• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Google Pixel (OT) : Page 25
DizzyCaffeine
Member
(06-09-2017, 07:43 PM)
DizzyCaffeine's Avatar

Originally Posted by redlegs87

Just got it all set up and man what have I been missing. Everything downloaded and installed instantly unlike my 5x where it'd download wait on install for like 10 seconds then move on. No screen lag that I can tell. Can't wait to test this camera out later.

So jealous. Mine is only 51 miles away but FedEx is still saying I'll get it on Monday.
Fulminator
Member
(06-09-2017, 08:05 PM)
Fulminator's Avatar

Originally Posted by lcbrus

I'm pretty sure the warranty is for one year. Get in contact with Google and they should take care of it.

Alright I'll contact them thanks
redlegs87
Member
(06-09-2017, 09:18 PM)
redlegs87's Avatar

Originally Posted by DizzyCaffeine

So jealous. Mine is only 51 miles away but FedEx is still saying I'll get it on Monday.

I can never go back to mid tier or lower phones ever again. I am still tweaking some things but it's awesome. The screen protector I got though sucked left a small part of the screen on each side uncovered.
Darren870
Member
(06-29-2017, 02:38 PM)
Darren870's Avatar
Well after my Nexus 5X was just stolen I am in the market for a Pixel. Whats the cheapest/best place to get one in the current market?
Brandwin
Member
(07-03-2017, 05:01 PM)
Brandwin's Avatar
Google sending me a refubished Pixel XL. The wifi just stopped connecting on mine and I tried all the trouble shooting tips. Should have it tomorrow. I am always afriad they get mine in and can connect and charge me full price, but the rep said as long as there isn't physical damage to the phone, I am good.
linkboy
Member
(07-07-2017, 02:27 AM)
linkboy's Avatar
I just bought a black 128GB XL off of Swappa, can't wait to get it. I was separated from the Air Force and got some separation pay, this phone is my gift to myself since most of the money has gone to bills. I have a 6P that's in mint condition (not a scratch on it, or any of the battery/reboot issues), so I'm going to sell that to help offset the cost.

I opted for this case because I prefer wallet style cases, since I hate having things in my right front pocket (my phone/wallet go in my left pocket).

BeforeU
Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
(07-07-2017, 02:47 AM)
BeforeU's Avatar

Originally Posted by linkboy

I just bought a black 128GB XL off of Swappa, can't wait to get it. I was separated from the Air Force and got some separation pay, this phone is my gift to myself since most of the money has gone to bills. I have a 6P that's in mint condition (not a scratch on it, or any of the battery/reboot issues), so I'm going to sell that to help offset the cost.

I opted for this case because I prefer wallet style cases, since I hate having things in my right front pocket (my phone/wallet go in my left pocket).

This was one of the best phone I have owned, you are going to love it. I gave mine to my dad, and personally waiting for S8+. But Pixel is best at everything a smartphone should do.
C-Jo
Phoenix Labs Dev
(07-08-2017, 01:14 AM)
C-Jo's Avatar

Originally Posted by reelbigtink

My battery life has gone from fantastic to godawful in 3 months. I can barely make it through a work day with like 30 minutes of screen on time and go from 100% to dead. Says Google Services is using the vast majority of battery powered. Is this common at all?

Have you resolved this issue?

It started happening to me a few weeks ago, and I haven't been able to do much about it. I've just been packing battery packs with me everywhere I go.
MisterNugNug
Member
(08-05-2017, 05:01 AM)
MisterNugNug's Avatar
Anyone come across sales for the XL. I was thinking of getting the Pixel 2, but the Pixel XL should suit me just fine. I guess just wait longer till they release more official news on the Pixel 2? I'm long due for an upgrade (HTC One M8).
DizzyCaffeine
Member
(08-05-2017, 05:16 AM)
DizzyCaffeine's Avatar

Originally Posted by C-Jo

Have you resolved this issue?

It started happening to me a few weeks ago, and I haven't been able to do much about it. I've just been packing battery packs with me everywhere I go.

