• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

D.Lo

It's definitely a remake of M2. Quite different in many ways to most other Metroid games since it has the set hunting goal. But it has a lot of Metroid staples added, and all the mod cons - pretty much the ultimate mapping system for example.

The action is very well done once you get over a learning curve though.

My Japanese special edition arrived too!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm not too far into Samus Returns... but it's kinda... bland so far. Especially the audio.

Also I hate to be that guy, but the 30FPS impacts the experience more than I thought it would.

It feels like a really good imitation of Metroid. I do like it a lot, and it's getting better and better as I progress, but the lack of distinct environments (particularly because of the too-ambient soundtrack) has been disappointing.

And the 30fps was jarring, yes.

D.Lo

For me the issue is playing an intense game on 3DS hurts my hands, I think it's games that require use of both shoulder buttons because others games are fine. Might try an XL.

For me the issue is playing an intense game on 3DS hurts my hands, I think it's games that require use of both shoulder buttons because others games are fine. Might try an XL.

I've tried every model of 3ds and I fucking hate all of them. If the game requires use of the triggers I'm fucked. My hands and forearms get sore and it runs all the way up into my shoulders then my neck. I'm having issues with my hands these days and the 3ds is becoming borderline unplayable unless it's a turn based game.

The 2ds is the best 3ds for ergonomics but the worst for portability.

As for metroid, I'm enjoying it so far. Playing with the circle pad is tough to get used to, I'm not used to having a melee party and the graphics suck( I'm admittedly biased to sprites) but overall it's sucking me in like metroidvanias do and I'm having fun with it!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Do you guys think this game will be released for the Switch down the line? I kinda want to wait for it so i can play it on a tv instead, really dont care for the 3DS much.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
My n3DSXL doesn't bother me while playing but that's probably because I play lying in bed on my back with my elbows resting on the mattress and my head propped up my a couple of pillows.

D.Lo

The last Metroid is in captivity.

2S87hj0.jpg
My Japanese Metroid collection is once again complete.

My n3DSXL doesn't bother me while playing but that's probably because I play lying in bed on my back with my elbows resting on the mattress and my head propped up my a couple of pillows.

I have to play handhelds sitting up or my arms get messed up. I usually prefer XL size for DSi and 3DS (Vita is by default) since I like to hold them out at arms length on my lap.

For hand cramps, it's always best to let DS/3DS systems have a pretty loose grip. Like let some air between your palms and the system. I find that helps a lot.

I've tried every model of 3ds and I fucking hate all of them. If the game requires use of the triggers I'm fucked. My hands and forearms get sore and it runs all the way up into my shoulders then my neck. I'm having issues with my hands these days and the 3ds is becoming borderline unplayable unless it's a turn based game.

I have to play handhelds sitting up or my arms get messed up. I usually prefer XL size for DSi and 3DS (Vita is by default) since I like to hold them out at arms length on my lap.

For hand cramps, it's always best to let DS/3DS systems have a pretty loose grip. Like let some air between your palms and the system. I find that helps a lot.

wow, i thought i was the only one. my hands get numb playing my n3ds xl. i had to move to a smaller n3ds that reduced it but still happens if i lie down and play at a certain angle.
keeps me from playing it long periods.

Danny Dudekisser

Do you guys think this game will be released for the Switch down the line? I kinda want to wait for it so i can play it on a tv instead, really dont care for the 3DS much.

I doubt it, honestly... how many 3DS games have gotten ports to the Switch at this point? I'm drunk, but all I can think of is Azure Striker Gunvolt.

D.Lo

It's a 'very' 3DS game. The art is specifically designed for 3D and would not look incredible upscaled IMO, and the map on the second screen is fantastic, though I guess technically could be on pause just like the old games.

Maybe some 3DS games could be ported as downloads in a few years? Wii U had GBA and DS games.

Semi-related - 3DS not having Virtual Boy VC games is the biggest missed opportunity ever IMO. There will never again be a 3D console.

D.Lo

I'm floored they never put VB games on 3DS. Then again, I guess Nintendo would rather just forget that thing ever happened.
Either that is the explanation (if you look at their IR reports, they don't count it in their platform lists and never have) or they thought the ROI on a VB emulator would not be enough for the cost. I mean I guess a few people would buy Wario Land and maybe Mario Clash for $5 each and that would be it.

meppi

was this the precursor before they created the Nintendo power magazine?

No, that would have been Nintendo Fun Club News.
Club Nintendo Magazine is something similar like this but for Europe.
Not sure how it evolved in the UK, but in the Benelux and Dance at least it ended up changing into Nintendo Player after 4 years and then again into Ultra Player later on.
In Germany it kept the Club Nintendo moniker and kept running for many more years.
It's in that magazine that you can find some of those weird mario comics with Mario worshipping the devil and such. lol

I don't think the UK got a direct follow-up to Club Nintendo actually.

Peltz

As for metroid, I'm enjoying it so far. Playing with the circle pad is tough to get used to, I'm not used to having a melee party and the graphics suck( I'm admittedly biased to sprites) but overall it's sucking me in like metroidvanias do and I'm having fun with it!

