• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Mascot

Lovely sunny, warm, and muddy blast this morning. This afternoon I shall be mainly snoozing in the garden and grabbing the arse-end of summer while it lasts.

Ripenen

I saw a tandem mountain bike during my ride on Sunday. I'd like to see those guys navigating some technical trails.

I also saw my first Canyon in the US the other day on the back of someone's car.

Check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH9zTVJJ_Yw

I've had my Canyon for a couple weeks now and got a number of comments. Haven't seen any others yet here in TX. I mostly only see Santa Cruz and Specialized bikes out here.

kottila

Hope you guys will be watching the itt world championships tomorrow. Uncharacteristley it ends with a climb up the mountain next to the city center. I promise amazing scenery and a great race. Will be up in the mountain early to get a good viewpoint

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
My maximum speed seems to be 35km/h. Is this good for a non racing bicycle with not much cycling gear? I feel like at that speed, the wind is too much.

Can you believe that guy who just finished cycling around the world in 78 days?
He had to average 380 kms per day, and slept for 5 hours a night.
He said he has to relearn standing and walking now.

I am trying to picture him on his connecting flights, ordering all the food, sleeping like s baby..

Those flights would be properly short, and having done a bunch of bikepacking, I know I sure as shit wouldn't want to be anywhere near him on them. :D

Those flights would be properly short, and having done a bunch of bikepacking, I know I sure as shit wouldn't want to be anywhere near him on them. :D

I think they were long because he only took three, one to get across the atlantic one to get from north asia to australia, and one from australia to western usa. As far as possible it was on land.. http://www.artemisworldcycle.com/the-challenge/

oh i missed one flight. the bugger even did new zealand, from bottom to top.

Spanglo

Neo Member
Perfect day for a ride to the beach...

kDmWWMkyofLgiWfjlPNhtmjSdyrVrb3BaPjgFGgn9yWxxoyr9YVDg_XZ_1sssw8cBSczS5I0DbV5xilcydRmvR5ETdpdJWAunhPrD5yj1wihaQ8FfkipywRFcaeRqsFydMHfVR0ud1yLpp-DSo3TmG_SJA_WnBzkoIeaYfck_vzMzcN8RzO-8yfX1iW4WCEoxwlwEpOg-Z2wbTxja1xhUZhVE_ZQpm5Usl0MAcfM3M0cOulNyrJ3rniaCQ5BCOTOUbGn90G0uDn2w24WhuF0yvYIdWpB2xdUB35DH9TZhbRBoQe79Wiv9flbepVGU70n2FYspURYZKiXqqxD_Laj8Qo5dbiBHkniIB6n_AMpoDYKqVMdEkbJs1rMhAYHd9jsNVJQ7yUNap2pTg4Xn2jO_XEkJIoMrKhjUGdDo5cjNg8oblTdKWMwPHKI5TVZgrX2c_nLPXzfsXJ3h0e34W57ofdv0tpxgpiOM3HbRLtLwxYzWL8uKfMsbVfK5CaD3DWjSIUwgBR2QOBSqmhZdQ9xROJOqijyI3L6P1NSXedCuMuoSVFwHsi1ysIkpFQQ4nX99hi5neL2FqWxeoWFIeSZJo1MQ74MhrUMkWllaeVlKppoVwOBUJ5yxW1MyeEhBASjSiKiskxlaUKW2qOzQVhQNg847R0Q2mTtUfs=w1125-h843-no

wuAUFl5Y9PUAb9oaCp5vg-xWFCsZB7eggVEtHIQvYqvuliJwFdJhbE0zSVqjzti6DAMTWoiwyRKOGMi34Bf8eGEOLkDOOI29w1m8CKcggMWAII4m7GuffATyZ08jGCSzLOZhag6rKceKTw8HvCvG9XCMP0e3ak5NVRFia2YHiNAog2s8eUWKdF9yuaYvx7BNP4XP7JJs6dKkffAxxgTYiwjDTwz80ENQErA5UxUi6Bccq5q1OpTeQYAXAzakUxDveXrGjFaWdrK78cYB6mGDRlCJ87Kdci710FiUseEfNrLhuMtZIGlDCfq4oo9pmybJG7oCyBQ4mkzoL8JOVF6pzHdCk-KWSy-xJexGQ1RuHJZk_9sol3n81psqWDGsVP8OjXpMp2mMVsBrs9_YdAmnJnH_xTes03yL4ccGEC65UdRnhgA6QCuDe0LvqnkOaEAvOXkdKicNUZHA9PvLIozDQidkB7xx1PBMiS8_DwHt49d-M8GkUn5WovFCLMi7FYHVvehq-8bmjCz9GDCXZzB8_Pdz9eNBf17snsDvwT2L2_MIV9I1siZhiNWQKagdtGFJcICLbfYjCTS4gvdwCxmrQoVgOyYqyaWjvlECTBvfjoeIvawd8O2ajS7cjfPkdNBdcErayrZL7zGKHeHi3_s2w9itVekRoISV3PI=w1124-h843-no

UkB13AOZZRIaMjj3EAn-mRI2hw-YnvkRs5GbYHIcXyDYccm6_rA_HSuuy8WEEoH1Isg5Vrusi1gREOUk0yT6n-b141B59HZ1ZKq8bNHygD4GBF56WZ8KdWyF35RHMiARtKuL_a32-8B0PowZnI2UhGBwIp2I-uOFz_z3L-8AM5R_CZsJLwh7G3e3ALXWb6da38WSoKOF84L2aBp81iXAx2ShGndUhxYnUa1M4yZgqK4mGnzdhwLkcyKRGOLZRZwo62h0Ojy0Z3NFxiZofxXDw0QSLVtkpgzIErECk_u3TMUs5Q1N_cl1TP0kA4OvBRx-dBMNHFuBBhQfmu97OhnmVMVFqRCcghnr00w6J8NEkqwu9ljjrh5DVm1dj9-pwfxbsuIClxwS3_1QtBS8Q0jaTBsueMAsT3uJBe1Eht6JO9HYOLGDe861j8Uve0HTAfQV3fcSF5xGJK2gVI_6_lLvH_OGCa_0h4_JqFyLt3MlO4Umw63X0Qo_un1GLWbDDL454pcmduJFQ3UGaanlVeQuxXfBUDKWAKA1EadfTGy0jpfszJi6MZIF-CmSG4n56QiKupEHcqRXmd6yitWs---_bH1-KigwRi4vvWr_Dg9JjyoIHqEQqKIG2aZv4UBtf_oPyKCV8Qyq7Z_N578Jb2vvOy0cj1jLLb03WAA=w1124-h843-no

Nice. That's just like a typical Finnish trail except we have roots criss crossing the whole thing, there's a bunch of rounded rocks everywhere and it's constantly wet.

edit: referring to TarpitCarnivore's pic, not Mascots mud paradise.

Speaking of roots, from people riding the trails in the summer and the rain new roots emerged in this one sharp turn + climb. The first time I hit it again after a few months I screamed 'what the fuck' b/c it took me by surprise.

thomaser

World champs...
Tom smashed it, fair play.

Fair play to the Norwegian crowd too. Enthusiastic without being wankers on the whole.

I had a four-day ride last week from Drammen (outside Oslo) to Bergen. The company I work for sponsors the WC, so we made the trip to celebrate that. 400 kms in total in gorgeous weather. Got to ride in the circuit in the center of Bergen during the opening ceremony after a clueless policeman let us in. He wasn't aware that a big marching band came our way right around the corner, and we almost crashed into them, but managed to duck into a side-opening moments before.

I apologize, but here are some photos:

Pause at the top after a looong climb.

Sleeping in an old train out in a forest. Just the kind of place you want to stretch out after a tough ride. Except you can't. Stretch out, that is. Cause the sleeping compartment was so cramped.

Riding over Hardangervidda, a very large mountain plateau. The weather is often harsh up there, but we were really lucky and had great conditions. No wind, even!

Panorama-shot on Hardangervidda. We came down the road on the left side, and continued up on the right.

After the long descent from the plateau, we reached this old, disused road next to a beautiful lake.

Went through a village where people knit socks for their trees.

Taking a tiny, little ferry over a large fjord...

Crossing the Hardangerfjord. Not too shabby.

Gotta make queues when we ride on narrow roads.

ShapeGSX

World champs...
Tom smashed it, fair play.

Fair play to the Norwegian crowd too. Enthusiastic without being wankers on the whole.

I can't believe he destroyed 2nd place by so much.
57 seconds?!
And he had to slow down because it started raining! He's been reported as saying he thought his power meter was broken because it was reading so high.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJRVqmvQ8bk

Video of the end:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l63K3RrvgKI

25.8mph. With that climb. Holy crap.

So my power output is getting even worse. Couldn't even hold 90% on the trainer tonight. Time to make a doctor's appointment I think. Something is definitely wrong.

Not even close. I took two weeks off and I've been unable to even do a normal week of training since.

I've been continuously exhausted since I got back. I've literally never overslept in my life and in the last month I've managed to get up when my alarm went off precisely once. Other than that I've been hitting snooze repeatedly.

Couple of times I've nearly fallen asleep in the day time, and yesterday I felt dizzy for about half the day.

Not to my knowledge, no. Overtraining is usually something that sneaks up on you, rather than something you see after a rest. More than that, I've got metrics such as heart rate variability and resting heart rate saying otherwise (they're well in line with what I was seeing when I was in good form).

ThisGuy

What do you think it could be psychotext?

So, I finally finished my purchases. Bike pump, saddle bag, tools, spare tube. I'm good. One question, how do you guys handle your lock situation? I got an on guard lock, comes with a bracket to attach it to the bike.

Buuuuut I think I'm just going to toss it into my back pack when I feel I need it. What do you guys do?

Buuuuut I think I'm just going to toss it into my back pack when I feel I need it. What do you guys do?

I'm almost always riding for pleasure with no intention of stopping where I'd need a lock, or commuting in which case it comes in the office. On those rare occasions when I do need a lock for a stop, I carry a Kryptonite U lock (modern keyed, not barrel) with coated flex cable for the front wheel. U goes through rear wheel, frame, and post.

ThisGuy

I'm almost always riding for pleasure with no intention of stopping where I'd need a lock, or commuting in which case it comes in the office. On those rare occasions when I do need a lock for a stop, I carry a Kryptonite U lock (modern keyed, not barrel) with coated flex cable for the front wheel. U goes through rear wheel, frame, and post.

That's how I feel about it for the most part. I picked up an 'on guard' mini bulldog, small u lock with a cable. I wonder if the smaller u loop is big enough to get around post, rear wheel, and frame.

Mascot

Not even close. I took two weeks off and I've been unable to even do a normal week of training since.

I've been continuously exhausted since I got back. I've literally never overslept in my life and in the last month I've managed to get up when my alarm went off precisely once. Other than that I've been hitting snooze repeatedly.

Couple of times I've nearly fallen asleep in the day time, and yesterday I felt dizzy for about half the day.

It's God's way of telling you to enjoy your cycling. He's got plenty of painful plans for you when you're dead.

Top Bottom