This is starting to happen to me too. Admittedly, I'm on my phone a lot, but should Google Play Services be eating up 17% of my battery?
lunchtoast
Member
(08-06-2017, 11:47 PM)
lunchtoast's Avatar
Thinking of getting a Pixel. There's a sale at the google store

Google Pixel - $525 (-$125 off)
Google Pixel XL - $569 (-$200 off)

Also half off select cases and Daydream View for free when you get a phone.
DizzyCaffeine
Member
(08-07-2017, 12:35 AM)
DizzyCaffeine's Avatar

Originally Posted by lunchtoast

Thinking of getting a Pixel. There's a sale at the google store

Google Pixel - $525 (-$125 off)
Google Pixel XL - $569 (-$200 off)

Also half off select cases and Daydream View for free when you get a phone.

That deal is fire. Do it...but get the XL.
Erv
Member
(08-07-2017, 12:37 AM)
Erv's Avatar
So is the pixel 2 gonna have a huge bezel or not. The leaks seem inconsistent
BeforeU
Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
(08-07-2017, 12:41 AM)
BeforeU's Avatar

Originally Posted by Erv

So is the pixel 2 gonna have a huge bezel or not. The leaks seem inconsistent

Pixel 2 same bazel as current Pixel

Pixel 2 XL Galaxy S8 type bazel
lunchtoast
Member
(08-07-2017, 02:50 AM)
lunchtoast's Avatar

Originally Posted by DizzyCaffeine

That deal is fire. Do it...but get the XL.

Does the XL bigger battery help that much? Don't want a phone that big.
thespot84
Member
(08-07-2017, 03:43 AM)
thespot84's Avatar

Originally Posted by lunchtoast

Does the XL bigger battery help that much? Don't want a phone that big.

unless there's a runaway app I have not had battery issues with the regular pixel battery, it's damn good in fact.
Reszo
Member
(08-08-2017, 04:24 AM)
Reszo's Avatar
Just saw the Pixel is 200 off, wondering if I should get it or wait for Pixel 2. Would be upgrading from a Nexus 6
ratcliffja
Member
(08-08-2017, 04:28 AM)
ratcliffja's Avatar
My 6p is on its last legs (it has less than an hour of on-screen battery life). With the bad rumors about the Pixel 2, would you guys say the Pixel XL is the best way to go?
HeySeuss
Member
(08-08-2017, 04:29 AM)
HeySeuss's Avatar
My battery doesn't last a day anymore but mine is also a launch one. I'd be around 25-30% after and 8 hour shift at work by the time I got home. And that's only periodic checks if Facebook.
MisterNugNug
Member
(08-08-2017, 04:49 AM)
MisterNugNug's Avatar
Bought the XL and a Rhinoguard case. Should be here soon, can't wait!

I'm coming from a HTC One (M7)
andthebeatgoeson
Junior Member
(08-09-2017, 01:02 AM)
andthebeatgoeson's Avatar
I've heard rumors that the new update is draining the battery and I've had a hell of a time today since updating last night. I've charged 3 times.
newdayrocks
Member
(08-09-2017, 02:30 AM)
newdayrocks's Avatar

Originally Posted by andthebeatgoeson

I've heard rumors that the new update is draining the battery and I've had a hell of a time today since updating last night. I've charged 3 times.

My XL hasn't been quite that bad, but this is me on the latest security update after 12.5 hours off power and 3.5 hours of SOT:

capslock
Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
(08-21-2017, 04:00 PM)
Just got the Pixel XL and goddamn it's beautiful. So fast and smooth. Beautiful screen, amazing camera. This is what the Nexus 6P should have been.
lunchtoast
Member
(08-21-2017, 04:21 PM)
lunchtoast's Avatar
Liking the pixel so far compared to the 5x. No more apps closing and no hangups/slowdown so far. Ordered the case from the google store but ended up returning it. Rubber texture was too grippy and was annoying to take in and out of pocket. Ordered a TPU spigen case off amazon and working great, and applied a fully covered screen protector.
SoldierOfLight
Member
(08-22-2017, 01:59 AM)

Originally Posted by capslock

Just got the Pixel XL and goddamn it's beautiful. So fast and smooth. Beautiful screen, amazing camera. This is what the Nexus 6P should have been.

Had the phone since the first month due to the whole Samsung Note 7 stuff. My only complaint is the unnecessary space on the top and bottom portion of the phone.
DizzyCaffeine
Member
(08-23-2017, 01:05 AM)
DizzyCaffeine's Avatar
Talked to CS today and they're shipping me a new phone. Battery life has been abysmal. 100% at 8am and all the way down to 25% by 5pm with moderate usage. I just don't get it...it's only 3 months old.

Otherwise, the phone is awesome.
Swig_
Member
(08-25-2017, 06:15 PM)
Swig_'s Avatar
Has anyone had both a Galaxy S8 and a Pixel? I have to get a new phone for work and I'm trying to decide. I have the option of the regular S8 or the Pixel or PixelXL. I'm not sure how to make that decision. I loved my old Nexus 5.
The Faceless Master
(08-26-2017, 01:49 AM)
The Faceless Master's Avatar

Originally Posted by Swig_

Has anyone had both a Galaxy S8 and a Pixel? I have to get a new phone for work and I'm trying to decide. I have the option of the regular S8 or the Pixel or PixelXL. I'm not sure how to make that decision. I loved my old Nexus 5.

get the Pixel XL if you really loved the Nexus 5 like you say you did.
Swig_
Member
(08-26-2017, 10:32 PM)
Swig_'s Avatar
Is there a fix for the camera halo I keep hearing about? That kind of sucks.. :|
Orkidea
Member
(09-02-2017, 01:18 AM)
This phone still good? My iPhone 6S broke and looking to change phones. Debating on this or waiting until Pixel 2 is announced but obviously that would cost more
Edzi
Member
(09-02-2017, 01:19 AM)
Edzi's Avatar
So I'm in the market for a new phone right now, but I'm guessing it's better to wait for the pixel 2 announcement at this point right?
linkboy
Member
(09-02-2017, 01:20 AM)
linkboy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Orkidea

This phone still good? My iPhone 6S broke and looking to change phones. Debating on this or waiting until Pixel 2 is announced but obviously that would cost more

I'm still enjoying my XL. It does everything that I need it to and I've got no reason to upgrade for the foreseeable future.
SMattera
Member
(09-06-2017, 08:58 AM)
I absolutely loved this phone from launch until about May of this year.

Since then I've had poor battery life and bad signal quality. The phone also gets really hot when doing trivial tasks. Verizon shipped me two replacement phones and a new SIM card, and the issues persist.

I upgraded to Oreo and the battery life has gotten even worse. The phone doesn't drain as much battery in stand by, but when I'm using it, I will lose about 1% battery every minute. Also, the phone will randomly reboot if I'm watching YouTube.

Debating on whether or not I should switch back to iPhone, or get an S8+. After this experience, I wouldn't recommend a Pixel to anyone and I'll never buy any more Google hardware.
Arrowgigantic
Member
(09-07-2017, 02:15 AM)
Arrowgigantic's Avatar
Just got Oreo over the air on my Pixel XL.
KrakaJak
Junior Member
(09-07-2017, 02:18 AM)
KrakaJak's Avatar

Originally Posted by SMattera

I absolutely loved this phone from launch until about May of this year.

Since then I've had poor battery life and bad signal quality. The phone also gets really hot when doing trivial tasks. Verizon shipped me two replacement phones and a new SIM card, and the issues persist.

I upgraded to Oreo and the battery life has gotten even worse. The phone doesn't drain as much battery in stand by, but when I'm using it, I will lose about 1% battery every minute. Also, the phone will randomly reboot if I'm watching YouTube.

Debating on whether or not I should switch back to iPhone, or get an S8+. After this experience, I wouldn't recommend a Pixel to anyone and I'll never buy any more Google hardware.

It's probably a software issue then. Certain apps can wreck phones.
Shadow Puppetry
Member
(09-07-2017, 02:19 AM)
Shadow Puppetry's Avatar

Originally Posted by DizzyCaffeine

Talked to CS today and they're shipping me a new phone. Battery life has been abysmal. 100% at 8am and all the way down to 25% by 5pm with moderate usage. I just don't get it...it's only 3 months old.

Otherwise, the phone is awesome.

Did you updated to Android Oreo? Battery is horrendous with that OS.
theepicoftyler
Member
(09-07-2017, 02:21 AM)
Just got a used Pixel last week... I'm getting like 24 hours of battery a day. Should I avoid the Oreo update?

One of the reasons I dumped my Nexus 6P and got a Pixel was the battery was trash.
Shadow Puppetry
Member
(09-07-2017, 02:22 AM)
Shadow Puppetry's Avatar

Originally Posted by theepicoftyler

Just got a used Pixel last week... I'm getting like 24 hours of battery a day. Should I avoid the Oreo update?

One of the reasons I dumped my Nexus 6P and got a Pixel was the battery was trash.

I love O but not the battery.
vypek
Member
(09-07-2017, 02:30 AM)
Subbing to this thread. My Pixel is supposed to arrive by end of day tomorrow and I'll be switching off the Nexus 6P. From what I've gleaned I'm a little nervous about the battery but it'll undoubtedly be better than my 6P
ShowDog
Member
(09-07-2017, 02:37 AM)
ShowDog's Avatar
Standby will drain the battery on my 3 week old Pixel from 100% to dead in 21 hours. This is connected to WiFi in my office and at work. It's not my primary phone so it generally just sits with the screen off. I updated to Oreo today and enabled the data saver so we'll see if that helps? It's frustrating for it to be dead when I need it. Camera is good though.

Edit: that's been my experience with 7.1. Too early to tell if Oreo will improve the situation.
UnemployedVillain
Member
(09-07-2017, 02:40 AM)
UnemployedVillain's Avatar
So it's sounding like I shouldn't have updated to Oreo -_-
The Albatross
Member
(09-07-2017, 02:42 AM)
The Albatross's Avatar
Pretty surprised to hear the bad feedback re: battery life and Android O:

Getting about the same battery life I've always gotten. ~12hours active, 1.5+ days left.



I don t really use my screen a ton, mostly just streaming, etc.
Lombax
Banned
(09-07-2017, 02:49 AM)
Lombax's Avatar
Post Oreo is chrome crashing randomly for anyone else?
maxxpower
Member
(09-07-2017, 02:53 AM)
maxxpower's Avatar
I cracked my screen last week. Now I fucking have to stare at cracked glass and can't enjoy the beautiful OLED screen.
SMattera
Member
(09-07-2017, 02:54 AM)

Originally Posted by KrakaJak

It's probably a software issue then. Certain apps can wreck phones.

The problem is the software appears to be Google's, rather than third party apps.

I ran my replacement phones stock and they suffered the same issues. Chrome seemed particularly bad at heating up the phone and draining the battery life.

My Pixel C tablet has similar issues.
rashbeep
Member
(09-07-2017, 06:04 AM)
rashbeep's Avatar
Am I missing something with this picture in picture thing? Doesn't seem to work for me. Rest of the update seems fine.
bigred50
Member
(09-08-2017, 12:26 AM)

Originally Posted by rashbeep

Am I missing something with this picture in picture thing? Doesn't seem to work for me. Rest of the update seems fine.

Make the vid fullscreen, then press the home button.

Note: It won't work with YouTube...unless you have YouTube Red
megalowho
Member
(09-08-2017, 02:20 AM)

Originally Posted by Lombax

Post Oreo is chrome crashing randomly for anyone else?

Yeah, noticed that and some other weird buggy stuff with Oreo in general. Had no problems with 7.1, for those who haven't upgraded I'd suggest holding off.
thespot84
Member
(09-08-2017, 03:26 AM)
thespot84's Avatar

Originally Posted by megalowho

Yeah, noticed that and some other weird buggy stuff with Oreo in general. Had no problems with 7.1, for those who haven't upgraded I'd suggest holding off.

only crash I get is in google now occasionally. I haven't noticed much of a benefit so far though, so I wouldn't recommend upgraded either for now
ShowDog
Member
(09-08-2017, 05:17 AM)
ShowDog's Avatar
My standby battery issue seems to be fixed with Oreo

Thread Tools