• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Editorial: The Overlooked Importance of Nintendo

Status
Not open for further replies.

silenttwn

Nintendo produces gamers I guess, but it isn't necessarily just kids. It's also the older crowd and the "non-gamer" crowd.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
M3d10n said:
The article is directed at adult gamers who often complain that Nintendo didn't grow with them, that they didn't follow their tastes as they matured, even though they loved their SNES when kids.

It's similar to how many males develop a strong distaste for Disney (specially pre-Pixar Disney) because they want more from their animation as they get older, and thus move into anime or simple start disliking animation entirely.

But that doesn't mean Nintendo should adapt to their aging public. That's a bad business strategy if you think about it.

Adults are less likely to get into T or M rated videogames if they didn't have gaming as an important part of their entertainment while young, that just can't be argued.

Most "mature" and "core" games are designed by people who are long time gamers, and for people who already game, so they are often built on top of concepts laid out by previous games in the genre which the audience is expected to know and understand and most attempts to make the game more accessible for people who never played another game in the same genre will be perceived by the existing audience as "dumbing down" and be criticized.

So, for developers and publishers of "core" and "mature" it is desirable to have kids, who are often unable or forbidden to play their games, playing other games and having gaming as a normal part of their entertainment routine so they will still be interested in games when they get older. That's where Nintendo fills in, and article points that gamers need to realize that just because they hate Mario and think it's gay, it doesn't mean Nintendo should stop producing it and start producing AAA realistic multiplayer FPS games.

BTW, there one thing in the article I disagree with:

He's underestimating kids, specially boys. An energetic 8 years old would be able to play both of those games, and, unlike a non-gamer adult, would be wholly interested in doing so, even if he never gets past the first missions (when I was a kid there were tons of games I was unable to finish, but I kept playing them anyway). But obviously an 8 years old should NOT be playing such games due to their content rating.

See, this chap gets the meaning of the article.

schild said:
Mines been unplugged for all but 3 days since it launched. Those days were launch day, and the two days following the release of No More Heroes.

I am not married and I like fun. When the Wii came out, this place looked like (and still looks like) a forum-based caricature of hypebeast.com. A blog devoted to people who buy into a fad fulling knowing what that fad is and what it means.

Whereas this person doesn't.

I also agree somewhat that Mario has been whored out in recent years for popularity reasons - however like Miyamoto says, the games were popular for the gameplay and not the characters. This has rubbed off on the images of characters like Mario because it's what he represents. A game about Mario is a game that, to the minds of most people, symbolizes fun, like a seal of quality. He is not "cool" or fleshed out, being a mute overweight plumber who has very few expressed emotions, so it's very hard to say that the reason why Mario games are bought on a large level is because he himself is as admired in the same way as, for example, Spongebob Squarepants is. All he does is represent the game he graces and assure that there is fun to be had. Simply put, Mario is fun to those that buy games with him in them.

It's a shame they've exploited that seal of quality for so many sports titles and spinoffs, but Nintendo also seem genuinely interested in reinstating this belief with return-to-form games such as New Super Mario Bros. and Mario Galaxy.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Endow said:
Introducing gamers? A lot of people started with games like Tomb Raider or other similarly "complex" games. I don't think simplicity is required in order to grab people's attention.

(Speaking about the first Tomb Raider here) Aside from the cynical response of why a Tomb Raider game is popular enough to get male gamers into gaming, the core game mechanics in themselves aren't that complex really. Sure they're not Nintendo level of simplicity, but the controls are kept relatively simple and your objective is pretty obvious. You run, you jump, you shoot. You find a key and unlock a door. I would call Call of Duty 4 and ESPECIALLY Mass Effect worlds ahead of Tomb Raider in complexity.

Azelover said:
I think the so-called "kiddy" image has already gone away, people who think that way now are largely in a corner, they're the "hardcore" bunch and not even the mass hardcore at that, they'll continue to call Nintendo "kiddy" more and more. That's expected.

What Nintendo previously had was an image of software just for kids, I've always been keen on the idea that making "mature" titles was not the way to overcome that image, but rather to have older people embrace these "child" games and change the perception into a positive one. And I believe they have overcome that actually.

As our industry grows into greater real cultural relevance(not the fake one Hollywood-esque concept of cultural penetration, which has and will continue to fail greatly. I'm talking about the new Wii Sports/Fit/WOW/GuitarHero/Social Gaming which will not) there are new trends being settled quite slowly but surely. In this new wider paradigm for our industry "geeky" is the new negative term of choice rather than "kiddy". Sure you'll have your nostlagic moments where that reality is subverted momentarily to reflect otherwise, much as Nintendo had some when Sony was changing things, but those moments won't last more than a mere week or month at best.

:lol
But, in all seriousness, what exactly are you saying? Do you mean to imply that shallow abominations with useless, poorly executed motion controls that do nothing to improve game play, like Wii Sports, will entirely supplant "geeky" games, which actually dare to have a semblance of depth and an intricate graphical presentation? Why would you want that? Surely it brings growth to the industry, but it isn't beneficial for people who like video games.

Innotech

Banned
Neo C. said:
Their products might be safe for kids, still it's a long way to make a DS safe for Murasaki:
27xr0pz.jpg

I wonder if there are really kids killing their DS.
what is that all about?

PoliceCop

Banned
Starchasing said:
the problem is when having complex controls means "aspire to do more"

Thats why the videogames are not recognised as art, they will never be until they stop putting emphasis on the design aspect of it.

Most of the greatest books didnt try to "aspire to do more" by making it difficult to read

Also, the fact that you mention MGS as a game that aspires to do more is indicative of the situation. As long as games try to mimick the movies they will all fail miserably. Videogames are not movies, they may share some aspects but they should not be interactive movies.

When movies started, they tried to mimick the theater. For a while most movies where basicly frontal continous shots , so it was just like being in the theater. Then people started moving the camera and editing. Thats when movies become art on itself.

Games are just mimicking movies. Its time to move on

Hey, just stopping in to let you know that you aren't as smart as you try to sound. Tootles.

M3d10n

Using any console game from, I'd say 1995, and prior as example of "But I got into gaming without Nintendo's help" is moot, since back then the vast majority of games were still designed with pre-teens in mind, even the ones attempting to pose as more "serious".

One could argue that in the entire SNES library no game was designed for the same demographic as COD4.

Neo C.

M3d10n said:
It's similar to how many males develop a strong distaste for Disney (specially pre-Pixar Disney) because they want more from their animation as they get older, and thus move into anime or simple start disliking animation entirely.
While I understand the comparison, I really dislike to handle Nintendo and Disney equally. For example: The reason I watch mainly Anime isn't because of the mature content. it's because of the very very restricted policy Disney had and still have to a degree. I mean, even Sailor Moon has some transgender stuff, whereas I feel that Disney only vary a few themes.
Nintendo however has a great variety and diversity in their products, they may be most popular for their Mario and Pokémon stuff, but as a publisher they don't have many restriction except not allowing AO titles.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Neo C. said:
While I understand the comparison, I really dislike to handle Nintendo and Disney equally. For example: The reason I watch mainly Anime isn't because of the mature content. it's because of the very very restricted policy Disney had and still have to a degree. I mean, even Sailor Moon has some transgender stuff, whereas I feel that Disney only vary a few themes.
Nintendo however has a great variety and diversity in their products, they may be most popular for their Mario and Pokémon stuff, but as a publisher they don't have many restriction except not allowing AO titles.

Disney films have dealt with some rather dark and even traumatising subjects - you may laugh at the notion but I have heard a lot of people pointing to Bambi's mother being shot as one such example. Others include more nightmarish scenes such as the Night on Bald Mountain from Fantasia, or a good portion of the Black Cauldron, the only film they released to not acquire a U rating. It's not quite as controversial a subject as transgender but it's a contrast to their usual image.

SovanJedi said:
Disney films have dealt with some rather dark and even traumatising subjects - you may laugh at the notion but I have heard a lot of people pointing to Bambi's mother being shot as one such example. Others include more nightmarish scenes such as the Night on Bald Mountain from Fantasia, or a good portion of the Black Cauldron, the only film they released to not acquire a U rating. It's not quite as controversial a subject as transgender but it's a contrast to their usual image.

Well, I give Disney credit for sometimes creating adaptations that I find more enjoyable than the original (Pinnochio, Aladdin, and Beauty and the Beast.)

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Pureauthor said:
Well, I give Disney credit for sometimes creating adaptations that I find more enjoyable than the original (Pinnochio, Aladdin, and Beauty and the Beast.)

When I was young almost every single Disney film I owned was a piprated VHS copy - passable quality but it made everything on the screen incredibly dark in colour. This gave some segments in films like Pinnochio extra intensity as the onscreen happenings were more masked by black shadows and loud noises than they were intended to be. Monstro the whale was especially nightmarish as it was depicted as a pitch black amorphous Leviathan with an evil staring eye. And teeth.

Sometimes it makes me wish the actual films had been as dark as that. I'll make it a habit to turn the brightness down every time I watch them from now on.

SovanJedi said:
When I was young almost every single Disney film I owned was a piprated VHS copy - passable quality but it made everything on the screen incredibly dark in colour. This gave some segments in films like Pinnochio extra intensity as the onscreen happenings were more masked by black shadows and loud noises than they were intended to be. Monstro the whale was especially nightmarish as it was depicted as a pitch black amorphous Leviathan with an evil staring eye. And teeth.

Sometimes it makes me wish the actual films had been as dark as that. I'll make it a habit to turn the brightness down every time I watch them from now on.

Wow, that actually sounds pretty awesome.

Well, I don't know about most of you, but I think game-play-oriented experiences (i.e. Nintendo, etc.) are more "complex" than most AAA killer-apps!!! (i.e. Gears of War, CoD4, etc.)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The idea that existing genres cannot attract new players is nonsense. GTA manages to attract attention and therefore players with each successive generation. Smash Brothers attracted a whole new race of manchildren who cannot defeat my Akuma.

Anth

I don't get the fear of games being dumbed down. That already happenend in the Playstation era, that's why we have Mass Effect instead of Baldur's Gate X now.

Innotech said:
what is that all about?
Kurenai, reasonably good new anime.

relaxor

what?
bigmakstudios said:
But, in all seriousness, what exactly are you saying? Do you mean to imply that shallow abominations with useless, poorly executed motion controls that do nothing to improve game play, like Wii Sports, will entirely supplant "geeky" games, which actually dare to have a semblance of depth and an intricate graphical presentation? Why would you want that? Surely it brings growth to the industry, but it isn't beneficial for people who like video games.

I disagree with the article that only Nintendo games get children into the market, but I do agree that the Playstation and Xbox brand are trying, over their attempts to target children, to target that coveted 16-25 demographic.

And they have, and for the last two generations they have succeeded, and made that the biggest part of the industry.

But Nintendo is saying, why don't we continue to target the primarily under 16-year demographic with the Mario games, while expanding the market to include as our JUST AS IMPORTANT GOAL, to target the over-25 demographic with the Wii games. And they have succeeded, and grown the industry to include three strata, of which they only aim at two.

And it works for me, as an older than 25-er, to come home after work, easily and simply turn on the Wii, and play this novel thing with motion controls. It just works. I honestly only play about seven hours of Wii a week, and for those purposes, it's perfect. My wife is already quite excited about Wii Fit and I about Wii Music. Do there need to be more games in the Wii-line? Absolutely. But I think that we will see a whole lot more of them once Nintendo catches up to the demand that they created, to their own surprise.

Now, I'm not saying that older gamers don't enjoy their Playstations and Xboxes, but I imagine that they consider themselves more hardcore gamers. I don't, I'm a casual, and I say it with pride!

Banned
Endow said:
Introducing gamers? A lot of people started with games like Tomb Raider or other similarly "complex" games. I don't think simplicity is required in order to grab people's attention.

Kaijima said:
I will say that, over the years as people harped on Nintendo as "kiddie" I often asked myself: just what do these people really want? What do they expect to happen if Nintendo suddenly is just like Electronic Arts or Activision? What could Nintendo contribute in truth by making more games that are just like all the other "adult" titles that capable developers are already making?

I tend to see Nintendo as one of the foundations of the game industry and the gaming community. This does not mean they're for absolutely everyone, but ever since the recovery from the original videogame crash, Nintendo has inserted themselves as one of the pillars that hold gaming up. The article in the OP may be stating what is obvious to many, but some points bear repeating.

One thing to consider about the success of the Wii, for instance, is that the hardcore's flabergasted wailing over it doesn't seem to address the fact that the hardcore gamers aren't going to stop buying Xboxes because of Wii, but Wii is helping gaming's image in the abstract by putting a very popular, friendly face on the whole thing. I honestly think that if Nintendo was not there, did not exist, gaming would be in much more trouble than it is in multiple ways besides just raising up future generations of gamers. It would be much easier to pigeonhole videogames as the dark obsession of shut-in, anti-social geeks and potentially psychotic mouthbreathers. That Nintendo is successful at what they do helps create a balanced ecosystem. I suspect it is easier to make games aimed at adults respected as adult material when there's a broad spectrum of game content to contrast the adult games against. The joke about Nintendo going under or turning "mature" would be, that if the world only had GTA games, then accusations that games with outrageous content were aimed at 10 year olds would have far more weight... because there'd be nothing else to sell the 10 year olds, and you know kids are going to want to play games.

Agreed with this, especially with the bolded.

relaxor said:
I disagree with the article that only Nintendo games get children into the market, but I do agree that the Playstation and Xbox brand are trying, over their attempts to target children, to target that coveted 16-25 demographic.

I don't think it's just the other two platform brands, but the entire industry outside Nintendo that's pushing an image of darker and edgier for that particular demographic. I mean it seems to me that...

M and T rated games make up the majority of the coverage by gaming news (as in in-depth coverage)
M and T rated games gets access to most of the development resources

Basically there is no drive to seriously promote and produce high quality "family-friendly" games. Is it any wonder people only think only "violent" games exists? Doesn't help if that's the only games the industry is willing to spend multi-million dollars on...

herod

This article misses the point. We're not asking Nintendo to make mature games instead of what they do now, just to make them as well, or at least get some third parties on board.

They consistently miss out on the biggest multiplat franchises in gaming. If they could get these as well, then I wouldn't need a PS3.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Nobody is calling for Nintendo to stop making the Marios and Zeldas of the world [well, the sane ones at least don't]. At worst, I see people calling for them to expand their gaming line-up that do appeal to older players.

Nintendo has profits out of their asshole, why not, you know, use some of that money to make a broader range of games? Shocking, I know.

wazoo

herod said:
This article misses the point. We're not asking Nintendo to make mature games instead of what they do now, just to make them as well, or at least get some third parties on board.

They consistently miss out on the biggest multiplat franchises in gaming. If they could get these as well, then I wouldn't need a PS3.

If ps3 had Wii Metroid and MArio Galaxy I would not need a Wii.

Nintendo will not make mature games, as well as Disney is not making mature movies.

As for third parties, they are surely evaluating the Wii, but not really for providing the same games as on the HD market.

reilo said:
Nobody is calling for Nintendo to stop making the Marios and Zeldas of the world [well, the sane ones at least don't]. At worst, I see people calling for them to expand their gaming line-up that do appeal to older players.

Nintendo has profits out of their asshole, why not, you know, use some of that money to make a broader range of games? Shocking, I know.

Have you read Iwata's Q&A recently?

relaxor

what?
reilo said:

You see no expansion, no broad range? To older players especially?
What I think you mean is expansion into the already-cornered by Sony and MS young man demographic. Nintendo tried that, last generation. And it didn't go so well.

Tideas said:
what is that article talking about?

The PS2 did all that and more.

I agree, the PS2 was the industry's precedent for the Wii. But the Wii is leapfrogging over what the PS2 accomplished, saying that the PS3 can continue that legacy, while going for something even bigger.

Deku

Banned
reilo said:

There's the issue of internal competencies. I don't see Nintendo making one of those mature titles just because they'd be diverting a team that could be making a great Zelda game to doing something that may not be in their skillset.

I don't disagree that they can find a studio or studios somewhere and fund them to produce games but the truth is They have. You don't hear about it because they just don't sell so well or are niche in nature. One of my favorite titles this cycle is Hotel Dusk and it was one of those projects Nintendo finances and no one else could have pulled off.

Cheez-It

Interesting article.

I agree with the idea that Nintendo does a wonderful job pulling in users to the world of gaming. If we had all inaccessible or less accessible games, the industry would certainly be seeing less growth.

I disagree with the idea that gamers necessarily crave darker more 'mature' experiences... To be honest, I find the state of 'mature' gaming despicable. I find many Nintendo games analalogous to Pixar films. They're enjoyable to a wide range of audiences, including most intelligent and mature adults, although on the surface they appear to be childish movies. Of the 'darker' and more 'mature' titles around, I find the vast majority analogous to your average summer blockbuster, with wonderful special effects, some profanity, perhaps some nudity, but absolutely shallow and forgettable flicks. There are obviously exceptions to this, but I really find that these 'mature' games seem more targeted to adolescents, men with a bit of an immature side, and not too many women.

In the end, I think there is a place in gaming for both, and there is no reason to think either will die off.

Satoru Iwata said:
Q21

Tell us about your thoughts on M&A. Also, apart from the conventional method you are using to take advantage of outside resources, is there anything you really want to acquire as your own property even by spending significant amount of money, or is there any particular technology or rights that you do not currently have but would really want to own in order to entertain or surprise your customer?

Iwata:

Many people point out what we will do with increased money or that we own too much money. First of all, please understand that Nintendo’s business shoulders huge business risks. For example, when we were still developing Wii or DS, no one could tell these products would be successful. Of course, Nintendo was doing its best to make them successful, but as of the time of developments, the reactions from the industry were rather skeptical. It was even said around that time that Nintendo was running counter to the commonsense in the world.

What if Nintendo did not have enough money at that time? Our partner corporations that have been providing us with many different technologies and components and our partner subcontractors to manufacture our products must have held grave concerns. If they had been concerned and feared that Nintendo might not succeed and that Nintendo might not be able to pay as promised, they would not have maximized their cooperation with us when we really needed their efforts.

Also, if we had to disclose all of our plans on the new unique hardware a year and half or two years before its completion in order to solicit for necessary money from the stock market or banks, what would otherwise have been a unexpected surprise would not have generated the positive effects on the potential customers when we would have finally demonstrated the tangible product. In terms of the traditional efficiency of funds operations, especially for those who are reading our financial statements from the outside of the industry, our situation may appear inefficient. However, it is the unique characteristic of our business operations that you cannot dare to challenge some bold tactics unless you have a strong enough financial backing.

To this end, we need our own capital adequacy. Also, the business risks in our business are increasing year after year. If we can come to the stage where no more risk increase can be forecasted, we may be able to tell our shareholders that we will return everything to them because we do not need them any more. But the fact is, we are not expecting such a day can come for sure. For now, therefore, our position is that, because Nintendo has been announcing one of the most aggressive policies as a listed Japanese companies to return our profits to our stockholders by making the higher amount of 50% of consolidated net profit or 33% of consolidated operational profit as the source of dividend, we are asking you to allow Nintendo to keep holding a large amount of cash reserves and to continue investing in us.

Sometimes, some people say that Nintendo’s position will become even more solid if it purchased software companies by M&A, but I have no such intention because buying such companies will not contribute to strengthening Nintendo in the true sense. I believe that it is not the company but the skills of the employees that matters most, and therefore regard M&A as meaningless.

There are the cases where M&A is effective. For example, if a company holds a very important patent that Nintendo wants to obtain that will help fight future battles in the video games business with a huge advantage, that would be a time when Nintendo would consider the possibility of M&A. When we determine we should, we should not hesitate to work on the M&A at that time.

Once again, however, it shall be confined to the situation where owning a specific expertise or intellectual property right which belongs to the company will be critical. I do not think that rapidly increasing the number of people who cannot share Nintendo’s unique way of thinking or Nintendo DNA will do us any good. I have never thought that we should do an M&A just because, for example, we have recently not been able to make the significant sales growth. Neither do I have such intention in the future.
Of course, there are technologies and rights that we are paying special attention to, but we cannot disclose them.

Just to answer to reilo's question.

Pretty good article but it seems to omit the greatest thing Nintendo has done for the industry.

By having immense success with something as non-threatening to normal people as the Wii, they have exposed older generations, moms in particular, to a version of gaming that is not violent or tawdry. This will prevent future Jack Thompsons from gaining traction, since it is harder for the haus fraus to demonize something that they enjoy.

Tideas

Banned
relaxor said:
But the Wii is leapfrogging over what the PS2 accomplished, saying that the PS3 can continue that legacy, while going for something even bigger.

Come back with that statement when the Wii overpasses the PS2.

relaxor said:
You see no expansion, no broad range? To older players especially?
What I think you mean is expansion into the already-cornered by Sony and MS young man demographic. Nintendo tried that, last generation. And it didn't go so well.

I agree, the PS2 was the industry's precedent for the Wii. But the Wii is leapfrogging over what the PS2 accomplished, saying that the PS3 can continue that legacy, while going for something even bigger.

All I've seen is Nintendo making a few dumbed down, generic games that are far worse than their average titles, doing little if anything to prove the worth of motion sensing aside from facilitating the oversimplification of games, and, in their only internally produced games worth playing, which constitute the majority of Wii's quality games, continuing to reuse the same IPs that have existed for 20 years now.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Count Dookkake said:
By having immense success with something as non-threatening to normal people as the Wii, they have exposed older generations, moms in particular, to a version of gaming that is not violent or tawdry. This will prevent future Jack Thompsons from gaining traction, since it is harder for the haus fraus to demonize something that they enjoy.

This is not how I want my entertainment defined. It's like home-schooling becoming the template for further education.

Zer0

Banned
Tideas said:
what is that article talking about?

The PS2 did all that and more.

that is a thing that comes to my mind when all the wii fans started the "wii is for the masses" campaing,fuck ps2 and ps1 sold like hundred of millions before any of these nintendo evangelist started to talk about "blue oceans" and similar shit

eve241

Tomb Raider (the original btw) is far less accessible a game than the likes of Mass Effect. The controls were tank-like and this was one of the first 3d games, with everything that brings to the table. Mind you it wasn't my first game (faar from it) but it was for a lot of people.

Stinkles said:
This is not how I want my entertainment defined. It's like home-schooling becoming the template for further education.

Well, you might need to brush up on the reading comprehension, home-schooled or not, because at no point was I talking about any definition of gaming. :D

The point is busy-bodies have an easier time demonizing something they have not experienced in a positive way. Many of the same people who try to restrict videogames do not understand the conecpt of genre in videogames ("It's all sex and violence!"), but they understand it in movies, music and books. By letting a HUGE population of older women see that gaming is not the devil's work, you make it that much harder for the Jack Thompsons of the world to rile up the bored moms.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
bigmakstudios said:
continuing to reuse the same IPs that have existed for 20 years now.

A shame most companies seem to rely on this mantra as well. Nintendo aren't the only guilty party.

It's a real shame too that Rockstar North haven't touched anything original since they set the world alight with GTA - besides two shitty games, and a series that relies upon violence to gain profit. This is coming from the company that created Lemmings and Unirally, two excellent and respected titles, as well as the awesome and very original Space Station Silicon Valley. No offence to their latest GTA as it is one of the better games I've played in years, but the truth needs to be stated in the sense that it's the same gameplay refined and retuned.

Other companies aren't immune to this disease: Square & Enix, Sega, id Software, Capcom, EA, Namco, Konami, Valve, Blizzard, Epic, etc etc.

As with everything concerned in business the companies are there to make money. Once they hit something that sells, they will pump it out constantly.

Opiate

PolyGone said:
Wrong. Many of the world's greatest books do aspire to deeper themes, meanings, messages, ideas, etc that may be missed or misunderstood by an average reader, and contain diction that may be obtuse to the average reader as well.

I think you're missing his point (Although I don't entirely agree with it, either). He isn't saying that games shouldn't aspire to do more, it's that "more complex controls" does not equate to "aspiring to do more."

Take Go, for example, a game that is much more sophisticated and deep than Metal Gear Solid 1, 2 or 3. People have been trying to master it for centuries. And yet, there is really only one "button" necessary to play: put a piece on the board. The end.

So the point isn't that games can or cannot be more, it's that "complex controls" are irrelevant to whether a game is more sophisticated or not. A game can be rich and deep with simple or complex controls.

Sadist

Hmm... it really isn’t an article that tells me something new.

But still, it’s an interesting read. I don’t agree with a few points though. I do agree that if Nintendo would have grown up like some older players have suggested, then that would hurt the industry. I mean, I can’t imagine Nintendo making games around big and mature themes. Unless they hired a studio to do it for them. I never got that, that Nintendo needed to grow up. Sure, story wise the N-games are not very magical or grand, but its better then games who try to give the public a story en fail horribly.

I disagree with the opinion that Call of Duty 4 couldn’t reach a new public. Yes it can, but it all depends of the person who plays the game. It’s not that difficult of an game, has an acceptable learning curve. Mass Effect is a perfect example. The game is targeted towards people who played/playing western rpg’s/or in general.

And I don’t think of Nintendo games as entry products and pave the way towards more mature content. Sure, Nintendo was my gateway to gaming too. (NES and GB) That just a style you have to dig or not. Because, according to the article I’m stuck in my “nurturing” phase for 16 years. Nah, just kidding. I really think its all about the style and feel of the games and you will have to decide if it’s your thing or not. In my case, its my thing.

And of course, define “mature”. I think it’s a bit meaningless.

M3d10n

Sadist said:
I disagree with the opinion that Call of Duty 4 couldn’t reach a new public. Yes it can, but it all depends of the person who plays the game. It’s not that difficult of an game, has an acceptable learning curve. Mass Effect is a perfect example. The game is targeted towards people who played/playing western rpg’s/or in general.
The point isn't that someone who never gamed cannot play and enjoy COD4, that's entirely possible. The point is that it's very unlikely and the vast majority of people who bought COD4 have played FPS games before. And then there are the kids who shouldn't be playing COD4 due to the rating.

bigmakstudios said:
All I've seen is Nintendo making a few dumbed down, generic games that are far worse than their average titles, doing little if anything to prove the worth of motion sensing aside from facilitating the oversimplification of games, and, in their only internally produced games worth playing, which constitute the majority of Wii's quality games, continuing to reuse the same IPs that have existed for 20 years now.

But in their zeal for a bigger and better experience gamers have lost sight of Nintendo's role in our industry because their perspective is centered entirely on themselves.

bigmakstudios said:

And what about Super Mario Galaxy, one of the best (if not the best) game of this generation?

One of its major strentgh is the excellent use of the Wiimote.

Third Parties are making shitty things with the Wii (outside some exceptions), but Nintendo's games are qualitative great until now. (edited: outside Mario Kart Wii).

Sadist

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
And what about Super Mario Galaxy, one of the best (if not the best) game of this generation?

One of its major strentgh is the excellent use of the Wiimote.

Third Parties are making shitty things with the Wii (outside some exceptions), but Nintendo's games are qualitative great until now.
Those comments from bigmakstudios is precisely what this article means with people who think Nintendo should have grown up with the public. All these comments about rehashes and never changing something with their games is the ultimate example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom