• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is probably too much to ask but could you possibly put together an NCIX (or another place that assembles) bundle that you think is good?

I don't really need anything super high end, if it can run most console ports at 1080p (or there about) and good/decent FPS then I'd be happy. That pcpartpicker bundle kind of sounds like overkill lol.

This was the system I built, I didnt include the GPU since I had one gifted to me.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/z64yVY

Quick

Banned
It was a three-store trip for me when that deal went down.

EB Games to pick up two cheap used games because I didn't have any games to trade in at the time; then to Best Buy and FS to pick up Battlefield and COD.

I already had Black Flag at the time.

There was a lineup for each store, but having been able to reserve both games, I went right to their Customer Service desks to get each game, pay for it, and I was out of the store in about 10 minutes or so (a few others were also able to reserved them).

I remember that Saturday morning, it was glorious. Lining up outside Future Shop with three of the dustiest games I could find

Shortly after, there was an offer to upgrade to the next gen versions of these games for $10 each, which helped a lot of people pad out their early next gen libraries

Trade deal of the century.

m23

I remember that Saturday morning, it was glorious. Lining up outside Future Shop with three of the dustiest games I could find

Shortly after, there was an offer to upgrade to the next gen versions of these games for $10 each, which helped a lot of people pad out their early next gen libraries

That was a glorious day. I managed to get a copy of each game which I then upgraded at the launch for Xbone. Also got AC Black Flag signed by the creative director I think it was while in line at Future Shop waiting to get my xbone.

RIP Future Shop.

killroy87

It was a three-store trip for me when that deal went down.

EB Games to pick up two cheap used games because I didn't have any games to trade in at the time; then to Best Buy and FS to pick up Battlefield and COD.

I already had Black Flag at the time.

There was a lineup for each store, but having been able to reserve both games, I went right to their Customer Service desks to get each game, pay for it, and I was out of the store in about 10 minutes or so (a few others were also able to reserved them).

Yup, that was a glorious day. And extra hilarious considering they lost just as much money as you would have guessed, and it was one of the most dim-witted promotions I've ever heard of.

That was a glorious day. I managed to get a copy of each game which I then upgraded at the launch for Xbone. Also got AC Black Flag signed by the creative director I think it was while in line at Future Shop waiting to get my xbone.

RIP Future Shop.

Kept their last flyer in plastic sleeve...

Go ahead judge me.

meerak

Sorry if this is well known or what but I just realized controllers are only 60 bucks at Walmart (at least here in Edmonton) instead of 79 million or whatever they charge at Best Buy.

Maybe these are old controller models they are clearing? Still a nice deal.

MikeRahl

I wasn't very big on buying games as a teen, funny enough. I just rented them from Blockbuster or I'd get them as presents.

Speaking of past good deals, I remember when Future Shop and Best Buy had a trade ANY game for Call of Duty: Ghosts, Assassin's Creed: Black Flag, or Battlefield 3.

I was able to reserve COD and Battlefield 3 online, one for each store, before they shut down online reservations for them. lol

What prompted that anyways? I always wondered what the hell was going on. Only thing I could think of was they were just getting into trade ins and wanted to bolster their stock, but I imagine 90% of the games they got were worth pennies.

I stood in line at the location on Pembina in Winnipeg while my wife was overseeing an exam. The one requirement was that the game had to be retail. I took a bunch of games and ended up giving one to someone who tried to trade in a bundled God of War game.

After that I went to Brandon with my wife (we were going anyways) and picked up the 2 I missed in Winnipeg.

This happened right before the PS4 launch as well, so I didn't even open then because EBgames had a deal on where you could upgrade the games for $5 I think it was.

Moltenix

EB must've been able clear out a good chunk of those cheap used games that no one in their right mind would ever buy that day.

killroy87

What prompted that anyways? I always wondered what the hell was going on. Only thing I could think of was they were just getting into trade ins and wanted to bolster their stock, but I imagine 90% of the games they got were worth pennies.

The story I heard, and this could be 100% wrong, I have no recorded source on this, is that it was just the idea of some marketing dude at Future Shop, and somehow, someway, it made it through every gate keeper to the point of execution. The intention was to boost trades (which were, and I think still are, awful), and have the games act as loss leaders to get people in the stores. As you could expect, they lost a metric ton of money, and were flooded with truly terrible games. I think the people at FS and BB considered it a massive mistake almost instantly.

Again, that could be completely wrong, I can't remember where I heard this.

Grimsen

Good times.

That FS deal, and the EB trade-up deal that came after, were GOAT deals. We're probably never going to see anything like that again.

1394235_10152065699283417_418835750_n.jpg

No, I traded some junk for the kid at Futureshop.

EB wouldn't trade up for a boy, so I was stuck with a girl.

Edit:

Lucky you, girls start out as easy mode. Grow up faster, I hear, more sense in shorter time. Boys are animals by comparison, usually some kind of raccoon.

Of course girls turn into Demon's Souls later but you can always resurrect right

etta

my hard graphic balls
What I miss most about Futureshop is their Christmas flyers. Always awesomely decorated for the holidays, the red color being their own helped. Best Buy's blue doesn't work with their crappily decorated holiday flyers.
😔

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I've got a "spend 25 dollars on amazon.ca, get 25 dollars in statement credit" from my CC. What's the best I can spend 25 dollars on? It's gotta be either a boardgame or a PS4/3DS game.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I've got a "spend 25 dollars on amazon.ca, get 25 dollars in statement credit" from my CC. What's the best I can spend 25 dollars on? It's gotta be either a boardgame or a PS4/3DS game.
$25 PSN card, save it for Black Friday sale.

Quick

Banned
I've never sold or bought anything from Kijiji before, and I'm thinking about selling off my Surface RT on it.

Anything I need to know before I put up an ad?

I've never sold or bought anything from Kijiji before, and I'm thinking about selling off my Surface RT on it.

Typical sales advice:

- Provide positive details, don't hide obvious problems but don't go crazy explaining problems (if you write more text explaining problems than details, rewrite it)

- Be FIRM on your price. Say so! $XXXX FIRM. That way when someone (inevitably) tries to bargain with you, you can politely throw it back in their face. Expect a lot of dumbshit offers nonetheless.

- Avoid scams, no shipping anything, you want cash and nothing else

- Meet in a public place or near a police station, at least if you get robbed there is a dozen people in the Starbucks as witnesses

- Don't waste time on reschedulers, if somebody changes times on you, just move on, they weren't serious.

LifeLike

I've bought a brand new Surface Pro 4 and many other things on Kijiji. I always sell stuff on Kijiji.
Either way I almost provide or ask for a receipt but it depends what you are buying or selling obviously.

Ventara

Just had the Canada Post deliver the Mini NES I ordered from the Source. Glad they came through.

Edit: Are we talking about the great deals of days gone by? That FS deal was pretty good, but having to stand in that long line diminished it a bit, though I was able to pick up some games before the deal and go back to "price-protect" it.

The best deal imo was when FS/BB and EB had that trade in certain games for $40. It was a pretty big list and EB had that 50% bonus trade in towards certain games. It was especially crazy at EB since there weren't any restriction at the time. You could walk in with 3 $40 games, and walk out with $120 credit and a $60 preorder, which you could easily move. And there was a nice selection of $15 games at EB that you could trade in for $40 at FS/BB. I just went back and forth buying and trading, lol. Good times.

Quick

Banned
Expect the worse

tumblr_inline_mnmuccObda1qz4rgp.gif

Typical sales advice:

- Provide positive details, don't hide obvious problems but don't go crazy explaining problems (if you write more text explaining problems than details, rewrite it)

- Be FIRM on your price. Say so! $XXXX FIRM. That way when someone (inevitably) tries to bargain with you, you can politely throw it back in their face. Expect a lot of dumbshit offers nonetheless.

- Avoid scams, no shipping anything, you want cash and nothing else

- Meet in a public place or near a police station, at least if you get robbed there is a dozen people in the Starbucks as witnesses

- Don't waste time on reschedulers, if somebody changes times on you, just move on, they weren't serious.

Keeping these in mind for sure, especially anything related to my safety.

I've bought a brand new Surface Pro 4 and many other things on Kijiji. I always sell stuff on Kijiji.
Either way I almost provide or ask for a receipt but it depends what you are buying or selling obviously.

What I'm concerned about I guess is if there's actually any interest in it. I've seen a few ads for it already within the larger scope of the city, but not in my area specifically.

Fingers crossed.

Gibbles17

Picking up my Pro from EB after work today. Just want to make sure I have the transfer process right:

-Pay full price for Pro minus the trade-in value for the 5 game deal
-Xfer data from OG to Pro
-Wipe/factory reset OG
-Bring OG to EB for refund of the trade-in value

Hyped for FFXV. Wish I had had Prime when I first preordered it, Amazon standard shipping is total ass. Expecting to get the game >10 days after release, bleh.

Takuan

tumblr_inline_mnmuccObda1qz4rgp.gif

Keeping these in mind for sure, especially anything related to my safety.

What I'm concerned about I guess is if there's actually any interest in it. I've seen a few ads for it already within the larger scope of the city, but not in my area specifically.

Fingers crossed.

Expect to be low-balled even though you clearly state "FIRM" in your ad. It's not worth engaging with these people, just delete the e-mail.

gzero

Picking up my Pro from EB after work today. Just want to make sure I have the transfer process right:

-Wipe/factory reset OG

I did a backup of everything (minus "apps") on my OG PS4 to a USB stick, deactivated and did a factory reset, and then traded it in at the same time as I picked up the Pro. Restored from backup on the Pro when I got it home. The whole process went smoothly.

Moltenix

-Wipe/factory reset OG

Hyped for FFXV. Wish I had had Prime when I first preordered it, Amazon standard shipping is total ass. Expecting to get the game >10 days after release, bleh.

Make sure they refund you the correct trade-in value. Don't get ripped off by taking 175 + 50 like some people have. It should be 210+50+games or at the very least ~201+50+games.

Gxgear

You can cut down non serious inquiries effectively by putting down a disclaimer like 'lowballers ignored'.

ahdurian

does anyone know if there is a vert-stand for the Pro as of yet?
i know the OG had one, but not sure if that fits the Pro.
don't want to end up scratching/damaging the Pro to try to make the OG one fit if it's too small

Hey Badwolf,
If you have a specific budget in mind, feel free to shoot me a PM. I do a lot of Custom PC builds, and will help you get a great machine, for the best price possible, if you want some help.

But for now, I've made a few adjustments to his build. I would recommend upgrading your CPU to the i5-6600k, as it is a lot more powerful, and also I was more choosy with the parts and got the whole thing below $1000.
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/3WG7vV

For GPU, I would recommend a GTX 1060 6GB, but an RX470 is also a solid Choice if you want to save a bit of money. The GTX 1060 6GB will absolutely crush 1080p, and is a great priced card. The RX470 isn't quite as awesome, but also has a great price, and is definitely a great 1080p card.

Here is a full build I would probably more recommend if you want to keep it as cheap as possible.

$869 - Without Video Card
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/WJxnd6

$1194 - With GTX 1060 6GB
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/DTWWf8

$1099 - With RX 470 4GB
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/6f7fhq

Make sure you ask NCIX to price match everything. Also, go through every part listed here, and make sure NCIX has it, and it's in stock. If it's not in stock, don't let them choose random parts, as they will add expensive piece, that will cause the price to jump a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom