• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GPD XD Handheld Android Console

Xander51

I didn't know before this thread that the Shield Portable was discontinued! I had no idea! I love mine, bought it about 6 months after launch, and just yesterday I subscribed to GeForce Now.

I would like the look of the GPD a little more if it wasn't so obviously a rip off of the 3DS design. Seems weird to go through so much trouble to try and mimic that specific look when you could design something a little more ergonomic and suited to your own button layout.

stone drum

Neo Member
image comparison of original image with no extra settings:

jK0rETv.jpg

vs openGL, the new update's 2x option, and all settings to high:

iOGkIZW.jpg

framerate is virtually the same, but the second settings makes the health numbers flicker on and off sometimes

Odrion

Banned
Okay, mine came in from Amazon. A few first impressions:

1.) The handheld looks way nicer in person than I thought. And the screen is gorgeous.

2.) The face buttons and d-pad feel really mushy.

3.) When I opened it I saw marks on the screen indicating that the home button and other buttons on the base were pressed up on the screen.

4.) The ergonomics on this thing is a little eeeh... I wish the face buttons and stick were switched around. Maybe I need to get use to it.

5.) Lmao this thing comes pre-loaded with emulators and roms. CHINA DON'T CARE.

stone drum

Neo Member
Okay, mine came in from Amazon. A few first impressions:

1.) The handheld looks way nicer in person than I thought. And the screen is gorgeous.

2.) The face buttons and d-pad feel really mushy.

3.) When I opened it I saw marks on the screen indicating that the home button and other buttons on the base were pressed up on the screen.

4.) The ergonomics on this thing is a little eeeh... I wish the face buttons and stick were switched around. Maybe I need to get use to it.

5.) Lmao this thing comes pre-loaded with emulators and roms. CHINA DON'T CARE.

how do you feel about thr buttons and d pad being mushy??

also, i don't recommend using the built in emulators xD they aint as good

Odrion

Banned
how do you feel about thr buttons and d pad being mushy??

also, i don't recommend using the built in emulators xD they aint as good

You can get use to the mushyness, they don't hinder your control at all.

Is there a guide somewhere on how to set up the device with your own stuff?

stone drum

Neo Member
You can get use to the mushyness, they don't hinder your control at all.

Is there a guide somewhere on how to set up the device with your own stuff?

the gpd section on dingoonity is a good place to ask your questions, but they don't have an organized guide on the device like they should. I suggest you going to the playstore and downloading the following emulators- mupen 64 plus ae, snes 9x ex+, reicast, epsx3 (costs money), MD.emu, retroarch.. I believe john gbc is the best gbc emulator but think it costs money. Well, all of the emus I listed are really solid. Definitely the first 4 I listed are the best at that system.

I can help you set up certain emulators that require it :) reicast can be a little tricky, but I think I'm good at explaining what to do ˚∆˚

timshundo

Do we have a Tegra X1 version of these handhelds yet? I remember reading that the X1 would make portable gamecube/dolphin gaming much more possible.

butman

image comparison of original image with no extra settings:

framerate is virtually the same, but the second settings makes the health numbers flicker on and off sometimes

This is amazing! Waiting for that FF shots! Thank you for your time!

L.O.R.D

it's on amazon 16GB
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B014F68BJ6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

but i just saw another model with 7 inch

51dDe3%2BHklL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0158AL2WG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Game center:Support Android Gravity and Touch games, ARCADE games, PSP games,NDS games,GBA games,N64 3D games,SFC and MD games,DC games,etc
5-Point capacitive touch screen Screen: 7 Inch IPS Hard Screen; 1024*600px
Button mapping + 1080 professional HDMI output screen TV + Professinal game button control
CPU: ARM Cortex A9 1.6GHz ; GPU: ARM Mali 400 MP4 3D graphics acceleration hardware
Special Game Button: Dual joysticks, dual LR buttons and dual speakers, crossing, ABXY physical button.

and this with 5 inch

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015892TCY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Game center:Support Android Gravity and Touch games, ARCADE games, PSP games,NDS games,GBA games,N64 3D games,SFC and MD games,DC games,etc
5-Point capacitive touch screen Screen: 7 Inch IPS Hard Screen; 1024*600px
Button mapping + 1080 professional HDMI output screen TV + Professinal game button control
CPU: ARM Cortex-A17 1.8GHz ; GPU: ARM Mali-T764 3D graphics acceleration hardware GPU
Special Game Button: Dual joysticks, dual LR buttons and dual speakers, crossing, ABXY physical button.

it's says 5 inch , but in the description says 7 inch

hmmmmm

stone drum

Neo Member
it's on amazon 16GB
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B014F68BJ6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

but i just saw another model with 7 inch

51dDe3%2BHklL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0158AL2WG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

and this with 5 inch

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015892TCY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

it's says 5 inch , but in the description says 7 inch

hmmmmm

i wouldn't go for those. They have poor build quality, even though they are gpd devices. The gpd xd is by far the best built of those devices. On the Q9, the d pad, though styled
like a saturn pad, breaks easily. Just go over to dingoonity and take a look for yourself. (also not as powerful and what not)

XAyUJNO.jpg

If you were to ask which gpd device to get, im sure everyone would recommend the xd.

stone drum

Neo Member
I had to use fpse to get ff7 working on this device. Dunno why, but it's probably fixable to play it on epsxe. I much prefer epsxe.
fj1LEnZ.png

GkCcIhX.png

pujPoKx.png

1LPveRE.png

framerate stayed the same, again. solid near 60s during actual gameplay control. Conclusion- poor results. OpenGL and other graphics enhancements mainly work with 3d objects, but ff7 doesnt have much of that

Funstock Retro should be stocking them soon

Okay, I might have to get this.

Did they ever patch controller options for the Final Fantasy games? IV did (although it was a mapped a little weird on a DS3) but it'd be nice if the 2D ones did too.
I may have to get this too, woohoo. Does anyone have experience of this retailer? Do they charge you immediately on preorder? Any issues with returns?

butman

I had to use fpse to get ff7 working on this device. Dunno why, but it's probably fixable to play it on epsxe. I much prefer epsxe.
fj1LEnZ.png

GkCcIhX.png

pujPoKx.png

1LPveRE.png

framerate stayed the same, again. solid near 60s during actual gameplay control. Conclusion- poor results. OpenGL and other graphics enhancements mainly work with 3d objects, but ff7 doesnt have much of that

Great! Didn't know that fpse was able to run OpenGL plugin too.

Blue Lou

The GPD XD is capable of playing: PS1, MAME, Dreamcast, N64, NeoGeo, Atari, NES, SNES, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, Gameboy Advance, SEGA Master System, SEGA Mega Drive, CPS1, CPS2, Amiga, Commodore 64, ZX Spectrum and many more!

I didn't know this kind of thing was possible.

Mihos

Gold Member
i wouldn't go for those. They have poor build quality, even though they are gpd devices. The gpd xd is by far the best built of those devices. On the Q9, the d pad, though styled

If you were to ask which gpd device to get, im sure everyone would recommend the xd.

XD is their best built device and my favorite GPD, but they underclocked the hell out of it. It is running @1.2ghz, even though it is a 1.8ghz device. That is why psp runs like crap compared to my JXD devices. (There is a new 7" JXD out I am trying to order). I hate that it doesn't have 5ghz wireless. Games streaming runs horrible. Nice screen at least.

I did see some leaked specs on a new Shield portable somewhere, not sure how true it is. I collect these weird systems, so I usually get them all eventually.
Edit, new jxd
http://www.jxd.hk/game-console/s192/

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
XD is their best built device and my favorite GPD, but they underclocked the hell out of it. It is running @1.2ghz, even though it is a 1.8ghz device. That is why psp runs like crap compared to my JXD devices. (There is a new 7" JXD out I am trying to order). I hate that it doesn't have 5ghz wireless. Games streaming runs horrible. Nice screen at least.

I did see some leaked specs on a new Shield portable somewhere, not sure how true it is. I collect these weird systems, so I usually get them all eventually.

Some are legit since they appear on the FCC site, but the devices never make it.

I thought that was going to be based on Tegra X1 ;( .

Edit, new jxd

Wow. That new JXD looks interesting. Not very portable, but beastly in terms of specs.

L.O.R.D

Edit, new jxd

that desgin !

list-title-S192-600-6001.jpg

xcljjuL.jpg

what the hell they are thinking ?

also , why 7 inch ?

Rich!

Ehhh I've slightly gone off buying this handheld since the enormous strides the N3DS has taken with homebrew and retroarch.

May do if a deal comes up on eBay though, I love my crazy ass hardware.

stone drum

Neo Member
To be fair, they haven't been coy about what you should and shouldn't expect to be able to play. Everywhere that they mention the capabilities of the device, the list only ever goes up to Dreamcast.

yeah, ive read it has slowdown on psp. but maybe more an issue of the emulation than the power of the system since dc is really solid

Fat4all

Banned
I was wondering what the most affordable handheld emulation device would be, for GB, GBC, and GBA games? I would be willing to pay more for quality built devices, though.

RM8

I'd kill (or severely injure) for one of these that was small. like, original GBA size or something like that. Of course that's never happening :(

stone drum

Neo Member
I was wondering what the most affordable handheld emulation device would be, for GB, GBC, and GBA games? I would be willing to pay more for quality built devices, though.

Psp. Can get one on eBay for 50-70. Does go-gba emulation very well. Or maybe your smart phone

Reminds me of the Pandora? Remember that? It was basically an ultra portable linux computer with a keyboard and everything with some pretty impressive gaming abilities. Always wanted one until I got a smartphone. This still seems cool though.

Reminds me of the Pandora? Remember that? It was basically an ultra portable linux computer with a keyboard and everything with some pretty impressive gaming abilities. Always wanted one until I got a smartphone. This still seems cool though.

All it is missing really is a keyboard. I agree with some others who've said that might have been too much and messed with the aesthetic, but I guess for those that'd want it, it is too bad it wasn't included.

Man if someone could give me a review of this playing WWF No Mercy (N64) and SF Third Strike (DC) I'll get one asap. This is literally a dream device for me

whitehawk

Banned
Looks very interesting. Where would be the best place to buy this as a Canadian?
The guy doesn't even configure the emulator. better watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WcYEx0TvuY

that still not good for god of war
No doubt, but god of war PSP is a different beast. I believe it's one of the few games that ran at 333mhz rather than 222mhz like most games. My Nexus 4 can even run games like Ridge Racer at near full speed. I'm sure this device can run most PSP games.

edit: how is this guy streaming a PS3? https://youtu.be/CPLD0l4YzRg

stone drum

Neo Member
Man if someone could give me a review of this playing WWF No Mercy (N64) and SF Third Strike (DC) I'll get one asap. This is literally a dream device for me

i'll do it for ya. I already played 3rd strike on here but not on DC. i'll try it on dc for you, but im guessing both games will run flawlessly...

PaulloDEC

Finally gave in and ordered one on Ebay, but free shipping being the only option means I likely won't be seeing it for a few weeks yet.

Will report back once I've got my hands on it.

Maximo

Finally gave in and ordered one on Ebay, but free shipping being the only option means I likely won't be seeing it for a few weeks yet.

Will report back once I've got my hands on it.
Yeah might end up getting one too. What did the price end up being?

Top Bottom