons?

Empty soul gems can be bought from vendors, or you can sometimes find them in locked chests, or you'll be looting them most of the time from bosses (including solo dungeons).

Jesus fucking Christ the patches for this game are gargantuan. The latest SWTOR expansion wasn't half as big as whatever patch I'm downloading.

Kurdel

Banned
So what are the odds that the server will crash tommorow at 10 am est? I am pretty hyped to get back in, but I am pretty pessimistic about the servers holding up...

Top Bottom