• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you measure how much pasta/noodles to cook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Because apparently I'm a very bad at judging these things:

Th3rlnol.jpg

I was cooking for myself and a few people, but I suppose I put in a bit too many noodles and they ended up absording all the water and formed this gelatinous blob and I had to cut it with a knife to eat it. Any tips to avoid this embarrassment in the future would be much appreciated.

Fracas

#fuckonami
The absolute max you can go is a pound of pasta in something like your average saucepan, which is roughly the size of a small helmet. Even that's cutting it close. Make sure you're not overcooking.

jtb

Banned
damn. to fuck up a dish as easy to cook as pasta like that... that's pretty impressive, actually.

I make spaghetti so often I can just sense it. I take a look and hold it in my hand pretty much the right amount every time. I did make fairly large portions the first few go's at it haha.

That is the most impressive and terrifying cooking I have ever seen

For you I think you should get the amount of pasta you feel is right and then use 1/10 of that amount

Might still be a bit much though

Fury Sense

the box is 1lb so half the box is enough to feed me if i'm really hungry or feed two people if i only want to eat a normal amount of food
fzD1ium.png

pretty amazing pic

I've never seen this happen. Ever. How strange. You must have let it sit there for an hour or something, because pasta shouldn't be like that.

Divvy

I don't eat that many carbs, and what I do eat is rice, so I almost never make pasta. Guess I should practice more.

That's some white ass pasta too. Seconding the you need a LOT bigger pot.

It's not really pasta, it's asian wheat noodles.

Askani

Guessing you didn't rinse your pasta. Looks like you cooked it too long and then didn't rinse it and it continued to cook. Just because you drain it doesn't mean it's done. Also looks like you put it back on electric stove burner that was still hot?

Anyway, rinse your pasta with water after you drain it. It will remove the outer layer of starch, stops it from cooking extra, and keeps it from sticking in the pan.

sk3

Banned
the box is 1lb so half the box is enough to feed me if i'm really hungry or feed two people if i only want to eat a normal amount of food
fzD1ium.png

Sounds about right. The trick is how much sauce matches the amount of pasta. This can vary wildly depending on the type of noodle.

Divvy

I will seriously chip in $10 for you to make an accurate video reenactment of how the hell you created that culinary abortion..

I ran out of the noodles

Guessing you didn't rinse your pasta. Looks like you cooked it too long and then didn't rinse it and it continued to cook. Just because you drain it doesn't mean it's done. Also looks like you put it back on electric stove burner that was still hot?

Anyway, rinse your pasta with water after you drain it. It will remove the outer layer of starch, stops it from cooking extra, and keeps it from sticking in the pan.

That's good advice, thanks

entremet

I don't eat that many carbs, and what I do eat is rice, so I almost never make pasta. Guess I should practice more.

It's not really pasta, it's asian wheat noodles.

Did you stir?

You need to stir. Noodles and pasta are starchy, hence sticky, you need to stir while boiling them.

lol OP what on Earth did you do?

Get a bigger pot
add more water
stir that shit while it's cooking
drain the water when it's done
if it looks like your picture, throw it away and try again.

did you actually eat this/serve this to other humans? I'm sorry but I've never seen this happen. It looks like you tried to make spaghetti pie.

You really shouldn't rinse off that starch. It's what helps bind the sauce to the noodles.

Divvy

Did you stir?

You need to stir. Noodles and pasta are starchy, hence sticky, you need to stir while boiling them.

Yeah, it's mid-autumn festival so we had people over so I had to cook for more than the usual people. I guess I lost track of the noodles while cooking.

I have so many questions here. Your dish is mystifying.

1. What was your set up for this dish?
2. How long did you let it cook for?
3. Did you really cut it like a cake and eat it?
4. What did it taste like and was the pasta al dente?
5. Could you reenact your dish for us and post it on Youtube?

There is no way this shit was accidental.

I refuse to believe.

you wanted to make a pasta pie and post about it on the internet, dude. Which was impressive all on its own. No need to be like "How do I boil water and add noodles, GAF?"

You made a pasta pie. Even if you didn't mean to - act like you did. :)

I thought this was a myth.
It helps season (flavor) the pasta. I don't think it does much to change the way it cooks.
I heard that you're not supposed to rinse it because the starch helps the sauce stick to the pasta. The only exception is if you're making something that will be served cold like pasta salad.

Askani

You really shouldn't rinse off that starch. It's what helps bind the sauce to the noodles.

As long as it's not cold it's fine IMO. Hot Water is still enough to cool it down and help to stop the cooking but doesn't cool it too much and there's still some starch left. That being said, it's also why I use the Barilla Spaghetti Rigati noodle. Ridges! Sauce holders!

How do you fuck up pasta?

LOL

I know, right?

I've been cooking spaghetti since I was 7 years old. It's like the easiest thing you could make.

As long as it's not cold it's fine IMO. Hot Water is still enough to cool it down and help to stop the cooking but doesn't cool it too much and there's still some starch left. That being said, it's also why I use the Barilla Spaghetti Rigati noodle. Ridges! Sauce holders!

Eh, I don't have too much problem with sticking so long as I'm careful when serving it from the colander.

I know what you mean about ridges. Penne rigate is probably my favorite shape because of the perfect chewiness and sauce cling-ability.

Sober

Yeah, it's mid-autumn festival so we had people over so I had to cook for more than the usual people. I guess I lost track of the noodles while cooking.
Yeah this will teach you just cook noodles/pasta long before you ever need them, then when you are hungry, you have extra options.

Rice noodles?

Also as above, always rinse them down. My dad is a criminal and never does that and I always give him shit for that.

I usually edge closer to ice cold water. Any reason not to, unless you plan on eating them soon after? (I still do this and hate myself sometimes though)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom