• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I have no hype for X-Men: Dark Phoenix....

Uzumaki Goku

I don't know... FOX and X-Men.... Fox is going to hold on to the X-Men rights for as long as they possibly can, and while I heard Logan was amazing... (haven't seen it yet) X-Men: Apocalypse pretty much killed any hope I have for any kind of X-Men movie being done right under Fox, I'd much rather see the X-Men go back to Marvel but that isn't happening anytime in the near future.

Looking back at the first two Bryan Singer X-Men films.... I found that they didn't hold up very well.. especially the first film. Everybody just wears these black costumes and it really takes the color out of the film.

Mostly... I've already seen Fox mess up the Dark Phoenix saga once with X-Men: The Last Stand and I'm not sure I can handle two misses of that saga since evidence points out that they're going to make the same mistakes: MovieBob sums it up best for the most part.

It might be time to let this franchise go... Logan was pretty much an ending, but it's not going to happen as long as they keep making money for Fox and honestly if that's what has to be done, maybe I shouldn't go see anymore Fox related X-Men movies (except Deadpool because that's made by people who care about the franchise) and Legion's apparently being made by people who care about X-Men... I didn't get that feeling with Apocalypse.

I don't know.... I just have no faith Fox will get this right.

J_Viper

As a sequel to the incredible DoFP, Apoc is a failure.

But when I view it as a live action episode of the cartoon, it's somewhat enjoyable.

Singer is still solid at action sequences, Apoc himself is no worse than the usual comic flick villains, and I like the cast

There's a ton of flak for Lawrence in this movie, but she's way less insufferable here than in the previous two.

If Dark Phoenix is just another light show, I'd be alright with that.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Nobody does. They should reboot the whole franchise and bring the tone in line with Logan, nobody wants more of what we got in Apocalypse. They need to refresh the main series.

To me, the mainline X-Men films have become the least interesting part of the X-Men film universe. It's the weird, genre-bending tertiary stuff like Logan, Deadpool, Legion, etc that is what makes this universe special to me. The New Mutants film sounds way more interesting than this does, to me.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Apocalypse felt like such a sad attempt to go the safe 'superhero movie' route, especially after Days of Future Past felt like so much of its own thing.

Hopefully footage for the new movie really impresses, but the X-Men movies have always been more interesting when they try to be about something more than just the villain of the week. When they describe the New Mutants movie as more of a horror movie with young people who just happen to have powers, and them just trying to survive? Now that sounds like a fucking movie I'm interested in.

Also watch Logan. The fuck are you doing not watching Logan? Literally everything you do that involves not watching Logan is a waste of time.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Apocalypse should've been a smaller film. One that really focused on the new versions of Jean, Scott, Kurt, and Ororo. It's hard to get enthused about the series jumping into this big arc when you don't give a shit about the characters.

And knowing Fox, if they can get Fassbender signed up, they'll do yet another Magneto redemption arc. ZZZZZ, wake me up when New Mutants comes out.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I heard something that apparently Deadpool is now a separate license from X-Men. But I don't know if that's true.

No, it's still aligned with mutants and the X-Men. Marvel is making a Deadpool animated series, but because animation rights are sort of a different thing that they can be more willing to play ball with.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Who could possibly after the grave disappointments that were Days of Future Past and Apocalypse? That's two classic storylines they fucked up royally. Why should I expect round 2 of the Phoenix Saga to go any better?

The universe is in sore need of new direction, it's not unsalvageable, but I don't know how many more team movies I can take where the characters feel the furthest from a team or family in and outside of battle.

To be honest, I've always been lukewarm on the Xmen movies. I like First Class and Logan well enough, but I've desperately just wanted a proper reboot of the whole thing.

Slayven

The original Phoenix storyarc was a slow burn showing how the Phoenix was a benign force corrupted by The Hellfire club cause they were fucking with something they didn't understand.

Fox will fuck it up

Shaanyboi

Banned
Who could possibly after the grave disappointments that were Days of Future Past and Apocalypse?

The universe is in sore need of new direction, it's not unsalvageable, but I don't know how many more team movies I can take where the characters feel the furthest from a team or family in and outside of battle.

Days of Future Past was far from a disappointment. It performed and was received incredibly well.

Uzumaki Goku

Apocalypse should've been a smaller film. One that really focused on the new versions of Jean, Scott, Kurt, and Ororo. It's hard to get enthused about the series jumping into this big arc when you don't give a shit about the characters.

And knowing Fox, if they can get Fassbender signed up, they'll do yet another Magneto redemption arc. ZZZZZ, wake me up when New Mutants comes out.

Yeah...

I think the X-Men franchise desperately needs to be part of the MCU.... but then again, by the time Marvel does get the X-Men back, they might just make the X-Men the new focal point of the MCU.

I would say I'm only hyped for New Mutants. Fox has had two "reset" films in DoFP and Logan, and yet they're still sticking with doing bombastic team up films based around Charles, his X Men, and whatever world ending event is happening this week.

I think Deadpool and Logan prove smaller stories with like 2-4 X Men can go places if done right. My hope was that Logan (light Logan spoilers)
ended the Charles/Magneto/Wolverine/Classic X Men story and the future films involve an older Laura and her group facing new threats. Logan should have been a goodbye to Singer's X Men.

Xero

I actually didnt mind apocalypse, but i really dont like jean grey, so the news of the direction their going in does not bode well for me.

I'm just done with X-Men movies period. They've been making them for most of my life so I'm utterly bored with what the series has become, trying the Phoenix Saga again couldn't be less exciting

I'm one of the few weirdos who enjoyed Apocalypse despite its massive flaws. It's a silly B-movie sequel to DoFP. I hated Sophie Turner though and I don't give a shit about the Dark Phoenix story but I'm not too worried, New Mutants is the X-Men movie I'm actually looking forward to and everything we've heard sounds great so far.

And do we know for sure who is directing Dark Phoenix? Is it actually Kinberg?

Rick1o1

Yeah...

I think the X-Men franchise desperately needs to be part of the MCU.... but then again, by the time Marvel does get the X-Men back, they might just make the X-Men the new focal point of the MCU.

I am actually glad that x-men is not part of the mcu. We would never have gotten logan, deadpool, or legion if marvel had the x-men rights.

Not every fox x-men movie is great, but neither are all the mcu films.

Uzumaki Goku

I am actually glad that x-men is not part of the mcu. We would never have gotten logan, deadpool, or legion if marvel had the x-men rights.

Perhaps not, but the fact that they aren't is starting to effect Marvel's animation, comics and video games... and that's what's bothering me.

Matty77

I mean it's a project spearheaded by a guy who already had a lot to do with the first horrible adaption of the arc, so yeah I can see why many people including myself have misgivings.

Plus as Slayven pointed out there is a lot more to the Phoenix force than just being "evil jean grey".

vio

Apocalypse was very weak. Magneto-Xavier stuff is just stupid. They should have rebooted everything after DOFP.

edit: I still hope MCU never get the rights.

hamchan

Who can blame you?

Apocalypse was disappointing and Logan was a "drop the mic. You goofs will never make another X-men film better than this one" movie.

Also no thanks to X-Men in the MCU. They would never attempt to do a movie like Logan in the MCU.

Rick1o1

Perhaps not, but the fact that they aren't is starting to effect Marvel's animation, comics and video games... and that's what's bothering me.

Totally agree with you there. It makes me sad that we're getting a whole wave of marvel games in the coming years but without any x-men :(

Yeah, this is my view. They've made some awful X-Men movies, but Deadpool and Logan are a higher high than any 2 MCU films.

Hystzen

Fox have done interesting things with X-men letting stand alone films happen and tv shows which been really praised and loved. They should reboot main series X-Men films but allow directors do stand alones with characters it why Logan worked and Legion worked

mcfrank

X2, DoFP, and Logan are the three best comic book movies to me, so I am glad Fox has Xmen rather than Disney. Apocolypse was as good as Iron Man 2,3, Ultron or and of the other mid tier MCU movies and way better than the Thor movies. Not sure why people gloss over the MCUs failings but shit on Fox, when the Xmen series highs have been higher than the MCUs and X3 and Wolverine are the only real garbage movies in the series. They course corrected away from Ratner pretty quick.

That's Marvel's fault for acting like children though. It sucks but at least be angry at the right people over it.

I mean... I GET it. Marvel doesn't want to give Fox films the promotion. But it's still disappointing because in the end, only the fans are suffering.

Yeah, and again you should be getting pissed at Marvel acting like children rather than Fox for using the properties they paid for.

I've heard differing reasons... I've heard it's because Ike Perlmutter doesn't like Fox or it's because Disney doesn't like Fox.

That's still on Marvel, they're the same company. Notice how neither of the reasons are because Fox is acting like douchebags. It's not even like they've been pumping movies for the sake of putting them out and keeping the contract. They've been actively trying and for the most part succeeding on the content they've put out.

Not sure why anyone would be. Their track record is all over the place. If you want to get excited about what appears to be chance, go for it, but it makes way more sense to have no expectations and just take it from there.

Uzumaki Goku

That's still on Marvel, they're the same company. Notice how neither of the reasons are because Fox is acting like douchebags. It's not even like they've been pumping movies for the sake of putting them out and keeping the contract. They've been actively trying and for the most part succeeding on the content they've put out.

That's true... although you are starting to see X-Men pop up in merchandise again so Marvel and Fox might've worked SOMETHING out.

Marvel fanboys really need to stop clamouring for every film to follow the marvel formula, we already get 3 of those annually. Not every super hero film need to have quick 1 liners, bad villians and no stakes. Marvel films have their place in the industry but they better leave xmen out of it.

Besides, deadpool/logan/days of future/first class are much better than anything mcu

Uzumaki Goku

Marvel fanboys really need to stop clamouring for every film to follow the marvel formula, we already get 3 of those annually. Not every super hero film need to have quick 1 liners, bad villians and no stakes. Marvel films have their place in the industry but they better leave xmen out of it.

Besides, deadpool/logan/days of future/first class are much better than anything mcu

Honestly, a big reason why Marvel doesn't have great villain is because most of their A-List villains are at other movie studios.

zethren

Banned
DOFP was excellent. Logan is a masterpiece.

Apocalypse is unadulterated trash.

I have 50/50 hopes that Dark Phoenix will be decent.

Rick1o1

Honestly, a big reason why Marvel doesn't have great villain is because most of their A-List villains are at other movie studios.

I don't think it has to do with what villain but more with how they are used. Fox had Dr. Doom and fucked him up, so an A-villain does not automatically mean better villain. Marvel can do way more with what they have, but I think they focus more on making the heroes shine.

Apocalypse was embarrassingly mediocre. I couldn't really care less where the core FOX X-Men series goes, especially after quality entries like Deadpool, Logan and LEGION.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Yeah, he only invented the modern comic book film and directed the two best comic films. Take him away!

After X-Men Apocalypse, this wouldn't be unreasonable to be honest. Talented film-makers can be capable of losing their touch, especially after directing the fifth or sixth iteration in a franchise where they're just treading and re-treading old ground.

New talent is good. Don't be afraid of it. We don't always have to cling to the familiar.

Yeah, he only invented the modern comic book film and directed the two best comic films. Take him away!

I like Singer too but to be fair, he clearly has run out of ideas with this franchise. He's just recycling himself at this point. He has done a lot for comic-book films but he should probably move on, just like Nolan did.

Top Bottom