The graphics truly are terrible. And it's not the hardware that is making me say that - I think plenty of 3DS games look good despite the low resolution - it's the really poor art style. It's fucking abominable:

Screen_Shot_2017_06_14_at_2.36.41_PM.png

The color of that enemy just doesn't look like it fits the rest of the scene. Seriously, what the fuck is that? If you're going to use so many vivid primary and secondary colors, make the game cartooney. If you're not, then make the game realistic.

But don't go for both "gritty" proportions and tons of bold and contrasting primary + secondary for every object in each scene. It's too jarring.

Seriously, these colors don't work:

ww5uq4puijnc9orhtxoh.png

It has nothing to do with the resolution or 3D effect or 30fps in the game. The contrasting colors simply hurt your eyes because they're really fucking ugly together.

It has nothing to do with the polygonal nature of the game either. Look at Retro's take on a polygonal Metroid art style:

Metroid-Prime-Trilogy-Launches-on-Wii-U.jpg

Metroid_Prime_Screenshot.png

261237-metroid-prime-3-corruption-wii-screenshot-phazon-can-help.png

These games were colorful, but they did not have so many bright/bold contrasting colors in each damn scene of the game. And that's how it should be.

The 2D games also didn't commit this error. I'm not going to blow out this thread with a ton of images, but trust me, even in the brightest scenes, all the colors worked together in harmony and had proper shading:
super-metroid-room.jpg

boss_imago.gif

Enemies actually looked like they could live in the environments via camouflage (even though they were not actually camouflaged in-game). There were no bright blue glowing bats in otherwise non-blue environments like that first picture from Samus Returns above.

/end rant

The graphics truly are terrible. And it's not the hardware that is making me say that - I think plenty of 3DS games look good despite the low resolution - it's the really poor art style. It's fucking abominable:

<snip>

/end rant
I've brought this up before but high contrast color is extremely important in handheld games due to the likelihood of someone trying to play in sunlight. You can see this in Fusion in Zero Mission as well, where all enemies and characters stand out against the background. I mean this was extra important here due to GBA but you can see the same thing in almost all Nintendo games on DS and 3DS as well; use of near-neon colors is pretty common.

I had the displeasure of trying to play MGS1 on a Vita on a bus last year. There were parts of the game that were so dark and gray that I just couldn't see anything.

You can even compare Luigi's Mansion on GC, already a pretty colorful game, to Dark Moon on 3DS and see way higher contrast between characters and background in the 3DS game.

D.Lo

Have to disagree, I think the graphics are quite good. Not knockout good, and 30fps is the biggest issue, but certainly not garbage. Really the only time they look bad are the close ups of poor textures on recharge stations, while they look fine from the regular side camera view. There's lots of nice detail in the backgrounds which I appreciate. As with all 3DS games, it looks a lot better in 3D due to having double the horizontal resolution that way.

It has a very similar art style to Metroid Prime 3 IMO. A bloomy high contrast sort of thing.

Metroid has had a wide variety of art styles, Super is much grittier than the anime-inspired Zero Mission. Prime 1 was relatively colourful, but Prime 2 was quite muted and more realistic, colour wise. Fusion is outright garish at points, I think it's the Metroid game with the biggest colour issues (and also has the hideous hunchback slithering colour blobs Samus sprite).

Have to disagree, I think the graphics are quite good. Not knockout good, and 30fps is the biggest issue, but certainly not garbage. Really the only time they look bad are the close ups of poor textures on recharge stations, while they look fine from the regular side camera view. There's lots of nice detail in the backgrounds which I appreciate. As with all 3DS games, it looks a lot better in 3D due to having double the horizontal resolution that way.

It has a very similar art style to Metroid Prime 3 IMO. A bloomy high contrast sort of thing.

Metroid has had a wide variety of art styles, Super is much grittier than the anime-inspired Zero Mission. Prime 1 was relatively colourful, but Prime 2 was quite muted and more realistic, colour wise. Fusion is outright garish at points, I think it's the Metroid game with the biggest colour issues (and also has the hideous hunchback slithering colour blobs Samus sprite).

I am going to agree with this fully. You just said everything I was going to.

IrishNinja

yeah, as someone who never finished metriod 2, i'm super happy with this. working too much but between this game & river city ransom: tokyo brawl, my 3DS is keeping me alive.

Either that is the explanation (if you look at their IR reports, they don't count it in their platform lists and never have) or they thought the ROI on a VB emulator would not be enough for the cost. I mean I guess a few people would buy Wario Land and maybe Mario Clash for $5 each and that would be it.

Bah, 3-D Tetris, Galactic Pinball, Red Alarm, Vertical Force, Teleroboxer, and Jack Bros. are pretty good games too! And then you have interesting Japan-only stuff like Insmouse no Yakata and Space Squash they could release. And they could even officially release finished-but-cancelled VB games Bound High, Dragon Hopper, and Zero Racers, too. That would be pretty awesome, particularly for one that still don't have publicly roms leaked like those latter two...

It's crazy that Nintendo has not made VB VC on the 3DS, and I at least definitely think that it is a mistake. The VB's library may be small but some of the games are pretty good. Sure it failed to sell, but what good does ignoring good or interesting games, some of which probably would sell enough to justify the cost of making an emulator, just because it failed decades ago make sense? I don't think it does... oh well.

3D was a mistake

While not essential, 3d is pretty cool. I always use my 3DS with the 3d slider set to max, it makes the graphics better for sure! It'd be a shame if 3d goes away, outside of VR that is...

Metroid finally arrived today but I won't play it until tomorrow unfortunately. Busy busy.

While not essential, 3d is pretty cool. I always use my 3DS with the 3d slider set to max, it makes the graphics better for sure! It'd be a shame if 3d goes away, outside of VR that is...

By 3D, I mean polygonal-based games instead of sprites. I'm living in 1999.

Peltz

Jesus there are a lot of Kirby games.

It’s like pink Sonic except if all the games were actually good.
Sonic has higher highs than Kirby. But Kirby is more consistent from title to title.
P.S. I think the iPhone X is a giant turd.

Sent from my iPhone.

I could buy 6 of my phone for the price of an iPhone X. Man it would suck to drop and smash that thing.

On topic, I'm of the opinion that a lot of the Kirby spinoffs are not very good. Like Kirby's Block Ball, Star Stacker, Air Ride...

D.Lo

I could buy 6 of my phone for the price of an iPhone X. Man it would suck to drop and smash that thing.

On topic, I'm of the opinion that a lot of the Kirby spinoffs are not very good. Like Kirby's Block Ball, Star Stacker, Air Ride...
Block ball was fucking awesome! Air Ride has some staunch defenders but I haven't played it.

Danny Dudekisser

I bought an iphone 8, but not an X, cuz it seems stupid as fuck. I don't even particularly like the iphone, but I use it because that's kinda all there is. Not getting involved with that broke-ass Android shit. I wish there was another decent option.

Anyway, I've been at Austin Game Conference getting drunk all week. It's been alright. I've generally been too drunk to play Metroid, so I haven't made much progress there, but I am enjoying it. My Omega still hasn't shipped. That's not really news. There's a girl who wants to go on a group date, but she's apparently kinda crazy, so I dunno what I should do there, but she's cute, so I'm sure I'll make a terrible decision. Anything else?

I have a business trip to Dallas next week so I'm saving Metroid mostly for then. I've been deep into Ys but I might play a little tonight before I go to bed.

I bought an iphone 8, but not an X, cuz it seems stupid as fuck. I don't even particularly like the iphone, but I use it because that's kinda all there is. Not getting involved with that broke-ass Android shit. I wish there was another decent option.

Anyway, I've been at Austin Game Conference getting drunk all week. It's been alright. I've generally been too drunk to play Metroid, so I haven't made much progress there, but I am enjoying it. My Omega still hasn't shipped. That's not really news. There's a girl who wants to go on a group date, but she's apparently kinda crazy, so I dunno what I should do there, but she's cute, so I'm sure I'll make a terrible decision. Anything else?

Go for it.

D.Lo

Not getting involved with that broke-ass Android shit.
Spat out my drink lol.

Reminds me of when Instagram came to Android, and people were complaining about potentially being flooded with 'the Android poors' posting 'pictures of ghettos' lol.

That said I agree, I fucking hate giant phones, Samsungs Pixels and post 6 iPhones now all look and feel like huge rounded ugly shit to me. Rocking the SE which is the only small and/or classy looking good spec phone available.

BTails

Went with an iPhone 8 as well, replacing my 6. Great size, in my opinion, not too big.

Speaking of iPhones, you guys play Downwell? It was a mobile game first, right? I’ve been playing it on Vita, and it’s got that “just one more go” classic arcade feel to it.

Danny Dudekisser

Went with an iPhone 8 as well, replacing my 6. Great size, in my opinion, not too big.

Speaking of iPhones, you guys play Downwell? It was a mobile game first, right? I’ve been playing it on Vita, and it’s got that “just one more go” classic arcade feel to it.

Yeah, Downwell is cool. Though, I played it on PC, because I ain't some kind of savage.

Not getting involved with that broke-ass Android shit. I wish there was another decent option.

Oh you mean the Android phones that Apple is so desperately trying to play catchup with ?

You're out of town and she's crazy. Sounds like a perfect match to me!

KC-Slater

Kirby's too often used as the seat-filler when Nintendo wants to publish a game, but feels it's not strong enough to succeed on its own merits.

Danny Dudekisser

Oh you mean the Android phones that Apple is so desperately trying to play catchup with ?

You're out of town and she's crazy. Sounds like a perfect match to me!

No, she's where I actually live. So, just potentially just unmitigated crazy. Probably runs Android. Bitches, I tell ya.

Peltz

Yes. I like the PS4 version myself so I can play on the big screen. Fantastic game!

Top Bottom