• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captchas are the worst thing in this planet since Hitler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cake Boss

Banned
Seriously why is one word readable with no problem but the other word looks like it fucked itself inside and out. Trying to figure this shit out when already stressed from job searching only makes it more stressful.

iQJJ9U3fL1G4p.jpg

I mean what in the fuck is this?

nitric0

Yeah some of them get kind of ridiculous. I sometimes sit there and refresh them 20-30 times before I get a legible one

Blame the people who fill any available web form with spam and who will abuse any file-locker service with automation. They're why we can't have nice things.

reCAPTCHA has been difficult to read lately, which makes me wonder if they're going to try a new approach soon. The whole thing is an arms race.

I think the rationale is that no machine would ever be able to process the screwed up fonts. Problem is, I can't read it half the time anyway so I end up getting rejected once or twice before it works.

Visceir

Seriously why is one word readable with no problem but the other word looks like it fucked itself inside and out. Trying to figure this shit out when already stressed from job searching only makes it more stressful.

I mean what in the fuck is this?

You don't have to get both of them right, just the left one.

iNvid02

i thought the data was collected and analysed to help computers read those scrambled words since only a human can do this

but yeah they suck

Forsete

I fucking hate it.

Tried the audio version also, even more impossible.
D#"!"EWCASCSruWQWE!"#E!"DSree¤%"#¤FR"EFQWan#¤"FEWFWS

LQX

The thing about some of these new captchas is that they have gotten elaborate so bots cannot be used but you damn near need a bot to figure out what some of them are saying.

Biscuits

I hate the ones with characters that I don't even know how to type on my keyboard. What the heck? Am I supposed to find it in MS Word and paste it over or something?

Mudkips

Banned
It's already been said, but with reCaptcha you are shown 2 different images and you only have to get the "known" one "correct". The other image is "unknown" and any answer is acceptable. It's usually pretty obvious which image is known and which is unknown.

If your answer for the "known" image is "correct", then your answer for the "unknown" image is trusted and saved. Once that unknown image gets a lot of the same answers, it becomes known, with that as the answer.

The problem with reCaptcha is that everything is illegible shit now, and the spammers have beaten it anyway. A lot of the "known" words have wrong answers because spammers used automate tools to guess at them. This is why you can type the known word in correctly and have the thing tell you "LOL NOPE" - spammers have poisoned the database by using automate tools that guessed the same answer for a given unknown image hundreds or thousands of times, while getting the right answer for the known image up to 60% of the time.

Just use the audio option for blind people. I've never had a problem with it (though it looks like others have).

Ecrofirt

I've noticed that reCAPTCHAs have been damn near impossible lately. I've had to refresh a bunch of times because it's mangled so much you can't make out any letters.

Haha, atleast understand what it is before trashing on it like you do. Sure, it has some bad words, but the thing is it takes one world that have been verified by a lot of other people, and that is most of the time the word that is easily readable and spell checked.

The other word is a word scanned in from books that hasn't been verified by other people, so you can misspell that and nothing is wrong.

EDIT: Beaten with a more clear description.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I actually dig the one which basically asks you to "drag X item into the box". It's always very simple stuff like "an orange" or "a baseball" so there's nothing to question and the action is simple and quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom