• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBS Interactive (GameSpot parent company) buys Giant Bomb

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
How long until Jeff gets fired again and goes off to start another new website?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Is this Patrick being "the Summer Gau of gaming websites" a thing that I've just never heard of? What is this curse you speak of? I must know! I feel like I'm missing out on something hilarious.
Every gaming site/publication that Patrick joins, shortly thereafter shuts down. Its not anything he does, just bad/odd luck. However its happened so often that when him joining Giantbomb was originally announced, I promptly saved this little image:

8RrLj.png

LiK

Every gaming site/publication that Patrick joins, shortly thereafter shuts down. Its not anything he does, just bad/odd luck. However its happened so often that when him joining Giantbomb was originally announced, I promptly saved this little image:

8RrLj.png

Holy shit

Let me be clear I worked for the same company but not under the same folks GB will be working under/for. What I can say from my years of experience is that revenue is very very important to the company. I have worked for a few companies of that size and I think the company GB will be moving to had by far the most aggressive budgets. Honestly I hope GB does well.
Still, understandable that a company wants to grow but man that story is just terrible.
Even its not a 1 to 1 correlation, my mom is a doctor and she has been telling me that work stress is clearly a big factor when it comes to your health.

PBY

Banned

8RrLj.png

HOLY SHIT haha

look at the date even, almost a year to the day

8RrLj.png

Fascinating. I don't know much about Patrick's history, and it's too early to write GB off due to this event, but it's funny all the same.

jett

D-Member

8RrLj.png

lol

Speevy

Banned

8RrLj.png

Potatoes!

Gertsmann said:
OK, right now we're heading over to GameSpot offices for the first time since 2007. Be sure to check back at 4PM PDT, when we'll be addressing my termination. Finally! The story can be told!

Was this sarcasm? I assume this is sarcasm.

8RrLj.png

almost been a year too...lol

Good luck to these guys though and i hope they can be the ones to clear up the doubt and not be another victim.

Was this sarcasm? I assume this is sarcasm.

No its serious, the truth will finally be known.

Khezu

Rorie is the best writer of anybody at WM. Sucks to see him left out in the cold like this.

Ya I'm surprised he didn't jump on the GB train with alex. I don't really see much of a future for screened the way it is now. He seems to be taking it somewhat well over twitter, but I don't know. He is really the odd man out in this situation.

Is it surprising that serious gamers are cynical about corporate presence in all walks of gaming media? You know how people on here feel about this kind of shit.

You have a point, and I agree with you. I feel the same way about movie studios and videogame development studios. At one time, they were independent, then that's when these companies were monopolized into larger corporate conglomerates.

Same thing with any small business. Sad thing is, like small video game sites, are being enveloped into corporations, which is bad for people trying to make their own business.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
If I take anything away from today, it's the terrible fact that no, a site like Giantbomb, even as wonderful and unanimously supported as it was, can't keep existing independently in this marketplace. That's an absolute bummer to me.

But this John Davison talk is going to be massive. I have this vibe like it'll be the scene at the end of 2001, where Dave disconnects HAL and the video screen plays what's really been happening all along, hahaha.

364_30_2001-A-space-odyssey-1968.png

8RrLj.png

Shit like that justifies keeping around images forever...

It's not. They've said that he and John Davison are going to sit down and tell the full story. With him coming back, it allowed for the NDA to be lifted.

Weird. I never went to gamespot or knew of Gertsmann until that mess all happened. So, what was Davison at the time? Would he have been the one to drop the hammer? If so, that seems like it could be pretty awkward.

sixghost

Weird. I never went to gamespot or knew of Gertsmann until that mess all happened. So, what was Davison at the time? Would he have been the one to drop the hammer? If so, that seems like it could be pretty awkward.

I don't think the other guy was any part of it. I imagine Jeff is going to be doing most of the talking about the incident. Then the other guy will reinforce why it won't happen again.

Jeff has too much class to really go in hard on the people who fucked him, though. It's not going to be as interesting as people think, I believe.

No, Davison joined Gamespot relatively recently. The people who fired Jeff aren't around anymore.

JABEE

He was working at 1UP/What They Play. He had nothing to do with GameSpot back then. He's a main figure in the glory years of 1UP.

LCfiner

If I take anything away from today, it's the terrible fact that no, a site like Giantbomb, even as wonderful and unanimously supported as it was, can't keep existing independently in this marketplace. That's an absolute bummer to me.

But this John Davison talk is going to be massive. I have this vibe like it'll be the scene at the end of 2001, where Dave disconnects HAL and the video screen plays what's really been happening all along, hahaha.

364_30_2001-A-space-odyssey-1968.png

same here. a site with no video content and some writers can get by.

But the amount of stuff they put up that requires multiple video editors, multiple writers, travelling to events, etc, just requires more money.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Anyway I hope they don't lose their soul over this.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

8RrLj.png

Master of the Google Search

Hoo-doo

Banned
I wonder if there's going to be a Tested podcast today. Oh God, I would freak out if Jamie and Adam were guests. :D

They were recording an hour ago, so I think there will be a podcast. Can't wait to hear more info on the Mythbusters stuff.

Dave Snider @ GB chat said:
@panda21 Drew's been learning DCS: Black Shark. Sure a QL will happen eventually.

Hooray!

I don't think the other guy was any part of it. I imagine Jeff is going to be doing most of the talking about the incident. Then the other guy will reinforce why it won't happen again.

Jeff has too much class to really go in hard on the people who fucked him, though. It's not going to be as interesting as people think, I believe.

They're going to have to lay it all out in the open if they want people to be cool with this.

I cancelled my Gamespot subscription the day this happened deleted my account and never looked back. Haven't been to Gamespot again since.

They need to sell that things have changed and that this will work.
I literally have no knowledge of what Gamespot has been doing post 2007, who works there and what the average gamer thinks of them. I was livid with what happened to Jeff, and voted with my wallet and my hits, so we'll see.

Will certainly be interesting to watch. I can't wait to get the lowdown.

Top Bottom