• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (PC) - New interviews, details, artwork/screens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eusis

I understand, it's just clear that an "enjoyable game" isn't more important in your list of standards "technical performance".
Did you ignore the point where he said he already beat the game on consoles? If you already own the game technical performance really is the reason to buy this on PC, otherwise better to wait and see if the new content comes to consoles as DLC first.

Haunted

*applauds Namco Bandai*

Looks like we have to thank them for expanding From's limited view. Good stuff, good stuff.

Moaradin

The reason I didn't play Dark Souls on consoles was because of the horrendous fps issues. That shit just isn't playable when you are used to 60 fps.

Capped at 30 fps with no frame drops like the console version? Would be an annoyance but I would deal with it. When you add 720p RESOLUTION ONLY (who the hell does this? Is there any game that caps resolution like that? It's just impossible with how many resolutions PC gamers use on their monitors), it's just a deal breaker for me.

DTKT

But it's not going to be 30xAA and 150FPS, no sale!!!

I understand, it's just clear that an "enjoyable game" isn't more important in your list of standards "technical performance".

It's not "technical performance", it's about leveraging the strength of the platform. And if there is one thing that the PC can do, it's giving you 60 frames.

No one would really complain if they had given us proper resolutions. We all want to play the game on PC, but we want to play a version that is made for our platform. Not a barebones port. If you want to take that route, don't port the game at all.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

Give me a break with this garbage. Yes, it's an enjoyable game. However, since I've played it already, technical performance should be up to the standards of the PC platform. If not, why the fuck should I pay for it? Shits and giggles? There will be tons of other games that do deliver and will be fun in August, so...why should I reward these people for a poor port?

Zeliard

The locked framerate - if that's what we're looking at - will probably at least be able to be modded around. Last game I played that was locked at 30 FPS was Transformers War for Cybertron, and someone created a 60 FPS unlocker for that which worked fine.

Never tried the PC version of LA Noire but apparently someone found a workaround there too.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
and console owners who don't understand what's happening slinging at pc gamers who don't want to support a crappy effort at a cash in, when namco won't deserve a penny if this is as bad as it sounds.

we're in the eye of the shiticane

I agree, console owners are so stupid. I mean, just look at them!

Kusagari

I feel bad for From. It's clear that they have no idea what they're doing, and Scamco isn't giving them any help at all in regards to this.

They're just making it worse by making decisions like GFWL over Steam.

Haunted

I have to chalk up the comment about resolution to complete ignorance of PC gaming. The PS360 versions are sub-hd. Sub-HD. Not even 720p. It's inconceivable to me that they'd lock the res to 1024x720.
When's the last time a 3D PC game didn't let you change resolutions? Has there ever been such a time?
Yeah, I wouldn't really be worried about this.

Given From's apparent inexperience with the platform, I'd be surprised if they were even capable of securing this stuff so tightly that enterprising modders/programmers won't find a workaround.

Eusis

It'll come to the consoles. Unless for some reason they decide they dislike money all of a sudden.
They may take the gamble that getting people to rebuy at $40 or even $30 is better than releasing the DLC for $10 or $15 on consoles, especially with all sales being digital here.

Something else to keep in mind: sometimes stuff like this is symptomatic of a port that just plays bad, period. Not as in "I'd like to run at 120 FPS on my awesome monitor!" but "there's bizarre graphical issues and an instable framerate that make this worse than on consoles! And it crashes all the time". Granted even a perfect mirror of consoles won't be pleasing many people (if the FPS is STILL shitty in Blighttown then I have 0 reason to bother unless they're assholes about the new content). Seriously, look at ports like SR2 or RE4 pre-modding, that's what I imagine many of us are fearing on some level, when a great game actively IS ruined.

Alebrije

So PC user will get the same game in technical performance , this is a big letdown. The game is great but Blightown was a pain in the ass in my PS3...

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
It's Amazing how Namco turned this from Fans wet dream to a complete nightmare for everyone.

GFWL,30fps,no change in resolution, minimal keyboard and mouse support, no mods, how you can do this in 2012? outside of Capcom the Japanese developers seems to be completely clueless about how to do PC ports.

I think since the PC port was by Namco request ( Maybe after they saw Skyrim numbers) is that they should know the PC market and know what to do or not do do with PC ports in this day and age.

Another element Miyazaki wouldn't be drawn on is the apparent decision by Namco to use Games for Windows Live for the PC game's online content. At the Namco Gamers Day event, box art of the title showed a GFWL logo, prompting a disappointed response from some gamers who view the service as inferior to other contenders such as Steam. However, while Miyazaki wouldn't comment, Namco's publishing producer for the game, Daisuke Uchiyama, told reporters that the final decision had yet to be made and that partnership negotiations were ongoing.

Still the only -well kinda- "positive" thing here, there is chance they drop GFWL and this is a very good start.

Namco actually listen to fans it seems,they moved fast and spoke about GFWL so they know about the petition (which really need more signatures to put more pressure on Namco) and that the PC gamers do not want GFWL.

There is hope at least for the port...I hope

Haunted

It'll come to the consoles. Unless for some reason they decide they dislike money all of a sudden.
I'd be shocked if it didn't.

Probably as a separate SKU in a Prepare to Die edition than DLC as they can charge more for it that way.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

Probably as a separate SKU in a Prepare to Die edition than DLC as they can charge more for it that way.

No please. Though it would be funny if this did happen and it got a bunch of balance changes and the original games were just left 'vanilla' 1.05

Eusis

There might be a legitimate angle here, whether it's because it'd inevitably split the player base anyway or because the game wasn't coded in a way to allow DLC to easily fit in. As long as they don't overcharge I'd bite... hell, I might get it ASAP if they did anyway, I'd just make sure to keep an eye out for good deals.

I agree, console owners are so stupid. I mean, just look at them!

I see we are having difficulty with the concept of "qualification." In the sentence you quoted, "who don't understand what's happening" was the qualification. As in, console owners who think a locked resolution is no big deal. Notice that cuts down on the number of people I was talking about by a lot, thus it is not all console owners, as you seem to have misread. I know tensions are high and that there is much at stake on the internet, but stay calm and simple mistakes such as this will not happen and the discussion will be better off for it. Also, the word "stupid" was never used and was somehow inserted by your own brain. Please don't do that. Thanks!

gdt

I don't think PC gamers are expecting the world from From here. Base game. Unlocked framerate. Whatever Res I want. Pad support.

They even gave us an awesome bonus with the extra content.

And Miyazaki explained the no mod support pretty well, thats fine by me.

Steamworks isn't mandatory, but highly encouraged. Most of us would even suffer through GFWL, in hopes of Steamworks next time.

Thats a pretty simple, barebones port of one of the best games of all time.

Just give us that :(.

and console owners who don't understand what's happening slinging at pc gamers who don't want to support a crappy effort at a cash in, when namco won't deserve a penny if this is as bad as it sounds.

we're in the eye of the shiticane

I just like how other games have been destroyed for being shit ports but since it's Dark Souls everyone should just deal.

The Hermit

So why even port it to PC to begin with? The whole reason we wanted it on PC was to experience the game with 60 FPS and higher resolution.

hmmm, no?
It was for more people who don't own either HD twin console to play the game.

My only gripe is GFWL, the rest is fine.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
I see we are having difficulty with concept of "qualification." In the sentence you quoted, "who don't understand what's happening" was the qualification. As in, console owners who think a locked resolution is no big deal. Notice that cuts down on the number of people I was talking about by a lot, thus it is not all console owners, as you seem to have misread. I know tensions are high and that there is much at stake on the internet, but stay calm and simple mistakes such as this will not happen and the discussion will be better off for it. Thanks!

The only purpose your post had was to stir things a little bit up. We had this shit in the old thread and it's just tiring.

DTKT

hmmm, no?
It was for more people who don't own either HD twin console to play the game.

My only gripe is GFWL, the rest is fine.

How can you be OK with a barebones port? Limited resolutions? Poor keyboard support? Locked framerate?

This stuff blows my mind.

This is mental.

Most of the loudest supporters of the PC petition already own the console version (myself included) the whole fucking point of it was that we all wanted to see the game on a platform that doesn't restrict it on a technical level.

This is like asking for a Bluray edition of a film already out on DVD and then getting a simple rip of the DVD burned onto a BRD.

The only purpose your post had was to stir things a little bit up. We had this shit in the old thread and it's just tiring.

so i shouldn't have a problem with people already going "lol u guys want 150fps" in this thread, rather than them actually using their brains for two seconds to understand why this port sounds problematic? p.s. you only made things worse by trying to turn my post into something much worse than it was.

i.e. i'm the one getting called out? lolllll

whatever, i'll wait and see if this isn't just some weird translation/misunderstanding, as far as the res options go.

Zeliard

This is mental.

Most of the loudest supporters of the PC petition already own the console version (myself included) the whole fucking point of it was that we all wanted to see the game on a platform that doesn't restrict it on a technical level.

This is like asking for a Bluray edition of a film already out on DVD and then getting a simple rip of the DVD burned onto a BRD.

Haha, spot-on analogy.

The Hermit

How can you be OK with a barebones port? Limited resolutions? Poor keyboard support? Locked framerate?

This stuff blows my mind.

I wasn't supposed to even play the damn game... as for the rest, we have no idea.

IF we get a shitty port with the bugs, framerate problems, terrible keyboard gameplay then I will complain.

But I guess I was in the minority though...

Eusis

The last two can be excused though. Framerate could be due to the game being coded in a way that requires it never go faster than 30 FPS or whatever, likely for netcode or physics, and it being too much of a hassle to change at this point. Keyboards support... well, even if they are smart and allow basic rebinding at least, look at something like Super Mario 64. It's pretty much impossible to give that REALLY good kb/m support short of a full rebuild, and while Dark Souls isn't that extreme it's still a similar situation in that it's very much designed for controller play and could be a bit awkward on kb/m short of a full rebuild.

As usual resolution is nearly impossible to justify. At most I think they can rationalize locking the aspect ratio, it might even be better depending on whether they expanded or contracted for 16:10/4:3 anyway.

Swifty

I don't understand why some people are so defensive against these port complaints.

The people that are bitching about sub-60 FPS and sub-1080P are likely the ones that have already played Dark Souls and want to experience it again remastered. This is about having the ultimate Dark Souls experience, a future proof version that scales with time as better and newer hardware comes out. Why wouldn't you want Dark Souls to continually be better with time?

cj_iwakura

Lots of undue bitching in this thread. If you're that scared of this port, just go buy the awesome PS3 version like everyone else.

Until then, deal with it, and be glad you're getting this wonderful game at all.

Does the Master Race have to act so entitled?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
The people that are bitching about sub-60 FPS and sub-1080P are likely the ones that have already played Dark Souls and want to experience it again remastered. This is about having the ultimate Dark Souls experience, a future proof version that scales with time as better and newer hardware comes out. Why wouldn't you want Dark Souls to continually be better with time?

More than understandable. Who wouldn't want to play a technically superior version of the game? But the original petition seemed like it was emphasizing improved framerate just as much as an expanded market. Sucks for those who have already played it and were hoping for a better version (which they still may be getting) but it's great for people who will finally be able to play it.

Teknoman

Eusis

Lots of undue bitching in this thread. If you're that scared of this port, just go buy the awesome PS3 version like everyone else.

Until then, deal with it, and be glad you're getting this wonderful game at all.

If the PC version weren't getting extra content I'd just laugh off this port and be done with it. But not only is there more content but many of us who DID play on PS3/360 wanted to go through it again with better performance, and at the least locking the resolution would be nuts.

DTKT

Quality post. Right there.

:|

How was the PS3 version awesome?

More than understandable. Who wouldn't want to play a technically superior version of the game? But the original petition seemed like it was emphasizing improved framerate just as much as an expanded market. Sucks for those who have already played it and were hoping for a better version (which they still may be getting) but it's great for people who will finally be able to play it.

Except not really. It's a terrible port. It's a great game but it's a shame Namco cares so little about the franchise.

*edit* Eh, looks like it's already been quoted for posterity.

I'll instead say that this is proof positive that all the new content is absolutely coming as either DLC or some new GOTY edition on consoles. No way in hell did they put in all that work for PC exclusive content if they can't be arsed to acknowledge that it's a different kind of platform

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom