• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mister Rogers' Neighborhood is the next Twitch Marathon

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Until a black person appears.

robinson4.jpg

As an ordained Presbyterian minister, and a man of tremendous faith, Mister Rogers preached tolerance first.

Whenever he was asked to castigate non-Christians or gays for their differing beliefs, he would instead face them and say, with sincerity, "God loves you just the way you are." Often this provoked ire from fundamentalists.

Wow, good for him.

I expected the worst out of the Twitch community when the Joy of Painting marathon happened, but it went really well, so I'm going to expect this to do the same.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I expected the worst out of the Twitch community when the Joy of Painting marathon happened, but it went really well, so I'm going to expect this to do the same.

I'd probably take a ban bet that people will spam TriHard anytime Officer Clemmons shows up.

I love this section about his Emmy speech by Tom Junod

Mister Rogers went onstage to accept the award—and there, in front of all the soap opera stars and talk show sinceratrons, in front of all the jutting man-tanned jaws and jutting saltwater bosoms, he made his small bow and said into the microphone, "All of us have special ones who have loved us into being. Would you just take, along with me, ten seconds to think of the people who have helped you become who you are. Ten seconds of silence."

And then he lifted his wrist, looked at the audience, looked at his watch, and said, "I'll watch the time." There was, at first, a small whoop from the crowd, a giddy, strangled hiccup of laughter, as people realized that he wasn't kidding, that Mister Rogers was not some convenient eunuch, but rather a man, an authority figure who actually expected them to do what he asked. And so they did. One second, two seconds, three seconds—and now the jaws clenched, and the bosoms heaved, and the mascara ran, and the tears fell upon the beglittered gathering like rain leaking down a crystal chandelier. And Mister Rogers finally looked up from his watch and said softly "May God be with you," to all his vanquished children.

He basically did the same thing to Congress too.

MisterHero

I don't any funny anecdotes about Mr. Rogers meeting Mr. Robinson, but they apparently met. :)

eddie-murphy-with-fre8gx16.jpg

http://www.fredrogers.org/facebook/eddie-murphy.html

In 1982, Fred Rogers was at Rockefeller Center in New York and had just finished taping a segment of Late Night With David Letterman. According to David Newell, who accompanied Fred on the trip, staff suggested Fred stop by the set of Saturday Night Live, which taped on the building's ninth floor and meet Eddie Murphy. Mr. Murphy did a very popular parody of the Neighborhood called Mister Robinson's Neighborhood. Fred said he enjoyed Eddie Murphy's work on the show and as his own alter ego and agreed to go up and tell him that.

As David Newell relates, "Fred knocked on Eddie's dressing room door. When Eddie opened it, he took a step back, surprised, then got a big smile on his face and said 'The REAL Mister Rogers' and hugged Fred."

Today's Photo of the Week is from a Polaroid taken that day.

Boke1879

Definitely checking this out. Glad to see we're getting some good content. I'm already thinking about what the next Marathon will be.

KDC720

Mr. Rogers is a good choice, and I'm glad some of the donations are going towards PBS stations.

They should totally do Scooby-Doo next, its perfect for Twitch.

batfax

Holy crap Mr. Rogers marathon will be awesome.

Can't help but feel though that It's gonna be surreal seeing Mr. Rogers trying to explain tragedies of the day to child viewers and having Twitch react to it. Things like John Lennon being shot or the Robert Kennedy assassination. It's going to be a very interesting stream for many, many reasons.

live-streamed programming block will feature many episodes that have aired only once and aren’t available elsewhere online.

Hope digital archivists are prepared for this.

Lunar15

Holy crap Mr. Rogers marathon will be awesome.

Can't help but feel though that It's gonna be surreal seeing Mr. Rogers trying to explain tragedies of the day to child viewers and having Twitch react to it. Things like John Lennon being shot or the Robert Kennedy assassination. It's going to be a very interesting stream for many, many reasons.

I genuinely wonder how Mr. Rogers would interpret today's current events for children.

Hari Seldon

Uggamugga!

My daughter freaking loves Daniel Tiger so I'm kind of interested in showing her this so she gets an idea of where he comes from.

Yeah mine too. I showed her some episodes that I believe were on Amazon Prime and she dug it quite a bit.

Daniel Tiger is from the Fred Rogers studio, for those that didn't know.

It's interesting that so many people here are rallying around someone who based basically everything he did around the fact that television can have a significant impact on children's development (seriously, watch the speech to the Senate committee), but any time the topic of violence in video games is brought up, it's roundly dismissed here. He literally says that his show is to counteract all of the things that children are seeing in other shows, because those shows do not exhibit good and healthy behaviors, and that isn't good for children - and presenting his case that his show is worthwhile to exist to do the opposite.

megalowho

It's interesting that so many people here are rallying around someone who based basically everything he did around the fact that television can have a significant impact on children's development (seriously, watch the speech to the Senate committee), but any time the topic of violence in video games is brought up, it's roundly dismissed here. He literally says that his show is to counteract all of the things that children are seeing in other shows, because those shows do not exhibit good and healthy behaviors, and that isn't good for children - and presenting his case that his show is worthwhile to exist to do the opposite.
Don't think this correlation is being argued in good faith. Pre-K and Kindergarten programming that has been tailored specifically for developing children is meaningful and educational compared to what was available at the time, that is a market that was not being adequately catered to by the networks. Violent video games are rated by the ESRB with parental warnings, and it is on those parents to make a decision when their child is mature enough in their development to process that media. I don't think you'll find much resistance that the primary target for these shows are years away at least from that decision. We're not talking an either/or of Mr. Rogers or GTA here.

Sandoval

I'm not so sure that people here want children playing some game where humanoids get insta-gibbed and blood drops drip down the screen. I'd like to think there is a difference between a 13 year old playing GTA and a 5 year old.
Besides... It's Fred fricken Rogers. The guy is basically singular in his goodness. He's one of the few people who we can point to who have never betrayed the public's trust in their image. There isn't just a line between Mr. Rogers and people like Jack Thompson, there is a gulf.

I don't remember if I realized it as a kid (probably not), but during the crayon factory segment, the use of percussion to mimic the sounds of the machines is pretty incredible. The music is great in general, as usual. God, I'm probably gonna watch all of these and revert to a 5 year old for the duration.

Don't think this correlation is being argued in good faith.

Why's that, exactly?

I'm not so sure that people here want children playing some game where humanoids get insta-gibbed and blood drops drip down the screen. I'd like to think there is a difference between a 13 year old playing GTA and a 5 year old.

People here have generally said that video game violence has no effect on children - without qualifying that with age or content.

megalowho

Why's that, exactly?
I just explained it in the rest of my post... there's nothing interesting or hypocritical about what you've presupposed.

People here have generally said that video game violence has no effect on children - without qualifying that with age or content.
Receipts, or else this is a strawman argument. Clearly there is room for nuance, especially when you're talking about a Pre-K target audience.

I just explained it in the rest of my post... there's nothing interesting or hypocritical about what you've presupposed.

I mean, the rest of your post came after saying you didn't believe my post was made in good faith. So I figured yours wasn't either.

And, you don't see anything interesting in agreeing with someone saying that watching something on television impacts children's development, but playing something on television doesn't?

Receipts, or else this is a strawman argument. Clearly there is room for nuance, especially when you're talking about a Pre-K target audience.

Give me 10 minutes and I'll provide you with some "receipts."

Top Bottom